Author Topic: The Kindred Who Brunch  (Read 10701 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: The Kindred Who Brunch
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2019, 12:25:13 PM »
Jake blushed at being called an excellent partner, the fresh blood allowing it to happen. Kerr's touch felt firm and his hands were solid grips on Jake as they moved about the floor. This felt almost unreal, like they were flying. It was peaceful, and while it didn't dawn on him at that moment, later he would find it romantic. Then Kerr bust the bubble.

But for now, I'll happily dance with you.

Of course, he was being told he was second fiddle to Ben. Kerr loved reminding him. His question about Murphy landed right as Jake's expression soured, and it looked like he was mad about that.

"Ummm no," Jake said with a bit more edge to his voice. "He probably wouldn't be interested."

It felt short considering how blissful they'd been moments before, and Jake felt a touch of guilt for being so horribly jealous of Ben. He smiled at Kerr apologetically. It wasn't a fair statement really. Jake had never asked Murphy about such a thing. He felt guilt about that too.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2019, 12:57:08 PM »
Kerr decided to ignore the expression on Jake’s face, interpreting it as the outward realisation of an inward dissatisfaction with Murphy that was unlikely to be serious, just disappointing. He could relate, having a partner that didn’t share all his interests. He was pleased to have found this common ground with Jake, though, it gave them something harmless to explore together, buoying their friendship.

And not just because Ben wanted him to keep Jake happy.

Wishing to bring the contented look back to his handsome partner’s face, Kerr paid better attention to the music, listening for a mini crescendo in which to dip Jake again. When it came, it followed a very rapid set of twirling footsteps, meaning Jake was whirled in a circle and then bent backwards. It wasn’t as deep as the foxtrot dip and Kerr had naturally adjusted his splayed hand to support Jake in this more horizontal angle, looming over him and smiling as he spoke.

“Well, then, it’s a good thing we have each other to dance with!” he beamed, looking down at Jake much like he would if he were hovering above him in bed. Jake was vertical again the next instant and Kerr had them moving on across the dance floor in three-four time.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2019, 12:31:17 AM »
Kerr was a very romantic person, and Jake found all sourness cleared away as Kerr moved him into the spins that led to his dip. Now, with Kerr's hand on his back, and smiling face looking upon him, Jake let out an embarrassed chuckle, and smiled sweetly. He ignored the stiring in his pants. He couldn't help it if he'd always found Kerr so attractive, but as they danced Jake realized it wasn't something just physical. Kerr had a way of relaxing him that was very much like Murphy. There was a calming influence that as Kerr beamed over him, Jake wondered if it worked on Ben.

"Umm, yeah. Let's tango next."

After that, he was thrown back up and they were moving quickly across the floor. The band seemed infected by their energy. The song ended, and Jake held Kerr tightly as they ended. "One more before we go back to opposite sides of the picket line?"

Jake was having so much fun and didn't want the night to end just yet.   
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2019, 01:01:27 AM »
An indulgent smile and a mischievous twinkle in Kerr's eye was all the answer Jake got... until the Irishman spun his partner around and into the next dance. He would happily go until it was time to race the dawn home but they should probably limit themselves. Ben would wonder where he was soon enough, fearing the worst (whatever that might be).

The music for the next dance was perfect for a Viennese waltz so, because they'd already done a regular waltz, Kerr danced that one and the next. It was a tango, after all. Jake played his part perfectly, swishing imaginary skirts and stamping his way around Kerr, clapping on the pronounced beats and twisting, turning and rubbing sensuously up against him as the dance dictated. Kerr couldn't resist the shorter vampire's fluid movements, responding with a smouldering glower, hands that touched him everywhere and the most rigid frame he'd held all night.

If they'd been mortal, the crescendo of the dance would've left their chests heaving and their breathing ragged as they whirled their way into a truly suggestive finishing pose - Jake's leg hooked around one of Kerr's splayed ones, Kerr's face buried in his neck and Jake's profile aloof as it turned up towards the ceiling, his fingers clutching suggestively at Kerr's head. The audience seemed to be applauding them as much as the band and Kerr pulled back to give Jake a wry grin, knowing he wouldn't be able to disentangle himself without his partner's help.

