Author Topic: Second Time's the Charm?  (Read 13655 times)

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
Second Time's the Charm?
« on: July 31, 2019, 08:31:08 AM »
Rachel was beyond mortified when she awoke the next day.  What the fuck was she thinking?  Embarrassing Damien like that, ruining the shred of a good first impression she managed to make earlier in the evening, spilling her guts to someone she’d only just met!  Dread sunk like a stone into the pit of her stomach the second she began to stir.  There were a million other things she would’ve rather done at that moment than open her eyes, and for the first time in a long time, she wished she was sleeping in her old room. 

Crawling under the bed and hiding for the next month sounded like an excellent idea. 

The first half of the morning she spent with her head buried in Damien’s chest, apologizing nonstop.  She ruined the evening making a complete fucking fool of herself and there was no point in going out in public ever, ever again.  His quiet listening and soothing hair stroking made her feel even worse.  Really she just wished he’d be angry at her and get it over with.  She didn't ask what happened after she went to bed and definitely didn't ask how everyone was before they left.  The less she knew, the better. 

The second half of the morning--early afternoon, really--she spent taking a long, hot shower.  Alone. 

She needed to get out of the house to snap out of it.  Go grab some lunch, maybe do some shopping, something distracting.  There was no sense obsessing over it.  It was all said and done with now.  Thank the gods she had the worlds tiniest hangover.  Silver linings.

“You sure you’re not too hungover?”  he’d asked when she told him what she planned to do, a playful smirk on his face.  She gave him a scowl to cover up the pained expression, drying her hair and stalking into the closet.  After dressing quickly in a pair of black leggings, a plain teeshirt, and a hooded sweatshirt, she jogged downstairs to pop a couple of Asprin while she sent a text to Greg.

He was mercifully prompt this time.

As soon as the car pulled up, Rachel stepped out the door and wordlessly got into the car.  Greg, thankfully, didn’t say much aside from asking where she wanted to go.  It was late afternoon now, so she had him drive her to some cute shops in Central first.  The entire car ride she debated texting Quinn--she needed some sort of insight but she had the feeling that he’d just laugh at her instead.  That’s what she would’ve done anyway.

As soon as the car was stopped, she took off at a quick pace through the streets and Greg followed her closer than she would’ve liked.  She was in and out of a handful of shops quicker than her mind was able to process, arbitrarily picking things off shelves and examining them without actually seeing.  There was something methodical about it that was soothing enough to pull her out of her mantra of stupid, stupid, stupid, so fucking stupid.  A few shopkeepers were watching her as if she planned on stealing something, and under any other circumstances, she would’ve been pissed.  She didn’t buy anything, which left her with a vaguely dissatisfied feeling even though she knew that wasn’t the point of this outing. 

By the time the sun was just starting to set, she’d grabbed a smoothie (no appetite for a real lunch) and headed back to the car with Greg in tow.  She sat silently in the car for a minute, even though the shifter was obviously uncomfortable with the lack of direction, sipping steadily at the smoothie and staring out the window.  It wasn’t until this moment that she realized they’d parked across the street from the White Rabbit.  Rachel exhaled slowly, her head against the back of the car seat. 

“You okay, kid?”  Greg was staring at her from the rearview mirror.

“Yeah,”  She didn’t look up yet.  “Gonna go in the Rabbit.”  Another exhale.

Right.  Time to own up to the Massive Fucking Mess she’d made of last night. 

The fact that she’d never set foot in the place increased her nerves.  Rachel put on her best ‘Dont Fuck With Me’ face and opened the car door, taking a rapid pace across the street with Greg scrambling to keep up.  She had no fucking idea what she was getting herself into.

Just gotta fucking do it before I lose my shit.

Bewildered by the biker bar she’d found herself in, Rachel ended up paying the cover at the door for her and Greg without looking back at him (she knew he'd be breathing down her neck in no time).  She headed straight to the bar to get the attention of the first person who would talk to her.

