Author Topic: A Fresh Start  (Read 32738 times)

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Re: A Fresh Start
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2019, 01:08:32 PM »
Mitri offered her a small playful grin in return as she laid back against the seat. He had noticed how much this song had taken out of her. As a result he already was planning on giving her enough to recuperate. If he had let himself truly let go, he could have run circles around her given their race differences, but he didn't want to do this. He wanted to be patient and to just enjoy her company. Also this meant he could entertain Aislin at the same time.

"That is cool with me. I'll do all the dancing for both of us this round. And who knows I might be able to get you to join in." he said warmly as he picked up the tablet so that they could choose their next song. He then brightened at her question. "I think that after those two songs. I'm feeling a little Bowie." he said. For a second or two as he glanced at the screen, he was tempted to chose 'Under Pressure' but instead he choose 'Underground' instead. It was a subtle nod to his heritage but also honoring a damned good singer.

As the song began, he adopted a Bowie-esque stance as he sang into the mike,

"No one can blame you for walking away, but too much rejection, uh-huh.
No love injection, nothing."

This time he pantomiming walking away with his index and middle fingers. Then giving mock gave himself a shot in the arm with said appendages.
"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." -Siddhartha Buddha

Arutha, Declan, Kevla, Kieran, Mitrius

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2019, 04:08:47 PM »
Images of herself, held listless within Mitri’s arms, with her feet overlapping his, flit through Aislin’s mind; prompted by the idea that he would do all of the dancing for them both. She couldn’t help but snort in amusement, shaking her head against the cushion in denial of the fantasy.

When the song began, she laughed again, this time into the microphone. “I don’t know this one well enough to sing!” She protested half-heartedly. She might have managed, were she to keep her eyes fixed upon the lyrics on screen. Watching Mitri, however, proved far more entertaining - and she rewarded his efforts with that same bright smile that threatened to split her face in two.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2019, 12:29:21 PM »
The sound of her laughter was like music to his ears. It widened the smile that never seemed to stop when he was around her. So when she half protested Mitri offered her a small playful wink in return and said, "Next one is your choice and we'll do it properly." This was okay. He would entertain Aislin this time around and the next song they could truly have a duet.

His eyes flicked once to the screen as the next stanza came on before shifting back to Aislin.

"Life can be easy. It's not always swell
Don't tell me truth hurts, little girl.'Cause it hurts like hell."

At this part of the song, he pantomimed being shot in the heart with cupid's arrow. Yes, he knew he was being ridiculous, but the look on Ash's face made it all worth it. And he kept it up right until the last note played.
"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." -Siddhartha Buddha

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2019, 12:11:24 PM »
Ash was convinced that Mitri must have been a performer in a past life. She could visualize it: him on a stage somewhere, surrounded by throngs of screaming devotees. Embarrassingly enough, she could picture herself among them; with romanticized notions of what it might be like to meet the artist. His general goofiness only added to the appeal, and wasn’t enough to cover up the fact that he had a genuine talent for what he was doing.

She kept her smile until the song was over; left it lingering even when the final notes began to taper off. Finally, she pushed herself up from her laze, and leaned toward the tablet to make their next selection. Elton, since the last had been Bowie. A song that anyone would know.

As the pianistic preface to Tiny Dancer began to play, Aislin moved to stand beside Mitri with microphone in hand. “You know this one, right?” She clarified, expecting he would.

... Right on cue, she sang, “Blue jean baby, L.A. lady; seamstress for the band... Pretty-eyed, pirate smile; you’ll marry a music man.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2019, 11:59:46 AM »
It was far from the first time that Mitri had sung in front of anyone. Over the years, he had had multiple careers. Every forty odd years or so, he let himself indulge his inner diva and entertain others as a singer either in a band or one his own. He had always been careful to not let them as a band or himself on his own to get too popular. For popularity drew attention, both good and bad. Still this didn't stop him from having fun both then and now. Also the look on Aislin's face made it all worth it.

As when the song's last notes drifted off, he gave a gallant bow and then grinned over at her. His eyes then lit up as he heard the piano introduction of the song that she had next selected play. "Hell yeah, I do." he replied delightedly, watching as she joined him standing.

