Author Topic: Going My Way?  (Read 11050 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Going My Way?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 06:39:00 AM »
Jake's expression became skeptical. He'd assumed Luke would want him out of his head. Jake knew if the shoe was on the other foot he'd be begging Luke to leave his brain alone. It almost sounded like Luke wanted Jake in there. It made him feel excited, and he was thankful for the position he was sitting in as it hided that visible indicator of that excitement. There was something strangely hot about commanding Luke, ordering Luke. If Jake had wanted it, Luke's mouth would be around his cock. He loved the idea of that much control. He almost licked his lips at the idea, but quickly pushed those thoughts to the back of his mind. Jake had already had his chance, and now Luke had Ham, Hamilton, or whatever the fuck his name was. Jake also had Murphy and had turned Luke down for him. He tried to focus on that instead of his half erection.

"I don't know," he admitted. "I assume we can ask her for a back door for me if you want one," Jake said. He didn't know much about magic, and he knew even less about how Maria's worked. She'd managed to protect the White Rabbit, and Sabrina had recently praised her skill and knowledge. Surely she could accommodate that request.

"Do you want me in your head Luke," he asked. It came out more seductive sounding than he intended, and he followed it up with a childish laugh.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline suneater

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 01:03:31 PM »
Luke's frowned. It should have occurred to him that a back door was a possibility. I'm getting soft. This was just another manifestation of the same mental sloppiness that had resulted in him virtually leading Jake to Harm. He'd been working against his instincts since their... whatever it was... had begun, and all the dark eventualities he'd imagined at first were starting to come to pass.

Of course, he was closest thing to happy that he could remember, too. Was this the cost? Endangering himself and those close to him?

His eyes narrowed on Jake when the question came. "No," he answered, almost automatically, with stern certitude. He relented though, reaching up with his gloved hand to rub at his right temple. "Obviously not, but..." His gaze slipped to the sweating champagne bottle. "But there's a part of me that does like having someone who can check me." He tapped his forehead with his index finger. "We still don't know what's going on in here. What they did to me. If there's some kind of mental time bomb ticking away, you can stop me if it goes off."

His lips pressed together as he grew thoughtful. "And I guess I do want you in my head for, you know. Helping me. Figuring out what happened." He finally looked up at Jake again. "Fixing me."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 08:34:53 AM »
Jake was impressed by Luke's level of self sacrifice. Jake wondered if he'd be big enough for his people to let another have access to his mind. It showed Luke trusted Jake not to abuse the privilege, but he ended up deeply touched by the solider's actions, and he smiled approvingly. The other parts made more practical sense for leaving a back door. Their work had been limited but had already answered some questions, and while they'd agreed to space out the sessions to let Luke's mind and body recover, Jake was interested in the next one.

"The fact that you're willing to do that is why you're the man I want for the job," Jake explained. "The underworld we live in, as supernatural people, is rife with selfishness, corruption and violence. I should know. I've contributed my fair share." If he felt shame for it he didn't look it. It was an admittance without an apology.   

"I need someone who can keep my worst impulses in check and set an example for those who serve under him. I need you. Do you accept?"

Luke hadn't said yes just yet. Jake didn't need him to bend the knee and call him prince, but he did need to know he was serious. Otherwise this was just a limo ride.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline suneater

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 09:30:09 AM »
Luke found himself reeling slightly from the one-two punch of Jake's praise followed by his admission of his own wrongdoing. The only outward manifestation of the effects of the Ventrue's words was a faint, reflexive smile on Luke's part. It didn't even really look like he was smiling; he just looked a modicum less solemn. Internally, though, Luke couldn't help but wonder why Jake's approval meant so much to him. It was implicit in the offer, of course, but the remark on his character... he hadn't realized how key a figure Jake was in his existence.

The not-quite-smile broke into a wry half-grin, and he shook his head. The parallel between their hopes for another was amusing, to say the least.

"Yeah, yeah. I accept, providing that the witch can do what you think they can."

