Author Topic: Greener Grass  (Read 7121 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Greener Grass
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 09:44:05 PM »
Because Ben had fed when Murphy came over, there was enough blood in him to lightly tinge his cheeks. A sense of surreality stole over him as he thought of his two lives coming together; Ben-with-a-dead-sire and Ben-with-Kerr. He knew that if the four of them got together he would be weird and awkward throughout the whole thing. He'd thought employing Vincent might be peculiar enough but thankfully it hadn't interfered with his admiration for him.

He lowered his gaze but there would be no confession. "What did you talk about?" he asked, unable to sound casual about it.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 09:51:21 PM »
Kerr gave him a disbelieving look. "You. Why didn't you tell me you were going to go to ground?" he asked gently, his tone vibrating with the depth of emotion the news had roused in him when he'd heard it. He wanted to reach out and hold Ben close, to reassure himself that Ben was still here but he knew that would be resisted. Ben wouldn't like being touched just now.

He was already risking a lot, drilling into Ben like this. These wounds were old, though, and hopefully negated by Kerr's re-entrance in his life. Kerr could only hope that made them easier to acknowledge and for Ben to lower his walls... otherwise this conversation could be as invasive as Lazarus' attack. That was the last thing Kerr wanted.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 09:58:43 PM »
Ben's eyes widened when he heard they'd discussed when he and Vincent had met. Of course he shouldn't have been surprised, it would've been a natural enough question, nothing asked with suspicion. He could imagine how that conversation had gone but thought he better not try.

"At the time I didn't realise that was what I was doing," Ben said, wrapping his arms around himself and pressing his lips together in thought for a moment, remembering. "I wouldn't have chosen to bury myself in Pisky Memorial Park," he looked at Kerr and managed a tiny smile, apologetic that he hadn't shared that information but also not knowing how he was supposed to bring something like that up.

In a telling about how he'd met Vincent, obviously.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 10:05:10 PM »
"Oh, love," Kerr sighed sympathetically, his heart clenching at the thought of leaving Ben so wounded he wasn't even aware of what he'd been doing. Pisky Memorial Park? Jesus. "So Vincent rescued you, in a sense?" he prompted, wanting to know everything.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 10:18:33 PM »
"It just... it felt like..." Ben struggled to remember and also to put it in words. "Instinct. The earth wasn't calling me or anything, I just had this weird idea that I could wrap myself up and it and it would take care of me, that I could just sleep for a bit." He shrugged. "Anyway, he found me in the grave, told me I was too young, that it wouldn't help, he'd done it too when his sire died and pulled me out. He gave me his phone number."

Ben shrugged, not knowing why he kept that secret.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2019, 10:25:55 PM »
"He has a thing for phone numbers," Kerr agreed, frowning thoughtfully as he nodded. "But there's more to you and Vincent, isn't there? More you haven't told me. Owen referred to it as 'the Ben thing' that wasn't the reason he and Vincent separated for a while," he explained, hoping he sounded knowledgeable enough to prompt Ben into baring his nugget of secrecy (but not so well informed that he didn't need to know more!).

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 10:29:59 PM »
The Ben thing?

He wasn't aware that he'd inspired a 'thing' between Owen and Vincent, but of course he had. Owen had hit and shoved him to the ground over it before he realised Ben had felt bad already. The fact Kerr knew that something had happened between him and Vincent had him averting his gaze again.

Coffee table. Aquarium. Floor. Coffee Table.

"They were separated," he said in his defense.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 10:46:19 PM »
Kerr chuckled his exasperation, shaking his head as he watched Ben squirm. "Jesus, just tell me! I know you'd didn't have sex with him - Vincent was very offended and, boy, did I have to scramble hard to make a better impression when I accused him of that! - so I--"

In the middle of his generally-amused speech of encouragement, Kerr stopped, his mouth open as a completely stunning thought came to him. Pain swiftly followed, thumping him somewhere around his solar plexus and making it very uncomfortable to sit there frozen, but it was too difficult to continue speaking just yet. He suddenly regretted everything and wanted to crawl into his bed and lift the covers over his head, pretending the sadness away.

This wasn't about sex, Ben was being too furtive for something that banal. This was deeper, more personal. Stronger. This was far more troubling. Kerr's eyebrows twitched first, his forehead dancing in furrows as he contemplated airing something far more daunting than he'd anticipated. He licked his lips, feeling them numb as he forced his next words out, his voice choked with fear.

"Are you in love with him?"

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2019, 10:57:12 PM »
Ben heard the stop in conversation, turned his head and watched Kerr furtively and then directly when the rest of the sentence still didn't come. The expression upon Kerr's face made Ben feel extremely guilty because Kerr had landed on something much worse -

but he knows it wasn't sex so what

Love. The word hit Ben with a force he hadn't expected either. He loved Vincent. Yes. But he wasn't in love with Vincent, and Kerr should know that immediately.