“Uh, can I talk to Lisa-Joe.  Or Jake McCloud.  Maybe both?”  With her hands shoved into the front pocket of her sweatshirt and her heart pounding intensely, somehow she managed to keep her composure.  Somehow.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Second Time's the Charm?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 04:08:35 AM »
"Well gee, I don't know, can you," the bartender said, winking a beautiful eye as they wiped down the bar. Tyler had been working at the White Rabbit since arriving in town. They'd been keeping a low profile due to this whole election business, but was now settling in as "leader of the Anarchs." They were glad Jake had given up that title, and that no prince ruled over their people. It had improved relations actually, and now Jake was thought've as a working public official instead of someone with a right to rule. Tyler kept a low profile, and many had already convinced themselves that the traveler wasn't the real Tyler after all, just the latest to make the claim. Tyler was fine with being forgotten. It's how he'd survived.

Tyler threw a towel, hitting Manuel on the back of his head. The biker grabbed the rag and turned, giving Rachel a frightening look! "Did you throw that," he asked her, tone deep and menacing. Tyler looked unconcerned, and seemed willing to make Rachel answer.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 01:28:52 AM »
Rachel resisted the urge to scoff or pout at the teasing, lips drawn into a tight line.  She wasn't interested in getting fucked with.  It was going to make her chicken out of coming here in the first place.  She watched the bartender for a minute while coming up with nothing to fire back at them.  Rachel was about to ask again, politely, maybe somehow make it seem more urgent just to get what she needed, but then they threw the towel at someone. 

The accusation pointed at her instead made her bristle.  "Uh, no, what the fuck would I do that for---hey!"  Greg shoved her roughly out of the way to put himself directly between Rachel and the biker, doing his best to look intimidating. 

"It was the bartender, alright?"  Greg growled, "You got a fucking problem?"

Rachel ran both her hands through her hair, gripping at the roots and squeezing her eyes shut.  "You've got to be fucking kidding me," she whispered, removing her hands and looking up at the ceiling.  "Greg, stop!"  He was going to get her killed!  Seriously!  So fucking embarassing.

He turned to her, a perplexed expression on his face.  Rachel gave him a scalding look,  "Go wait in the fucking car." she hissed through her teeth.  It would be fine.  She was inside, this was Jake's place.  No way the Demon would try anything here.  No, she was perfectly safe her.  Definitely.  Hopefully.

Better not think about it too much.

Greg looked back at the biker with narrow eyes before turning to leave.  Rachel almost wished he'd given her a little more of a fight about being in here alone but it didn't seem like he was interested in that.  It was tempting to fire him on the spot but then she'd need a ride home from someone else.  And she was definitely not going to ask Jake for that.  Besides, Damien would be fucking livid.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 01:38:29 AM »
Tyler hadn't meant things to escalate so quickly. Tyler held up their hands, and said, "woah, woah, woah. Better watch it partner. You're out of your league."

Maria's magic wards would've kicked in had Greg, or Manuel, taken any violent actions, and so Tyler was convinced this could be worked through. They were happy to see Greg leave the bar. That guy had a problem. Tyler turned to Manuel. "One, it was me. Two, go get Jake. Three, shut up."

Manuel looked ready to blow, but found a quick, "sorry" for Rachel before storming off downstairs, tossing the towel back at Tyler as he left. The traveler caught it with ease. They turned to Rachel, and grabbed a fresh glass.

"Sorry for the trouble, was just having a bit of fun. First drink is on the house. Miss?"

They left a hanging indent for Rachel to supply her name. Afterwards he followed up with, "I'm Tyler. Welcome to the White Rabbit."
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 01:50:53 AM »
Rachel was a little crestfallen that she wouldn't be seeing Lisa-Joe.  That would've been way easier, but she'd take what she could get.  Dropping in unannounced wasn't going to yield the most ideal out of any situation.

"It's not that deep," she muttered reflexively after the apology--well, the second apology, since the first ran off too quickly for her to reply.  Rachel wasn't too sure if she should be spreading her name around, definitely not to someone she wasn't sure she could trust.  Jake's place or not.  "Evans," was out of her mouth before she thought too long about it, feeling like it was more important to not hesitate when giving a name or else she would seem the untrustworthy one.  But the effect of taking ownership of Damien's last name made her flush deeply, images of a cute wedding ceremony flashing across her imagination quicker than she could rein them in.   

