Author Topic: Finding a Nest  (Read 11829 times)

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a Nest
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 08:43:58 PM »
A successful feeding instructed over the phone, Charon noted with incredulity. Since you have had great success with him, did you want to make him a personal project? Adopt him? He's intriguing in his advancement. It makes me wonder...

He left the thought broken, wondering if he would earn himself a sharp look from Jeanne. He had connections with his family, but not the bright, vivid connection that came with a first generation fledge. But, and this was a big but, he doubted he would have patience for anyone that he didn't find intensely enchanting. He could see himself losing patience and interest in Murphy as well... unless the youngling continuously surprised him. He would be a complicated prize though, coming from the middle of Ben and Jake. If those two weren't around to interfere, he would've given it serious thought.

Never mind. Is there anything else you think I should know? An opinion or suggestion?
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 09:17:14 PM »
Charon's questions were all so loaded and Jeanne was freshly tortured by the thoughts she hadn't been able to let go of since they'd arrived home. Murphy made her wonder, too; wonder at her own mistakes, at her lack of wisdom and her own connections. She'd never have that again, though Charon was being deliberately polite in not saying so, if only to keep the peace between them. That he offered her Murphy at all was a great compliment and also, she hoped, another step towards forgiveness.

Did she deserve that, though? She'd let Charon down, betrayed him, destroyed his trust. How infantile she felt to only now begin to understand the true depths of her own arrogance and stupidity, when she was offered an inadequate substitute. Oh, Murphy would be lovely and she'd grow attached to him, she was sure, but it would never be the same as having her own true fledge. Could she be content with the status quo, when it was within her grasp to have it all? Did she dare?

It was a difficult decision to make in haste, yet that was where she stood; she had to decide what she wanted, and fast.

If he wants me, I will take him on. I am honoured you would consider me for the task, she sent Charon a sense of love and humility, blowing him a gentle kiss with the hand not holding her glass for good measure. I am content to let him choose, and if it is me he wants, I shall happily answer the call.

She paused, considering how best to phrase her answer to Charon's final prompts. Care was needed in the wording, lest her grand-sire take her thoughts as condemnation of his kindness.

I... do not think he should keep himself apart from those he is closest to. Not for any length of time. Certainly, he is traumatised tonight but what of their reactions if he hides here, knowing he has kept this from them? He might as well deliberately sever ties with them as take that cowardly path. His making was a slight against them and the sooner that gambit is played out, the swifter the healing for everyone will be. I think it is also worth considering your feelings on the matter. Lazarus has moved away but he has few resources at his disposal and we have many. If I took Murphy now, we have the means to travel in the daylight and catch up to this lone wolf. By the time a new night falls, I could have him in my grasp and kill him, if you wish it.

She bowed her head, knowing it was no small offering, proposing to deliberately hunt and kill one of their kind. Retribution for retribution. It wasn't Sacramentum's style but justice always had been and if Charon thought the scales were tipped against Murphy and this would help balance them, now was the time to act. They wouldn't have another opportunity like this, when the sire was not so far away and likely to feel himself safe.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 09:51:26 PM »
Murphy gave a small nod at Charon’s response, it was what he’d expected given his previous knowledge, but being able to feel it for himself, that was a different matter. Even once he’d stopped sensing Lazarus he wondered how long it would take for that instinct to try to feel for him would last. In his head he didn’t want Lazarus to be nearby, but there was something within seeking his sire, bastard that he was.

He hesitated slightly as Charon dismissed him, a little surprised, but as he glanced between the two older vampires it made sense. No doubt they wanted to discuss him without him there. To be honest, if Charon was going to ask for more details of what happened he was relieved it would be directed at Jeanne, not himself. He’d already been through it twice, once in experiencing it then when Jeanne ran through his memories, so he could do without that again tonight.

The weight in his bag reminded him he still had his tablet. He could still contact Ben and Jake if he wanted to, but they were unlikely to email his as their first option, so he didn’t feel overwhelmed by that possibility.

As he entered the corridor and found himself alone again, Murphy took a deep breath a steady himself. The corridor was quiet, but he could feel people nearby, humans going about their business, a mental buzzing of other supernaturals in the building which he didn’t recognise and tried not to connect with.

