Author Topic: A Fresh Start  (Read 32768 times)

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Re: A Fresh Start
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2019, 07:15:49 AM »
Ash had (more than) half-expected Mitri to deny any sense of attraction - so when he blatantly admitted to it, she was dumbfounded. No freaking way. She hadn’t imagined it, then? She gaped at him for a moment as she fully processed, palm still pressed against her cheek, then allowed her smile to bloom anew.

“The night’s not ruined,” she began, dropping her hand from her face. “I mean... it’s not like you were overly forward or anything. You’ve been sweet. If I’m being honest, the only reason I’ve been so nervous is because I do find you attractive. If I were to let things go beyond passing compliments and spontaneous hand-holding, I think I’d have a hard time saying ‘no’.”

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2019, 05:55:11 AM »
Mitri had to blush lightly at Ashlin's shocked expression. Still her smile in the aftermath lifted his spirits and made him think that he might not have scared her off. In fact at her next words, his too blue eyes widened with surprise. He had hoped that he wasn't imagining the chemistry between them. And now to know that it was on both sides made him offer her a warm smile.

"Good I'm glad that I haven't ruined tonight with my shenanigans." he said softly. "I find that I can get carried away when it comes to someone I like. Still I respect your decision, Ash. I will be nothing but a gentleman and your friend until you choose differently." he added. "Now shall we continue with our karaoke, my lady?" he asked, playfully bowing to her.
"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." -Siddhartha Buddha

Arutha, Declan, Kevla, Kieran, Mitrius

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2019, 12:29:18 PM »
Likewise, Aislin flushed anew in the wake of Mitri’s reiteration, and his charmingly corny use of old-fashioned titles. In spite of his understanding, Ash couldn’t help but still worry that he might expect her to come around to him someday; she wasn’t sure if she would, and there was pressure in that, too. Hopefully, he wouldn’t do anything silly like wait for her.

... Of course, he wouldn’t! They'd only just met!

She did her best to laugh off her embarrassment, and any remaining unease, before reclaiming her microphone; lifting it to speak into. “We shall,” she answered through the sound system. “What will we sing, now?”

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2019, 06:37:55 AM »
Mitri had to smile as she flushed again. Honestly she was quite adorable. He could only hope that maybe one day things would be different, but he couldn't expect it. Doing so would not be living. He had learned that lesson long ago. Still this didn't mean that he couldn't enjoy the little time he left with Aislin. He then offered her a playful grin at her question as an appropriately silly song popped in his head.

"How about 'Dead man's party' by Oingo Boingo?" he suggested just before he pressed the button to start the song. It was just enough of fun to sing and it wasn't romantic. They could still change it to something else if she wanted them to, but it would lighten the atmosphere.
"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." -Siddhartha Buddha

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2019, 12:23:47 PM »
With a winning smile, Ash leaned toward the tablet to find and select the song. She stood for this one, belting out the lyrics she knew, and dancing through the parts she didn’t. As they continued to shimmy and sing together, alternating song choices, all of what remained of Aislin’s awkward tension and uncertainty dissipated; and when the light above the door flashed red to signal the end of their session, she felt more disappointment than relief (though there was still some of the latter, too).

“Times up,” she needlessly announced, moving to return her microphone to the cubby from whence it was first retrieved and extending a hand for Mitri’s thereafter.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2019, 11:41:03 AM »
Mitri smiled back at her as she selected their next song. It was one of his favorites. So to make up for some of the earlier awkwardness, he put in an extra flair to the rest of his singing and dancing. For he wanted Aislin to feel as comfortable as possible again and to just have fun together with her. It didn't matter what happened next. All that mattered was this simple silly feeling as they sang and danced their hearts out as the song shifted to their next choice.

He had been so wrapped up in the moment. He almost didn't notice when the door flashed red. When Mitri did, he too felt disappointment. Just a second ago, it had felt like they had just been getting started and now it was over. "I guess time really goes by fast, huh?" he said as he handed over his mike.

"Thank you for singing with me, Ash." he said warmly.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2019, 12:13:12 PM »
“Unless you want it to,” she agreed around a laugh. Time always flew past the moments she wanted to linger in; slowing to excruciating levels when it came to things she wished would just end. “Thank you for singing with me.”

After returning everything back to how it was, Ash stepped through the door and cast a look down the hall. “I’m going to find the restroom...” She began, turning her focus back toward Mitri. “Why don’t you look up a nearby hotel?”

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2019, 11:20:32 AM »
Mitri had to snort at that as he grinned back at her. She had a good point. For they all had had both kinds of moments. His smile then grew at the emphasis on a couple of her next words. It was more than nice to hear that she felt the same about their short time together. It was rare enough to find someone who enjoyed karaoke as much as he did these days. As she stepped out, he followed after her into the hall.

At her suggestion, he nodded as he inwardly frowned. The problem was that he had no more money. So the hotel idea was not going to work, but it would be harder to admit that fact to her."That sounds like a plan." he agreed softly as he pulled out a burner phone he had. It was granted that he didn't turn it on,

"I'll see you in a little bit."

