Author Topic: Peter And The Wolves  (Read 13912 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Peter And The Wolves
« on: June 17, 2019, 03:19:34 PM »
This whole ordeal was started by a cat. The cat was no mere Tawny, nor was it a more moderate ocelot. A jaguar, over six feet long and three hundred pounds trounced through the brush two night's prior. The cat had known where to go, following his nose and moving effortlessly through the brush despite his large size. Black spots covered orange fur, but the beast had red eyes, and long, sharp claws. The spirits of nature regarded him as a friend, despite being a dead thing. He made his way to the home of the dark wolves, and told them in beast speech that the Black Prince, Jacob McCloud was asking for an audience. The Jaguar, who's name was Manuel, hoped to gain assurance of safe passage for the prince, and requested that the prince be allowed to come with his sword since he was coming alone.

The conversation between the canines and the feline went on for several minutes. Manuel stated he was only a messenger, and that he didn't know the Prince's intentions. In the end, Manuel agreed that Jake would come unarmed, but that a few security team members would wait on the borders of the woods. With the accommodations arranged, and the visit accepted, the jaguar bowed and darted back into the brush and trees. 

Two night's later, the Black Prince entered the woods alone, and unarmed. He was wearing jeans, heavy boors and a tank top. He didn't think the wolves would hold his clothing against him, and besides weren't they naked? He'd brought them a gift, and carried in under his arm in a brown paper bag. It had been a sacrifice to his personal collection, but alliances had to be built with resources. He waited near a large oak tree, sitting down and reaching for a pack of smokes. As he was about to strike the match, it dawned on him that people who lived in nature wouldn't like cigarettes, and begrudgingly put them away. Without his oral habit, he fidgeted while he waited. 
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
Re: Peter And The Wolves
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 03:57:38 PM »
Keynigh made sure for tonight his pack would stay at the heart of the forest, he would approach Jake alone, curious to the vampire's respectful approach in requesting an audience. Saraekiel's abrupt arrival weeks ago had left Keynigh on edge, it was only a matter of time before others came to claim a gathering and what characters came to their woodland doors remained a mystery. Keynigh did not know much about Jake and decided it was time he heard it straight from the horse's mouth. He had heard rumours of violence and war stained the vampire's hands, Keynigh had known the consequences of unnecessary violence and foolishly running after the drums of war and it cost him dearly. This was no longer a viable path for his pack, they would be wiped out, Akasha had shown him in a vision, among other things he did not understand yet.

Keynigh after a long debate decided to appear in his wolf form, his long flowing glossy royal blue-black fur swished silently from side to side and Jake would notice a set of blue-green eyes; they seemed to be floating from far off. When Keynigh got closer Jake would see the outline of a wolf, larger than your average wolf in the wild, his approach was slow to give Jake a sense of calm. Jake was sitting against a large oak tree and Keynigh followed the animal path to the tree, approaching him too fast might excite Jake and for the wrong reasons. Keynigh sat down on his haunches within ten feet of Jake, reaching out to him using telepathy and greeting him with a warm vibe through the mental message.

"I welcome you to our home. Your messenger conveyed you like to speak with me?"

Jake had kept his word and his men remained outside of the forest, armed and ready, he could sense this and it pleased him that no one was trying to hide in the woodlands; it would not have been met in kind.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 07:27:25 AM »
The prince remained sitting, keeping his expression friendly but indescribable. He cracked his knuckles as the old wolf greeted him, and nodded as he asked if the prince wanted to speak with him. He did indeed. He made no judgments about the pack leader, but hoped that Keynigh would be open to listening to what he had to say. The image of a certain dark angel appeared in his mind, and he wondered how long he should stall before getting to the point of the matter.

"Good Evening and thank you for letting me enter your territory," Jake began, bowing his head formally and treating Keynigh like a true leader. "I respect no other authority in these woods than your own."