Murphy made his way to the gallery Charon had directed him to, relieved not to run into anyone on the way. Right now he couldn’t imagine ever feeling satisfied with the amount of blood he drank, but he knew it would ease in time. Months maybe, or years, but it would come.

Trying not to think about the discussion going on about him, Murphy followed Charon’s advice at first, approaching a couple of paintings to examine them. He’d been in here once before, and the colours did seem sharper, brighter. It was amazing and Murphy sorely wished he had someone there to share this with, a sire who would take joy in hearing the exclamations he wanted to make, savour those experiences with him.

There was no one though, and without someone feeding that enthusiasm Murphy’s  tiredness soon became a distraction and before long he took a seat on a small bench in the centre of the room, where one could pick any direction to sit and gaze at the paintings around them.

He wasn’t really focusing on anything with his eyes anymore - his mind wandered back to picturing Ben and Jake’s reactions, turning them over time and time again, then reaching for Lazarus, then back to those he’d meant to spite. Charon had said he could stay here for as long as he liked and seemed impressed with his abilities so far, Murphy assumes they would help train him, but for how long? He wasn’t part of their family, he’d missed that chance. There was the academy - Murphy almost laughed at the idea of Kerr being his teacher after Ben’s rejection. God, there was too much to think about with all of this, but he ran through it all as he waited for Charon, oblivious to the plans being made.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 10:14:13 PM »
Charon was unlocking Murphy's phone to reply to Jake's text on his behalf when Jeanne had him halt in his actions. He froze, becoming much like a statue, and stared at her. The suggestion to hunt down and kill Lazarus wasn't unseemly - he'd killed vampires himself personally when he'd been slighted. This wasn't a slight against him though; the blonde ancient wouldn't have known of Murphy's connection to the Sacramentum, and as far as he'd known, Lazarus hadn't wanted anything to do with their family. He'd kept well under their radar.

With his mental response, he acknowledged her emotions and sent his response with radiating pleasure, pride and love. Jeanne had proven herself well beyond her past mistakes. She would be able to sense his belief.

It is not for us to seek vengeance; his actions were not against us. Leave him for now - perhaps in a century Murphy might like to hunt him down himself. Or Jake or Ben - I know our escaped bird wouldn't mind sending Lazarus to his death, though he hasn't killed yet and I am unsure if he will develop a taste for it.

Hmn. He couldn't picture Ben dealing a fatal blow. Now Jake, he certainly could. It brought him back to the text, which he stared at.

On your way? Want me to have some food or drinks for you?

Charon typed out a slow reply, jabbing at the letters and formulating a response.

This is Charon. I have Murphy at the estate. I do not wish for him to be distracted while he performs a task I have set out for him. It might take some time. I will keep you updated when things change.

Murphy's task was to deal with what he'd gone through. Charon was reminded strongly of when he'd placed Ben under Jake's care. Now he had Murphy under his own. An interesting dynamic.

He pressed send.

Let us both collect Murphy and take him upstairs to the lavender guest room. He should be surrounded in softness.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 10:36:13 PM »
Jeanne smiled, giving a soft chuckle as she finished the last of her blood and rose to go to Charon's side. Softness, she mentally chided, buoyed by his love and approval and not at all discouraged by his rejection of her proposal. He was right. You'll spoil the childe, she murmured indulgently, linking her arm with Charon's. She expected nothing less, really. Everyone deserved a little pampering when they'd experienced trauma such as Murphy had.

As they moved out of the Autumnal room, Jeanne also tamped down her own mixed feelings. They had no place here and now. Just because Murphy had stirred this restlessness and self-flagellation to life in her didn't mean that he was in any way responsible for bearing the repercussions of it. Nor was Charon. Such pendulous decisions about her life connections, desires and future happiness were for her alone to work through. Their time had come and she would be ready to face them, soon.

But first, Murphy needed a little coddling. She wondered if he liked the violin.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 06:28:01 AM »
Jake's phone chirped and he read the reply, face contorting into puzzlement. Murphy hadn't mentioned working for the Sacrament tonight, and why did Charon need Murphy's phone if he was doing a task? It was off, but he considered he was just being paranoid. Charon was an honest man - mostly - and Jake had no reason to doubt that Murphy had probably been called in last minute and forgotten to cancel. He typed out a quick reply.