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2019, 11:12:33 AM »
Smiling still, Aislin abled down the hall in search of the restroom. She spent no more time therein than needed; washing her hands after finishing her business and returning shortly to where Mitri stood.

“Find one?” She asked, delving a hand into her pocket to retrieve her keys - still wrapped up in a paper towel snagged from the restaurant bathroom. Her focus lowered as she spent a quiet moment unfurling them from their wrapping, and seeking out a nearby trashcan to dispose of it in.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2019, 05:29:09 AM »
Mitri had to pause at her question as she returned, nervously biting down on the edge of his lower lip. Honestly part of him wanted to come clean about his own money situation. Yes he knew it would be very embrassing to admit, but then he wouldn't be lying to her anymore, species differences aside. The problem was that could his pride allow it.

"Err...not one that is in my budget." he said a little akwardly, his face reddening slightly as he decided to tell her at least part of the truth. "Do you know of any hostels or shelters nearby?" he asked softly, "I could try one of them instead until I get more money or a more stable spot to stay."

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2019, 06:21:13 PM »
“Oh, um...” Ash began, gaze rising to settle upon Mitri. The corners of her lips twisted downward to mimic her now-frowning brow. “I’ve only just moved here, myself, so I don’t really know...” She trailed off mid-statement, but the thought was conveyed all the same. She didn’t know.

Palming her keys, she pulled out her phone and opened up the search browser. “I can look one up,” she offered, even as she had already begun the task. If only she had the funds to offer, or some other way of helping. As nice as Mitri seemed (and as good-looking as he was), no way was she about to invite a relative stranger to come crash at her place. She’d heard and read far too many horror stories to make such a rookie mistake. After all, hadn’t Ted Bundy been handsome and charming as all hell?

No. A ride and a web search were all she could offer; even the former, she belatedly realized, was enough to put her at risk if Mitri turned out to be some sort of psychopath. She didn’t believe he was, but she’d been subject to too many parental lectures about her overly-trusting nature, and knew it was wiser to err on the side of caution.

Besides, her place was too tiny to afford either of them any privacy - and her damned couch was a pitiful little two-seater! What would they have done, shared her bed? Hell no. She wouldn't have gotten a wink of sleep!

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2019, 03:20:33 AM »
Mitri had to flush embrassedly as the conversation turned. Damn, he hadn't meant to come across like this and make his money troubles hers. He appreciated the offer of help but what sucked was that he had been wanting to impress her a little. For he was really enjoying Ashlin's company. She was just the right sort of wonderfully quirky that he enjoyed being friends with as well as more.

"That would be awesome. Thank you, Ash" he said as he akwardly ran the fingers of one hand through his hair."Listen I'm sorry about this, Ash. I had meant to be a little more suave but my money situation at the moment isn't the greatest. Still I wouldn't change our night for anything. I have really enjoyed singing and just hanging out with you." he said honestly, hoping that he wasn't creeping her out too much. It was after all they were still almost entirely strangers.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2020, 07:57:35 AM »
Aislin maintained her frowning expression as she scrolled through a list of the city’s hostels. Her focus lifted, settling upon Mitri as his apology came. She smoothed her features in time with the forming of a small smile, then said, “It’s alright. I mean, I don’t expect you to share your financial troubles with just anyone – but, you know, you could have, like, vaguely let on that money was tight. We could have found something else to do together. Something free. Or, at the very least, you could have let me share the cost of the room.” Her eyes widened as she paused, then carried on a with an animated, “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to lecture you! I just,” she gestured vaguely, “feel bad.

After thrusting her phone into his hands with a muttered, “Here,” she maneuvered around to stand at his side, to swipe at the on-screen options with the pad of her index finger. “I’ve arranged them by price, low to high. Looks like the cheapest is fifteen a night, but it’s a little bit out of the city. Downtown your cheapest options are going to be in the thirty to forty dollar range, even at a hostel. I’m willing to drive a-ways if that’s what you want. It’s the least I can do.”

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2020, 08:30:52 AM »
Mitri's face reddened again at her frown. He hadn't wanted to make his problems hers, but there was no denying the facts of his situation. "True, you are right. And yet I can't entirely regret it. You were and are worth it no matter the consequence." he said honestly. "A night or so on the street or in a crappy hostel won't hurt me. I've been in both worse and much better situations." he added, smiling a little and nodding as she went to half lecture him. "It's okay. I deserve it. I've made my bed and now I'll have to lay in it, Ash." he said. His expression was open and sort of self deprecating.

Still he accepted Ashlin's phone when she put it into his hands and peered at the webpage she had brought up. "Well if you are up for it, the cheapest one would be okay with me." he said softly before trying to hand her phone back to her after about a moment or two.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2020, 01:50:11 PM »
“Okay, sure,” she said, reclaiming her phone and taking a moment to pull up the cheapest hostel’s GPS location; she’d begin the route once they’d made it back to her car. After flashing a smile toward Mitri, she swiveled on her heels to face and advance upon the karaoke joint’s entrance. She lifted a parting wave to the clerk as the ascended the stairs and exited to the street above.