"Ballerina, you must have seen her dancing in the sand. And now she's in me, always with me, tiny dancer in my hand." he sang. He was starting to sway in tune to the notes as he once more sought out her gaze.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2019, 07:30:26 AM »
Likewise, Aislin began to sway. She knew the words to this song well, and had no need of the prompter; thus, she met Mitri’s seeking focus. By the time they reached the pre-chorus, however, she found herself no longer able to maintain the contact. They were alone in this room, and the lyrics suddenly felt too intimate. She closed her eyes against his under the guise of fervor for the words she sang.

Oh, how it feels so real; lying here, with no one near; only you, and you can hear me; when I say softly, slowly...” Butterflies began to flutter and churn within the pit of her stomach. Morpho butterflies, she imagined; the very same that congregated inside Mitri’s eyes in a vivid swarm of blue. Fuck. Just focus on the song, Ash.

Her voice cracked with the higher choral notes, but she carried on regardless - gaze kept locked beneath tight lids for the time being.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2019, 03:55:32 AM »
((OOC: I am so sorry about the delay in replying to this. Work kidnapped me this last week lol, but I finally free now.))

Mitri didn't need to read the prompter either. For he knew the words to the song like the back of his hand. Still as he briefly caught Aislin's eyes with his own, he couldn't help but think of how sweetly tender the lyrics were and their current proximity. As akward as it could have been, it made him hope for a closeness with Ash that he knew he shouldn't quite yet. And yet, he still found himself itching to gently touch her face as she closed her eyes.

As her voice cracked on the higher notes, his own voice supported hers as they hit the chorus.

"Hold me closer, tiny dancer. Count the headlights on the highway. Lay me down in sheets of linen..." he sang softly, leaning a little closer as he waited for Aislin to reopen her eyes. For as drawn as he was to her, he wanted whatever that happened between them to be on her terms if anything.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2019, 07:53:37 AM »
((No worries! Never any rush with me, so take your time. (: ))

Ash eventually did open her eyes; realizing that keeping them closed for the entirety of the song might be even more awkward than the two of them staring at one another. She was wrong. Had he gotten closer, or was that in her head?

... It must have been the latter! She was clearly imagining things! There was no way that a man as absurdly beautiful as this one could have any sort of romantic interest in her. Sure, he’d called her 'pretty' a couple of times - but she’d chalked it up to him being the flattering type. He probably said nice, complimentary things to all of the girls. Boys, too, for all she knew. Maybe he was only getting into the song; maybe this was a performance. She wasn’t special. Right?

Ugh. Why did her brain always do this? She was getting herself all worked up and flustered over nothing. Just keep singing.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2019, 01:49:27 PM »
Ash was right. Mitri did have a tendency to be a flatterer to both sexes but on the other end he knew when someone really drew him in. Ashlin had the right amount of quirkiness and sexiness without trying that drew him in like a moth to a flame. It didn't matter that she was human. He still wanted the chance to get to know her better and maybe have proper relationship for once. Yes it was a silly hope but why not? Mitri was in a new city. So who knew what could happen?

When her eyes reopened, he had to flush a little at turn of his thoughts and their proximity. Still for as akward as things were, he offered her a small soft smile and extended a hand to her as the song shifted on last time to the chorus.

"Hold me closer, tiny dancer.."

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2019, 10:01:54 AM »
Likewise, Aislin flushed an embarrassing crimson. She could feel the heat of it in her cheeks, and mentally cursed her traitorous complexion; it never fucking failed to betray her. At least the room was dark, she self-soothed, lifting her hand to place it tentatively within Mitri’s. She felt weird about it - the intimacy of it - but would have felt even weirder having rejected the offer.

It was really too bad she couldn’t have had another drink or two; to help take the edge off, to keep her from over-analyzing every small gesture. Then again, alcohol made her impudent. Being tipsy might have only put her in even worse predicaments.

... Oh, god! What if he hadn’t even meant for her to take his hand at all?! What if it had just been regular old singing gesticulation? How awkward for her to have misinterpreted his intent! Ugh! For a moment, Ash became so lost in her emotional tumult that she’d stopped singing; but then, the song was finally over, and she didn’t know what to do with her hand next. Should she reclaim it? ... Or just stand there, with clammy fingers woven clumsily between his?