It wasn't mere flattery that prompted these words. It was strategy. He didn't recognize Saraekeil's claim on the north, and he'd just let the leader of dark wolves know it.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 01:46:46 PM »
Keynigh tipped his head politely at the vampire's statement, he recognized that Saraekiel was the leader of the North, but that is where Saraekiel's influence ended. Keynigh had bought this land privately long before Saraekiel had taken leadership of the North, his goals for the pack was different than the Dark Angels. He wanted to remain as independent as possible, and had not given Saraekiel an answer whether he would join the North or not; their conversation was bleak at best. Keynigh wanted to wait and give all the districts a chance to talk, first Saraekiel and now this vampire?

"Saraekiel and I have had dealings in the past. He came a few weeks ago and asked to end a war that has gone between our people for a long time," conveying to Jake he knew of Saraekiel and his ways.

"Yet I fear he did not want true peace. I think he overshot and now is trying to prove the North is united," revealing Saraekiel had taken the North before even approaching the Dark Wolves.

"He claims he had no choice and that I have been kept abreast of the situation. He claims vampires have made it abundantly clear, you rule or you bow."

"I hope that is not the case," showing Jake that Keynigh was willing to judge him on his own merit and how Jake presented himself tonight.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 04:15:18 PM »
Jake was all smiles, and many of Keynigh's words led him to believe this would be a productive meeting after all. He opened the brown paper bag and pulled out a large claw. It was almost twelve inches long, and curved like a talon. It was lupine in nature, despite it's more avian appearance, and  bending at the waist, he placed the artifact in front of Keynigh.

"I don't wish to rule you," he assured, letting his serious tone convey that the idea had never crossed his mind. "You don't live in my district and you are not an Anarch. The only bowing between us is as equals who hold different lands. I'm the Stewart to your Hapsburg, to use a turn of phrase."

He gestured to the claw with a flick of his wrist, hoping to draw the wolf's attention to the object. He eyed it warily. "This claw once belonged to a powerful shifter from a time gone by. While I've never investigated the claim, it's rumored to hold magic that benefits shifters only. I present it to you as a gift of good favor."

It had been sitting in Jake's personal collection for quite some time, and while he was sad to see the claw go, he couldn't think of a better new owner for it. He hoped it would buy him good will and ear to whisper in; one that was no lover of Saraekiel.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 10:06:32 AM »
Keynigh's eyes grew wide at the lupine artifact pulled from the brown paper bag, he had heard of ancient artifacts surviving the past, but to actually see one was like a fairy tale. Keynigh could feel a low and energizing hum from the talon, bending his head and carefully sniffed the artifact in front of him. Keynigh knowledge of such artifacts was limited, picking his head back up, looking at Jake with appreciation in his eyes. However, Jake could sense through the mental message had a mixture of confusion and curiosity rolled into one ball.

"I thank you and I'm just as lost as you. I feel a low and energizing hum but nothing more. I have only heard stories of such artifacts surviving certain wars, " his eyes flicking downwards for a mere moment, returning to meet Jake's with his undivided attention.

"You can speak freely Jake, " his mental tone was warm towards the vampire, his left ear-pricking forwards, his right remained in a relaxed position.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 01:37:40 PM »
Jake's tone was commanding despite his youthful face. Jake had gotten used to looking like the lord's son and not the lord himself, but his hard eyes and set mask made him look older than sixteen, although the vampire still looked like a child. He grabbed Keynigh's eyes.

"I have come to discuss the man who claims to be the district leader of the north," Jake said bluntly. "I believe you've met?"

It was phrased as a question, but something about the inflection suggested Jake knew the truth. He didn't think it wise to say more at the moment. Keynigh's initial reaction to the newcomer was important, and Jake didn't wish to spoil it by oversharing too early. He'd considered they might already be allies.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 11:09:36 AM »
"I did meet with him, but I promised him nothing in the end," reassuring Jake that no alliance had been made between the two.

