Author Topic: A Fresh Start  (Read 32818 times)

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Re: A Fresh Start
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2019, 02:31:12 PM »
Ash turned widened eyes toward Mitri, her expression one of mild panic. “Oh! God, no - I’m being weird, aren’t I?” She asked, lifting placating hands and shaking her head. “I just get in my head sometimes, and I think maybe I’ve just gotten so used to doing things on my own since I’ve been here that I don’t know how to interact with people anymore. I still want to do karaoke!” Her words came in a rush, the last few heavily stressed. Genuine. She really didn't want him to think that he'd done something wrong, because he hadn't.

Having caught the changing light in her periphery, she glanced toward it to see that it was already counting down. Crap. A hand darted toward Mitri in a bid to seize his elbow, so that she might sprint across the street with him in tow.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2019, 08:24:27 AM »
Mitri's eyebrows shot up to his hairline in surprise at her panic. At first he had thought something had been wrong before in how he had acted, but now seeing her reaction he thought otherwise. Her distraction before now explained seemed to be another quirk to her personality. "Not alot, but you did seem like you were a little...out of it for a second there." he softly half agreed. "So I got a little concerned and I don't want to push you into doing you don't want." he added almost immediately making a face at the way he had just phrased it. "Damn...I didn't mean to make it sound quite that creepy, Ash."

Though before he could stress on more on his run away mouth, the stop light was changing. His gaze followed hers to the light and next he found himself arm in arm with her as they raced across the street. For Aislin's bid to snag his elbow had succeeded.
"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." -Siddhartha Buddha

Arutha, Declan, Kevla, Kieran, Mitrius

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2019, 11:17:27 AM »
Even after they’d come to a stop at the other side of the intersection, Ash maintained her tight grasp of Mitri’s arm. She paused to laugh breathlessly, doubling over and sucking in a few gasps of air in between. God, she was out of shape. Maybe she should start jogging, or working out, or something. Especially if she wanted to fit in with the absurd number of beautiful people in the city. No matter how many times thoughts like these came to mind, she ultimately knew she’d never find the motivation to actually follow through.

She’d barely had time to register his words before they made a break for it, but she had. With a bright smile, she released her hold of his arm, and straightened anew. Her focus rose to him as she offered a belated, “I don’t feel pressured, and you haven’t said anything creepy. Don’t worry.” She subjected his side to a playful jab of her elbow.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2019, 12:19:52 PM »
Mitri couldn't help but echo her laughter as they came to a stop at the other side, hardly breaking a sweat. Given what he was and his own penchant for trouble, he had had more than a little experience at running. Still it worked out for the best, but it didn't matter at the moment. What mattered was her light continued touch on his arm and the musical sound of her laugh as she panted for breath.

He then brightened at her response as she released his arm. Mitri then had to chuckle as Aislin playfully jabbed him in the side. "Good, I'm glad. I tend to get a little self conscious when I'm around a pretty girl and the last thing I want to do is creep said girl out, Ash." he said with a small smile. "Now shall we go sing our hearts out?" he asked playfully offering Aislin his arm again.
"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." -Siddhartha Buddha

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2019, 02:22:14 PM »
Ash flushed at the compliment - or the fact that Mitri had decided to offer his arm back out after she’d freed it. He wasn’t aware that she had any kind of resolve, but he was still testing it. Still, she placed her hand within the crook of his offered elbow, now tentatively, and nodded her answer.

The remainder of the walk was short; and, when they reached the entrance, she let him open the door for her this time. Though, that was largely due to the fact that it felt inappropriate to race him there, linked arm in arm as they were. Smiling her thanks, she stepped into the establishment, and was immediately met with a descending staircase. Her hand drifted toward the rail as she made her way down, until she reached a counter detailing hourly prices for rooms of varying sizes. Not a bar, then.

A clerk smiled at them from behind the desk, and offered a sunny, “Hello!”

“Hey,” responded Ash, smiling back. “We’ll take your smallest available room for...” She glanced inquisitively toward Mitri, “...An hour?”

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2019, 01:03:05 PM »
Mitri offered Ash a small smile in return at her blush. It then grew slightly as Aislin accepted his arm. To be honest, he didn't want to test her persay. What he wanted was to know her better and let things happen naturally. If they became closer, he wouldn't mind in the slightest even with his history. If they stay just as friends he would be content with that too. Aislin's personality was bright and quite lively. It drew him in and had so far lightened what could have been a quite dark spot in his life. So he was grateful.

When they reached the door to the Karaoke joint, he gallantly opened the door for her and then let her take the lead down the stairs. For it felt right. His lips twitched with amusement when he saw that it wasn't a bar. He had guessed before that it wasn't and now to find out that he was right made him happy.