"That seems like a good place to end the evening," he smiled, the blood he'd so recently ingested racing through his system in his excitement.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2019, 02:43:07 AM »
Jake had enjoyed the tango more than anything, and the chemistry between he and Kerr was a living thing. Jake imagined the night ending a way that would make more than one person unhappy. It wasn't going to happen though. This was all a fantasy really. Tomorrow they'd go back to barely talking, and while it looked like more Kerr time might be coming soon, it would always be with a serious, limiting wedge. He didn't let that thought ruin his good mood. He'd had the best time he'd ever had with Kerr tonight. He'd celebrate the fact that it looked like they would get to be friends after all, with some serious conditions of course.

"Of course," he said, unhooking their bodies, and standing perfectly tall. He took out the chain and ring, and placed the later back on his finger. He was District Leader McCloud again.

"Thank you for a nice dinner, and wonderful dancing," he said, doing a mock curtsy. "Give Ben and Ichabod my absolute best."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2019, 03:15:29 AM »
Kerr laughed as he hooked his arm through Jake's and walked with him towards their table. "So formal," he teased, regretting the replacement of that ring on Jake's finger. He'd been enjoying the most delicious feedback loop of emotions when dancing with Jake but that... reception was closed down now, like a microphone that had been muted. He didn't like it.

"I have to thank you for the dancing, actually. I feel invigorated by it and you've reminded me exactly how much I love it. Thank you!" As if to prove his point, he leant over impulsively and placed a kiss on Jake's cheek. Within a few steps, they'd reached their table and Kerr spied the bill folder. He released Jake's arm in order to make a grab for it. "I'd like to pay!" he declared but it seemed Jake was prepared for his manoeuvre.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2019, 09:27:17 AM »
Jake let himself be swept up by Kerr's arm, and that kiss on the cheek, and was practically giggling as they made their way back to the table. Jake admitted that he'd forgotten how much he enjoyed dancing, and told Kerr he was the perfect partner to resurrect his love of it. He squeezed Kerr's bicep playfully as they reached their seats. Jake let Kerr go in an instant to grab the check, both men playfully battling for the right to pay. In the end, Jake won the day, and slapped the needed plastic into the black folder that came with the bill. He handed it off quickly. Kerr had only given in because Jake said, "you can get the next one, and pick the spot too." Kerr had agreed with the logic, and now the two sat for a few final moments.

"I had a really nice time tonight," Jake said softly. "It seems like in some ways we're pretty compatible."

He hadn't meant to word it like that, realizing it sounded like a dating profile. He gave an apologetic grin, before folding his hands neatly on the table in front of him. He tried to change the subject from their amount of compatibility. "Do you know who owns this place," he asked. "I think I'll look into buying it. I suddenly have a lot of money I need to invest, and no current opportunities."

He placed his tongue firmly in his check so Kerr would know he wasn't making a true swipe at him for refusing his earlier proposal. In reality, it was the farthest thing from Jake's mind.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2019, 02:14:25 AM »
Kerr smirked at Jake's playful jab, shaking his head in mock disapproval. "I don't know about Echelon, no, but... " He paused with his mouth open, hovering on the precipice of confessing he had another opportunity Jake could invest in, if he wanted, uncertain about saying those words. He was caught up in the happy feelings roused by their dancing, by the talk of their compatibility, by his dreams for what The Outlook could become.

For a moment, he let his mind wander, envisioning his next meeting with Jake coinciding with his tour with Vincent of his cliffside establishment. He fancied Jake advocating for the dancing hall idea he'd originally had, while Vincent argued that many-faceted restaurants would be far and away the preference and best business choice, with him enjoying the repartee between the two as they all hashed out what might be best for the place.

It was a sweet instant, innocent of subterfuge or political stylings, an exciting opportunity to forge connections with two men he liked beyond passing niceties. A daydream in the truest sense. It burst just as quickly, as Kerr imagined Ben's opinion of him getting into business-bed with Jake and involving the hallowed Vincent along the way. Blasphemy! Besides, The Outlook had been going to be Ben's legacy. It didn't feel right him taking it back and involving people Ben hated in its realisation.

