Author Topic: Taking A History  (Read 10453 times)

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
Re: Taking A History
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 11:07:57 AM »
"Good thing I'm no longer human then," he responded jokingly trying to make the situation feel more light-hearted, but the next thing he said had a more serious tone to it, "Honestly, if they can kill me, then they deserve to have my heart on a platter. I've discovered through my own means several times over the years, that killing me will take much more effort than that of killing a normal human. That being said, I will be careful and will start taking different routes. I no longer have much of a deathwish as I know I'm too durable to do anything to myself, but as I think I mentioned earlier, if I don't become free soon then I'll probably lose my sanity as I don't know how much longer I can put up with this all." He spoke with such a candor to his voice that made it seem like this was an everyday topic. It also brought to light what Hofflan meant by he was worried that Dreki had succeeded at.

"If they go after other humans, I have the ability to heal others as well. Not like I have anyone for them to go after, except Emma, but she is so locked down in the facility, that not even I'm allowed to be alone in the room with her anymore. At least, not since they've gotten her pregnant for one of their twisted experiments, probably afraid I'd try to do something to harm it." He mentioned, almost seemed as if he was angry about it, but wasn't taking his anger out on anyone. "At least they didn't do to her what our foster father had, so she doesn't see it as a bad thing yet because she doesn't understand what she is about to go through, but still, putting her under and doing things surgically isn't much better. Another reason why I'm seeking out much help that I can right now. I need to get her free and to get that thing taken care of" A fire of determination seemed to burn in his eyes, he had cared more about Emma's outcome than his own. He had actually planned things out really well, and even had his eyes on a few assisted living communities for her, where she could learn to take care of herself with the help of a social worker and everything, which would allow him to have his own life but still visit her whenever he wanted.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 11:48:46 AM »
I wanted to tell him that there was way worse stuff out there than the doctor, or what had been done to him, or me; but he was trying to feel safe, and even I didn't want to take that away from him, yet. Instead I just nodded mostly, and looked to Rohan for support. Hopefully he'd say something nice. He'd learn about the horrors of this world in his own time. I looked to where Theo tended bar. Despite their positive nature, I suspected they knew about those horrors all too well.

"Just don't go causing traffic accidents," I half joked, half warned. "If I show you a payphone near your house can you find it every time," I asked. I was setting up the sting.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 12:18:38 PM »
"Of course" he said, having smiled at the joke, but responding to the payphone part. Dreki did have a rather sheltered view of the world, but given that both father figures he had in his life had sheltered him from the world for different reasons, it wasn't that surprising. Not that he talked much about his Dad, or his life before the facility.

"Is there anything else you need to know from me?" He then asked, "Or am I finally allowed to ask how you've been?" his tone was in good spirits, he seemed happy and otherwise unbothered by the conversation they just had. He wouldn't mind catching up now in a more friendly conversation.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 03:09:11 PM »
I had one or two final points to make, and put them forward when asked.

"Let's find the payphone or landline nearest to your house," I advised. "When they text you the address go the payphone and call my desk phone. Give it to me, but make sure you drink a whole bottle of whiskey or something first. I know it'll suck but you said booze keeps 'em out of your head. I'll make a b-line for the location and then follow you to wherever they're taking you."

This was my plan, and it wasn't a bad one all things considered. I had the right kind of gifts to easily stay hidden, and all I needed was an address. It's not like I'd actually try going inside... this time.

When Dreki asked again about my personal life I felt really weird. It was the second time he'd asked, and it made me super uncomfortable. Then again, maybe I was just worried about the idea of someone actually caring about my life. Here was a person wanting to connect with me, and what was I doing? Fucking it up? I decided to share.

"I got a boyfriend now," I said, looking at the table the whole time. "He's a cute air nymph. He likes pizza, dancing, fucking and weed." I smiled a tiny bit. "It's nice."
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2019, 05:24:53 PM »
He listened to Drew's suggestions in regards getting him the info, and thought about things for a moment. He had yet to speak with the witch he worked with so hopefully the solution they would come up with, would make for a better time than trying to down an entire bottle of whiskey, but he made note of it, in case he needed it. At that point a text hit his phone, from unknown number. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and unlocked it with his finger print. He brought up the text and then slid his phone towards Drew. He already knew what it was, Hofflan told him that he'd be texted it soon anyway. He was just happy and lucky it came while he was still with Drew.

