Author Topic: Perfect Illusion  (Read 18167 times)

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
Perfect Illusion
« on: June 24, 2019, 02:38:44 PM »
He decided he needed a change of pace and after work that night he made his way to the museum. It had been a couple of weeks since he had this necklace and he had been upset that Sam seemingly had ghosted him. He wasn't surprised but was still hurt by it. He had mostly gotten this necklace because he didn't want to lose Sam, but it came way too late for him to have learned his lesson. Really, he just wanted to stop being upset, he figured he probably should talk to someone about this, but knew Drew wouldn't want to hear it, and the name of the Psychologist that Drew gave him, irked him out a bit still. For now he'd bury these emotions, like he generally did anyways. Part of him wanted to go back to The White Rabbit, find someone to go home with, and just fuck his emotions out like he had in the past, he also wasn't sure if he was even welcomed there anymore. He didn't want to go to the new place just yet again, as their mystery shots, kind of irked him out too. Getting sober that quickly as he did the last time he went wasn't welcomed at the time and didn't want to worry about turning down such a thing.

He walked around the museum, taking in the the amount of art he couldn't actually access. Most of the 3D stuff hidden behind glass, or the mostly flat canvases that lined the walls. Originally he was going to head to the library but couldn't bring himself to do so right now, with the fresh emotional wound that Sam left. He did stop and stare at things for a bit, just to seem normal. He didn't want to weird people out by just quickly wondering through. He sighed, wondering if he had even chosen something that wasn't angel, would it be more worth it in the end.

He kept a mostly neutral face as he looked around. As a kid he didn't mind museums so much. His mom would read and describe the objects for him so he could learn. It's been so long he didn't really remember much of it, or even if things had changed since then. He stared upwards at a particularly large canvas, not sure what was on it, but would seem to be contemplating it to outsiders.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Illusion
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 04:00:56 PM »
Ash had only a week left before classes would start, and she was scrambling now to tick off the remaining feats on her pre-term bucket list. After a full day of touristy endeavors, she was exhausted; but she’d saved the best of today’s itinerary for last, and found herself loathe to retire before she’d (at the very least) seen the museum’s seventh floor. Keeping her feet from shuffling proved strenuous, but she still found it within her to admire the surrounding works. She came to a stop before a large canvas, where a man stood in contemplative regard. Unconsciously, she echoed his sigh; canting her head a degree as she, too, considered the piece. After a moment of shared silence, she queried, “What do you make of this?”

There was no harm in striking up a conversation with a stranger, was there? He was alone, too; and she was beginning to feel like she’d fall asleep where she stood if she didn’t at least talk to someone.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 04:29:29 PM »
He had nearly jumped upon hearing the girl's voice as he wasn't quite expecting company, however, part of him welcomed the company. Time away from his own thoughts sounded not so terrible. He looked towards her as she had finished the question he couldn't answer. He almost chuckled but stopped himself.

"Well, I make of it to be a large rectangle," He answered truthfully, "I'm actually blind. I had some books to drop off at the library and put it into the drop off slot, however, I decided to come here after. Didn't quite realize how inaccessible such a place was to someone like myself, and it felt wrong to just leave or quickly go through it by the time I realized." Something would have seemed off about his blindness, he didn't have a walking cane and seemed like he was keeping eye contact. His deep blue with silver swirled eyes had quite a gaze, despite keeping eye contact it was more as if he was looking through her in a sense.

"What is it a painting of? What do you see? What do you make of it?" He asked, actually pretty curious about what it was. He wondered if she would tell the truth or lie. Not like he would be able to tell anyway, but it was a stranger who he ran into, and pranks have been played on him in the past over such things.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 11:47:03 AM »
Aislin tore her gaze away from the painting to regard the man with a look of incredulity, believing his initial comment to be facetious. Her expression grew mortified, however, as he professed his blindness - and she was so caught up on it that she missed his continued explanation.

“Oh, god!” She gushed, bumbling on in a rush of words thereafter. “I’m so sorry! It really seemed like you were giving it such thought; and you were really very convincing; and you have no cane, or guide dog, or anything like that,” and how are you maintaining eye contact?! She had wanted to add, noting the intensity of his unseeing focus. An embarrassed flush bloomed across her cheeks, and she suddenly (and very selfishly) found herself grateful that he couldn’t see it.