He leaned forward and extended his hand to Jake for a shake on it. "When do I get my Stetson and spurs?"

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2019, 12:59:45 PM »
Jake laughed, and had long suspected Luke had a sense of humor. He liked that quality. It proved that after all the facility had done to him they hadn't taken away his humanity. Jake nodded at Luke's comment about Maria. He'd set up a date for the three of them soon.

"You start as soon as you're ready, and the uniform is all black. You can pick the exact style." He turned his head and made a playful face. "Ask Lisa-Joe for help."

Official business was almost finished. It was time to move on to big subject number two.

"Tell me about your new friend," Jake instructed, his tone becoming a great deal more serious.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline suneater

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2019, 10:51:17 AM »
He was in the midst of rolling his eyes at the notion of needing Lisa-Joe's sartorial advice in order to pick his own uniform when Jake's follow-up question froze the blood in his veins. It wasn't just the surprise, or the subject- it was the solemn delivery. It suggested that the subject was important to Jake when it really shouldn't have been. If it were up to Luke, Harm wouldn't even be a blip on the vampire's radar.

Luke's features suddenly matched Jake's voice - any trace of lingering mirth was completely eradicated.

"I'd really rather not." The blunt reply dropped from his mouth like a hammer lobbed to land between them. "He has nothing to do with any of this. He's a normal guy." A thread of anger wound his voice tight and made it almost menacing. Anger blazed in his eyes as well... but then he relented into a frown. "I don't ask for much, Jake, but I want him to stay out of things. I want him safe."

His typically stoic features were turbulent, anger and dread washing back and forth across them, and his eyes were just as stormy as he spitted Jake with a stare.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2019, 11:08:02 AM »
Jake was quiet for a long time, weighing his reply with care. This little friend was already a part of things. Luke had seen to that when he'd started seeing him. He lived in Chinatown, Lan Bao's territory. It mattered an employee of the Anarchs was in her space unannounced. Then there was the masquerade. How much did this man know? How much did Luke plan on telling him? With Luke's mind the way it was, could he even be sure he was safe with this person? He wanted Luke to have someone. He wanted him to be happy, but there were plenty of vampires for him to choose from. He'd seen the beast inside Luke, and it needed another beast to be truly happy. Luke was like a lot of Thin Blood's Jake knew. They tried to live between worlds, pretending to be nice and normal during the day, but at night sucking cats dry in an alley. How long could Luke live a double life before he learned the worst truth about the supernatural; there was no going back.

"Fine," he said coldly, pulling back some of the warmer feelings he'd extended in the earlier part of the ride. The district leader looked out the window.

"All I ask is that you avoid seeing him in Chinatown for now. There are negotiations that be could be hindered by your continued visits. Also, as with all mortals, if he causes a masquerade breach it's on you to correct the problem. Otherwise knock yourself out."

The last statement showed some of his hurt, but he softened a bit now that the venom was out. "Where would you like to be dropped off," Jake asked. 
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline suneater

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2019, 11:20:14 AM »
Luke didn't let the wince he felt show on his features. He should have paid more attention to the supernatural geography involved. He nodded slowly, sorting his thoughts. There was more to unpack. The Masquerade. Luke felt his pulse quicken. A net of anxiety tangled up his thoughts. He knew full well that supernaturals didn't like the mortal world knowing anything about them, and Harm...

"He already knew about vampires, and suspected about werewolves." The words were a bit hurried, as if fighting their way out of Luke's mouth. "He works at a hospital, in an ER," he supplied, before adding, "But you probably already knew that," with just a hint of his own venom. "He knows not to say anything, though, and he isn't stupid."

No matter how well Luke tried to mask it, there would be no way for him to completely conceal the fear in his eyes or his tone when he asked, "That isn't a problem, right?"

