Author Topic: A Fangtastic Foursome  (Read 11290 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: A Fangtastic Foursome
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 05:34:59 PM »
"I know!" Kerr agreed, giggling at his love. Ben's smiles went a long way towards soothing Kerr's rampant emotions. The fact that Ben seemed less stiff and had tried his meal filled him with such relief that he immediately felt lighter. The feeling would most certainly travel through their blood bond, too. He smiled genuinely as he withdrew his dish from Ben's part of the table and turned back to face Vincent.

"Wise choice," he commended. "Then I don't look like an ass for not sharing," he winked.

"I'll have one, too!" Owen chimed in eagerly. The dessert looked weird but it didn't thrill him as much as the thought of having more blood did. Who cared if it came in little bubbles, fancy glasses or gushing rivers (he wished)? Just so long as it went in his belly. He was suddenly a big fan of going out for dinner, the indulgence of the blood all around him had his senses singing and his thirst in overdrive. His dilated pupils indicated just how excited he was.

Kerr looked more closely at the youngling, noting the effect the blood was having on him. As grateful as he was for Ben moving beyond such susceptibilities, Kerr also partly missed his dependence on him, as his sire, for finding him regular sustenance. It had been nice, being the most important man in his life, playing such a pivotal role... startled out of his surprising longing for another childe (which he didn't want, really - the thought of having to care for Murphy had appalled him, he reminded himself), he addressed a related query to Vincent.

"How often do you need to drink?" he asked curiously. "Was your sire ancient?"

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2019, 06:00:51 PM »
Vincent paused in the lift of his glass for another drink and lowered it. "I can comfortably last a little over a week if I'm not pressed, but I find that training heavily with Owen will bring that time closer. I tend to drink a little every few days, so I'm not taking much from my donors and I don't feel too much of..." he glanced at Owen, having felt the intensity in his bond, "...that." He gave Owen a cheeky wink, quite liking the peculiarly primal look in his young husband's eyes. "It's a shame Echelon only caters to our kind on specific nights and that their prices are so extortionate. I don't imagine many of our modern counterparts without an aged sire could afford this place without some decades of investment at least."

Of course talking about aged sires led perfectly into Kerr's second question. "My sire, she wasn't yet fifty when we met, but alone. She never spoke of her sire but I got the impression of... someone both aged and disturbed. I cannot tell you her story as she never shared it with me in all our time together. I lost her halfway through the nineteenth century," he divulged, admitting that he had been with her over four hundred years. The loss was still tangible and it could be heard in his voice and twanging along his bloodline to Owen.

Ben sipped his drink, fascinated by Vincent's tale but also horrified when he did the math. How was Owen supposed to live up to that kind of love? No wonder Vincent had moulded his own companion. Anything less wouldn't have met standard.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 02:59:34 AM »
Kerr laughed at Vincent's reference to Owen's worked up state as 'that', appreciating his comedic timing. He was distracted from comments about Echelon's highway robbery by thinking about his own establishment and what he hoped to accomplish with it... one day soon, hopefully. Perhaps Vincent would be interested in hearing about the Overlook? He pushed the thought aside for later consideration as Vincent discussed his four hundred years with his sire. Fifty was respectable but it would have afforded Vincent no additional assistance like Lazarus had bequeathed Murphy.

Like Angus had given him, once upon a time.

"I'm sorry to hear that. And impressed you two lasted as long as you did - I was with my one of my sires and our fledgelings almost four hundred years but they weren't pleasant," he intoned dryly, rolling his eyes for emphasis. "I was devastated when they were killed, don't get me wrong, but our time together was... tumultuous, at best. Pure Hell at worst. It's good you have better memories, though so odd she wouldn't share her past with you. That must've stung," he sympathised.

All of the warm and tingly feelings Owen was getting from being around so much blood and having Vincent wink at him was dampened by Kerr bringing Lorica up. He sipped his blood and smiled at Vincent, trying not to get uptight and also decipher what Kerr was talking about. One of his sires... he had more than one?? And how many fledgelings did Ben make? He knew there was a guy named Ichabod, too. How did he fit into all this?

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2019, 09:43:35 AM »
"Mmn," Vincent said, making a disagreeable noise to Kerr's suggestion that Lorica's secrecy had hurt. "I grew to share her opinion that looking forward is more useful than looking back. Don't get me wrong, I did pick up small clues here and there about him because of remarks she might make, but it was painful for her so I never pressed. I learnt he was destroyed before I was made and that was enough for me."