With a clearing of her throat, she turned her attention back to the canvas - describing, to the best of her ability, what had been painted thereupon. She spoke slowly, as though sounding out the details in her mind before giving voice to them. “There are two winged beings, intertwined; a man and a woman; a demon and an angel. The only colors are in shades of red and white; a touch of black for shadowing. Their pose is intimate; not one of hostility, but of mutual reverence. Her hand is placed over his chest - alabaster over crimson - and his grips the crook of her knee. Their legs are tangled up, and the way his tail spirals around them, along with the profiled positioning of their wings, reminds me of The Caduceus.

“The Staff of Hermes,” she explained, glancing briefly toward him before continuing on. “I don’t know if you’re familiar with it, but it’s often used as a medical symbol. It’s a winged staff, with two snakes twisted around it. This feels like a celestial mirroring of that. I wonder if that was intentional. Like, maybe the red and the white is symbolic of more than just good and evil. Maybe the medicinal similarities are intentional, and the color scheme is representative of blood cells, too.”

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 01:31:26 PM »
"Oh please, no reason to apologize for that," he smiled warmly as he spoke in an equally inviting tone, "I was doing that on purpose actually, I didn't want people to see my foolish mistake on coming in here, if anything I'm a little embarrassed about the whole ordeal." He furrowed his eyebrows with a smile. "I'm glad I really don't need a walking cane anymore. I'm able to see the outline of 3D things. Can't see through glass however. Most of this place is either boxes of glass or giant rectangles." Her then mentioned kind of explaining his abilities a tiny bit.

He listened to her description of it and the more he listened the more he became interested in the piece. It sounded amusing and interesting as the description she gave to him, gave him thoughts that were nothing like the painting at all.

"Oh the caduceus, I've been told what that looks like before and I've once had a chance to feel a sculpture of it. I always felt it was pretty celestial given the wings it has on top, unless you mean planets? Then I'm even more confused because the caduceus inspired the symbol for Mercury and it makes me what other planets they would use in contrast to Mercury." He loved mythology and the amount of thought the put into her description was probably too much. "Again unless it's celestial snakes? But really the only people who get represented as snakes are seen as bad in modern culture, probably part in due Lucifer taking a form of a snake to get Eve to eat that apple. Hearing of a good snake isn't so common. Also white and red to mark good an evil? I've been told that the popular colors are white and black for that, and the popular colors for blood being red and blue. I guess white blood cells are a thing though." He seemed to think for a moment before speaking again.

"It sounds interesting to me, makes me wish I could see it, it sounds unusual." He mentioned, "I adore art, and it makes me kind of sad that I'm limited to either 3D objects or music, however given that, I'm definitely more of a music man than anything. Oh by the way, I'm Dreki. What's your name?" He almost held out his scarred left hand to shake hands but changed it to his right hand.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 06:50:31 AM »
“Can you see color?” Ash queried, upon absorbing the summarization of his vision; or, rather, lack thereof. She hadn’t known a person could be blind in that way, but she felt that she should have. As he continued on, she chewed on her lower lip - thoughtfully considering his take, even as it veered way off course. “I’ve always seen red as somewhat of a menacing shade - it’s the color of gore, after all - but I took the good versus evil thing more from the imagery than the color scheme. I mean, I probably didn’t do it any real justice with my description.

“I have no idea whether or not the parallel between this and The Caduceus was intentional; it just reminds me of that. There are no snakes in the painting. Nothing planetary that I can see. Your first assumption of my use of the word ‘celestial’ was the right one.” With a shrug, she added, “I always thought of the wings as more birdlike than angelic, but I suppose it could go either way.”

She smiled, then - turning toward Dreki as he introduced himself. “Ash,” she provided in response, slipping her hand into his larger one and clasping it gently. “I love the arts, too. I could be your eyes for the evening, if you’d like?” Her brows rose fractionally with the offer, then suddenly knit. Was it rude to volunteer herself in that way? Would he perceive it as an act of charity and take offense? … Or, worse, would he think she were lording her vision over him in some sick, gloating display?

Pressing her lips together, Ash opted to await his response; to gauge his reaction before jumping to any unwarranted conclusions.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 07:59:39 AM »
"Not really, I guess I can see two colors but have no idea what they are. They contrast eachother well, one being the outlines I see and the other just being the background color. Beyond the basic understanding that some colors are tied with certain things, I have otherwise no concept of colors. Same goes for brightness and darkness, I can pretty much 'see' the same with or without lights" He explain in the easiest way for him to do so possible. He knew that the way he could see was kind of confusing to those who didn't really experience it for themselves. He listened to her explanation on how red could be seen as gore and added that to what he now knew about colors.

