Author Topic: Fancy Summoning You Here  (Read 8692 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Fancy Summoning You Here
« on: June 10, 2019, 02:59:06 PM »
Reserved

Thesdea Thane moved her hips side to side as she raised her arms, framing her beautiful face. She loved to bring in the darkness of her patron through dance. The goat devil was pleased to see his chosen vesicle praising him in a way that many Christian's saw as sin. She was a slave to him now; her free will being restricted to what method she would use to torture, whether to wear hoop earnings or studs, and maybe the random act of mercy here and there. However, tonight was not a night for mercy, and so her hips swayed to the psychedelia she was playing in the background. Her dress matched the music, a black flower power style frock with a large daisy printed on the left side. Over her shoulders was a gold shawl to match the center of the flower. In her hair a black ribbon was tied in a neat bow. She liked the bow almost as much as her gold leggings and four inch heels. Her lipstick was her normal shade of blood red, and her eyes were covered in a sparkly gold shadow. The clock approached the witching hour - that hour when the veil between world's is thinnest - and it would be at the stroke of midnight her thrall would be brought to her.

The witch let her dancing hips swhay her over to the circle she'd prepared earlier. The spell-work had taken her weeks to prepare, and she was concerned that it wouldn't hold once she had her prize. She'd never attempted something like this before. There was an overly energetic quality to her tonight that hinted at both excitement and nerves. Everything had been easy before this. The fool high priestess, the magic cat, and even the mighty Sabrina had all been child's play compared to the forces her master pointed her towards. However, in the service of Lucifer you either succeeded or died. Tess loved the dead, but she wasn't quite ready to join them. She made her way over to an alter sanctified in blood and other offerings. Book waited patiently on a hastily constructed podium made of three wooden boxes. Tess stroked her symbiote's spine, and it gurgled at her darkly.

Gwoop, guralat, Gwoop, Blurj.

"You let me worry about that," she snapped back, tickling it with a long nail. "Just show me the spell."

Book opened and slammed shut again in protest, but after a bit more spine massaging began flipping through it's many pages. As Book worked itself out, Tess turned to the alter, and double checked the circle. Sage, black salt and candles were scattered about in various positions. An Apotropaic wand, or Birth Tusk as Tess was calling it laid on the alter, the piece of curved ivory  being used in ancient Egypt to ward off evil. She had tweaked it to help contain evil, which in magical terms actually meant beings from the hell dimensions. Tess was more evil than most and yet the wand saw her as a friend. Magic could be specific like that. She'd made sure to be as specific as possible, which was why'd she'd used magic chains to create the boundaries of the circle, and Christian crosses to form it's five points. In each cross was a ruby, another ward against evil, and each was made of silver. Silver was the devil's power, and Tess laughed as she thought about the fool Judas and his coins. Her own blood was the last ingredient, a small bowl filled with it sitting next to the wand.

If whatever spawn of hell she managed to summon cooperated this would all be over soon. However, her master had warned her demons didn't like to summoned by witches, and that he may not be able to intervene if things went south. She looked to the room to make sure she was still alone. The keys to the warehouse had been easy to get from a seduced security guard. The cameras had been put on a magic loop for the next eight hours. She was ready to begin. Tess planted her feet and turned her attention to Book. She lifted the wand and held the tip to each of the crosses. A small spark jumped from each of the rubies. They were charged. She returned to Book, and brought it just outside the circle. She raised her hands.

"Lucifer!"

Thunder crashed.

"Old Scratch!"

Tess's eyes were taken over by blackness. Her hands began to shake, as fire erupted from the candles in the room, threatening to set the warehouse a blaze.

"Black Philip!!!"

This time the goat's haunting screech filled the space! Tess saw his shadow outline the other side of the circle. She smiled at her master.

"Lend me your power great one. Allow me to pull another great lord into my clutches. You alone can gift me this power." She lifted the bowl of her blood and drank it. The metallic taste held no allure for her life vampires, but as she ingested it she felt filled with the power of the dark father. His voice cut across the circle.

"BRING FORTH THE DEMON!"