"I'll keep the downing alcohol idea for another time, if my next step is less fruitless or not as perfect as I'm hoping things can be done. I work with a witch, I plan to ask her for a way to keep vampires out of my mind. I of course won't go into detail with her about it, unless it ends up being necessary for her to help." He mentioned, knowing that since Hofflan can't access him here anyway, he was more free to speak.

The text in itself only read 'Thursday, 7:30pm, Target parking lot.' and given how today was Wednesday, they had the rest of the night to plan.

"Also congrats on the boyfriend." He smiled warmly, for sure happy for Drew. "Sounds like he fits well with what you like, or at least what I remember from our first meeting. I'm glad to hear that the man who stole your heart, you were able to steal his back" he referenced what he said when they first met and Dreki was more drunk and horny as compared to drunk, sad, and scared. He was happy for Drew, but was reminded of Sam. In a way, he felt like Sam had stolen his heart. He tried not to think about that, as he knew that if anything Sam was looking for fun, and that's the exact opposite of what he was right now. He decided he'd worry about it later, focus on meeting the witch, maybe get something to help, and hope that he didn't ruin things with Sam afterwards.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 05:27:11 AM »
Stole my heart? Should I ask for it back?

I guess I just saw relationships differently, but knew I was overthinking it from the jump. He was being nice, and saying nice things to boot. Only I can see someone being nice as a problem. Well, nice people tend to annoy me, but I figured out a long time ago why. I'm not very nice. I'm cool, occasionally suave, and on occasion brave, but niceness, kindness, that word millennial's love call empathy; I suck at them at all.  Only Zeph made me feel different. Only he made me want to experience those other feelings.

I took note about the witch, preferring we don't involve magic in all of this but I didn't object because my strategy was getting trashed so perhaps the witch knew better.

"Hey thanks," I replied. "I'll probably fuck it up in a week or two." I laughed, letting what looked like sarcasm flow into the room. Little did they know I was being serious. I probably would fuck it up soon. Now I needed to ask Dreki a personal question. Oh god. I hate small talk.

"And you," I asked. "Find the Elton John to your Billy Joel yet?"
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2019, 05:36:27 PM »
Once he knew Drew took note of the day and time of the text, he put it back in his pocket, he smiled at Drew's sarcasm but didn't laugh. He knew that feeling of fucking up, a little too closely now. When asked about his own love life he took a moment to think. Should he talk about Sam? He knew that Drew didn't do good at empathy. He could tell just by how Drew spoke and in what tones. Tone of voice was something he's learned to go off of and nothing else for the majority of his life.

"Well, at best I had a casual agreement with someone, but that has since been put on pause, if not ended." He spoke in a light-hearted tone with a casual smile. He wasn't looking for empathy over it nor seemed overly sad about it. He tried to make it sound like it was mutual or in Dreki's end that it was paused or ended, and not on the other party. In a way he was kind of lying to himself. He liked Sam more than in just a casual manner, but Sam had only wanted a casual encounter between them, and he deep in the back of his mind, kind of knew he had likely ruined it, but didn't want to really think about that.

"Eventually I will, likely after I become free." He mentioned, seemingly hopeful about such a thing, but also sounding as if he was speaking to someone in a more professional environment. "After all, the less people I get involved right now, the better." He was using Drew's words from earlier, almost as a way to agree with it all, but damn if he didn't feel lonely a lot of the time, he was using his slightly professional tone to try and hide this, and it tended to be his go to way of hiding his emotions when needed. It worked against Hofflan, so he would expect it to work against most if not all others he encountered.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 10:15:22 AM »
As I listened, I realized I didn't think Dreki was a bad guy. He's long winded for my taste, but then again some days I think I'd love to live among mutes - as long as they had beer anyway. He was just a kid really, and at that moment I felt my vampire age. As he talked about freedom I held my tongue. I wanted to tell him we're never really free. The wheel goes on spinning, and we're all just cogs. I chose not to because I could tell he needed to hope. He needed to hold on to the idea of something better. Not even I'm cynical enough to take that away, at least while I'm this sober. I realized I wanted a smoke, and then I remembered I still hate small talk. I checked my watch and realized I needed to leave now if I was going to ride back home before day.