"That makes sense, I've never really touched a bird before and am more a mythology buff. When I hear wings, my first thought is not of birds, but birds do make sense." When she mentioned the Caduceus and her thoughts on it being bird wings, he could see why. However he had never touched a bird before and given his past, he always went to the whole angel aspect, but managed to play that up as one of his hobbies more than anything.

"Nice to meet you Ash, I'd be more than happy to have a guide." His handshake was firm but gentle. His expression was warm and happy. He was pretty excited to hear about and even discuss some of the art inside the museum with someone else, even if they were a relative stranger. "Show me some of your favorite pieces, or even, things that interest you. I apologise in advance if my questions seem funny, it's just me trying to get a better understanding of whatever you describe."

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 09:30:20 AM »
Aislin’s relief was palpable, and she released it; carrying it out upon a heavy sigh. Reclaiming her hand, she allowed her smile to color her tone as she replied, “I don’t know how to describe things without using color. So, you’ll have to forgive me in advance, too, if my verbal portrayals aren’t all that clear. Ask as many questions as you need.”

A thoughtful little hum emanated from within her throat as she spun to examine the gallery; giving thought to where she’d guide him. After a moment, she warned, “I’m going to touch you,” before carefully placing her hand within the crook of his elbow. With the variance in their heights, it was the least complicated method of ushering him forth; while avoiding the inapt intimacy that hand-holding would entail.

“There’s one this way that I liked,” she explained as she started toward another painting; slowly, so as to accommodate him. Belatedly, she added, “It’s nice to meet you, too, Dreki.”

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 10:49:16 AM »
"Using color is fine, again I know some things are supposed to be certain colors, so if something is red I might associate it with roses or blood, something being green could be fresh cut grass or vomit. I can infer from there." He mentioned trying to let her know that he can associate certain things with colors, even if he had no other way of knowing. When she announced that she was going to touch him, he had no idea what to expect at first, but when she put herself on his arm he relaxed a little. He had followed her lead, walking along side her. He figured in this case it was appropriate to be lead around given how he asked her to show him her favorite pieces.

"Also, it might be better to ask if you can guide someone for next time," he casually mentioned, "people might get the wrong idea of overhearing someone exclaim that they are going to touch another." His tone was light hearted, trying to make it out to be no big deal, "to be honest I had no idea what to expect when you said that." He kept to the same pace as her as they walked on through the museum. It felt slow to him, but he didn't mind them taking their time. While they walked between pieces, he wondered if he should try to get to know her better, maybe become friends or something.

"What do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking" he started out with, it was a simple enough question that most could answer no issue, plus if she did have an issue she could just tell him she minded him asking. They were walking slowly enough that he figured there would be time for answers between her describing art to him.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 07:54:01 AM »
Aislin flushed with renewed embarrassment as she was reproved, despite Dreki’s gentleness in doing so. Shit. Way fucking to go, Ash, you dunce. Her fingertips flexed against his arm as she considered pulling away, then decided it better to ask. As she spoke next, she looked toward him; unconcealed contrition presented in both expression and tone, in spite of his inability to see the former. “Gosh, I’m really sorry. I knew I should warn you, but you’re right - I should have been clearer, and asked your permission first. I’ll be more careful in the future.” After a pause, she added her uncertain query of, “Would you prefer that I let go?”

When inquired about her life, she relaxed a degree; offering up a tentative smile (out of habit) as she replied. “I’m shamefully unemployed. I’ll be starting classes at the arts institute next week, and will probably start looking for part-time work once I’m more familiar with the change in schedule... What about you?”

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 04:51:32 PM »
"Oh I don't mind being guided. I don't need it per say as I can see 3D objects, but, you're the one showing me around the museum so it makes sense. No need to apologize for trying to help." He smiled, and found her embarrassment over it all mildly amusing and endearing. He seemed rather unbothered by the whole situation as he walked with her letting her guide him still.