It was quiet now, and she found it a struggle to even look at him. What the hell was she supposed to say? What was she supposed to do?

Nothing.
Nothing was good.
Nothing worked fine.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2019, 12:11:52 PM »
Mitri didn't know what impulse had him extending his hand to Ash but he wasn't about to regret it. For Ashlin had tentatively placed her hand in his. His cerulean eyes brightened slightly as he gazed back at her, singing the last portion of the song. Damn...it was hard to deny how right it felt. Still he didn't want to scare her off as he felt her hand go clammy. So he tried to gently squeeze her hand before releasing it.

"Thank you for singing with me, Aislin." he said softly, his eyes warm and sincere after the last notes of the song echoed in the air. For as akward as the air had suddenly become between them, he wanted to be real with her. He still dared to hope for a chance. Nothing was set in stone yet,

"Shall we do one more?" he asked softly, eyes hopeful.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2019, 02:13:25 PM »
With her hand now freed, it took every ounce of willpower for Aislin to resist the urge to wipe its clamminess on her pantleg. “Ah, ha ha!” She nervously laughed, ambling back toward the electronic song directory as she proclaimed, “Yes, one more! What would you like to sing next?” Something lighthearted; something totally unromantic.

She continued to avoid eye-contact as she scrolled aimlessly through the available options.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2019, 01:50:33 PM »
A small concerned frown crossed Mitri's features at the sound of her nervous laugh. He hoped that he hadn't overwhelmed her and made things too akward between them. He hadn't wanted to overwhelm her in the slightest."Are you okay?" he asked kindly, watching as she did her best to avoid looking at him. His morpho blue eyes were plainly a little worried. "I can get you some water." he offered.

"I'd love to sing another one with you, but I would like to make certain that you're alright first."

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2019, 12:31:20 PM »
Ash lifted a wide-eyed focus to Mitri. Shit. She’d been too obvious. Her nerves had gotten the better of her, and she didn’t know how best to soothe them. Should she be straightforward, or deflect? Something told her that the latter option would only lead to more awkwardness. Better to just get it out. Besides, she couldn't help but feel a measure of guilt as she took in the concern in his expression.

“I’m okay,” she finally answered, forcing her features into a mask of neutrality; one that was swiftly belied by the bloom of color that reasserted its presence. She drew a calming breath, gathering her courage and her words, then continued in an honest flood of speech. “You just make me nervous.

“Maybe I’ve gotten the wrong impression, but I think it’s important that I tell you now: I want for us to keep things platonic. I really like you, and I think you’re very handsome, but I’ve only just moved here. I haven’t gotten a job, or started my classes. I haven’t got any friends. I haven’t figured my life out in the slightest, and I really need to focus on that - on finding my footing - before I start relying on another person in that way. I know myself, and I know that’s how I’d be. That wouldn’t be fair to you, either.” Not like he wanted a relationship, Ash - if anything just a casual fling!

With an exhalation of laughter, Ash brought a hand up to her face; cupping both temple and cheek in embarrassment. Face-palm. She felt better, though, and her smile - bright and relieved - likely said as much. “Sorry for unloading on you, and sorry for being ... presumptuous, or whatever. I know we it’s only been a few hours since we met.”

... Just how badly had she misread things?

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2019, 01:53:58 PM »
Mitri's eyebrows lifted with surprise at her sudden flood of words. He hadn't expected to make her this nervous, but then again he had been just wishing for things he shouldn't have been so early. His face easily went an embrassing shade of red as he found his words again. "Damn...I'm sorry that I made you nervous. I'll admit that you definitely do tempt me and make me hope, Ash. I didn't mean to take it that far and make things weird between us. All I want is to get to know you better. If you want to keep it as friends, I understand and I respect it." he admitted sincerely, running a hand back through the back of his hair akwardly. Her response was really no surprise because they had only known each other for a few hours.

He bit his lower lip for a second and then offered her a bright smile. "But if you ever change your mind, trust me I'll be the first one to come to call on you." he added, "I hope that I haven't ruined the rest of our night."