Okay. I'd say give him a kiss for me, but I'll save it for when I see him. Warm feelings to you and the family. Have him check in when he's free. J.
Send.

Now he had no plans for the rest of the night. Sam was away, and Luke was off with his little boyfriend, Ham, or whatever his name was. Jake thought about calling Lisa-Joe and having her keep him company till sunrise, but she too had plans. She was with Seb? Pierre? Some chick named Morgaine? He couldn't keep up with Lisa-Joe's love life at this point. He ended up deciding to work till it was time to sleep, and pulled his laptop out to answer emails, and set up meetings. The silence in the apartment was too loud, and so he put on music to drown out the ringing in his ears.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 07:22:57 AM »
With the mobile phone placed on silent so it would only vibrate its response, Charon walked with Jeanne to the gallery - a few steps in found Murphy on a seat, staring. Charon touched Murphy's mind as a way of letting him know of his presence, much like a mental hand on the shoulder, but with Murphy's presence he sensed an undercurrent of grinding thirst, overwhelmed emotions, imagined expressions from Ben and Jake, and a kind of... numbing blanket over it all - his ability to cope, perhaps? The brief touch wasn't enough to properly understand the freshly made vampire's processes but he wasn't going to delve in further. Charon withdrew as Murphy came out of his thoughts after sensing them in return.

Come along, now. I want you settled in your room before you sense the weight of dawn coming over you. There are still a couple of hours yet, he said, and realised that if Jake must've been expecting Murphy to arrive at his place at three or four in the morning. Murphy was spending the day at the White Rabbit now? Things must have progressed to something quite serious if a vampire was allowing a mortal their bed during the day. Though Jake was a modern vampire so perhaps he was more cavalier about such things.

The lavender room was a large bedroom with attached ensuite upstairs on the first raised level. The third door to the right opened into a room fit for a movie about the renaissance. Wall panels covered in lavender-patterened fabric with strips of walnut wood edging each panel. Large paintings of alpine scenery made an impression upon each wall; a lake and mountains here, a cabin nestled in a pine forest there, snow-capped mountains and a waterfall finishing off the room. The wall that held no paintings had shutters and holland blinds to protect the room from daylight - though now the blinds were up and the shutters were open. When the three of them entered, Charon gestured to them (but only for Murphy's sake) and they carefully closed and latched themselves. The room was chill but neither of them were bothered by the cold, though all of them would sense that it was cold.

The bed in the room looked insignificant even though it was a king-sized poster bed, with white sheer curtains tied to its walnut frame. The bedding was also lavender, and the cushions of the stately armchairs (with flourished wooden arms and legs) were also lavender, but that was where the colour stopped. Enough to make one think of this room as 'lavender' without being affronted by the colour. Touches of walnut, white and gold finished the room off.

Charon entered the room fully and moved to each window so he could physically pull the blinds down, covering the shutters. Then he faced Murphy - aware that the phone had buzzed silently in his clothes. He would check the message later.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2019, 07:52:08 AM »
Murphy blinked out of his mental solitude as Charon touched his mind and sat up straighter, turning to face the ancient, giving a smile which didn’t quite reach his eyes.

Okay, he replied mentally – he was still tried, but responding in kind felt like the natural thing to do with Charon now that he could. A few hours of peace and quiet before he had no choice but to sleep… it felt so odd to think of it. He’d mentally tried to prepare for it when he’d thought Ben would be siring him, but the truth of the matter, especially when it hit so suddenly, was very different.

He didn’t try to spark any conversation as they made their way to his room, but looked around in awe once they were there. The whole building was exquisite, but Murphy had never been in any of the bedrooms. He imagined those belonging to members of the family would be more personal, less themed – this felt like a hotel in one of the most expensive places he could imagine (which, due to a lack of experience, wasn’t terribly grand in his imagination). He ran his fingers along the walnut panels, feeling roughness where before there would have been a smooth finish. He spotted the en-suite and longed to take a shower, to get off that final feeling of grim from his attack and turning, but he resisted the urge to g fiddling with the fittings.