Vincent heard the 'one of my sires' comment as well, but true to form he didn't question Kerr about it for he'd only just been told that Kerr had experienced emotional pain over them as well. Because he didn't know the extent of Kerr's emotions on the matter, it was better to leave it alone. If Kerr volunteered or if he learnt that Kerr no longer had strong feelings either way, he would bring it up. He turned to Ben, wanting to get the topic away from death and destruction.

"I haven't really said this yet, but I commend you on your foresight to include classes for fledgelings without sires at the Academy. I know that Kerr and I both share a class with my theory and his practical, and while it seems a small class with only twenty-three of them, it also seems far too many fledglings to be on their own. I'm so pleased they have somewhere to learn, or stay if you have them in dorms."

"Some of them are in the dorms," Ben said, nodding. A lot of them hadn't wanted to give up their apartments or houses, which made no sense to him. It made him think of Murphy, living and training with the Sacramentum but talking about going back to his home in Chinatown. "Not all fledglings without sires are training at the Academy either," he said sourly.

"Oh?" Vincent prompted, wondering what information Ben had. Why would fledglings not use the Academy when it was free for them for the first five years of their vampiric existence?

Ben shook his head, not wanting to talk about Murphy, and took a large gulp of his drink. It was still very warm but not as hot as before. He was three-quarters of the way through it. Vincent had barely drunk a quarter of his.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 04:27:33 PM »
Kerr nodded along as Vincent complimented Ben's foresight, proud of his fledgeling for the choices he'd made regarding the Academy. The fact that his disappearance had inspired the idea was nothing when compared to Ben's ability to turn his personal tragedy into pure hope and education for twenty-three sire-less vampires. And Murphy. He was intrigued by Ben's unwillingness to elaborate on Murphy's circumstances, even though Vincent obviously wondered what he was alluding to; it piqued Kerr's curiosity.

Was his silence regarding Murphy because he'd never talked about his friend with Vincent before or because of the bitterness he felt over Murphy's siring and consequent training by the Sacramentum? Would Vincent not approve of Ben's strong emotions on the subject and that's why he was avoiding it? Perhaps Vincent didn't know how Ben could fall prey to his own insecurities and passions... or, rather, Ben didn't think he knew, so he politely refused to expand on the topic. Kerr bet Vincent understood far more than Ben gave him credit for (mostly because it suited Ben's view of their relationship to see it that way, he supposed).

Personally, he'd have been very interested to hear Vincent's take on the Murphy situation... but there was no way he was going to discuss it when Ben avoided it. He'd be left to walk home if he did that. Plus, there was a secret part of him that exulted in the knowledge that Vincent only got to see the nicer sides of Ben's personality. It meant that only he was privy to the whole of Ben and he was both enamoured and humbled by that privilege.

Owen was very pleased the topic shifted from dead sires to work. Vincent's history was long and filled with numerous instances of love - lost or otherwise - and although he'd made his peace with it, it didn't stop him feeling bitter, jealous, inadequate or angry if he thought on it too long. Mostly, it just brought back his ire over being a designed puppet from the start of his own life and it wasn't pleasant to think about. Work, however? That was a topic he could get behind (especially since he'd finished his meal rather quickly and had begun eyeing Vincent's largely-untouched one hopefully).

"They're so cute, the way they all hurry out of the dorm when they finally rise and line up for their blood, all jiggly and big-eyed, like cranky baby birds," he snickered, too superior in his observation of the fledgelings to be aware he'd had much the same look when all the blood had hit the table not that long ago. He used his hands for emphasis as he described the orphans. "You know," he chuckled, turning his grin from Vincent to Ben, "Tate is really obsessed with porcine blood. It's reaching a whole new level - Sean and Mack keep giving him shit about it and they totally embarrassed him in front of Sora and Jenny the other night!" he laughed. He talked to Tate a lot - mainly because he had his middle name and that of the man he'd been named for, but never known. Well, he talked to all of them a fair bit, really.