"I allowed him to speak but little reassurance came from the conversation," leery of the type of peace Saraekiel had in mind.

"From the information I gathered after his untimely visit, I found that Zoheret controlled all of the North for the longest time. It was a surprise to hear it is now divided between the two," Dark Angels were not known to divide power and willingly from Keynigh's experience.

Perhaps Jake would have more knowledge than Keynigh on the subject, he had to admit Zoheret left the wolves alone since their reappearance in the city and that arrangement had suited him just fine. Keynigh and his family, for the most part, stayed within the confines of the woodlands and if they did leave they did not cause trouble. Keynigh had made it clear to everyone that the safety and the goal of rebuilding the pack now came first.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 01:28:18 PM »
Jake scoffed loudly. The mere idea that Zoheret ruled all the north was nauseating. Was that a lie the bitch was spreading? He'd need to ask Benny about it. In the meantime he fumed, and it might look as though Keynigh had said something offensive. Jake felt the need to address the odity, and as he did so he worked his tone into something cool and calm.

"Forgive me," he said politely, giving his most elegant smile. "My understanding that was up until recently a shifter named Dominik Lowe ruled in the North. He was the oligarch for werewolves. Those are the people Saraekeil insists he rules. His only other support comes from shifters not of the north like you and yours. The other shifter leaders are gone. Until his power snatch the north was ruled by no one."

Hopefully this set the record straight. He didn't need the Dark Wolves thinking Zoheret's power extended beyond the North West, and perhaps he could paint Saraekeil as illegitimate. He was in Jake's eyes already.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 02:11:41 PM »
Keynigh frowned deeply at Jake having been corrected on his information, Dominik Lowe? The only one he had heard that had a claim to the North was Zoheret and none other. Saraekiel was right about one thing. Keynigh had been kept abreast and it annoyed him slightly, the angel's words had rung half true in the end. Perhaps this Dominik had since disappeared from the city before their arrival? Sharply exhaling from his nose, throwing his head back, showing a display of teeth and clearing his own mind of Saraekiel. That creature could ruffle his fur better than anyone, what else had eluded his grasp?

"I thank you for the correction, it seems I have been away from the cities politics and power struggles for far too long, " Jake could feel the disappointment through the mental message.

"May I ask then what is it you seek with us exactly?" Returning to the conversation at hand, what did Jake want?

It was abundantly clear that Keynigh needed to once again dip his toes into the world of politics, too much had changed and he was missing pieces to certain puzzles. If he was to protect his clan and rebuild an era of peace this had to be done; it did not give Keynigh any pleasure to be involved in such politics. He had to tread lightly, beginning to have a feeling that the city was in worst shape than Keynigh realized, his own failing for not being more proactive outside of the woodlands. That would change starting now.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 08:12:43 AM »
This Keynigh was a to the point person, and Jake liked that. He didn't want to be in the woods longer than he needed to. Nature was not a vampire's domain, except for the animal clan. They were Anarchs, and Manuel had even organized this visit, but Jake still found them strange. The city was a vampire's domain. Humans were their prey. He didn't think less of other species for having their own homes. He was happy the Dark Wolves had private land. He just knew it wasn't for him, like he suspected Keynigh would feel in the middle of the White Rabbit. He stood now, and tried to look taller than he was.

"What I want," he said with a bit too much force, " is for you to consider if Saraekiel or Zoheret are really the best people to lead the north. A dark angel, with no ties to the area, seeks to rule families of shifters who've lived here for generations like your own. What skills does he possess that makes him the best choice to contain and advocate for the werewolves? They've been out of power - well I suppose they've never been in power - but that doesn't mean the first advocate who comes along is the correct one."

He moved to sit alongside Keynigh as opposed to across him, approaching and sitting slowly. "I'm not asking you to directly challenge him for the district. But I'm asking you to find someone who will. Mr. Lowe, another Dark Wolf, or perhaps even a werewolf. Let the north be ruled by someone of the north, and of the people ruled."