"... I wish you the best with it. It'd be swell to say I know the owner and try to convince you to give me special treatment," he finished with a wink, allowing his previous thoughts to die as quietly as they'd been born, evaporating like the wish in the smoke above a child's birthday candles.

He looked up as the staff member returned Jake's card, standing and pulling his leather jacket on while he waited for Jake to pocket the card and stand also. He planned to accompany him to the lift and down to his car, in no hurry for their pleasant evening to end abruptly. There was a vague smile flitting around his mouth that said as much.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2019, 02:53:48 AM »
Jake didn't catch any hesitation in Kerr's voice. It was possible the signing the check distracted him, and the link they'd shared on the dance floor was broken by the ring. He might've picked up on Kerr's pivot that way, but instead he merely smiled and stood.

"I don't know Kerr. I may not charge you money, but I might make a rule that you have to swing me around the floor like that if you want me to treat you special."

It was the most overtly flirtatious Jake had been all night, and he followed it up by moving to Kerr and sliding his arm through the older vampire's. "Shall we," he asked, pointing to the lift. He was in no hurry for their night to end either.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2019, 11:22:58 PM »
Kerr laughed appreciatively at Jake's playful comment, clapping his other hand over Jake's where it wrapped around his arm. They made quite the cosy pairing as Kerr nodded his agreement and they wound their way between the tables and out through the restaurant's foyer. As they walked, he considered pulling back and reinstating a more professional distance between them but the urge to respond won out. He told himself he was doing it for Ben.

"You know that would be my pleasure," he murmured, leaning towards Jake conspiratorially. "It makes me wonder what classifies as 'special treatment' from you, though," Kerr hinted. He tilted his head and gave Jake's front a very obvious once-over before straightening up to smirk at him, his eyebrows raised. "I bet that'd be something," he winked, removing his hand from atop Jake's to hit the elevator's down button as they arrived in front of the closed doors.

Surprisingly, they opened immediately so Kerr led Jake into the enclosed space, touching the button for the carpark level before he settled his shoulder against the wall, grinning at Jake.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2019, 05:01:22 AM »
Jake was now looking at Kerr like he was dinner. The obvious once over got one in return, and somehow their bodies inched even closer. At the word pleasure, Jake felt a rush over him, and a stiffness in his pants. Kerr had a way of riling him up without really trying. It was incredibly sexy, and Jake blamed his initial kiss with Kerr on that fact. The elevator was small, although the two men could've put a healthier distance between them if they really wanted. Jake didn't want that though. He wanted Kerr.

"Wonder away," Jake teased, his tone quiet and a little breathy. "Maybe one day you'll compare those wonders to the real thing."

Was it an offer for sex? He could certainly see Kerr taking it that way, and he hated his impulsive mouth. He added, "ya know. If conditions ever change."

Despite the warning he'd just given them both, their chests were practically touching again, and Jake's eyes looked big, pretty, and innocent. His lips however, were formed into that perfect Jake McCloud smirk. It was the one that made half the population want to kill him, and the other half want to fuck the arrogance out of him. He felt it was a perfect expression for Kerr.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2019, 01:45:33 PM »
A lyric from a song from not so long ago began playing in Kerr's head as he looked at Jake's sultry smirk.

Because you're mine, I walk the line.

Because he was Ben's, he was walking this line between putting Jake offside and keeping him onside, playing a game that both he and Jake knew would never go anywhere... but enjoying it for what it was all the same. He was balanced too close to Jake for what Ben would like and too far from Jake for his liking, caught between desire and obedience.

It was a delicious kind of torture and it left Kerr smirking right back at Jake, shaking his head slowly, silently reprimanding Jake's insolence even while his eyes encouraged it. He wasn't even sure when Jake had moved from beside him to in front of him; their arms were still linked but it was slightly awkward now they were almost chest to chest. Much like they'd been while they danced.

"You're wicked," he condemned Jake huskily, his head still shaking as he stared at those huge, pretty eyes and Jake's mouth. He tried to remember the fury he'd held onto for this man, for the wrongs he'd done to Ben... but it was difficult to rouse that level of anger when his mood was this relaxed and he'd forgiven Jake for his part in mistakes that were rightfully Charon's and Lazarus'.