His golden gaze followed Charon’s gesture to the windows as the shutters covering them shut themselves. It was all so well prepared, ready for any eventuality it felt like. Watching Charon do something so domesticated as shut curtains felt odd, like he was seeing something that he shouldn’t, something private.

Murphy turned back towards Charon after doing a turn around the room to get his bearings. He wanted to ask what Charon had sent, or would send, to Jake, but he knew that asking that would open a whole can of worms, none of which would help him rest. If only there wasn’t all that drama to get past – having Jake or Ben here to hold tonight

day

…would be a huge comfort, but not a practical one for now.

This is really nice, thank you, he sent to both of his hosts, reaching out to run his fingers down the light cloth of the curtains surrounding the bed, his new senses wanting to experience all they could.

He heard the tiny sound of the vibration in Charon’s pocket and his gaze flickered downwards before meeting Charon’s amber gaze again. Ask, ask what it says, ask what he said, I miss him here, he’ll hate me. Murphy pressed his lips together, trying not to let himself think about what Jake might have been told or be thinking right now. He had to look after himself.

Hugh, and… Royce? Will you tell them what happened? For tomorrow night? he asked, letting his mind wonder back to the other important thing he felt currently – hunger. The mugs had been fine, but nothing like drinking from Andy, and he was supposed to have one of them there if he did that. Will they… can they give me any training, if they want to? Or is that… I don’t want to be in your way, Murphy added hesitantly. Charon had said he could stay, but hadn’t really mentioned any training, just feeding. That was a part of training, but if he had people here who could help, and wanted to, Murphy wanted to make the most of that.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2019, 07:48:54 PM »
Jeanne was compelled to reply, at the mention of training. To throw her hat in, as it were. She approached Murphy and took one of his hands between both of hers to get his attention, smiling into his golden eyes when they were directed at her.

We will inform Hugh and Royce, yes, she confirmed, reaching up to brush the tips of her fingers across the front of his hair because a small section had become flattened and it looked a tad uneven, to her. She thought he was even more handsome as a vampire. As for training, that is another question entirely. Not one that must be answered right away. You should wait and see whom you connect with. It may be someone from our family, it may not. You must be comfortable with them, for it can be an intimate process.

Of course, it was usually a more organically intimate process because it was generally shared between a blood-bonded pairing, but she didn't feel it worth pointing that out. It would sound like a condemnation for something entirely beyond Murphy's control. Besides, he could probably deduce as much for himself.

If you wish, it could be me. I will inform everyone in the family to avail themselves to you, if they are willing to take you on, also. Would that suit you? Your choice would be far greater, then, she informed, a twinkle in her own eyes.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2019, 09:41:38 AM »
Charon could hear their conversation as though it was spoken out loud but he didn't insert himself into it. He thought it interesting that Jeanne believed Murphy would be better off picking whoever he liked best rather than whoever was best suited. Jeanne, who had no fledgelings living here of her own, would make an excellent surrogate, but perhaps she herself wasn't quite convinced. A powerful fledge would make for a less frustrating student, but Charon didn't have the patience for a baby bird.

Ben's cravings - and he was past the stage of infancy - had been strong enough to be eye-rolling. When Charon had played the part of Kerr, Ben would disappear into the kitchen four times a night to warm up something to drink. Charon had been more interested in watching him drink from someone, but Ben had constantly come up with excuses not to go out while they were together.

He wondered if Murphy would be a private feeder as well. He thought it interesting how both of them shared strong similarities, though Murphy was the more outgoing of the two. They both had strong willpower and resilience, they were both independent but could ask for help when overwhelmed, they were both thinkers - though Ben focussed on himself and Murphy on others. Charon used to believe that Murphy was less ambitious - but after getting to know both young men, he'd changed his mind. Murphy was no less ambitious than Ben, but he was less ruthless in his desire to achieve his goals. Murphy was more likely to assess the potential outcomes. Because of this, Murphy made a better fit for the Sacramentum.

He preferred when family members (even if they were adopted) lived together. When Leoric left, angry and hurt by Jeanne, his decision had isolated him. For almost a milennia, Charon had given Jeanne a hard time because of whose blood flowed through her veins and not once had she soured from the family or thought to run away. She'd earnt her place here. She was not weak. She made bad decisions but he enjoyed her company more than Ari or Felicia, who didn't care to share their thoughts and opinions with him until they were asked. Felicia sometimes didn't even do that. But they stayed and they were loyal.

