Author Topic: A Fresh Start  (Read 32784 times)

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Re: A Fresh Start
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 03:25:49 PM »
“Hold that thought!” Ash replied, lifting a halting finger, then jingling her filthy keys in indication. “I’m going to find the restroom so I can give these, and my hands, a thorough wash. Why don’t you find us a table near the window? I’ll answer your question as soon as I’m back,” she promised, providing a smile of her own.

After soliciting the help of a friendly employee, Aislin found her way to the washroom. With several pumps of liquid soap, she lathered up her keys and ran them under the hottest water she could stand - wondering if keys were dishwasher-safe. Once considered clean enough, she wrapped them up in a paper towel, pocketed them, then scrubbed her hands with similar vigor. An additional moment was spared in rearranging her hair in front of the mirror, before she stepped back out to locate Mitri anew.

With another smile, she sat herself in the chair facing him. “Better,” she deemed, as she brought herself closer to the table - careful and conscious of potentially screeching legs. Taking up her menu, and leafing through its laminated pages, she mused, “Alright, so - about me…” God, it already sounded like she was reciting the words from her personal dating profile - and she hadn’t even divulged anything yet. She laughed at the thought, and continued anyway. “I came mostly because I wanted to experience more of the world. You only get so much out of a small town. As much as I hate to say it - and, of course, there are always going to be exceptions - but with small towns often come small minds. The people back home are nice, but they’re far from enlightened.” She laughed again; an easy breath of laughter. “I also came for the art institute. I’m an aspiring artist, you see.”

Her attention rose from the menu in favor of looking, instead, at him. “What about you?” She asked, smiling still.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 07:09:22 AM »
Mitri found himself chuckling at that and nodded. Of course she needed to clean them before they ate. The same went for him. After all it was his gadget that had snatched it from the deep. Still a tiny cleansing spell would take care of that when others weren't looking."Will do." he agreed softly before heading off to find the right seat.

When she had reappeared, he had found what looked like the perfect spot by the window, an comfortable looking table towards the back of the restaurant. It was a place where one could see all of the rest of the restaurant as well as still see outside.

He offered Ash another smile as she sat down. Gentle amusement warmed his blue eyes when she started to speak to tell him about herself. Her slightly akward tone of voice and laughter were quite cute. Dating application information or not, it was still adorable.

"Ah, I get it. It's sort of like feeling like you are a big fish in a little pond. You want see more and do more beyond what everyone else is comfortable with. Now that you're the ocean as it were, it must feel quite different." he said with another smile as he picked up his menu in his gloved hands. His eyebrows lifted interestedly at her chosen career. For it seemed to fit Aislin's personality to a t. "That is awesome. What is your speciality?" he had to ask, their eyes locking briefly as she peered over her own menu.

"As for me, I came here for a new start." he said honestly. Mitri didn't want to lie to Ash completely, but he had to tell her something that she would believe as for his story, "My previous job went under. So I decided to try my hand elsewhere."
"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." -Siddhartha Buddha

Arutha, Declan, Kevla, Kieran, Mitrius

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 02:26:11 PM »
Ash found herself, quite uncharacteristically, avoiding eye-contact after their brief locking of gazes. She was suddenly hyperaware of how date-like this scenario was, and how handsome the stranger was across from her - even in his plain, threadbare hoodie. During her stint as a waitress, she remembered entertaining herself with made-up scenarios involving the patrons; collecting little tidbits of their conversations and drawing her own amusing conclusions. She’d bet any of the staff listening in now would have guessed they were on a first-time date. Not that it should have mattered what they believed. It’s only recompense, she reminded herself as she looked over the menu anew. Chill out.

“It is different,” she agreed, making an effort to mirror his easygoing presence. “I thought I was already good at swimming, but the water here isn’t as still as it was back home. I’m definitely not a big fish anymore,” she added around a soft laugh, lifting her focus momentarily before dropping it anew. “It’s a little bit nerdy,” she went on to admit, when asked about her artistic specialty. “My ex-boyfriend got me really into graphic novels, so I want to draw up my own. Most of my artwork is in a digital format for that reason, but occasionally I use more traditional mediums.” Oblivious to his half-truths, she asked, “What did you do for work in New York?”