"Uh, water is fine, thanks."  She made a move to rub at her face, hoping to cover up for the blushing that was probably wicked obvious.  What the fuck was she doing here, again?  Besides potentially making everything worse?

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 02:01:35 AM »
Tyler looked almost disappointed to just fix a glass of water, but still managed to do some fancy bartending tricks. His Celerity made tossing glasses up and catching them easy, and he thought he needed to earn his tips by doing more than just making the patrons drinks. They were a show person, a thespian, and a musician. After juggling a few glasses, to the applause of the other patrons at the bar, they slid a perfectly filled water glass with light ice, and not a drop was spilled.

"One water," they presented. "And I've never heard of Evans as a first name. Is it Ms. Evans, or Mrs. Evans, or is it Mr. Evans? I shouldn't assume your pronouns."

They hated when others did that to them, and always tried to treat people as gender neutral until informed how they felt. "What's eating at ya," they asked, noticing all the human emotions going on. "If you can't tell a bartender, then who can you tell?"

Meanwhile, below, Manuel informed Jake some "chick" was here to see him, and that she was human. Jake normally didn't take walk in appointments, but Manuel added, "Tyler okayed it."

Jake frowned deeply, but stood up. "Tell her I'll be right there, and get me a name before I walk out there please. No ambuses from election reporters." Manuel nodded and started heading back up as Jake started to change his clothes.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 02:11:21 AM »
Rachel watched the tricks with the glass with wide-eyed interest.  She'd seen Damien move fast, sure, but nothing so elaborate.  As she took a sip from the glass, Tyler's question almost made her choke and she coughed a bit before answering.

"Uh.  Mrs."  She said quietly, cheeks pink and tingling.  Fuck.  Guess we're married for now then.  "And she/her is fine--you?"  She looked up at Tyler long enough to hear the answer before taking another sip of water and averting her gaze.  Would they be telling Jake that Mrs. Evans was here to speak with him?  God that sounded so...old!  Like she was his mother or something!  But no--it was that other guy that went to go get Jake, so he wouldn't know what name she'd just given Tyler. 

Rachel played with the glass on the bar for a bit, avoiding eye contact, but she let out a little laugh.  Was she really that transparent?

"Just a bit ruffled about earlier,"  she glanced up briefly, then clarified, "with Greg."  Rachel sighed, not really wanting to explain more about that or why she was really here.   

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 02:20:59 AM »
"They/them or he/him," he answered. Tyler's gender was a complicated topic, but he felt more confident having both sets of pronouns, instead of just choosing. It might be more confusing, but it felt more real somehow. Mrs. Evans was acting rather coy, but Tyler figured if she was here to see Jake it was about business. Tyler knew all three of Jake's friends at this point. They wiped down the bar, and said, "need anything else, give me a holler Mrs. Evans." He moved down the bar to let others order, leaving Rachel alone to sip her water.

The elevator opened and Manuel walked out. He walked directly to where Rachel was sitting. "Name," he requested, and while Tyler could hear, they didn't supply it for her. Manuel seemed calm but gruff. "He's on his way by the way."

A few minutes later, Jake emerged, and seeing that it was Rachel was both relieved and curious. He walked over, thanked Manuel, and nodded curtly at Tyler. He wore blue jeans, a flannel, and a beanie. His nails were painted black and a cigarette dangled from his mouth.

"Rachel, to what do I owe the pleasure?" He looked happy to see her, although curious why she was here. Did she know Damien was coming here later to practice with him for the District Leader meeting?
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 02:36:04 AM »
She slid into a bar stool.  "Okay,"  Rachel managed a thankful smile as Tyler left, glad to have the time to herself to come up with what she was going to say. 

Mr. McCloud?  District Leader McCloud?  Jake?
Hey, sorry for making a total ass of myself.
Hi, Jake, I hope last night wasn't as weird for you as it was for me.
I know the last time you saw me I was drunk, but I hope that doesn't put you off to having Damien be your campaign manager.
Please reassure me that I didn't royally fuck up as bad as I think I did.

Hopeless.