He thought all of this in the space of a minute, whilst Jeanne and Murphy chatted. Murphy would make a fine addition - someone to take his mind off the return of Royce, who was his new disappointment. Ari was another, like Jeanne, who chose fledglings badly. Felicia had magnificent taste, though he doubted she would care about Murphy's situation.

Not everyone in the family is appropriate as a teacher or would not be distracted by their own situation, he flashed at Jeanne, and Jeanne alone. Then, to both of them, I will leave you for now, to give you some quiet. We will talk tomorrow.

Should nobody stop him, Charon would exit the room.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2019, 04:46:17 PM »
Murphy couldn’t help but smile as Jeanne approached and made her small motions of grooming him. She looked so young, younger than him, smaller, yet when she was near he could feel her age. He knew Kerr reacted badly, getting overwhelmed by the age of ancients, but Murphy wasn’t overwhelmed. Impressed, in awe because of the ways they followed, and there was an awareness that they were older, but he didn’t find himself frightened by it.

What Jeanne was describing made sense – Murphy knew it wouldn’t be the same as having his own sire training him, but that wasn’t going to be possible. There were other options. He would be an idiot to turn down the option of having someone on the Sacramentum train him if that was an option. Charon had mentioned Ari previously, but he’d lost interest (without even showing he had any in the first place). He didn’t want someone like that. There were options at the Academy as well, but Murphy did feel safe here and at the moment that was a huge positive.

Thank you for your offer, I will seriously consider it, and see who fits best, he replied, lifting his hand to lightly touch her check in thanks. It was going to be difficult, trying to prove himself worthy so that the family members would think he wasn’t a waste of time. Jeanne was already offering, so that was reassuring already.

His golden eyes flickered towards Charon, half wondering whether the patriarch would consider giving up any of his time for training. Not all of his training, obviously, Charon had other matters to attend to, but perhaps some time. It would be an amazing opportunity.

When Charon took his leave Murphy gave a small nod, and thanked him warmly as well. He knew he’d made the right choice by calling Jeanne tonight. If he’d called Jake or Ben then Andy would probably be dead – or someone else in that motel. They probably wouldn’t have got their so quickly, so more than one person could have been a victim. Then he would have needed to tell them about Lazarus, Jake might have wanted to chase after the blonde, Ben would have… who knew. Maybe shipped him here anyway for safekeeping.

Once they were alone Murphy turned his attention back to his rescuer. He wanted to shower, but that hollowness as gnawing at him again.

Can I feed again? Is there time? Either a mug or… if you’re free perhaps you could help me again, in person this time? he asked, a slightly sheepish look on his face. She’d already given up so much of her time for him this night, he wouldn’t blame her if she simply ordered him another mug (or two) and left him to it.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2019, 11:28:20 PM »
Jeanne faltered at Charon's... well, it felt almost like a reprimand but she knew he was right. Not everyone in the family would suit Murphy as a trainer. Charon's gentle chide was flattery and as nice as that was, it was also surprising. It forced her to acknowledge that, although he'd forgiven her, she hadn't forgiven herself. Still, she was resolved to let Murphy choose, even if it came back to her anyway.

The youngling's hand upon her face was a surprise. Her thoughts stilled and she blinked at him, finding the contact gentle yet refreshingly intimate. None of her family were as tactile as she - though Charon tolerated her hands upon him, in his own grandfatherly way - so Murphy's touch thrilled her in a thoroughly unexpected manner. She was too surprised and the contact too fleeting for her to entirely examine its effect on her but the result was a surge of indulgent affection.

Of course you may drink again, she cooed into Murphy's mind and began a mental sweep of the estate to find a suitable candidate. As necessary as it might be to expose Murphy to all the different kinds of reactions mortals gave when being drunk from, Jeanne didn't think it necessary to make any such point with his second feeding. She searched for a donor who was, primarily, a meditative responder, secondarily was awake at this late hour and, thirdly, was willing to subject themselves to the possible experimentation of a fledgeling biter. The response was swift and Jeanne made her choice gratefully.

