Author Topic: The Academy's Opening Fete  (Read 30387 times)

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
Re: The Academy's Opening Fete
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2019, 01:42:42 AM »
Cain, not wanting to do the wrong thing at the new Academy but also not wanting to deny James was caught with a moment of indecision. A vampire of authority had told him not to make out but had left them, the vampire he was building a relationship with was attempting to pretend it never happened. James would feel the initial surprise and tension but it quickly melted away and soon enough Cain was lost as the kiss resumed. He gave himself over to James completely, willing to follow his lead, daring enough to sneak somewhere and do more. He would break all the rules, as necessary.

~~~

Digital laughed a quiet yet lecherous laugh at Sam's acceptance and raked his goggled gaze up and down the other's form. Prim and proper, he'd have fun ruffling that look. "I will be there," he said. He moved away shortly after, going inside to look around at the upstairs. He wouldn't go downstairs at all - he already knew his way around there.
Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2019, 04:10:16 AM »
James pressed his body into Cain's, feeling the pleasure of the kiss completely. Howling like a dog wanting to be off his leash, Jimmy clawed his way to the surface. He would take this much farther than sweet little James, and Cain wanted someone to use and abuse him so why not give him what he wanted? James felt only a sweet disappearance into nothingness as he was replaced, and his last thought was hoping Cain enjoyed him as much he enjoyed the human.

Jimmy had no such concerns. Cain was a tool, a means to an end. Right now he thought the end he had in mine would look pretty on Cain's face, and he grabbed one of the human's hands and made him start rubbing. He figured it was unlikely that Owen would come back. He'd seemed pleased to make himself scarce after the whole Kerr drama, and besides, even if he did it was James who would face the consequences. Jimmy broke the rules. James paid for it. After feeling himself harden, and sparing a look at the door, he moved over to the desk and sat down, pulling Cain so that he was directly underneath him.

"Blow me," he instructed, pulling himself out and guiding Cain to his target. Once his pet was at work, Jimmy would keep one eye and ear on the door, while the other would be spent encouraging his partner towards the matter at mouth. How hot would it be to get serviced at work and that nobody would be the wiser? Jimmy hoped to find out. He discarded his glasses on the desk, and undid his tie. He wanted to settle in properly. In the back of his mind he heard the ticking of a clock. For now it was faint, and he pushed it to the side. It was something to look at later. He wondered if the other moon child could also hear the tick, tick tick. He placed one hand on Cain's shoulder as he did his work, while the other rested on the back of his head. This was the life.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2019, 02:54:23 PM »
Ben smiled at Astrid's reaction, nodding his understanding at her desire not to jump into having a forge created for her. She hadn’t even got her feet wet with classes yet, but Ben wanted the Academy to offer as much as it could for whoever needed it. He doubted that many magic-users would have access to a forge and he had no idea how to design one.

“I was hoping to put one in for future classes, or to make one available to hire perhaps. My ignorance about magic means one will have to be inserted after the fact. It would be easiest to add it onto the side of the moon garden. What do you think? Is an outside forge okay or should I add a small building like a smithy?”

He hoped she would readily offer her opinion. If she was willing, he meant to wrangle her into overseeing the building of the Academy forge, since she knew more about such things than anyone else on the staff.

He stood straighter when he was touched, looking up at Kerr beside him and giving him a quick smile before looking back at Astrid for her reply.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2019, 09:07:03 PM »
Kerr listened, wondering what they were talking about.

~*~

Left alone again, Samuel returned to looking at his phone, amending his text message to Dreki. He'd sent: At the Academy opening, looking for you! Where'd y when Digital had scared him and caused him to accidentally hit send before juggling the phone. Now he added: ou go? I'm in the courtyard. I swear you were just here! and sent it.

He began making his way towards the main building as he waited on a response, anticipating that Dreki had gone inside.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2019, 05:31:15 PM »
His phone had buzzed twice in regards to two texts and wondered if he should listen to it or not given that Hofflan did give him false hope once before. When some of the students he was talking to left, he pulled his phone out and listened. His heart raced in excitement knowing it was from Sam. He was surprised, not expecting him to be there but was happy for it. It made him feel a little more at ease given what happened earlier. He texted back 'I'm inside, sitting at a table by a classroom basically recruiting more students. Didn't realize you were here, but I'm happy you are. See you soon?' he seemed to be listening closely to the crowd, hoping to catch anything that sounded like Sam in it.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2019, 02:30:42 AM »
Samuel bounded into the building to search for Dreki once he had confirmation of where he was. It didn't take him too long to find him; he walked up and struck a pose, leaning one hand on Dreki's table, crossing a foot over the other jauntily and putting his other hand into his jutting hip pocket showily. He stuck his nose in the air for good measure.

"Guess who just got offered a job working at the Luminary - the former Chambers of the Oligarchy, I'm told - in their library?!" he announced. Technically, he wasn't entirely sure he'd work only at the Luminary because Ben had hinted that the Oligarchy's books were scattered in different locations, but to quibble over such details was to spoil the melodrama of his joyous announcement - and he was very joyful, indeed.