Once started, Kerr noticed Owen embraced his topic with enthusiasm. He wasn't perturbed by Ben's blank stare or Vincent's mildly concerned looks (like he wasn't sure Owen should be gushing about all the topics he was, in front of his boss). Kerr only understood that look as Owen progressed from talking about the freshman class of fledgelings in a very familiar manner to dropping comments about other students and then the lecturers. It became clear, as he talked, that he'd sat in on every class at the Academy, more than once.

"You saw that?" Kerr asked with surprise, when Owen mentioned how cool it was when of the students in his telekinesis class had succeeded in lifting a pencil and moving it partway around the room. Kerr had obviously been so busy celebrating with the class that he'd not even noticed Owen's presence.

"Are you kidding? It was awesome! Yours and Astrid's classes are the best!" the young blond enthused, then widened his eyes before he looked back at his husband, smirking because he was about to tease him. "I mean, yours are great too, Honey, but there's nothing in there I don't need to know so others are just... better," he shrugged, wrinkling his nose cutely as he reached over to pat the back of Vincent's hand. With a cheeky giggle he made a show of drawing in a breath as he turned to face Ben. "So, do you like the new librarians Sam hired?" he enquired brightly.

Owen was Head of Security but it was clear that he was all over every aspect of every occurrence across the entire campus - if asked, he'd even be able to tell Ben who'd been absent and missed lectures in the last couple of weeks. It was also clear that Owen's job was not demanding enough.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2019, 04:40:22 PM »
"He's picked some already?" Ben asked, only barely noticing that Sam had been hosting interviews in his office and showing some new faces around the library. He'd thought the process had only just started but it was finishing. And still, no Dean to take over campus management. Ichabod wasn't going to last long if he kept working the Academy every day. Ben had helped mostly with paperwork and keeping Digital on track. Digital... wanderered off now and then. He'd already missed two of his question times on Friday and Ben was starting to think that he should put in yet another condition. "Have you met them?"

It made sense that Owen should, since he was security. It sounded like he was doing a good job keeping an eye on everything. Digital had been nattering about the rhythm of someone's name and Ben hadn't recognised it, but that was expected now. So many more people had signed up. The Academy was a success, but it was still losing money. He'd done the sums. Every class had to be three quarters full before the Academy made any cash. He'd been too quick to pay lecturers so much, but since offering the crazy salary, a tonne of people had come forward to offer classes. Almost all of them said they didn't need the money, but Ben had noticed that none of them were refusing it.

Vincent, during Ben's two short questions, gestured at his glass for Owen to try some (and knew that probably half the glass would end up in Owen's stomach).

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2019, 06:38:53 PM »
"Yeah," Owen agreed, though he was somewhat distracted by being offered Vincent's meal - which he took eagerly and gulped a mouthful of before he answered Ben (wow it was delicious! It tasted like a mix of bloods that was probably called acrobatic due to the fact that it danced so delightfully in his mouth).

"One of them I recommended, as a favour for Xiamara. She's her friend. She's an imp, too. She'll do days, alternating with the shifter dude - oh my god, he is so cool! His name's Darwin and he's a supple shifter and he squashed his hand down to show me and it was amazing!" Owen gushed, holding out his hand like it would help everyone imagine how it would look flattened. "The other nights guy is a vampire and there's also a demon for rotating shifts. Background checks were lots of fun."

The grin on his face was genuine because they'd been the highlight of Owen's week - something out of the ordinary to do besides the usual routine stuff. "They all came in to collect their security badges yesterday and Sam's starting a new roster full time from Monday. There'll be new people!" he enthused, clapping his hands together and rubbing them as he anticipated learning more about the Academy's new employees. And messing with them whenever possible. Anything to make his shifts pass faster and keep them interesting. He missed patrolling the city streets badly... but Vincent was so happy that he was safe, he didn't dare complain.

Plus, the occasions he got to see his husband while at work were really special and he loved being able to do that. It counteracted the boredom and the fact that they worked together and knew all the same people (okay, Vincent knew some of the same people) gave them a shared understanding that made it easy to talk about. He loved laying in bed in Vincent's arms just talking.

"Interesting," Kerr intoned, smiling indulgently as he observed the excitement on Owen's lovely face.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2019, 07:52:37 PM »
Ben looked over at Kerr when he said 'interesting' and glanced away before looking back again to recapture what he thought he'd just seen. The classic double-take. Kerr was really invested in Owen's detailed social rundown. Too invested considering it was just 'this name is that species' stuff. Ben thought it was interesting, Kerr looked as though he found it fascinating.

