Author Topic: A Fresh Start  (Read 32661 times)

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Re: A Fresh Start
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2019, 11:13:27 AM »
To Mitri this was a normal risk when it came to interacting with humans. So it was just something he dealt with. Still there were times where it was so worth it. He didn't regret it. He had enough of those. So he choose to live his life to the fullest instead. Mitri reacted with a small shrug at Aislin's shocked look.

He had to snort gently in amusement as his companion suddenly remembered that she was supposed to be chewing. Though he couldn't blame her for her delayed reaction, Mitri had dropped quite the bomb on her. He then offered her a small smile before he went to cut himself off a bite of the chicken and brought it to his lips to eat. Mmm...the chicken was delicious, the perfect measure of juicy and just the right amount of crispy. A similar sound to the first noise of bliss escaped his throat in that instant.

Mitri's eyebrows lifted again at her next question as he took another sip of his ale. "If I make out with someone with them, my tongue and lips will swell up just a little, but I am usually okay. For the metal in fillings, it is usually of a higher quality than the type that is used in piercing jewelry." he stated. "What about you? Do you have any entertaining allergies?"
"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." -Siddhartha Buddha

Arutha, Declan, Kevla, Kieran, Mitrius

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2019, 02:32:22 PM »
Ash found herself watching Mitri as he ate. The unhurried movement of his mouth. The workings of his jaw. The way his throat undulated when he swallowed. Then, of course, the sound that followed; issued forth in a teasing little rumble, like honey poured over gravel. She had to fight the urge to drop her hand into a palm, and merely spectate; surmising that she could feel replete in that act, alone. There was a part of her that had begun to wonder if he was being deliberate in the way he dined.

The illusion was quashed at the mention of swelling, which was just as well; she shouldn’t have been daydreaming in the first place. Wrinkling her nose, and offering the synchronous smile, she answered, “Not unless you count pollen.”

She took another bite from her cobbler, drifting her gaze thoughtfully toward the window. She watched a few passersby, seeking conversation inspiration from the outside world. When her focus landed upon a neon-flashing ‘KARAOKE’ sign, she asked, “Do you like karaoke?”

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2019, 12:07:38 PM »
Aislin was right on the money about Mitri's reaction to his food being deliberate, but it wasn't for any nefarious reason. He just loved good food and couldn't help but react. It was one thing among the thousands of others that he enjoyed about mankind. For they were always coming up with more and more ways of making delicious foods.

He shrugged and offered her a smile as his companion wrinkled her nose. "Lucky." he said simply before taking another bite of his mashed potatoes. His cerulean eyes followed her gaze and his smile turned into a grin at the subject change.

"Yes as a matter of fact I do. It maybe a bit cheesy at times but it is a hell of a lot of fun." Mitri answered with a happy look. "How about you? Do you have any entertaining songs that you like to sing for karaoke?"
"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." -Siddhartha Buddha

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2019, 11:22:17 PM »
Likewise, Aislin brightened - returning her focus to the man across from her with an enthusiastic grin.

“I don’t know about entertainment-factor, but I usually go for Hall & Oates; really any Hall & Oates. My dad loves them, so I know pretty much every song like the back of my hand.” With a laugh, she continued on, explaining, “That, and our karaoke set-up back home wasn’t ideal. It was just a little booth they’d assemble at the pub once a week. I don’t think they’ve updated any of the tracks since the late 80s; there’s nothing even remotely obscure.”

Giving into her previous urge, Ash propped her chin up in her left palm; its affiliated elbow braced upon the edge of the table. “What’s your go-to?” She asked, a ghost of a smile remaining as she punctuated the query with a sip from her glass.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2019, 06:41:42 AM »
Mitri's grin easily grew at Aislin's response. "I love 80s songs for karaoke. They are just so cheesy and fun." he began to say, taking another sip of his ale. "Though I will admit that I only know the words to one Hall & Oates song. It's 'Private Eyes' but I digress." he said. "My go to songs tend to be the rockier ones from the era. Like anything by Duran Duran, Inxs and Def Leppard. I could probably list a lot more bands but you get the idea." he said with a happy smile before digging into his chicken once more.