Tess bowed her head, and began to read the incantation. Her arms swayed and flowed as she cast, calling out the four corners, the natural elements, and the power of the void. Slowly, the crosses began to glow, and the rubies in particular began to pulse. The chains began to stretch into the shape of the pentagram' her perverse desecration was to be the form of the demon's prison. Tess began to feel the air in the room part, a portal of some kind opening. She contained her excitement and continued to cast, knowing the being was likely to resist her pull. The spell's components turned from black to ghostly white, now matching the wand, as a portal the same color opened, thrusting a prize into the witches clutches. The fire died down. The crosses and chains were now floating and criss-crossed, creating a symbol of shackles. The room was once again quiet, and Tess now looked to see what she'd managed to bring forth.

"Cool shit," she laughed, staring at her new prisoner. She'd succeeded in bringing forth a demon. Now the real question was could she get what she needed before it tried to kill her.

Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Fancy Summoning You Here
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 04:10:00 PM »
Brael was asleep. An arm belonging to a human male was draped over him, fair skin on his black. His eyes opened as the room began to shiver and tremble, like an earthquake that was only happening in his mind.

"Oh no, not again," was all that he managed to say, reaching across to wake his beautiful partner up to apologise for his sudden disappearance, but he suddenly disappeared before he got the chance to say anything. The sheets and blanket on his bed held his shape for a second longer before they fell flat.

He arrived sitting on the floor of the warehouse naked and reaching across for a man who was no longer there. Brael felt the change from bed to concrete and slowly got to his feet, looking around. Any sleep residue was completely gone, though he felt like he'd been sucked through a tiny space before entering this one. Wholly unpleasant.

His nostrils flared as he took in a mixture of different smells; the stripped and sprayed wood of the crates, the metal all around them, the coppery scent of blood, the perfume of dark magic. He looked down at the shape beneath his feet and recognised it. He grunted; it explained how he could be summoned yet again. It wasn't the same ritual to call him specifically - it would call just any demon. He must've still been susceptible after the last time. Any number of demons would've been between him and this... this...

Woman? He looked at her, like she was a leftover relic from a different era. The music leant towards making him feel as though he'd shifted periods of time. He was pretty sure such a thing required much bigger magic than what he was seeing here. He recognised it all and realised she must be a witch. Human witch? He smelled the air. It was hard to tell with the blood on it.

He kept his human form, not quite ready to drop it and reveal his true form.

"What do you want with me?" he asked, not angrily but not entirely neutral either.

INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 04:25:02 PM »
The spell was holding for now. Despite her detached and dissociated appearance, Tess knew this magic required concentration. It wasn't her best asset, but at least for now she was focused. She stared at the summoned demon. Fuck, he was hot. Tess loved all men, and this was a nice looking specimen. Strangely, she thought of Wren, and it cooled the image of the demon. As she examined her captive, her bag - a black clutch - flew towards her hand, and from it she pulled out a compact. She checked her face as he addressed her, and was satisfied the spell hadn't spoiled it.

"Hey. Thanks for coming. I'm Tess. Oh, and I need a symbol of your power. No biggie, like a horn, or a scale is cool."

Her tone was utterly deadpan, like this was a reasonable ransom offered all the time. Perhaps it was in some magical circles, but not for her. She worked among the dead, and this being was very much alive. She doubted that in a fight she'd be able to best it. The strength of her spell and the Birth Tusk were her only means of control. However, her position was one of utter confidence and control. She couldn't tell what she was looking at, her second sight showing nothing and her knowledge of demons came up empty. However, she knew that if she showed any hesitation the demon may realize his position.

"What are you," she asked, a mild curiosity mixed in with the bitchiness.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 06:20:28 PM »
She introduced herself and declared her intention. At least she was a polite dark sorceress. He hadn't made an attempt to escape the circle that he'd been summoned into. He wasn't sure it had any power to hold him because of his nature, but he didn't want to test it yet. Why go ahead and ruin the conversation by escaping and then forcing a fight? He didn't like the odds of a one-on-one battle. It left too much to chance. He would much rather have his brethren beside him. Or Zeus. He would love to have Zeus here.