"Well, men are like buses. The'll be another one in like twenty minutes."

I gave my best smile, and turned to Bambi. "Rohan, always a pleasure to have you lurking silently. Please give Theo my best."

I turned back to Dreki. "Need me to call you a cab from here? Otherwise I gotta bounce before the sun comes up."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 10:58:33 AM »
He laughed at Drew's response, it helped him feel a bit better about Sam for sure, but it also occurred to him that he never quite told Drew that he wasn't gay, that gender to him was meaningless and as long as he liked a person, he'd be willing to be with them. He liked Drew, and was glad to have him as a friend, that alone meant a lot to him.

"I should be fine getting home on my own, if you need more info just let me know. I suppose I'll see you this next night." He smiled, figuring he wouldn't see Drew until after the appointment itself, but felt safer knowing that Drew would be around, and even following him.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2019, 03:39:18 PM »
I started moving towards the door.I called out bye to Theo, and gave Dreki and Rohan one final wink and a click of my tongue before heading out into the night, and the coming morning. It wasn't a long walk from An Tsi back to the White Rabbit. I unchained my bike and crawled on, thinking of the case in front of me as I turned the ignition over. Two foster kids were adopted by the facility by some creepy ass doctor. He then experimented on at least one of them and is using the other as some emotional hostage. It was all connected to the facility, that place that was beginning to present a problem to the city's supernaturals. This was big. As I made the left turn that led to Rebel Rebel I wondered if I was getting in over my head. Surely, the Central District should take this over. Hell, I debated calling the ward, but Dreki had come to me. I needed to solve this for him. If bigger authorities got involved it would just put him and others in danger.

I decided that my first step would be to learn everything I could about two things; one, the adoption of Dreki and Emma; and two, this doctor figure who haunted their lives. I knew where I had to go first. Child services had changed it's name three times over ten years. They did a rebrand and got new grants, no matter what scandal shut them down the time before. They need was too great to have nothing. Too bad what is out there is shit. I knew Dreki's appointment was tomorrow, and I wondered then if I should've asked him to stall. Maybe I'd text him at sundown and see if he could delay them a night. I wanted more background before I followed him to the wolves's den. I reached home and chained up my bike. Daylight was close now. I wasn't scared. You either live or you die, and while I wouldn't make it a habit to get home this late again, at least for now I was safe and sound.

I texted Zeph a good morning video, instructing him to go to class, and telling him that I had to work tomorrow night. Then just for fun I sent him a nude, smiling at what he'd think when he opened it as he woke.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2019, 10:51:09 AM »
Theo walked over to the table where Rohan sat, staring at empty space.

Theo sighed. "Rohan?"

Rohan didn't so much as blink, "Yuh."

"They're gone, Rohan." Theo tossed the towel at him and it landed haphazardly across his neck and shoulder, water causing it to stick to his skin.

"They are." The towel began to slide downward, prompting him to raise his arm to scratch behind his neck.

Theo frowned and slid into the opposite bench, holding up a finger with a polite smile to the patron beckoning at the bar. "Wanna talk about it?"

Rohan snapped back into it. "Nah." He shook his head. "Nah, I'm okay. Just a lot of things to process." He stood up, stretching and cleaning the booth behind him. "I think, though," he motioned towards the seat where Dreki had been sitting, "that we should expect to see him a bit more."

"Oh?" Theo asked, helping Rohan tidy as they made for the back of the bar.

"Mhmm." Rohan looked away, grabbing liquor from the shelves with his back to Theo. But they already recognized the look within his eye. "I think the protections here would do him some good."

Theo smiled, despite themselves. "Well, good thing we have a convenient schedule, huh?"

Rohan nodded, moving back into his normal rhythm.

"I wonder when Luke is coming back." Theo said, just audible enough for Rohan to hear. The aforementioned rhythm was momentarily disrupted as a blush appeared and he cut them a dirty glare.

Theo hummed, as innocent as could be, as they finished the drinks for the patient regulars, chuckling along at Theo's teasing.