"And guess who he wants to take out to dinner to celebrate, hrmmm?!" he added, turning his head towards Dreki to look pointedly at him, eyebrows raised meaningfully.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2019, 02:48:47 AM »
Astrid smiled at Kerr when he returned to her table, then looked back to Ben as he spoke.  She kept a bit of restraint over her expression, but there was some discomfort edging in and something that felt like homesickness.  On the one hand, she was excited about the prospect of having access to a forge again with next to no effort on her part.  On the other, having one here out in the open was less appealing.  There seemed to be the implication that she would be expected to teach the craft.  And that was something she felt an instant defensiveness over without much cognitive thought behind why.  It certainly wasn't a feeling she was about to explore in the presence of thought-readers without the proper defenses on her end.

Her tradition was like a family heirloom in a way.  Minimally it was the sort of thing passed to a few apprentices, not an entire class.  It required many things, including innate magical ability and not to mention a talent for the base craft itself.  Folding intent into metal required magical hammers.  She shuddered at the thought of allowing any other hands pass over hers.

Really she was left not knowing how to respond, and fell back on the mechanics of the project.  Honestly, you could forge with coals sunk into a hole in the ground like the days of old if you really wanted to.  But access to modern equipment and things like propane could make it a much simpler project.

"It's good to have the ventilation, but the sound of hammering away at metal is another thing to consider."  She paused and shifted awkwardly.  "There's, uh, a lot of factors that need to be taken into account."  Vague.  She hated being weird about it but she felt so blindsided by the...offer?  Proposition?

Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2019, 05:40:26 AM »
Dreki's face seemed to light up once he heard Sam's voice and instantly looked at him. And with such exciting news too, a job meant that Sam wouldn't be leaving anytime soon, that they wouldn't have limited time hanging out. Part of Dreki not really having asked to hang out over text was because Dreki was afraid he'd get too attached to someone who would have only been temporary in his life, but this new job removed such a fear. And the happiness that Sam exuded was infectious, Dreki was all the more excited for Sam for reasons that weren't just personal and selfish. He was about to suggest they celebrate via dinner but Sam beat him to the punch.

"Way to read my mind" he chuckled, very much in a playful tone, "I'll pay, save your money for your first paycheck." He said in a very pleasant mood. He forgot all about Dr. Barrow and his worries when Sam came around if anything he was just concerned with where. "Where did you have in mind? I assume a place that can feed us both. Don't worry about price point, I'm able to afford most places in the city." He said which was true at this point. Earning 80k a year with this job, compounded into his other two jobs which was a total of 60k a year, even if dipping into his savings he'd be able to replace that money easily at this point.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2019, 06:42:52 PM »
"Aaaand that's exactly where we shall go. To Echelon. In the city!" Samuel declared, straightening up off the table and lifting a finger to point at the ceiling, like an explorer indicating the way they should travel. He only realised he was getting too loud when heads turned in their direction, giving him queer looks. He felt embarrassed but it barely curbed his enthusiasm.

In a more subdued manner, he extended an elbow towards Dreki, expecting he'd take it and allow himself to be spirited away. "Do you need to pack this up?" he enquired belatedly, looking down at the table of paraphernalia. "If not, I have my car. I'll drive us," he enthused, hardly able to contain his excitement in the face of mundane tasks such as packing up a table and tidying everything away.

That was more of a Dreki concern.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2019, 07:34:40 PM »
He chuckled at Sam's reaction. It was so earnestly excited that he couldn't help but be excited as well. He stood up, walked to the side of the table, and grabbed Sam's arm. The table was small and foldable, and actually came from the classroom behind him. He would have left it out even if he had left early for home so that way students could easily grab the info Dreki had out.

"The table belongs to the academy, and the students can grab the information without me here I'm sure. Shall we?" He asked explaining that there was nothing for him to pack up in particular. He was excited that he, by chance, just happened to be at the same event Sam was when he was looking to hang out again, such serendipity rarely happened to him, but boy did it make his night.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2019, 10:18:25 PM »
"We shall," he agreed and pecked Dreki on the cheek before he led him out of the building towards the carpark, where his car awaited.

(Continued in The Nearness of You)

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2019, 02:14:23 PM »
Maria appreciated the acknowledgement from Ichabod, giving him a nod in return and a polite smile. Maria had not met Ichabod in person until today, leaving a good impression on Maria, entering the classroom in awe. Maria couldn't stop looking at artwork hanging on the walls, is this what she was hiding? A smile crept up on Maria's face as Sam thanked Ichabod once again before he left. Approaching Maria with a large smile, the two embraced each other in a hug, Sam was happy Maria made it.

"Is this what you were hiding all these weeks?" Looking down at Sam holding her dear friend tightly; forcing Sam to look up at Maria.

"Yes. I wanted this to be a surprise and give the classroom... I guess some substance?" Maria laughed at Sam and her stumble for words, causing Sam to crinkle her nose playfully at Maria.

"Perhaps you meant to say it has heart. And it feels safe here you know? A place to work and have some serious discussions, but you can play at the right time too. It's engaging," Maria finally let go of Sam as she ventured further into the classroom.

A few more people wandered in and out of the classroom while Maria mulled about, fingers lightly trading certain symbols in the air, never touching the paper. Maria wanted to wait until the night was over to talk to Sam about her struggles, this night was already full of twists and turns, Maria wanted a private place to talk to Sam. Taking a glimpse here and there as engaged with those interested in the seven major clans, she seemed happy but something was off, Maria couldn't quite put her finger on it and it troubled her deeply.

Maria remained till the end of the event and suggested that Sam and her take a walk home,  Sam was reluctant at first but slowly gave in once Maria did a little bit of coaxing; Sam knew what it would be about and she wasn't looking forward to the conversation.

(Continued in Let Me Down Slowly)