"I hardly had a choice," Brael replied. "I would say nice to meet you, Tess, but you didn't even invite me into your home." He looked around at the warehouse, assuming he was north of the city but really it could be any warehouse anywhere, he didn't have to be in the industrial area (but that was the most likely). He couldn't smell the ocean though, which meant he was further away from the beach, and he couldn't hear a lot of traffic or people, which meant he wasn't in the city.

"My name is Brael. That's my full name, by the way. I don't have a family name. What's your full name? Are you a famous witch?" He folded his arms across his chest.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 02:24:54 AM »
Tess was surprised there wasn't immediate rage, thrashing and cursing. Brael had even used a bit of humor in referencing his kidnapping. She supposed that was the mortal crime she was committing; forcing someone to be with her in an undisclosed location against their will. She pointed at the BoomBox she'd brought along and the song changed to better reflect the situation. After cracking her neck and closing her eyes for a second she reopened them and took in Brael. She wasn't seeing anything that gave clues as to the demon's nature, and her question on the manner had gone unanswered.

"Oh trust me. My place is a dump. This is better." There was something Valley-Girl about her way of speech, a few like's and totally's thrown in for flavor.

She traced the perimeter of the circle and danced a bit with her music, making sure to give Brael her eyes. When her full name was asked, a nagging voice tried to remind her that a witch giving away her full name was often their death in fairy tales, but she wanted to be a famous witch, and how was she gonna be famous if like... nobody.... like, knew her?

"Thesdea Thane," she introduced more formally. "And I wouldn't say I'm famous yet, but I'm def trying to make a name for myself. Got a profile under development, you know the gig. How about you Brael? You a foot soldier in the eternal struggle or do you call the shots?"

She matched his same polite tone, and reasoned that they both might escape unharmed. Hell, if she played her cards right and properly apologized maybe she'd gain a new ally against Sabrina's Brownie scouts.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 09:21:23 AM »
Brael was pleased that she offered him her full name - he hadn't expected it. This one's ambitions could be her undoing. Like her, he understood the power of a name, and even though he'd given her his, his weaknesses lay in different areas... such as summoning. Still delaying his testing of the mark upon the floor upon which he'd stood, he continued to converse with Thesdea. Like her, he wanted to be able to leave in one piece - though she seemed intent on taking a part of him.

He nodded. "I'm a soldier," he said, thinking of his pledge to Zeus. The shadow demon had imparted much knowledge with Brael, teaching him how to be a better second-in-command. He thought he shouldn't mention how high up in the ranking he was. Thesdea Thane might get other ideas and he would prefer to keep her on a single focus.

"How are you intending on becoming famous, Thesdea? Are you planning something magnificent?" he asked, dropping his folded arms and letting them hang loose by his sides.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 11:13:09 AM »
While Tess's knowledge of demonology was limited compared to Brael, she served a being who often interacted with demons. Her family had made their fame in banishing and fighting demons, and Book had entries on several species. Brael looked and felt like none of them. Could he be cloaked? That would take advanced magic. No, it was more likely whatever he was wasn't in Book. That posed problems but also exciting possibilities. Her dancing stopped so that she could study him better. If he was a soldier, than the lord he served must be something wonderful and dark indeed. She saw an image of herself in service to this lord, and maybe even rivaling with Brael for the master's power. It was a passing thought and nothing more, and yet it was heard. Her thoughts bordered on betrayal and suddenly a spectral nip at her ear returned her to the present moment.

Standing next to her was the dark master. Black Philip, the goat; who'd had bitten at Tess's ear likely in protest at her thoughts of serving other powerful dark forces. It's black eyes stared at Brael, some deep reservoir of anger welling up. It shrieked and Tess had to cover her ears. When she looked back at where her master had been standing, four legs had become two. Now the goat wore fine black silks, and a large wide brimmed hat. His face remained hidden and unknowable, but his voice hissed out into the room.

Does a witch not know her master?

"I do. I serve only you my lord," the witch said, fear entering her voice for the first time since Brael's arrival. She raised her hands up towards him in deference.

Does a witch wish to serve another?

"No, my lord. I am yours and you are mine." She was pleading.

It is nice to hear it. Return to your task. I do not like the smell of this one.

