Author Topic: An Optimistic Joy  (Read 393 times)

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
Re: An Optimistic Joy
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2019, 06:17:36 AM »
Mal's smile found its way through the tension as a waft of blood in the human's cheeks rushed at his senses.  The simplicity of this moment was touching, and fleetingly wished they could stay here suspended in time.

I'd want to know that too, so don't just be nice about it

Something in that sentence filled him with a rush of guilt, knowing that he was hiding something from him completely unrelated to their date.  But he couldn't focus on that now.  It would ruin everything and he wasn't about to do that now.

"I'm not just being nice," he insisted, seriousness edging into his voice, "I like spending time with you."  He stopped talking just before saying and I can't wait to do it again.  Unconsciously he held Quinn a bit tighter. 
Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Sonya/Anna/Odessa || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2019, 06:43:24 AM »
He tried to suppress the smirk that would have him grinning like an idiot as he beamed privately, the burn in his cheeks and ears increasing and his heart fluttering. It was one thing to feel the thing, express it in subtle ways throughout the night - laughs, looks, hand holding. It was something altogether different to hear it verbalized, normalized, legitimized in the cool night air. So their date was going good? Some dark part of him told him that it was a lie - Malakai was a nice guy being nice, that's all - but the good feeling fought hard enough to override it.

His first instinct was to give him a sarcastic, flashy response and avoid saying the thing that made him feel vulnerable. Had Mal not spoken up first, Quinn probably would have avoided it most (if not all) of the night. As it was, there was the temptation to reciprocate, though it still felt somewhat scary. His mind pushed for the protective sarcasm, but he forced out something more honest instead.

"I've been enjoying myself with you as well." Quinn looked up at his date, tucking himself closer as if in a physical conformation of the depth of his words. "I've always had a fun time with you." He hesitated before telling him something he had always tried not to be too obvious about. "I've been... wanting to," ask you out on a date, he thought to himself, "...spend time with you alone for a while now, actually."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2019, 06:53:34 AM »
The unspoken thought flitting in Quinn's mind reached through the ether, making Mal freeze as he caught it.

For whatever reason, it was surprising to him that Quinn had been interested in him in that way.  Not when he had numerous other choices to pick from.  Besides Jerry with his nearly irredeemable assholery. 

"Oh?"  He let out a huff of a nervous laugh, looking around for something to stare at in order to regain his composure.  How long had they been dancing around this obviously mutual feeling?  Mal was at a loss for what to say, awash with discomfort.  Was it obvious he was scrambling for something to say?  He really hoped not.  "I always looked forward to, uh, hanging out."  Smooth.

He was going to ruin this eventually, he was sure of it.
Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Sonya/Anna/Odessa || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2019, 07:16:53 AM »
Quinn blinked and tilted his head at Mal's use of the words 'hanging out'. The air between them went quickly stale and Quinn could feel Mal's dismay and awkwardness immediately. He chortled, his shoulders shaking with his suppressed laugh. "Oh yeah?" His amusement and adoration of the vampire was clear on his face. Their friendship had provided him with plenty of experience with this particular theme of wordlessness, though usually it was when he was confronted and not prepared with an answer. This shade of ineloquence may have been new to Quinn, but the reactions were all the same.

"Oh, Malakai," Quinn said with a smiling, resigned sigh, taking the arm that was around him off his shoulder by holding his hand again. In a smooth motion he lifted his arm and guided it until it was between them (with Mal's hesitance and lack of idea of what was going on). The distance between them was only temporary as Quinn wove his arm between Mal's ribs and arm so that their limbs were pressed together and their hands clasped in a tight weave of warm and cool skin.

"You're lucky you're cute," he said, falling back into a habit he had developed over the years - though now it had an extra level of meaning. Quinn was still confused how this bashful, adorable, floundering vampire had written some of the songs he had.