Then an idea popped inside of his head as for a possible plan for after the meal, but only if Aislin was okay with it. For he to be honest was reluctant to let the night end just yet. "What would you say to singing some karaoke after this?" he asked softly.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2019, 03:23:55 PM »
“Oh!” Ash enthused, lifting up from her prop and brightening anew. “’Private Eyes’ is so very fun to sing; people get really into it, clapping and singing along to the chorus. I love that.” Her smile softened a degree, twisting higher up on one side as she added, “I bet you know the lyrics to more Hall & Oates songs than you realize. They’ve an absurd number of hits.”

She dropped her gaze to her dessert, then; woefully concluding that she really was too full to finish it. Collecting as much liquefied ice cream onto her spoon as she could manage, she scooped up one final bite. It was almost to her mouth when his soft query came, and she paused with an expression of mild surprise.

“I’ve never done sober karaoke before,” she began, in a slow and thoughtful prolonging of words - spoon hovering before her lips. “I’ve always had a cute buzz, at the very least… but I suppose I’d be willing to give it a go. I am trying to push out of my comfort zone.” With a smile, she took her last bite; pushing what remained on her plate to the center of the table in silent offer.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2019, 04:51:04 AM »
"I definitely agree there. It is a very catchy tune and gets stuck in your head for hours on end." Mitri said with a small shrug and a smile. His blue eyes sparkled with amusement at the adorable smile that had spread itself over Aislin's face then. What he had particularly liked was how one side of it twisted up higher as it softened just a little. It was unique just like it's own Aislin herself. This thought drifted across his mind and he couldn't help but think on his much better his night had gotten since they had since they had crossed paths.

"You know you probably right about that, Ash. I probably would recognize the others the second I hear them." he added before taking another small bite of his mashed potatoes. He had already made good strides in his meal. And all that now remained was a couple more bites of chicken and one of his biscuit.

He proceeded to finish the last few bites as he waited for her response, his eyes patient and sort of hoping at the same time. Then when Aislin finally decided, he beamed at her delightedly. He was glad for the chance to continue this night and to spend more time with her.

"Excellent. Thank you, Ash." he said as he accepted the last of her dessert, "Another time we can try drunk karaoke, but this first time I'd like to just continuing hanging out with you and just have fun." he admitted softly.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2019, 08:21:10 AM »
Ash was momentarily stunned by the brilliance of that smile; beaming brightly at her with unfettered delight. She found it unreasonably charming, and was soon simpering beneath the notion that Mitri liked her well enough that he was that thrilled by the prospect of her continued company. Clearing her throat, she offered, “I mean, you can drink if you want - I just have to drive still. I can take you wherever you need to go afterward, too, if you need?” Her brows rose fractionally with the query, hand moving to reclaim her flute.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2019, 03:47:29 AM »
Seeing her stunned reaction to his a little too bright smile, Mitri reined himself back in. For he didn't want to creep her out. All he wanted was for them to enjoy each other's company for as long as they could. Yes he knew they had just met, but so far she had been delightfully quirky companion. So he couldn't help but want to know more about her and see how things went.

"Thank you for the offer, but it wouldn't be fair to you, Ash. So sober karaoke it is." he said with a small smile as he packed up his plastic cutlery."As for afterwards, I'd love a ride to a cheap hotel or motel. For I don't have a place to stay here yet." he added. Mitri didn't want to impose on Aislin but he wanted to be as honest as he could be with her.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2019, 06:06:33 AM »
“Will you be okay in a hotel?” She asked, giving shape to the question before she could give it any appropriate thought. What are you going to do, Ash? Offer for him to stay with you in your tiny studio? You don’t even know this guy!