The room seemed to tilt, and shadow became goat, and then was gone. Tess knew the dark power required to see what she just saw, but was unsure if Brael had similar gifts. For all he knew, she was speaking to air. He'd likely assume she hadn't been making up the master, as most witches served some deity or another, but only he knew if he saw what she had seen. She returned her focus to the demon, remembering he'd had a question for her, but also feeling the need to explain.

"That was the boss," she said plainly. "Don't worry he's gone now." She actually wasn't too clear on that.

Now, what was his question again? Oh the plan!

"Yes," she admitted. "Something magnificent, and terrible." She brightened up at the thought. The revealing of her name was one thing, but Tess decided telling her whole plan to an unknown was not a good idea, especially considering the boss was not pleased. She didn't want to be rude though.

"It's going to shift the balance of power," the witch admitted, leaving it at that. She looked a little bit sad, feeling like she better get on with what was being asked of her.

"Okay so how do you want to do this? Can you just rip something off for me, or do I need to give you some magical help?" The deadpan tone was back. Tess was back. She started to dance, although not with the same pep as before.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 11:30:06 AM »
Brael stared at the woman until the air beside her shimmered and a terrible creature stood there, oozing resent at him. Brael's own power surged in response, immediately wanting to challenge this thing, but he was limited because he sensed that the thing wasn't really there. Enough of it had appeared to betray what it was - a creature from another dimension, one that knew nothing but evil - and Brael itched to attack it.

He held his ground instead, not knowing how he was supposed to fight something ethereal. He heard the conversation between the witch and the thing, though it sounded like speech heard on the wind. The exchange was short and then he was addressed indirectly before it disappeared, vanishing back into its hole.

Brael looked at Thesdea, horrified by the hold it had on her. This was something that Zeus needed to know. That creature would challenge him... but it would fail. Pride swelled in Brael's chest as he sure of the outcome. Still, a war was not something he desired.

Thesdea continued to speak to him, even as he gathered his thoughts about what he'd just seen. He ignored her request for ripping off pieces and focussed on what she'd said to him just before.

"Not just a shift, Thesdea Thane. There will be no balance of power if you tear a door for it to come through. I can destroy it but many lives will be lost as we battle." He spoke the words that would release him from the bonds she'd used to summon him with, the latin falling easily off his tongue so that he was released from the marking. He stepped forward, just to prove that he could. "It is fortuitous that you brought me here to see this. Let me help you."

Even as he said the words, he didn't think she would. She was in too far, her pledge too strong. He'd just witnessed it. She could separate herself from that creature no more than Brael could separate himself from Zeus. It was impossible.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 11:42:02 AM »
Her eyes widened with fear again as Brael broke her spell. Tess wasn't arrogant enough to assume she was the greatest witch alive, or even in this city. However, she prided herself on being both powerful and knowledgeable. She talked a lot of shit, but did the work to back it up. He'd made her look like a first rate conjurer, a blessed wanna be. Fuck that. Her hands turned black and resembled rot. Her face formed a pout, and she looked at the creature that threatened to hurt her master and friend. On some level his words cut through. There was a part of her that not only heard but screamed that she should accept. The tiny, diluted fragment of her soul craved escape and salvation and still wanted Tess to be whole. But Brael was right. It was too late for all that.

"Your concern is so touching, but don't worry. I've got it under control." She looked almost somber. "I know what I signed up for."

She held her position, but didn't dare make a move. Would he end her here and now? If he could undue her binds so quickly than she doubted her more active magic would effect him. It would negate the threat to come, and it was clear after seeing Black Philip that Brael considered him a threat. She hoped he wouldn't. She hadn't hurt him or caused him pain. She hadn't even been rude to her recollection. Maybe he'd agree to part amicably, or perhaps they could strike a deal? She had to hope.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 01:48:05 PM »
Armed with only the magic knowledge she knew, Brael didn't want to fight Tess. When his brothers were around him, it was easier. Their numbers would swarm the offender and there would be no contest. Here and now, either one or both of them could die. Brael didn't consider himself a fighter; he'd called himself a soldier because he currently stood at Zeus' side in wait of a command. Originally he'd been little more than a messenger boy, unimportant in the rankings of his brethren. One of many.