By the time the elevator opened, Rachel was slouched at the bar, leaning on her elbow and playing absentmindedly with the condensation on the outside of the glass.  When the biker guy came back, she straightened and scrambled for her 'Don't Fuck With Me' face.  She couldn't help but give the biker guy a hard look but gave the same name she'd given Tyler.  Her anxiety spiked when he said that Jake was on the way.  She slid out of the stool and onto her feet, taking another hasty sip of water and doing her best to regain composure. 

Relief was plain on her face when Jake came into view, dressed casually and not looking too annoyed.  She was surprised by how much more approachable he felt like this.

"Hey!"  Too excited-sounding, calm the fuck down, Rache.  "Sorry to bother you, uh, I was wondering if we could talk real quick."  She glanced around at the bar, hoping they could go somewhere where she wouldn't be overheard.  The whole incident with Greg was embarrassing enough.  Having to do this was embarrassing enough.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 02:44:59 AM »
"Sure," Jake said, giving Tyler a look that clearly said but out. "And it's no bother. You just saved me from a pile of work emails."

The older vampire shot Jake the finger, and stuck his tongue firmly in his check. Tyler started doing more drink tricks, and Manuel took his normal post at the other end of the bar. Jake decided that Damien would probably not want Rachel exposed to the Rabbit Warrens and so started moving towards the staircase to the second floor. There was a smut party later, but for now a drag queen named Lady Leather led the happy hour crowd through sex toy bingo.

"Does anyone have dildo on their score cord," a german accent, and deep voice asked. Lady Leather was true to her name, dressed in a full black leather outfit. Jake picked a sleepy booth in the back, grabbing an ashtray from a nearby table.

Once they were sitting, he casually turned to her. "What's up Rache? Lisa-Joe is on an important errand for me tonight, otherwise I'd have her join."

He took a drag from his cigarette but blew the smoke away from Rachel, before flicking off the ash tip.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 02:55:52 AM »
Rachel was all deer-in-the-headlights being led to the second floor, watching the bingo as she walked while trying to be careful not to do something stupid like trip over her own feet.  Did I just hear 'Dildo'?!  Still blushing, she stuck her hands in the pocket of her pullover sweatshirt as she walked, fiddling with her cellphone there until they reached the booth.  Her heart was definitely racing, and he could probably fucking hear it.

Embarrassing.  Just need to chill the fuck out...

"That's fine."  She exhaled slowly, watching the young-looking vampire smoke while she settled into the seat.  "I uh, I was in the area and I..."  Ugh, why didn't she come up with a plan for something to say!  Her hand went over her face and she shook her head, laughing to herself.  Just try again.  Slowly.  It's not that deep.

"About last night--"  She took her hand from her face and made herself meet his eye.  "I'm really sorry for what happened, it was inappropriate and I hope that I didn't make you uncomfortable.  That wasn't exactly how I envisioned the night going and I hope that I haven't put you off from working with Damien."  There.  Maybe spoke a little too quickly but at least it was out now.  "I'd like another chance to make a good impression,"  she laughed, desperately needing to inject humor to lighten the mood, "I promise I'm not a lush."

Nope, that was probably a stupid thing to say too.  Why couldn't ya just stick with the first part?

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 03:01:32 AM »
Jake loved humans, and moments like Rachel was currently having was a big reason why. He smiled warmly, and moved to place his hand lightly on top of one of hers.

"I want you to know, I blame Lisa-Joe," he said. "And don't fret it at all. She had a great time, and on the ride home all she talked about was you." Jake looked up a the ceiling for a moment, deciding to try and lessen Rachel's embarrassment by throwing her someone else's. "Well, when she wasn't gushing about Pierre." He smiled, like he'd told her a secret. Wasn't that how friendships were formed? Her earnest and thoughtful nature warmed Jake to her beyond just being Damien's partner, and he saw why Damien would be interested in her in the first place.

He ashed his cigarette and pulled out another. "Want one? I won't tell Damien if you don't."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 03:15:11 AM »
His hand over hers would've been unsettling if it wasn't for the smile on his face.  Was she about to be gently reprimanded? 

Fuck.  Fuckfuckfuckfuck.