Ben snorted delicately, the sound soft as he turned back to his drink and mumbled into it before he took a large swallow, finishing it off; "Maybe we should all swing together."

Of course with everyone being a vampire at the table, his comment was heard quite clearly. When Ben lifted his gaze he found everyone looking at him. He made a weird muffled sound into his now empty glass; "mmph." Then he set it down and gave a peculiar laugh. "Ahh-haaa."

Okay. He was not making this any better.

"Could we at least try for a second date?" Vincent asked smoothly, shifting his gaze away from Ben to Kerr. It had obviously been a remark from a conversation the two of them had about this night.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2019, 09:41:56 PM »
Kerr's eyes widened at Ben, though he did his very best not to allow the burst of laughter that bubbled up inside him to come out, lest he cause offense again. His lips squeezed together to help hold it in. He couldn't put together why Ben had said that, exactly (apart from the fact it was connected to the lame joke he'd made the other night), but it was funny because it was such an uncharacteristic statement. It was also kind of hot. His ensuing embarrassment was adorable... and then Vincent said that and Kerr did laugh.  He glanced at Owen reflexively.

Owen wasn't seeing the humour in the situation the others were, though he attempted a smile. He knew it wouldn't reach his eyes because he was too busy looking warily between all his dinner partners, trying to figure out whether Ben was serious. His track record with Vincent suggested he was. He'd put lips on Vincent once already and he'd always been kind of weird whenever all three of them had got together to train, like he still had his thing for Vincent but was too polite to talk about it in front of Owen.

And damnit, Ben and he had fucking worked it out, he thought! It'd just been a stupid crush he'd said, because he missed his sire. Owen had even double checked and asked, and Vincent said he'd never made another move. Then Kerr had come back so they'd stopped seeing each other. But now here they were again and Ben was saying they should fucking swing together?? Just so he could get his mitts on Vincent, no doubt. And what, pass Kerr onto him? What the hell!

"With all our clothes on," Owen stated bluntly, his smile disappearing as he took another drink of Vincent's meal.

"Of course," Kerr agreed solemnly, rather wishing he hadn't chosen the tiniest dish so he had something to do with his hands instead of sit there feeling amused... and oddly guilty. He was pleased that Vincent had seen the humour in Ben's comment even if Owen hadn't. To change the subject, he turned to Ben. "Would you like to dance?" he asked with a cheeky grin, figuring he might like an excuse to get up from the table and not have to explain why he'd said what he had. There was a large band playing quiet dining music but a few couples (okay, only two couples, a man with a woman and two women) were inspired by the mostly-strings output to sway together on the dance floor nearby.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2019, 09:52:31 PM »
Ben, who didn't really like dancing because he felt stiff and awkward at it, accepted readily.

"Yes, please," he said, recognising the exit strategy when it was presented to him and grateful to Kerr for supplying it. He wished he hadn't said that comment out loud. It wasn't meant for ears other than his own. Normally he internalised stuff like this but for some reason his mouth had been set to go-mode.

He didn't even look back.

Vincent watched them go with a smile and turned to Owen, eyeing his drink. "I'm not getting that back, am I?" he asked, but he could feel Owen's discomfort thrumming along their shared blood. He would wait for Owen to tell him what the problem was (as if he couldn't guess) and if Owen didn't, he would prompt him.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2019, 10:16:54 PM »
Owen tilted it forward and squinted at the bottom of the glass dubiously, his expression sheepish as he then handed it back. "There's some left," he offered. "If you, uh, lick it. Maybe you should wait 'til Ben gets back so he can watch you do it and get his rocks off," he added sarcastically, folding his arms and flopping against the back of his chair pointedly. He gave Vincent a huffy look - even though it wasn't his fault the other blond still clearly had a thing for him.

Kerr enveloped Ben in a dancing hold but held him close, giggling into the crook of his shoulder so that their dates couldn't see him laughing. "You're adorable, I love you," he said against Ben's shoulder, his voice muffled. When he'd calmed down, he lifted his face so that he was able to look at Ben properly, his feet guiding Ben's with long-practised ability. "Are you still mad at me? I'm sorry if I embarrassed you, at first," he said sincerely, wanting to kiss him but waiting, his gaze shifting between Ben's mouth and his eyes.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2019, 10:36:06 PM »
Ben smiled at Kerr's laughter but was surprised he was that amused.