Right now he looked at her, not advancing, keeping his hands at his sides - except for the one that gestured vaguely her way. He could feel the magic thrumming in her much like he felt it in himself. They were both quite powerful.

"You can change your mind," Brael said, not giving up so easily. It might be a wasted effort, but he didn't know this woman and he doubted she wanted whatever that evil had in store for her. "I know all kinds of people who can help," he said. Then he made a crucial mistake. "There's a woman called Sabrina - "

He was interrupted.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 03:01:39 PM »
She was endeared to him. That's how it felt to hear him fight for her. She knew on some level it was more about the world than rescuing her from her dark pact, but she considered taking this out. If he could help her break her pact then maybe she could be free. Is that what she really wanted? A different version of her life appeared to her, one with friends, a living dog, her old gifts that were now buried underneath the necromancy. Brael claimed to have the power she needed, and for the first time since making her oath to Black Philip did she truly think of supporting another. However, this thinking was cut short when Brael said the demon-witch's name.

"SABRINA," she screamed, an unholy quality entering her voice. It sounded like a banshee, harsh and piercing. "I'm going to kill that miserable old cunt. I'm going to suck her dry and her little treacle too. Her downfall is part of the plan! She's weaker everyday! She can't help me! You can't help me!"

There was an anger unleashed. It was scalding hot, filled with hate, and overwhelmingly reeking of shame. He was trying to make her doubt her holy purpose. Her life only existed so that she could summon Old Scratch. The goat had made it clear her life had no other value. She was worth something only to him, and that if she turned away she'd be nothing. With all the horrible things she'd done, the Scottish Thanes would never call her sister witch, and the American line was dead because of her. Only Black Philip could love her. This Brael thought Sabrina could help her. Sabrina, who hadn't been able to beat Tess the last time they'd met? It was a trick. They were working together to stop her lord. He couldn't be trusted. Her eyes went dark and black once more and fire appeared in her hand.

It flew in Brael's direction, as Thesdea Thane ran towards the exit, Book and Birth Tusk in hand, screaming like a maniac.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 08:58:21 PM »
Her tirade let him know exactly the mistake he'd made. He shouldn't have mentioned anyone else. He should've let it be only him and her. She'd been amenable to conversation; she'd asked and answered questions. Even though she'd been after a piece of him, she'd faltered for just one moment. Frustration and helplessness overwhelmed him as she continued screaming obscenities about Sabrina.

Her downfall is part of the plan

What plan? He didn't know. He was saddened by her rage, by the words of denial she threw his way... until she threw something else his way. His eyes widened at the burning hand and when she pulled it back in a gesture that could only mean she meant to launch it as a projectile, he used the knowledge - her knowledge - and ability to speak the incantation that would get him out of there. Stepping back, his feet touching the circle she'd created, he finished the final word even as he threw up his hands to protect his face, the skin on his arms cringing at the warmth of the flames approaching.

The fire continued its arc and landed harmlessly on the warehouse concrete floor, sizzling and dying out with nothing to burn. Brael landed on his feet on the mattress at the foot of the bed but was already reeling backwards. He pinwheeled his arms but couldn't keep his footing and bounced on his ass before following through on the fall, slamming his head into the headboard and grunting at the force of it. Pain skyrocketed through his brain and momentarily blacked his vision.

Theodore beside him woke up startled, throwing the covers off himself before realising that it was his cuddle-partner that had jumped onto the bed.

"Get Zeus," Brael said through gritted teeth, sitting up but feeling clumsy.

"It's one in the morning."

"Get him!" Brael insisted, his usually gentle nature overrun by what he'd just experienced. He didn't want the memory of the  to go either. He needed to describe what had happened before the urgency faded from his mind. There was an undercurrent of dwindling time and the quicker he could get Zeus onto a witch hellbent on upsetting the balance (and one that was summoning demons for bits of their body, no less), then the better their chance for a successful outcome.

But he was worried. It was the first time he considered that the breaking up of Districts was not the best move. They were all divided in a way the Oligarchy had not been.

/end