Finally, she dropped the shield that was her menu and closed it. She’d known what she was going to order, and could only feign indecision for so long. As soon as she’d seen peach cobbler listed, she knew it was what she wanted; served warm with a scoop of ice cream. Yum. She was surprised to find they also had a decent selection of inexpensive wines, and thought a glass of cremant would pair well with the dessert. “Order whatever you’d like,” she stressed, when a server finally came to greet them with two glasses of water. He’d introduced himself as Ethan, and Ash had smiled at him - indicating with a sweep of her hand that Mitri would order first.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2019, 01:35:23 PM »
The date-likeness of this scenario was not lost on Mitri. In fact under other circumstances, he could quite easily picture somehow sweeping her on her feet for a fancier date complete with champagne. For Aislin was a beautiful woman and adorably quirky. It was a combination that he loved and also found quite attractive. Though before he let himself wander too far down that path, he had to remind himself that Ash was anything paying him back for his help earlier. So he shouldn't get his hopes up. Still this didn't mean that he he couldn't enjoy himself. As she peered at her menu, he did likewise. Mm..maybe he would go for the chicken dinner special? He mused to himself as he shut the menu and put it down on the table.

"I'll grant that it is deeper, but you seem like the type that knows how to adapt. So don't knock yourself too much, Ash." he told her a bit encouragingly. His smile then grew when he heard her specialty. "That is fine with me. Nerdy is cool, not to mention more than a little bit fun. I have to admit I am a sucker for any kind of comics myself. I also have dabbled in loving Star Trek as well as many other things." he told her with a small playful grin. "I'd love to see some of your work sometime." he added.

His head tilted slightly at her next question. "I was a start up company's tech guy. Anytime anything went wrong they would call me. I was good at what I did, but when it went under I had to search for something else." he said with a small shrug.

This was closest to the truth that he dare tell her at least right now. For he had been the mobster's right hand tech/Jack of all trades until he got involved with Jeremiah, the mobster's son. Then everything went pear-shaped when the Don found out. Before he thought back on those regrets and how much trouble he was in with them, he made himself focus back on Aislin and his present. After all it wouldn't do to think on things that couldn't be changed.

When Aislin spoke again telling him to order, his heart lifted at the prospect of a warm meal and good companionship. "Thank you, Ash." he said sincerely. So he looked back at Ethan, their server, and politely ordered. What he choose was the fried chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and a pale ale to go along with it.
"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." -Siddhartha Buddha

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 02:42:28 PM »
It hadn’t even dawned on Ash that she’d have to eventually show people her artwork in order to get it published. Shit. That was an insecurity she’d have to overcome. She supposed she could start here. Well, not here, here - but assuming they ever saw each other again, she could show Mitri. It might be nice to have the opinion of someone who was unbiased. The folks back home could have very well just told her what they thought she wanted to hear. How had she never considered that? Ugh. The thought didn’t sit well.

When it was her turn to order, Aislin was unsurprised that Ethan had requested to check her ID. She pulled it from her pocket, and smiled as she passed it over. His perusal of the card was slow and speculative, but he accepted it all the same. “Thank you, Ethan,” she acknowledged, pocketing the card once more before collecting their menus to offer in exchange.

An apologetic smile was cast toward Mitri as the server parted from their table. “I’ve already had dinner,” Ash explained, “but I didn’t want you to feel like you couldn’t still order as much as you wanted. I’ll take my time with what I've gotten so you won’t feel alone.”

It wasn’t long before Ethan returned with their drinks and set each down in turn; Mitri’s pale ale in a chilled pint glass, and Aislin’s bubbles in a decorative flute. Nothing extravagant, but still fancier than what she’d expected. Again, she thanked him - then returned her focus to the gentleman across from her. “Tech stuff, huh? I guess that can be classified as kind of nerdy, too,” she commented around a laugh, fingertips moving to brush the stem of her glass without yet taking hold of it. “Is it easy to find work in that field, or is it, like… oversaturated?”

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 11:16:31 AM »
Mitri's eyebrows lifted with gentle amusement as Ethan requested to see Aislin's ID and he hadn't his own. Though it was no big surprise. For his companion's features were on the sweetly youthful side. It made her seem like she was 18 at the oldest but if he were to hazard a guess he'd place her mannerisms at early twenties.

"No worries. I appreciate the company as well as the sentiment, Ash." he said with a sincere smile. For it had been a long time since he had the chance to relax and just enjoy a meal with someone. And he had to luck to share it with a very cute girl. "Food maybe good but having great company at the same time is even better." he added.

Mitri then grinned at her next statement before thanking the server Ethan as he set both of their drinks before them on the table. "Yup, but at least I'm not all pocket protectors and thick-rimmed glasses." he said smoothly picking up the glass to take a sip of the ale. The flavor was cool and crisp on his tastebuds, bringing a happy smile to his lips. It would be the perfect compliment to the chicken he had ordered. "One would think that it would easy given this day and age, but it is more than a little saturated. Hence my fresh start. I'll see what I can find here and if worst comes to worse I'll choose a different career. Who knows I might up alongside you as a wonderful artist." he said, lightly teasing at that last part.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2019, 11:57:41 AM »
Aislin spanned a rather pleased smile. She found that she liked the frequency at which Mitri spoke her name. It made her feel good; acknowledged. “I’m glad, Mitri,” she replied, mirroring back the sentiment. “I’m enjoying your company, too. It’s nice to sit down and have a real conversation; I haven’t had many of those lately.”