Before she could backpedal, Ethan was there; collecting empty plates, verifying the quality of their food, and offering up anything else they might need. With a polite declination, Aislin provided her credit card along with a smile. He took it, tucked it within an apron pocket, and turned away - returning shortly after with a check presenter. After an exchange of pleasantries and gratitude, Ash distracted herself by way of filling out the restaurant copy; tipping more generously than she could rightly afford.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2019, 12:28:25 PM »
Mitri's cerulean eyes widened with surprise at her kind hearted question. He hadn't at all expected that but no matter how appealing the thought was he couldn't accept it. For he had just met Ash and he couldn't impose on her like that. He was too proud of a man for that. He knew that he didn't have enough money for the hotel or motel, but he would survive. It wasn't the first time and it probably wasn't going to be the last. What he had would just cover the karaoke.

"Yes, I will, Ash. It's not the first time I've been on my own." he said honestly as Ethan reappeared to gather their dishes and then give her the check. He offered her a small smile. "Thank you for the delicious dinner and the company. Now are you ready to sing our silly songs?" he asked as he smoothly rose to his feet.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2019, 08:30:14 AM »
Mitri’s response found Aislin relieved in more ways than just one. Quickly, she downed the remaining contents of her drink; rising a fisted hand to her mouth to stifle the tiny burp that resulted thereafter. “Excuse me,” she said, small and mildly timid, before following it up with a smile and an announcement of, “Now I’m ready.”

Likewise, she rose to her feet - hastening toward the door to open it for her companion. “Do you think it’s a bar, or private rooms?” She asked as they stepped into the night air, glancing toward the Karaoke joint in question. She couldn’t decide which she preferred. On one hand, she’d sooner embarrass herself in front of just one person; on the other, the two of them singing together, alone in a private room, had the potential to lead to some… awkwardness.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2019, 10:34:41 AM »
Mitri's lips quirked with gentle amusement at Aislin's tiny burp. For it was quite cute just like the rest of her. As she opened the door for him, he smiled and politely said 'Thank you.' as he went through.

"That is hard to say from here. It could be honestly either one, but that is part of the adventure. We could be embrassing ourselves just in front of each other or in front of a large crowd. Either one sounds like lots of fun." he softly replied with a small wink, eyes following her gaze towards the karaoke joint. "Though judging from the size of that sign, I would put good money on it being the kind of place that only has the rooms." he guessed. Potential awkwardness between them or not, this night was already one of the more pleasant ones he had had in a while.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2019, 09:39:26 AM »
“Yeah, you’re right. I’ll guess we’ll see,” Ash replied in sing-song; like she was warming up. She laughed to herself as she started forward; and when they reached the intersection she came to a stop, pressing the button for the crosswalk.

“So, did you do a lot of Karaoke in New York?” She asked, bidding to keep the conversation flowing. A hand tucked into her pocket, fidgeting with the keys therein; she withdrew soon after, however, when their resulting clinking proved too distracting for her. She should have been looking toward Mitri; it was polite, after all, to maintain eye-contact with those you spoke with. However, her awkwardness had begun to set in - so, instead, she stared at the walk-sign, and waited for it to turn.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2019, 01:12:37 PM »
Mitri smiled amusedly at her playful sing song like reply as he fell into step next to Aislin. Honestly she was quite cute even without trying to be. Now if he could only not to creep her out. This would be great. For he knew that he could get carried away at times when it came to humans, but honestly they were so worth it. For they lived their lives to the fullest compared to the apathy that the longer lived races could experience due to boredom.

So when they paused at the stop sign, he offered her another smile as he answered. "Yes, I did. Call it a silly, but fun pastime of mine. I also have spent time dancing at one too many bars. For there is just something about kicking up one's heels and just being ridiculous while one is having fun." he replied before frowning lightly at how suddenly distracted she was now acting.

"Are you okay, Ash? We don't have to do Karaoke if you don't want to." he asked, his cerulean eyes looking a little concerned.