"No. No," he said quietly but firmly, turning and keeping eye contact with his true love, his sire. He needed Kerr to believe him. Even while shaking his head he had to admit the truth, get it out.

No more secrets.

That had been a promise from him at one point.

"I could, if I spent more time with him, or think about him, or focus on him. He shares a lot of your traits, your characteristics, but he has the patience of... a God." Ben lowered his eyes. "I don't want to cut ties with him but... I need to keep him... separate."

He licked his lips. "The thing that happened, I kissed him. After I did that he told me that I self-sabotage. And it..." His lower lip wobbled and he found himself unable to continue his confession.

It had fucking hurt. And it had frightened him.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2019, 06:19:24 AM »
Kerr had had challengers for Ben's attention (Lazarus), his obsession (Themba, Jake), his reverence (Charon) and the place in his bed before - hell, he'd even taken a few of those himself, when they were broken up - but he'd never had a legitimate challenger for Ben's heart, that he knew of. It scared him, rattling every bit of insecurity left behind after every argument they'd ever had. He'd known many facets of love himself in his four hundred-plus years of existence, so he was well aware of how such an emotion would evolve and transform as time wove its magic.

He hadn't expected to face this potential obstacle to Ben's love for many decades yet, especially since they'd only just got their shit together properly after all these years. He'd been confident that he was the only one that could possibly hold Ben's heart for a good long while. Except now there was the potential of Vincent. It was a blow, though Kerr believed Ben when he said he wasn't in love with the unassuming vampire. Not yet, anyway, because he was keeping himself distanced enough to avoid it for the time being.

And here Kerr was, requesting they walk straight into the man's presence and have a polite couple dinner with him and his husband? What the fuck was he thinking??

It was difficult to concentrate on what Ben was saying while his confidence was completely eaten out from under him but Kerr knew it was vitally important that he did. He needed defences against this and information was key. Hearing that Ben kissed Vincent and was then told he was prone to self-sabotage was another snippet of demoralisation he didn't enjoy swallowing but he tried to keep it in perspective. Ben did undermine himself all the time (hello, New York), usually because he couldn't stop overthinking everything. The fact that Vincent knew his love well enough to understand how he could be his own worst enemy was as reassuring as it was unsettling. Still, it showed that Vincent had Ben's best interests at heart, even when Ben couldn't. Much like Kerr did.

He was suddenly very thankful he'd had the opportunity to meet Vincent and see him with his husband before he found all this out. He and Owen were very obviously devoted to each other and Kerr doubted very much that it would matter how Ben felt for him, to Vincent. He only had eyes for one man and it wasn't Kerr's man. Small mercies abound.

Kerr's borderline nasty thoughts disapparated as Ben faltered, his beautiful lip trembling in a display of emotion that had Kerr sliding immediately over to him and wrapping his arms about Ben, hoping to hold him close. "It's okay," he crooned gently, pressing kisses to Ben's face. "It obviously didn't impact your relationship. He still has a great deal of respect for you, I could hear it in the way he spoke about you tonight," Kerr assured, too ashamed to repeat that Vincent had reprimanded him when he'd inadvertently cast aspersions on Ben by accusing Vincent of having sex with him.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2019, 09:27:47 AM »
"I'm sorry," Ben whispered in Kerr's hold, automatically embracing him back. It was the perfect time to wrap arms around him and he was grateful for Kerr's understanding and timing. "I regret kissing him. I knew he was taken and it didn't stop me. I didn't even think about Owen. I was only thinking about myself and that I... I was still aching for you and he was... the closest... until Charon."

Ben didn't know why he'd said it that way but it made so much more sense now. He'd shifted focus from Vincent to Charon, edging closer and closer to making a substitute for Kerr as possible. Should Kerr feel good about that or horrified? What would've been next? A sex-doll in Kerr's image? If Charon had said no, probably that.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2019, 01:40:11 PM »
Kerr was flattered but also ashamed when he realised his part in Ben’s adoration for Vincent and then Charon. Between the fallout of his absence in the portal and Ben’s suffering at Lazarus’ expense, it was a miracle they were as normal together as they were. It was a testament to their love, which was reassuring in every way possible.

“I understand,” he murmured, kissing Ben’s forehead. It felt good to hold him and Kerr’s soul sighed. “You don’t have to be sorry but you do have to let me know if you think it would be too much to go on a date with them this week. Or next. I mean, I suppose we could aim to split them up - you can take Vincent and I’ll nab Owen,” he chuckled, “but I think it won’t even be that easy. It’ll be a lot of conversation. Can you handle that?”