His mention of pocket protectors earned a rather undignified snort of laughter, and she attempted to smother it by way of likewise sipping from her drink. “Thick-rimmed glasses aren’t nerdy anymore,” she pointed out thereafter. “They’re fashionable.” Her grin spread a touch wider in the wake of his last statement. “Will you be my rival, or my partner? … In art,” she belatedly felt the need to clarify.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 03:19:20 AM »
Mitri had to beam back at Aislin as his sentiment was returned. "I hear you there. Too many times in this day in age we get so busy with our lives and jobs that we forget to savor the small things. So thank you for this dinner and reminding me how good it is to enjoy such things." he said with smile before he smoothly brought up his glass to his lips for another sip.

The smile turned to that of a mischevious grin at the sound of her unexpected snort. "That is fashionable with quotation marks around it." he said playfully, lifting his right hand up to make said motion with his index finger and middle. "Every few years what is on that list changes, no matter if it actually does look good or not. Still I like to go for what I think looks good on me no matter what they say." he added with a small shrug.

His grin widened further at her last question. "I think that I would be your partner, Ash. For we have already proven that we work wonderfully together." he answered with a small wink.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 12:50:37 PM »
A flush of pink spread across Aislin’s cheeks; an involuntary response to Mitri’s charismatic wink. She mentally floundered, weighing how best to respond, but was spared from having to do so when their server reappeared with their order. Ah, sweet rescue. Ethan had no idea what he’d done for Ash just then, but she resolved to tip him extra for it, anyway.

As each dish was placed upon the table in turn, Ash gently cleared her throat. “Thank you,” she offered, declining when asked if she was in need of anything else. Ethan politely awaited Mitri’s response to the same query, before turning to leave them.

The promise of sweets served as a boost to Aislin’s energy, and she pressed her palms together as though in supplication. “Yum!” She enthused, hands parting in favor of retrieving her cell; yes, she was one of those girls. After snapping a few photos of the confection - having rearranged her cutlery and glass within the frame for optimal composition - she pocketed her phone anew, and lifted her gaze to Mitri. “Don’t judge me,” she blithely warned.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 01:02:27 PM »
Mitri had to smile at the adorable blush that spread over Aislin's face at his wink. Honestly she was so cute. Still he didn't want to overwhelm her. So he decided not to push her too much further. For they had only just met and he didn't want to creep her out. He wanted to come across as pleasant and maybe get the chance to know her better in the process.

He gently shook his head at Ethan's inquiry. "No, thank you." he said politely before focusing back on Aislin as the man left.

Mitri's lips then had to twitch in happy amusement when he saw her pulling out her cell to take a pic of her food.
"Wouldn't dream of it." he said a bit teasingly as he pulled out a small plastic tube like container from his bag. He twisted it and it popped open. What laid inside was a sturdy looking plastic fork and knife. "For it would be like me being the pot calling you black." he explained, "I know that this looks a bit odd but I'm allergic to most metals."

It was the easiest way to explain why he was doing this that wouldn't look too weird. Or so he hoped.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 02:50:16 PM »
Aislin paused in the act of reaching for her own silverware as she curiously observed. Plastic cutlery? “Whoa!” She gushed, more out of fascination than ridicule. “I’ve got friends who can’t wear cheap jewelry for the same reason, but I didn’t know you could be that allergic to metal… What happens if you use metal flatware? Do you break out in hives, or worse? Do you have to worry about, like… cross-contamination? What if your food is prepared in stainless steel? Are you allergic to steel?”

Once her shameless spouting of questions was over, Ash shook her head - exhaling an awed, “Wild.” Finally, she took up her spoon, and used it to curate the perfect bite. An all-encompassing bite, rife with samplings of every ingredient; warm peaches, spiced crumble, and already-melting vanilla ice cream. As all of these elements both cooled and heated her palate simultaneously, she was unable to stifle the resulting sound of bliss. Really good.

She pushed the plate an inch toward Mitri before going in for a second helping. “You should try this,” she offered enthusiastically. “Before the ice cream is totally liquefied. Honestly, I said I’d go slow - but I’m not sure how long this is going to last.”

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2019, 01:17:33 PM »
Mitri's face lightly reddened at Aislin's exclaination. Honestly he should have expected something like this, but at least he wasn't getting made fun of nor was he freaking her out. All were true to what he had observed of her personality so far. Still his lips twitched with amusement at all the sudden questions. "It depends on the kind of metal but I can react worse than just hives. Sometimes it seems like I have been burnt by it. If I were to use metal flatware, it wouldn't be pretty. It would unfortunately be a one way ticket to the hospital. I do carry an epi-pen if I need it." he said honestly.