"Oh I'm a teacher. Not at the art institute, but at the highschool in the central district I teach German and music, at the Kerr-Galvin academy I teach Mythology, and about once a week I teach an English class for those who wish to learn it as a language." He mentioned, realizing how ridiculous that sounded. He had 3 jobs and got paid decently at all 3 of them, he could live off of one of them without issue. "I realize that's a lot, but I don't do it all for the money, I would work one and live fine off of it, I just like keeping busy, helping others, and I enjoy music, language, and mythology so I enjoy all the jobs I have."

"What kind of art do you like to do?" He then asked, assuming she was going to school for something she enjoyed doing anyway.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 06:00:04 AM »
“Whoa,” came Ash’s eloquent response, exhaled upon an astonished breath. She found herself regarding him anew; taking full advantage of the belief that she couldn’t be caught. He looked to be her age, with an almost feminine softness to his features. Pale and smooth and bestowed with just a hint of pink. Haloed in gilded strands, and spying his murky surroundings with eyes of powder blue; eyes that were unfairly presented more for the admiration of others, rather than for their ability to behold in their own sense of admiration.

Dawned by the awareness that she’d stared in silence for too long, Aislin felt a sudden wash of shame. “You’re the whole package,” she provided in belated continuation, turning to face forward once more. She was glad that they’d been walking so slowly, lest she’d tripped in the midst of her trance. How embarrassing that would have been.

“I draw; mostly digital works, but occasionally I’ll take pen or brush to paper. I like to draw stories. Comics,” she explained, lifting another useless smile. With a gentle tightening of her hand against his arm, she came to a careful stop before the painting she’d chosen to revisit; offering up an announcement of, “We’re here.”

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 11:48:00 PM »
He was a little surprised at Ash's reaction, he didn't really see what he did that deserved a wow, but he was used to it as his weekly life. He was mildly concerned about the pause and when he went to look at her is when he heard her call him a 'whole package'. He blushed and quickly looked away, he never had quite a compliment before. He almost wasn't sure what to make of it at first.

"Oh, uh, thanks." He nervously spoke looking ahead letting her still guide him. He ended up thinking of Sam for a moment yet again. If he was a whole package, why didn't Sam think as such? But then he realized it was mostly because Ash didn't know. His whole truth made him lesser than what he appeared to others. Ash seemed nice, but he was worried that if he did somehow become close to this nice semi-stranger, would she too run away? He had unknowingly tensed a bit when thinking about this all but snapped out of it when he heard her speak about making comics, and before he could really ask her about them, she had announced their arrival.

"Oh nice," he said, relaxing a bit "so what is the painting of? What makes you like it so much?" He was interested in what it was and what she had to say about it. He decided to focus on her voice and discuss the painting with her more than his own thoughts about having lost someone he felt close to. He needed such a break and welcomed it as such.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 11:21:29 AM »
“Well,” she began, angling her head once more in regard of the piece. “It’s a cityscape in grayscale; bleak and flooded. There’s a little girl wearing a yellow raincoat and boots, crouched and playing with a puppy in the water. There’s a forgotten umbrella off to one side in red. I like the combination of gloom and whimsy. The texture of it, too; it’s rough and raised. It looks like a palette knife was used, instead of a paint brush.”

Ash pressed her lips together in time with the issuance of a soft and contemplative hum. After a pause, she added, “It sort of ... begs to be touched. I wish you could.” She wished she could.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 01:51:19 AM »
He closed his eyes as he listened to her description trying to imagine the image in his head. It for sure sounded interesting to imagine that, knowing the girl and the dog were highlights of the piece given how she described them more over the background. When she mentioned that it looked the be begging to be touched, he opened his eyes again. A thought crossed his mind, he opened his eyes and looked around. Too many people, he didn't want to potentially get her banned for his own ideas.

"If less people, and no risk of you getting banned, I would have attempted and brought your hand along for the ride as well." He mentioned, "also I can see some of the bumps and ridges, but cannot tell what they are beyond that." He was looking carefully at the painting, almost squinting. It wasn't fully clear to him unless he concentrated on it all.

"Given your description it almost feels like it's saying, even in gloomy times, you can find a spot of happiness." He smiled warmly, his eyes almost looked sad however. He needed to hear something like that, even if from himself. He was in a spot of gloom himself, and hoped this night with Ash, was his playing with the dog moment.

"Do you have any pets? Or did you growing up?" He asked a slightly more topical question about her life, he was curious and wanted to get to know her a bit better.