Any apprehension she had before melted away at his response.  A smile washed easily over her features, blush creeping back into her cheeks when he told her that Lisa-Joe was talking about her on the ride home.  She was so glad, but Lisa-Joe had been the least of her concerns.  Somehow she knew that the redhead wouldn't have judged her--considering the hair-braiding and long conversation.  As he divulged Lisa-Joe's little crush, Rachel giggled.  Everyone had a crush on Pierre, that wasn't anything new.

She exhaled a sigh of relief and leaned against the back of the booth with her eyes closed.  "Thank fuck," she breathed before returning her attention to Jake.  Rachel eyed the offered cigarette.

"No thanks, I don't smoke cigarettes,"  she smirked, thinking about other smokeables that she hadn't indulged in for-fucking-ever.  Have to talk to him about that eventually, now that hanging out with Quinn was back to a regular thing.  "He'll smell it anyway."  She shrugged and let out a brisk laugh as if enjoying a private joke.

"I'm glad that Lisa-Joe had a good time,"  she chewed the bottom of her lip, staring at the tablespace between them before giving Jake a sincere look.  "I hope you did too, ya know.  All weirdness aside.  I know Damien can be awkward as hell."  She laughed again, eyes sparkling. 

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 03:31:52 AM »
Jake couldn't suppress a lightheard laugh, as Rachel called Damien awkward. She hadn't heard it before, and it somehow hinted at youth in a way his brooding demeanor often hid. He pulled back his hand, to light his new cigarette, but left his gold cigarette case on the table. From the crowd Lady Leather called out, "anal beads. Does anyone have anal beads?" The crowd around the drag queen laughed, and Jake continued his laugh to the absurdity of the activity. He loved his weird little bar, far more than he liked running a district. "She auditioned a few weeks ago, and after one night we started booking her solid."

That was enough explanation about the bingo game, and now that the humor had passed, he relaxed back into something friendly, but lower energy. Jake lacked the context to know exactly what she meant, but knew enough to support a claim that Damien could be awkward. Jake debated telling her that he thought awkward Damien was cute, but decided he didn't want that getting back to Damien.

"I had a nice time," he confirmed. "You have a lovely family, and home. We don't see many like it in the nightlife world. I also like Damien a lot. Ugh. He sort've gets me, I think. Maybe. Well, he makes me listen, sometimes."

Now Jake was the one that felt awkward, his word salad about Damien having a point that was missing. He nervous laughed and gave her a sheepish grin.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 03:47:58 AM »
She liked hearing the laugh, deciding that Jake probably needed to do it just as much as Damien did.  "Sounds like a fun time,"  She nodded in the direction of the drag queen.

Another exhale let out any remaining tension when Jake confirmed that he'd enjoyed himself, and she grinned at the complements to their home.  Family.  Yeah, it was a family, wasn't it?  There was a tingling warm-feeling bubbling inside at the thought.  She had so much to be grateful to Damien for (and she was sure that she'd told Lisa-Joe at least half of it while she was drunkenly gut-spilling).

"Same," she laughed at the fact that Damien had a way of making people listen (sometimes).  Somewhere in the back of her mind, she wondered at the awkwardness she sensed behind the 'ugh' and 'maybe', and again at the obvious nervous laugh (now that she had a real one to compare it to).  The only outward hint at her wonderings was a slightly peculiar look that she gave the vampire.  But she wasn't one to dwell, otherwise, she might've gotten a little defensive.  Maybe.

"He can be stuffy, so I'm glad you got the chance to experience him a little defrosted."  Her smile was warm, eyes looking slightly off as she thought sweetly of him.  "You have no idea how hard it is to get him to chill,"  She rolled her eyes, "But I like to think I've done a pretty good job."  She crossed her arms over her chest, straightened her posture, and lifted her chin with a mocking-exaggeration of pride, shamelessly taking credit for something that was as much work on his end as it was for her.  Rachel, of course, wasn't privy to anything Pierre had said to them before getting smacked in the head with the cabinet door (and had she been, she might've tried rephrasing her claim).  Her mind was far from anything sexual, running through mainly cute shit she convinced him to do with her and how much she tried to make him laugh.