He then focused once more on Aislin as she greeted the clerk and then nodded at her question. "That sounds good to me." he agreed with a smile. It was tempting to go for longer in order to prolong the night. Though when he saw the rates on the board behind the clerk it was all he could afford.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2019, 11:41:39 AM »
“An hour,” Ash repeated toward the clerk, dipping her chin and smiling anew.

“Great!” They responded, taking a moment to enter some things into their point of sale. Ash tucked a wayward strand of hair behind her ear as she watched and waited. “I’m going to put you in room 2A. There’s a snack bar down the hall with food and drinks. A red flashing light above your door will indicate that you have five remaining minutes. The system is pretty self-explanatory - just type in the name of the song or artist, choose from the selection list, and click add to queue - but if you’d like, I can follow you in to show you?”

“I think we’ll be able to figure it out,” Responded Aislin; even as she looked toward Mitri, again, for confirmation.

“Cool. I’ll go ahead and swipe your card now, then,” The clerk prompted - looking from Ash, to Mitri, then back again. Unaware that Mitri had intended to pay, Ash made to fish out her card.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2019, 10:10:01 AM »
Mitri inclined his head as he watched the clerk plug away their order into their computer. From the way the system was described, it was pretty much like others he had used before. When Aislin looked back at him, he nodded and told the clerk with a small polite smile, "No thank you. I think that we are good."

When Aislin began to pull out her card, he shook his head and pulled out how own from his back pocket. Even though he didn't have alot of money left, he had just enough for this. "No, my treat, Ash." he said softly, "You got dinner. Now it is my turn."

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2019, 01:27:29 PM »
“Oh,” Ash replied dumbly. She momentarily considered arguing, or suggesting they split the fee, but decided against it. He was offering, and she should have been limiting her spending, anyway. At least, until she found a job. “Okay, then,” she conceded with a smile, slipping her card back into her pocket. “Thank you.”

She spent the duration of the transaction debating which song she’d sing first; wondering after the size of their directory, and how up to date its selections would be; and peering down the hallway to locate their room. Sounds of song and laughter emerged from one of the rooms at the far end, as a door opened to allow one of its patrons to stagger their way toward the snack bar.

Aislin grinned, pivoting on her heels to face Mitri anew when his card was returned to him. “Ready?” She prompted, brows rising an inquisitive degree; however, rather than await his response, she capered her way down the hall to room 2A. Pushing down the handle, she stepped inside. “Wow,” she softly gushed, moving away from the door to make space for Mitri.

The room was small, scaled to fit no more than five people, and black-lit. Stars were splattered from floor to ceiling; walls painted with neon planets and spatial vortexes. A table at the center of the room shone like an artificial moon, converging upon the opening of a retro, U-curved bench. There were two screens mounted on opposing sides of the room, and a small tablet served as system and directory.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2019, 01:38:03 PM »
Mitri nodded slightly when his offer almost seemed like it caught her of guard. For a second it made him wonder as to who she normally hung out with. For in his mind people who were friends or not should take turns or at least split fees when going out. It was fair and felt right. Still when she accepted, his happy smile renewed itself just before his card was returned. He then slipped it back in his wallet which went right back in his pocket.

At her excited question, his smile turned into that of a mirroring grin. Though before he could answer, his companion was already rushing to get to their room. So instead of speaking again, he sped up in order to catch up to her with an amused look. It would seem like he wasn't the only one really looking forwards to this. It wasn't like he could blame her though. For there was just something about just letting it all go in a song without fear of recriminations.

So with a bounce in his step, he entered the room after Aislin did and instantly his eyes widened. Holy Cow! He hadn't expected to see something like this. In his mind, he had expected something more plain like some of the ones he had been to before.

"Wow, is right. I didn't think that neon could work quite like this but the overall effect is like a cool space trip." he said brightly, looking over at her as he stepped further in to explore their surroundings. "So now of course I'm feeling adding like a few songs about it to our playlist. What do you think?

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2019, 06:56:59 AM »
“Yes!” Aislin enthused, making her way toward the cushioned bench and plopping herself down. “We’ll have to sing Rocket Man, and Space Oddity!”

She bent down to collect a pair of cordless microphones from within a cubby beneath the table - offering one out to Mitri as she scooted toward the center of the booth. “You first,” she prompted, grinning, with a sweep of her own microphone toward the tablet in indication.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2019, 02:16:56 PM »
Mitri couldn't help but happily grin back as he padded over towards the bench and set down his backpack. "Definitely." he agreed softly.

He then easily accepted the second microphone he went to peer over the song selection. Now to decide...hmm he mused to himself as he scrolled through what was there with his right index finger. Then his eyes lit up as he stumbled across the perfect one to start off their night. It was Adam Ant's 'Goody Two Shoes.' Before this he had been half tempted to go for Frank Sinatra's 'Fly me to the moon, but it was too romantic to start them off with. What seemed to fit the moment was something light hearted and fun. So he choose this instead.