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2019, 04:13:40 PM »
Luke's seemingly spontaneous explanation caught Jake off guard. He'd already informed Luke it was fine if he didn't want to talk about Ham. Jake couldn't understand the appeal of the whole doctor thing. He supposed never getting sick sort of ruined the fantasy. Still, it seemed this guy made Luke happy, and Jake considered, for just a moment, that he was just being petty.

No way. That definitely isn't it.

When Luke accused him of snooping, he nodded his head and smiled. Why deny the truth? He crossed his hands across his lap and folded them.

"I promise not to make it a habit," he assured. "You were new, and Lisa-Joe had concerns. To satisfy her, I had you tailed. I proved my point that you're trustworthy and have questionable taste in men. Just kidding!"

He threw his hands up like Luke might attack him. "And no, there is no problem. I mean this, I want you to be happy in your new life."

The statement had a lot of meanings, more than he wanted to unpack in the back of a limo. He was mostly talking about the fact Luke couldn't remember his old one, and that this world he was in now was a new way of living. Like vampires, Luke had been changed.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline suneater

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2019, 06:00:17 AM »
Luke’s relief was visible. He relaxed back into his seat and nodded slowly, taking a few seconds to sort his thoughts. Harm was safe. That was all that mattered. Now that they were past it, it was something of a relief to have Jake aware of him. In the very least it would curb him from dropping not-so-subtle hints about socialization or outright trying to get him laid.

“Is that all, then? I don’t want to keep you from…” He gestured vaguely with his gloved hand to encapsulate the interior of the limo. “… whatever else you have on your agenda.” It occurred to him that he hadn’t really been paying attention to Jake’s romantic life since Harm had materialized. There had been that kid from the creepy party at some point, but Luke couldn’t recall seeing him around lately.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2019, 07:34:07 AM »
Jake laughed at Luke's vague assumptions. Didn't he know this was all for him? Jake had a reputation for theatrics that he sometimes liked to contest, but this time it was a dead on assessment. Luke was witty. Jake wondered if that was something from before, or maybe something new. Either way, he liked it.

"Just tell me where to leave you or I'm bringing you with me. Like Opera?"

He assumed the answer would be a no.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline suneater

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2019, 01:51:00 PM »
Luke cocked an eyebrow, but gave the question consideration. This was the first time in his accessible memory that opera had come up, and he really wasn't sure how he felt about the art form. After mulling it over for a few seconds he shook his head. He considered citing his inappropriate attire, but realized that would only result in Jake stopping off to buy him a tux... if he didn't already have one squirreled away somewhere.

"Indifferent at best. You can bring me back to the Rabbit, that's where I was heading anyway. Have some stuff to take care of." He rolled his head on his neck slightly, managing to get the audible crack he was looking for. "Glad we got to talk. I've been... wondering about my role here for a while. Hopefully once your witch does her thing, we can do some more work on my memory."

His smile was thin, but it was there.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2019, 02:43:15 PM »
Jake was actually disappointed. He'd had a tux made up just in case. Well, Jake would find other ways to spend time with Luke outside of work and brain frying. Maybe he liked chess? He told his driver to stop back at the rabbit, and a gruff Russian accent said, "we just left there."

Jake turned back to Luke, and filled his glass one more time. All in all, he was pleased with the limo ride. It had gone far better than the last. He also knew Luke would keep him safe, and honest, and true. Jake understood he had a gut emotional reaction sometimes, that he could be rash and lash out. Luke would serve as a check against his worst impulses, as would Damien, and even Maria. Jake knew to survive he'd need advisers who both wanted him to succeed, but were wiling to disagree to help him do that. Luke was up to the challenge.

He also wanted to help Luke feel like a part of something. The Central District would be his family now. Jake would never tell him, but sometimes he wondered if it wasn't better that he couldn't remember. He had so much opportunity now, and didn't need the pain of the past weighing him down. They reached the White Rabbit in short order, and Jake opened the door for him.

"Congrats again, Sheriff. Ye-haw and all that."

Once Luke was out, Jake drove to see the opera by himself.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.