"Clair is coming for you to drink from," she informed Murphy, using her voice because she thought that the prospect of an imminent drink would distract him too much to concentrate on her mental voice and she needed to give him important instructions. "I want you to consider how you would like to drink from her. It is imperative that you have confidence and make the decisions early. Take charge. Mortals expect it to be this way so it is necessary for you to accept the natural order of things now. You must be in control - even if you do not feel that is your right because you are so young, it is. I assure you."

Despite her words, she grasped Murphy's hand and led him to the bed, sitting him upon the edge of it and seating herself upon his lap, sidesaddle, with her arms about his shoulders. "You could stand, but she is quite a bit shorter than you, so this might be better. Of course, you may also have her recline upon the bed and you might lie with her, but that could feel too much, with a stranger. The problem is, this business is going to be intimate, every time," she warned him huskily, looking steadily into his golden eyes. Their noses were almost touching. "You will get used to it but your donors may not. You should understand this. Now, this would be the most comfortable for you both."

Briefly, Jeanne leant towards Murphy, her face pressed to his shoulder so that her neck was conveniently exposed to his mouth. She didn't remain in this position for long at all, however, because she heard a heartbeat approaching down the hall. "Ah, she comes," Jeanne exclaimed delightedly, getting off Murphy's lap and grabbing his hand again to tug him to his feet. They were both facing the door when a portly older woman with a sweet blush to her cheeks entered the room with a smile.

"Hello," she greeted cheerfully, giving a little wave. She was slightly shorter than Jeanne herself, though where Jeanne was willowy and graceful, Clair was rotund and homely. She had a little round belly, considerable bosom and the general shape of an upside down pear. She wore a white button up shirt, black skirt, tights and flats and her hair was silvery white and held up in a tidy bun. Despite her hair colour, she was only in her early forties.

Jeanne stepped forward to gather the mortal close with an arm about her, accompanying her the couple of steps back to Murphy. "Clair, thank you for coming so quickly. This is Murphy. He is young, as I told you, and eager to learn to drink without pain or difficulties. It is our job to guide him," she smiled conspiratorially at the mortal, giving her shoulders a squeeze.

Clair reached up to pat Jeanne's hand and said, "That's fine. Happy to help, pleased to meet you, Murphy," she smiled sweetly, stepping forward to shake his hand. She was a cook, it was her job to feed the mortal staff on duty. Jeanne thought she always smelt like baking pastries and tonight was no exception. It didn't alter the taste of her blood, of course, but her scent was cosy and comforting somehow. She hoped drinking from a grandmotherly type might put Murphy at greater ease.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2019, 04:52:15 PM »
Murphy felt a wave of relief as Jeanne agreed to helping him feed. After Andy being his first, it would be nice to end the night on a more… steady footing, a more positive affirmation that he could do this.

He listened carefully to Jeanne’s instructions. Being told to be confident was one thing, but it wasn’t that easy. Fake it til you make it, right? Murphy didn’t resist as Jeanne rearranged him and positioned herself on his lap. She was a beautiful woman – if he was more that way inclined then Murphy knew he would probably have found himself completely distracted from the task in hand.

With Ben and Jake, and the feedings with strangers before then, it had always gone so smoothly. They showed that confidence that came with knowledge – apart from the first time with Ben. Looking back on it that was hilarious, but he knew Ben’s pride and how embarrassing it must have been for him. And Ben’s first feed – that had been Ichabod, hadn’t it? No fear of such confusing relationships coming about with Andy, or whomever Jeanne had summoned. 

Unwilling to get distracted by thoughts of the past, Murphy focused on her gaze. Her closeness was reassuring, steadying. She sounded like she was confident in his abilities as she taught him, so he was absorbing that, trying to make it his own confidence.

As she outstretched her throat to him Murphy’s golden eyes flickered downwards to run over her throat. It should have been appealing, but there was no heatbeat, no flutter of a pulse, so the temptation to close that gap wasn’t there.

He hadn’t been listening for the approach of Clair, but he gave a laugh of surprise as Jeanne pulled him to his feet, not having a chance to miss her weight on him before he was up and waiting facing the door. Whilst Jeanne swept forwards to greet Clair, Murphy hung back, pulling his hands behind his back to avoid allowing his fingers to twist together nervously. Murphy focused on remembering Jeanne’s words. Take charge.