As the familiar opening began to play, he began to sing into the mike,

"With the heartbreak open, so much you can't hide. Put on a little makeup, makeup. Make sure they get your good side, good side."

Mitri's voice was a clear pleasant sounding baritone, but what helped to sell the song was the playful look in his eyes. He also decided to jazz it up and pantomime someone taking a picture of Aislin with his fingers to coincide with the lyric.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2019, 06:23:13 PM »
Ash was still grinning by the time the intro started. When Mitri’s voice resonated through the speakers, that grin only broadened. He was really quite clever, and confident. She found it sexy, that confidence; as well as the playful spark in his too-pretty eyes. Never-even-mind how good he sounded. Really good.

Adam had never been willing to do more than just watch when it came to karaoke. The thought served to sober her a degree, but her revelry was soon renewed amidst Mitri’s shutterbug charade. She promptly burst into a bright spate of laughter, and struck a little pose - fingers curling to form a loose fist beneath her chin as she angled her head to put forth her good side.

She watched with no small measure of captivation; effectively charmed by his performance, and smiling so wide that her cheeks had begun to ache. When his song finally ended, she snapped out of the enchantment. “I’m supposed to follow that?” Came her good-humored inquiry, before she leaned forward to select from the directory. Something she was familiar with, to get her warmed up.

“Test,” she spoke into her microphone as the prelude to Maneater played, and scooted out of the booth to take to ‘stage’. Aislin swayed in appropriate eighties fashion; shimmying her shoulders and snapping the fingers of her free hand in time with the song’s drumline. When it finally came time to sing, she proved only half-decent; capable of carrying a tune, but lacking any actual talent.

She’ll only come out at night; the lean and hungry type. Nothing is new, I’ve seen her here before... Watching and waiting; oh, she’s sitting with you, but her eyes are on the door...” With two fingers, Ash pointed toward her eyes, then gestured toward the door.

She didn’t possess the same measure of confidence that Mitri did; evidenced by the way she kept her gaze fixed upon the lyrics on screen. Of course, she knew all of the words by heart - but found it easier to perform by feigning solitude. By the time she reached the chorus, “Ooh, here she comes; watch out boy, she’ll chew you up. Ooh, here she comes; she’s a maneater,” her nerve had risen, and she cast a few fleeting glances his way.

The musical break was spent in goofy dance. Folly aside, her capacity for dance far exceeded that of her singing. She moon-walked her way across the small space, played the air-sax, and maintained the rhythmic motion of her shoulders; all like no one else was in the room watching. When the song finally tapered off with a succession of belted, “Watch out’s,” she plopped back down to the bench to catch her breath.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2019, 08:10:46 AM »
Mitri tried to hold Aislin's gaze as he sang. Once the song had started, it was easy to adopt the upbeat 80's swagger that was necessary for it. Also what helped was the very delightful grin on her face as he strut his stuff. It made him want to see how else he could make her react. For she was both beautiful on the outside and the right amount of sweetly kooky on the inside that he found irresistible.

He brightened at the sound of Aislin's laughter and her playful pose. He then proceeded pantomime taking multiple pictures of her good side. It was reminiscent of the way a professional photographer would.

"If the words unspoken, get stuck in your throat. Send a treasure, token token. Write it on a pound note, pound note."

He then stepped back at the next lyric as he sang and mimed writing a note on his hand as the song continued. For he wanted to give her a show to remember. His species did have a certain knack for song but it was more than that. He wanted to keep seeing her smile. Then when the song ended, he bowed and then grinned. "Yes you are, my lady. For I'd would love to see your skills." he replied with a playful wink.

Mitri then moved to once more take seat at the booth so that he could properly watch her perform. His lips then twitched with amusement at her choice of song. It was awesome and was a great start. It didn't matter to him that her singing wasn't perfect when she began. What mattered was her. Mitri loved how adorable she was as she gained more and more confidence in performance. It drew him in and he couldn't help but smile. When Aislin did the moonwalk and then the air-sax, he laughed and clapped.

As the song finished, he rose to his feet and started clapping harder. "That was awesome, Ash!" he congratulated happily.

"Now shall we do one together?" he asked.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2019, 08:30:45 AM »
Ash laughed breathlessly, and languished across the curved seat - kicking her legs up and crossing them at the ankle. She’d never realized how much of an endurance-booster alcohol could be until now. With enough liquor in her system, she could dance and sing for hours on end, and never feel drained.

“Yeah,” she answered. Her head lolled toward Mitri, smile still stretched brilliantly wide. “So long as you don’t mind if I lay here for it.” Lifting her microphone, she queried into the speaker, “Elton or Bowie? You pick; unless there’s something else you’d rather duet.”