As the lift reached the carpark and stilled, so did Kerr's shaking head. The doors opened and Kerr straightened up off the wall but he couldn't step forward until Jake moved out of the way - unless he forced him back and up against another wall. Instead, he reached past Jake, holding his hand in front of the doors so that they didn't close. It made him loom over Jake and brought their chests into proper contact. The hint for Jake to move out of the way was obvious but Kerr spoke to him to be certain.

"But... conditions haven't changed yet," he drawled, "so come on, let's go," he urged, lifting his chin towards the open space at Jake's back and then grinning indulgently down at him.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2019, 03:58:32 AM »
"Why Kerr," Jake said, mock shock in his tone. "You almost sound like you want  them to change."

He'd heard the word yet and wondered if it was meant to keep him on some fish hook, or if it was Freudian slip about his relationship with Ben. Either way it was a delicious word, and tasted better than any blood he'd had all night. Jake also loved being called wicked. He practically beamed at the accusation. While mock innocence was more his brand, he indulged in being a trouble maker this time. He'd forgotten how good it made him feel.  It's who he was at some fundamental level, and all the coaching from Damien in the world wouldn't erase that part of him. He'd have to hide it better and Damien would help him learn to play the game, but at the end of the day Jake was a bad boy who liked bad men. There was a strange acceptance in the realization. It made him want to think more, and the name Murphy entered his brain for the first time in hours. Fuck.

Jake lingered for a moment, making Kerr stare for a few moments too long. For just a moment, Jake's lips parted, and the pair's faces were so close. Surely Jake wouldn't try again what had failed so spectacularly once before? He didn't try and kiss Kerr, but didn't mind if Kerr interpreted him that way. He was curious to see what reaction that would get him.

"You're right of course," he said, the Black Prince pushing Jake aside, and Jake's more guarded, and flippant, side taking back over. He untangled them, stepping out of the lift. "Have a good night Kerr, and thanks again for the dinner and dancing."

He would wait for Kerr to say his goodbyes but couldn't resist one final comment.

"Do give Ben my best," he said, his tone a perfect match between sarcasm and sincerity.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2019, 01:06:12 AM »
Kerr felt the electricity rise as Jake tilted his head ever so slightly - ever so defiantly - while Kerr held the doors open. Kerr's eyes narrowed minutely and he began to worry that Jake really would kiss him again, making a move that was too obvious to ignore, that he'd have no choice but to reject, souring their pleasant evening with an undeniable truth.

That happened, but not in the way he expected. The anticipation of Jake's lips on his was so strong, in fact, that Kerr blinked in surprise as the other pulled abruptly away... and his mask reasserted itself. Kerr straightened, frowning slightly as the delightful man he'd spent his evening dancing and flirting with disappeared behind the veneer of the only man that Ben ever saw. And hated.

"You too," he responded to Jake's wish that he have a good evening, feeling somewhat of a phony as he also agreed that he was thankful for their entertaining night. It felt like it didn't even happen with the man he was looking at now... and then that parting shot came. Disappointment flooded Kerr and he shook his head again, this time genuinely saddened rather than amused. "Ahhh, Jake," he sighed, recognising the petty jab for what it was and choosing not to respond. He reached over and gently cupped Jake's face, brushing a thumb along his cheekbone before releasing him and stepping out of the elevator.

Kerr walked to his car without looking back, wishing he could focus on everything that had come before that last bit, in order to regain the warmth he'd felt in Jake's presence.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2019, 07:24:34 AM »
The effect of Kerr's disappointment was strangely felt by Jake. His sneer moved into something more contemplative, and that final touch left him confused. Kerr was not Ben, and the same mind games he'd played on his rival were not appropriate for someone he'd just reconnected with. Jake was often his own worst enemy, and he felt that now. He wanted to call out to Kerr, to apologize and explain he'd only been joking. But he hadn't been joking. He had been acting petty and Kerr had so subtly called him out. The most Kerr would see as Jake walked away was a face that looked apologetic, even if he had no words to back it up.

He made his way towards the car service that awaited him. Luke was doing official sheriff business so his driver was Riley, one of his junior officers. He opened the passenger door of an oversized black sedan. "Have fun boss," he asked, never being short on small talk.