Ben shook his head. "It's okay. I was just... super sensitive. I wouldn't get myself drunk or high tonight. I didn't even do that kind of thing when mortal," he said, not that Kerr necessarily knew that about him, though his partner could likely have guessed.

Vincent sighed and mirrored Owen by leaning back in his chair. "I'm sure that was a private joke, meant only for Kerr. He wasn't making a suggestion." Vincent smiled to himself, then shared his thought with Owen. "What are the Academy guidelines for sexual harassment? Would it include what I did to you in the storage room? I'd hate to get a mark on my record," he said with false concern.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2019, 11:44:32 PM »
"And I didn't mean to tell you what to do, I was just worried about you," Kerr admitted. "I knew you wouldn't like it if you had some and lost control in front of Vincent - not that I thought you would, really, I just freaked out a bit. It got a bit tense then but I do like them. Vincent's very funny," he grinned and pressed a brief kiss to Ben's lips. When he pulled back, he laughed again. "I can't believe you suggested we do that. Owen wasn't happy," he grinned.

Owen's scowl abated as Vincent gave him a plausible reason behind Ben's comment. It turned into a reluctant smile when Vincent referenced them fooling around at work and then to an outright grin when he talked about the storage room - the most scandalous thing they'd done when they were supposed to be working. Astonishingly, Vincent had been the instigator, pushing past Owen's numerous objections and eventually convincing him to comply.

He shuffled his chair a little closer to Vincent's and put his hand on his thigh, leaning over to nuzzle a kiss on his cheek (or his lips if Vincent turned towards him). He made a show of glancing past Vincent towards Ben and Kerr on the dance floor, before he looked back. "Look, what they don't know won't hurt them. Besides, it's not like I'll press charges," he grinned, moving his hand subtly higher up Vincent's thigh and giving it a squeeze. "Or tell anyone. So you don't have to worry about marks - against your name or otherwise." He gazed lovingly into Vincent's eyes for a moment and then frowned. "Do you really want a second date with them?"

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2019, 03:01:38 PM »
Smiling, Vincent pressed the hand firmly upon his thigh and regarded Owen. "I prepared myself for some awkwardness," he said. "If they request another night, I would like to accept." His smile grew at the thought Owen would read between the lines and realise Vincent wouldn't pursue another outing. He was fairly sure the other couple would be more comfortable after more outings, but he wasn't so social that he needed to have more people in his sphere. He could see him and Kerr discussing many things and it would be nice to have a peer closer to him in age. Ben, as insightful as he was, lacked the mellowing quality that age brought with it, as did his love.

Ben focussed more on the dancing as Kerr spoke, until the last part. "Yeah, I didn't mean it. My timing with kissing Vincent came when they were most vulnerable. Not that I'm a threat to Owen. He's hot, he's confident, he's social and everybody like him." With a calculated pause, he added. "Even you."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2019, 04:40:20 PM »
Owen rolled his eyes and sighed but he had to admit that the dinner hadn't been that bad. One weird joke from Ben (that he knew had been sarcastic rather than genuine, really) couldn't ruin how nice it was to not be at work and to be looking at his gorgeous, dressed-up husband while eating some exotically-flavoured blood. He was having fun, despite that one dull spot. He turned his hand over and grasped Vincent's, swiping his thumb across his inner wrist.

"Yeah, alright," he agreed with a sultry smile. The fact that Vincent wouldn't ask them out appeased him. He also doubted Ben would be keen to go out with them again anytime soon, so it probably wouldn't come up. He thought about ordering dessert and glanced around to see if he could catch the eye of any wait staff. He saw the doorway to the restrooms instead. "I wonder how much smaller a toilet cubicle is, compared to a storage room?" he asked airily, sidling his gaze back to Vincent's.

Kerr frowned, tilting his head as he regarded Ben. He opened his mouth to deny having any particular interest in Owen but he closed it before he spoke in haste. Owen was lovely to look at and a lot less annoying than he'd expected him to be but not to a degree that compared in any way to his attraction to Ben. His tone told Kerr his love was thinking otherwise - and he didn't love it, which surprised and intrigued Kerr. Instead of reassuring Ben, he had a question after a few more bars of music had flowed around them. "Are you... jealous?" he asked softly, his voice tinged with wonder.