The epi-pen in question was filled with a special healing potion that would counteract most of metal exposure's effects. Though not all, it would still be an iffy that he would survive a large enough exposure. "Iron and steel tends to be worst for me, but I have built up a small tolerance to it. So cross contamination via something being cooked in it, I am now okay with it. It didn't used to be like that." he said softly with a small shrug as he scooped up one spoonful of the mashed potatoes taking taking one creamy bite. This small tolerance was something that was hard won by years of partially poisoning himself. The potatoes were fluffy and just the right amount of melt in your mouth. The taste brought a happy smile to his lips. For it reminded him of home.

His thoughts shifted and his eyebrows lifted to his hair line at the sound of Aislin's bliss filled almost moan. Damn...it must have been really good cobbler to get that sort of reaction. She looked particularly amazing in that instant and it made him wonder about things that he knew he shouldn't yet.

"Thank you, Ash. I will." Mitri said with a warm smile. He then extended his spoon to scoop a portion of the cobbler and the ice cream together. From the second the mixture touched his tongue, his brain actually whited out just for a second and he made an pleased "Mmm..." sound. "Oh...my god. It's incredible." he had to remark as soon as he had time to think. "Would you like to try some of mine? I haven't tried to chicken yet, but damn...this place knows how to cook." he said pushing his plate part way towards hers.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2019, 04:11:24 PM »
Having recovered from that initial bite, Ash was rapt with Mitri’s answers. She had paused to absorb every word, expression one of unmasked curiosity. Her wheels turned, a thousand more questions forming. (Okay, a thousand is an exaggeration - but there were a lot!) Still, there was one in particular she couldn’t dismiss; though, in her defense, she did try.

“So,” she began, innocently enough, “What happens if you make-out with someone with a tongue ring?” She didn’t have one - God, how incriminating would that have been? - but she wanted to know so damn bad. The thought of having to screen prospective love-interests for tongue piercings was equally tragic and amusing. Imagine reading that on a Tinder profile: No tongue or lip jewelry, please! ... No privy ornamentation, either! Yikes.

And what about copper IUDs?! Aislin put the brakes on that thought before she could delve too far into it. Again, a hint of color rose to her cheeks, and she quickly dropped her gaze. To him, it would probably seem like it was her question that coaxed forth the bloom of heat. Great. No, it was much worse; because now she was thinking about sex, and him, and he’d just let out that little groan of pleasure. So much for putting on the brakes; she couldn't even fucking decelerate.

Jesus Christ, she self-chastised, taking up her glass of water to cool down with a few hefty swallows. When she was finished, she set it back down - wordlessly claiming the fork from her place-setting, and reaching across the table to split away a small portion of the chicken on his plate. “Thanks,” she said, unintentionally terse. She stuffed the bite into her mouth to spare herself from having to say anything further.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2019, 09:08:28 AM »
Mitri had to smile at the curiosity he saw in Aislin's sea green eyes. Adorable as it was, he had to be careful. For most humans tended to fear what they do not understand. This was one lesson he could never forget, but then...that question. He felt his face redden slightly but it was something that he had run into before. Ever since the popularity of piercings had arisen, he had to figure out how to get around it with his previous lovers.

"Possible anaphylactic shock." he started to answer before smirking just little. Now this was an interesting vein of questioning. It made him wonder if he was having the same effect on her as she was on him. "But there are ways around that problem. The person with the piercing can swap it out to for a plastic or glass retainer before then." he added as he saw a echoing blush tinge Aislin's face to his first one. The look on her face was all the answer he needed.

He smiled gently as his companion accepted a small portion of his chicken before taking another sip of his ale. Her terse tone didn't bug him for it felt like she was just as in over her head as he was. It had been sometime since he felt this drawn to someone. "It's okay." he said softly. "How is the chicken?"

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2019, 01:57:48 PM »
Anaphylactic shock! Holy crap! Aislin’s eyes went saucer-wide as she imagined the trauma an experience like that would induce. If something like that ever happened to her, she’d probably abstain for the rest of her life. Thinking about it was all the cold water she needed.

With his soft words of pardoning, gentle and consoling, Ash allowed her gaze to rise anew. How is the…? Oh! The chicken! Remembering to finally chew, she nodded her approval - offering a thumbs-up before covering her mouth with her hand to provide a spoken endorsement. “It’s good.”

She sipped from her glass of cremant to cleanse her palate, pulling her plate back toward herself. “Then what about metal teeth-fillings?” Came her next query, carried on like she hadn’t just suffered a mental pratfall. She smiled, brows lofting inquisitively as she reclaimed her spoon, and took another bite from her dessert.