Jake kept going. "My reasons for wanting him out are personal. I won't lie to you about my motivations, but that doesn't mean I can't also want what's best for the north."

Now he waited for the elder wolf to reply.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 05:26:31 PM »
Keynigh choose to remain on his haunches at the moment, taking in Jakes speech like a deep drink of water and he had touched base on some valid points about the matter. Who was better to rule the North? For a fleeting moment, Keynigh pondered on the question Jake proposed, between the two right now he would vote for Zoheret. Not a popular opinion.

Keynigh collected and processed the information before him and a soft but slow inhale could be heard. Closing his eyes and holding his breath for a couple of seconds; breathing out at an even pace to calm his mind.

"Zoheret has made no trouble for us, nor has she attempted to enter the woodlands," he started slowly. Suspecting Jake would not like where this conversation was going.

"I cannot speak ill towards Zoheret, even if she is a Dark Angel. For now, she has left us alone and we have done the same. This benefits both parties at the moment," for now he would leave Zoheret be unless things changed.

"What of this Mr. Lowe? What happened to him?" His mental message vibrated with curiosity as his gaze settled on Jake, hoping this inquiry would lighten the young man's mood.

The pack came first and while Saraekiel had come in peace his terms we're sketchy at best, he did not know this Mr.Lowe either but some insight from Jake would be most helpful.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 10:27:18 AM »
Jake could hardly hold his tongue. He wanted to interrupt, to remind Keynigh again that Zoheret had no power over him or his people at all. She never had. The desire to say it was powerful, but he assumed the old wolf would see it as an insult to have him interject. He'd likely see Jake as young, despite the fact that Jake was lifetimes older. Instead, he nodded as he made his excuses for the bird bitch with her fruit baskets.

"Of course," he said, with a smile. "I'm not here to stir up trouble," he lied, but it was a very good lie, and his mental defenses were up. Who could suspect such an innocent looking boy of treachery? Keynigh's questions about Mr. Lowe pleased the vampire. He was interested in what Jake had to say, and so the prince continued his tale.

"He vanished shortly after the collapse of the Oligarchy. My understanding was that his main concern as District Leader was keeping the werewolves safe, and the rest of us safe from them. I met him and found him patient and confident, if not a little quiet."

Dull was the word he'd been thinking, but it didn't seem right to talk badly about someone Jake was advocating for. He wondered what Keynigh would think of all this.   
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 10:06:01 AM »
Keynigh could feel a slight prickling sensation on the edges of his telepathy, almost like static from an old T.V and he did not pry. He was well aware his answer would not please the young man before him. However, Keynigh needed to think about his family, the last of them alive, and he had neither the resources nor the power to take on the leadership of a district.

Mr. Lowe has vanished? The news was disturbing to Keynigh, why had he disappeared? To leave the North open for anyone to take did not sit well with Keynigh, especially with a Saraekiel now head of the throne.

Keynigh's ears pricked forward at the mention of werewolves, Akasha had shown him a dream werewolves joining the pack. Nowhere in the history of the Dark Wolves had they accepted werewolves in the past. Then again they never accepted vampires either, and yet there were several serious discussions about letting Flick join their pack officially.

"Who looks after the werewolves and their well being now?" Curious to what protocol the districts had in place for the werewolves.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 03:15:19 AM »
Jake frowned.

"All of the districts have made accommodations, but we don't see many seeking aid in my district. Most have moved to the north or the east to the best of my knowledge. I know Sara is speaking for the werewolves now, so I assume he is protecting them, although I don't know for sure. Perhaps you could seek them out, and help them if they need."

Jake didn't tell Keynigh he was glad so few wolves came to the White Rabbit for help. The metroplis was crowded, and that made the wolves coming to him dangerous for both people's lives and that they would break the masquerade. Also, vampires and werewolves had little love for one another in other parts of the world, and some old hatreds died hard.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.