He supposed it wasn’t a very good joke (especially since it was partially prompted by his actual attraction to Owen - though he suspected that was largely due to his undersexed condition while living with an even better looking blond that inspired continuous lust in him) but it was all he could come up with at the moment. Ben had had enough trauma tonight, with Murphy’s turning and now him drilling into him for his secrets. The mood definitely needed lightening.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2019, 02:22:46 PM »
Kerr's joke didn't fall flat so much as touching on something Ben had been considering. The thing was, they'd had discussions about this before, for different reasons. The look on Ben's face wasn't one of alarm or shame, but thoughtful. There was wariness in it, too.

"We can try dining with them once. If it's awkward, then we won't do it again." There was more he wanted to say but it meant bringing up the past. After confessing Vincent's magnetism to Kerr and being joked with about Kerr pairing up with Owen, he plunged ahead.

"This... there is something I've been thinking about a little over a week now. I've... I've made the offer before, that you can indulge with someone else. You told me to retract my offer when we were in Austria, but... but now I feel like it would take the pressure off me. I mean, I don't feel pressured ," he said quickly, "but I know that once we finally connected we became really sexual... and now I... I pull away from you. Every time." He shook his head, the words not coming out as smoothly as he would like. He lifted his gaze to Kerr and looked at him steadily. "Maybe if you want something physical you could use one of the donors? Or Ichabod, so the sex can have an emotional connection if that's what you're actually missing?"

It wasn't like Kerr and Ichabod hadn't ever slept together before, but if Kerr went to the latter, there would be feelings involved. He figured if Kerr went that way he would discuss it with Ichabod. As he'd told Dr James Barrow, Ben was willing to try anything - except there was no way he was going back to the Malkavian for therapy.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2019, 04:06:51 PM »
Kerr felt like he'd been punched in the gut and it was his turn to shift uncomfortably and pull away so he could better see Ben's face. He was frowning, trying to sort through all this information and feeling a little overwhelmed. And ashamed. He was suddenly mortified that he'd even joked about it, feeling like it was his fault this had come up, that he was somehow a sex fiend or something, pushing Ben into making this offer.

It took him a minute to tamp down the panic enough to think rationally. Ben had said it himself; he wanted Kerr to sleep with someone else because it would take the pressure off. He thought back to the crazed and near-incoherent condition he'd returned to him in last week, after Ben's session with an insane Malkavian at the Academy. The madness had taken about forty-eight hours to work its way out of Ben's system and then Ben's emotions had plummeted even deeper, when he realised that he'd gained little from the session and his sacrifice. When they'd kissed, Ben had pulled away even more quickly than previously and any progress they'd made had rolled backwards.

Maybe this was the next best step. It felt wrong in every way, but if Ben saw it as something that would help him, how could he refuse? "You're sure that would make you feel better?" he asked worriedly, needing to fight it one last time. "I'm not missing an emotional connection - I love you and I know you love me - and I don't crave a physical one with anyone but you. It's not something I want just for the sake of it, which is why I can wait... " he trailed off defeatedly, watching Ben's face. It seemed an impossible situation but if Ben insisted that it would help then he'd have to stop fighting it. Arguing would only make things worse.

Kerr sighed heavily. "What do you prefer? Meaningless mortals or other kindred?" he asked quietly. "Do you want to know about it or should I... Gods, this feels wrong... should I keep it to myself?" He tried not to show Ben how much this hurt to talk about but the shame was clear. It felt deceitful, even though they were having an open discussion about it.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2019, 04:22:55 PM »
Ben could see that Kerr was uncomfortable with the conversation. His faltering way of making his offer again had likely not leant any steps towards confidence. He felt odd when talking about it with Kerr, somehow feeling a prickly sensation. His imagination ghosted the sensation of sex and he looked away for a moment as memory tinged it with Lazarus. The association was too strong to overcome for now. He didn't want to make love with Kerr and be reminded of that other time - the few times they'd tried with him in the dominant position he'd had trouble getting erect. He wished Lazarus had made it hurt, like Themba had made it hurt, because then he could shove the rape into that same compartmentalisation of "vampires who'd taken advantage of me" but Lazarus had taken the trouble of preparing Ben's body to accept him and so even though there'd been no consent, there'd been physical pleasure and it was this that Ben was struggling to reconcile.

He licked his lips and leant backwards. "Maybe we should invite someone else into bed with us? Make it a really different experience for me. If I end up not... being able... I would at least be sharing with your experience."

There were pros and cons to using the donors for that. He wasn't really attracted to any of them but they'd signed an NDR not to discuss their affairs while on the payroll.