At Clair’s greeting Murphy gave a warm smile and stepped forwarded to take her hand.

“Clair, thank you so much for coming, and so quickly. I hope we haven’t disturbed you too much. I’ll try not to keep you too long,” he said, realising he might be talking too much, but unable to stop for a moment. Her scent had filled the room – bread, pastries, sugar, warmth. Things he’d never taste again. And her blood. He could already hear her heart beating, not with the speed adrenaline had pressed Andy’s into, but with a soothing rhythm. She looked so tidy and put together, it suddenly made Murphy feel even grubbier, aware of the odd speck of blood he hadn’t managed to scrub off earlier which Clair probably wouldn’t even be able to see.

“You’ve done this more times than I have, no doubt,” Murphy said, stepping back towards the bed without releasing Clair’s hand so that she would follow him. He felt wrong just leaping into it, feeling like there should be some talk first.

“Jeanne has been giving me some instruction, but if there is anything you prefer, dislike… I’ll probably have no idea how to do it, but I can try,” Murphy said with a smile, before he glanced towards the bed.

“I was going to sit, then you on my lap, if you’re ready to start?” Murphy asked Clair, still grasping her hand gently. He maybe didn’t sound quite as confident as he would have liked, but he didn’t want to just tug her into position in case she felt rushed.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2019, 01:40:31 AM »
"My pleasure, it's no trouble at all," Clair beamed, obviously pleased by Murphy's opening comments.

Jeanne was also impressed by his gratitude, flowing warmly and genuinely through the timbre of his voice. She hadn't instructed him to be kind but she hadn't needed to; the youngling's instincts were good.

Clair tittered a laugh at Murphy saying she'd done this more times than he had but then she let him talk, nodding agreeably to everything he said. "Your lap is fine - as long as I'm not too heavy, dear," she giggled, then grew serious. "You'll find, if you look closely at my neck here," she tilted her head and pointed at the left side of her throat, "that I've got a mole just above where you should bite, in my jugular. It has helped guide many young vampires," she said sweetly, positioning herself on Murphy's lap and dutifully wrapping her arms about his shoulders to steady herself, head tilted at an angle that would improve his bite access.

Jeanne stepped closer to observe but didn't say anything, relying on Murphy to remember what she'd advised for Andy. It was a test, to see what he could do by himself, under far less pressure. She'd speak only if necessary to correct.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2019, 04:03:47 PM »
Murphy dutifully examined the mole Clair referred to, taking note of it's positioning as Clair arranged herself on his lap.

"A handy map, thanks," he said with a smile, although he could already see the throbbing to show where he needed to bite without that guiding mark. His hand slid around her waist and his other began to move to grip her hair, like he'd done for Andy, like Lazarus had done to him, but stopped himself. This wasn't pressured or rushed like with Andy; Jeanne was there to stop him, guide him if anything went wrong. Instead he cupped her cheek gently, running a his thumb over her soft skin.

He paused there, glancing at Jeanne briefly before realising she wasn't giving orders and it didn't look like she was going to. He gave her a tiny nod before turning his focus back towards the woman in his arms and running through her previous instructions, hoping he wasn't forgetting anything.

Clair was already calm, but Murphy still began to run through a vaguely peaceful song in his mind, projecting into her mind Elton John's Your Song. Sending a sense of calm was much easier when he felt a lot more together (and hadn't been just killed then discovered ripping the throat out of a dog).

Murphy didn't need to move much to close the distance between him and Clair and he ran his lips softly over her throat, kissing lightly.

"Comfy?" he asked, waiting for her confirmation (or shifting their position slightly) before returning his attention to her throat.

Clair, you're going to be fine, we're going to be fine, stay still, he sent mentally, trying to hold her more tightly without actually increasing pressure on her. He didn't want her to move, but didn't want to hurt her either. Murphy found her beat of her pulse and his body screamed at hjim to bite, to bite deeply and to drink his fill. But he made himself pause - what had Jeanne said?

Behind the pulse.

Murphy shifted his position by a few milimeters before pulling back his lips and moving to sink his fangs into her skin, trying to be gentle but then biting a bit more deeply than  intended. He let out a quiet moan as her blood hit his tongue and he drank.