"I did," he said somberly. Kerr's face clouded his vision. He got in, and somehow Riley knew to just shut up for once. He did have an idea Jake liked though. "Can I turn on the radio boss?"

"Sure," Jake said, before settling in. Riley fiddled with the dials before finding a song he guessed they'd both like. Riley started the engine and drove off towards the White Rabbit. The song Jake knew, but the particular cover was new to him. Something about the vocalists style made the lyrics pop out, and it prompted serious thoughts.

If I seem edgy
I want you to know
I never meant to take it out on you
Life has its problems
And I get more than my share
But that's one thing I never mean to do

Cause I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

I try so hard, don't let me be misunderstood
I try so hard, don't let me be misunderstood

At first he thought about Kerr, about the exchange they'd just had. However, it quickly gave way to real reason he felt so blue suddenly, Murphy. Jake had the best night he'd had in a long time with Kerr. He'd forgotten Ben, the election, Lazarus, witches, demons, duskborn and all the rest. It had been such a lovely feeling, and while Jake gave himself partial credit for not destroying their nice time, he realized that Kerr had brought those feelings out of him. He'd had no intention to dance with Kerr tonight. He'd honestly wanted a business meeting. The best he'd hoped for was polite conversation over drinks. Instead, he'd really lived, and it made him feel warm, and romanced, and frankly alive. Lazarus had taken so much from him - although Jake reflected he'd taken a lot back - and Jake was realizing how much work he needed to still do, to be fully over what happened. He'd need more moments like the one tonight with Kerr. That was the rub of it all. Murphy had never made him feel the way Kerr just did.

Jake was under no delusion that he and Kerr ever had a chance, and reflected that despite the lust and good time he'd felt, that he valued Kerr as a friend and nothing more. Maybe it was the pragmatism of a growing maturity, or never wanting to feel like second fiddle to Ben, but Jake was able to separate his affection from his feelings. What Kerr had taught Jake was that the person who made you feel the way he just felt should be your partner, if you have one. Did Kerr make Ben feel so relaxed and happy just simply by being close? He tried not to envy his rival for that kind of closeness.

Murphy was a fantastic person. Jake had never thought anything else, but after Luke, Shan, Saraekiel and now Kerr it was clear to Jake that his extreme flirting was him acting out. He'd cheat eventually. He knew he'd crack, and he knew Murphy deserved better than that. The vampire couldn't say why Murphy had failed to rouse the kind of good feelings Kerr just had - or honestly like even Lazarus had - but it was clear as he reflected back that it had never occurred.

It was a painful realization, but it was almost like medicine he needed to take. He accepted that despite caring for Murphy, and thinking he was a fantastic person, that he didn't love him, or see the potential of loving him. He saw him as a friend more than anything, and it was something he realized he'd been feeling for a while. It somehow cheapened what Lazarus had done to him. Jake had decided to end things with Murphy, but not because he smelt or felt like Lazaurs. It was because Jake realized he wanted different things than what Murphy could provide. He wanted a child. He could treat Murphy like Scott, a ward to take care of, but Murphy had the Sacrament for that. He couldn't ever think of Murphy as his, not the way Sam was his daughter.

He looked to Ben and Kerr, and wanted what they had. He wanted sire and fledgling, but also lovers. He wanted electric passion, and rising tides. He'd learned that men like Lazarus weren't for him, but the other extreme was also true. Murphy had seemed the right candidate because he was everything Lazarus hadn't been. In reality, there were parts of Lazarus worth loving, even now. There were parts of Murphy worth loving too. That was the central problem. Jake needed aspects of both men in one. In some ways, he hoped that when he broke the news to Murphy about how he felt that the other would feel relieved. He doubted it, but he kept thinking that it made Murphy's siring less an act of revenge if the two people targeted weren't so affected by it. Perhaps, if he knew Jake was moving on for a different reason, it would free him to just enjoy being a powerful fledgling. Jake wanted Murphy to remain in his life, and hoped that was possible despite their change in status. Maybe Murphy would think this was all because of his smell, and that Jake was just backing out because of that. Jake hoped not. The lyrics taunted him.

Cause I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

"Don't let me be misunderstood," Jake said aloud. Riley called back to him. "What was that boss?"

"Nothing," he replied, settling into his thoughts. "Nothing at all."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.