Author Topic: Lights Out  (Read 3079 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Lights Out
« on: August 07, 2019, 08:47:02 AM »
“No movement from Alice, over,” came a husky voice. It was the kind of deep base, that not only was heard, but felt. It resonated like a small speaker, and even at a whisper hummed the air.

“Inform us if Alice or the Rabbit show, over,” came a metallic and static voice. A voice changer was being used.

“Copy, over,” Nox said, clicking his walkie off, and resuming his watch. He was up high on the fire escape of a seven story building, chewing on the end of a cigar. He was watching a bar, and crowds of people went in and out. The code word for the bar was Wonderland, the target, Allice, and his fanger employer, the rabbit. Nox had been sent to gather information for home base, and so far had nothing interesting to report. He’d been given limited information about the bar, except that Alice had been in and out, always flanking some pretty boy in black. Nox thought about what he would do to that fanger if he ever got him alone. It was far from pretty.

There was a reason though. He was hurting Alice, convincing him that he was his bodyguard or some shit. It made Nox sick to think that  those people were messing with his friend’s mind. Vampires didn’t care who they hurt, as long as they got what they wanted. Nox had spared too many thoughts wondering what exactly this vampire wanted from the target. Was it sexual? Was it purely for muscle? Was the vampire hurting him? He didn’t know, but assumed yes to all of them. Nox wouldn’t have ever found this place, his rage towards the monsters who inhabit it somehow hiding it from view, but he’d come to the bar before as a guest. He hadn’t told his CO about that.

Nox hit up vampire bars fairly often. He told his CO that it was reconnaissance, but it was really a pattern he needed to break. Vampires were just always drawn to him. Once they were speaking Nox would do anything for them, and he hated the fangers for that too. At least Alice was with vamps and not demons. Nox couldn’t have just sat and taken notes if that was the case. Nox wondered if  they’d spotted him yet. He knew the monsters had people, and his hiding spot was the first place Nox would’ve thought to put a camera. However, he’d been undisturbed, and so either they didn’t know he was here - unlikely - or they were watching him too.

He could escape if he had to, but for now, he just watched. He heard the static of his radio. He pulled it out and pressed the button to talk.

“Repeat, over.”

“Report to the following address. The rabbit has been spotted. The target is not with him, I repeat not with him, over.”

“Copy. Moving to new location. Over.”

Nox climbed down the fire escape, his military training helping to soften his otherwise clunky steps. He wore heavy combat boots, so the metal grating rattled under them. He dropped to the ground, and was greeted by an ugly looking Russian man. They were in an alleyway, concealed to most. If anyone was looking, they’d see what looked like a homeless man begging for change from a drunk bar client. There was nothing out of the ordinary.

“You are not very, how you say… inconspicuous.”

Nox turned and got a better look at him. God he was an ugly mother fucker. He didn’t look inhuman, but had a face like a brick, and thin blond hair that looked like a bad wig. Nox stood tall.

“I don’t know wh-.”

“Yes you do,” Benny told him. “So, I let you go for one reason. I want you to tell the fuckwads who run your hunting club that we are onto them. I want you to tell them that the next time we will spill blood. But, we also have offer, which is the other reason I don’t kill you.”

Nox laughed, looking at the frail ugly man with pity. “You couldn’t if you tried comrade,” he shot back, throwing him a winning smile and flexing his biceps. “I’ll deliver you message, but they don’t want your offers, and I look forward to the next time I see you.”

A gutteral hiss left the ugly looking Russian. “You are confident. I like this. It will make it more satisfying when I drain you.”

Nox made a fist, but the static of the walkie made him relax his hand. He grabbed it.

“Repeat, over.”

“Do not engage the hostile. Move forward with previous programing. Use namesake, over.”

The Russian man’s hands, turned into claws, the thin glamour he wore gone. He was now even uglier, and he somehow looked like a bat. Nox smilled, and lifted his free hand. A blast shot from Nox’s fingers, hitting the vampire in his yellow eyes. Benny stumbled back, surprised, and caught totally off guard. Somehow, the human had blinded him! He leapt to the nearest building, using his hearing and smell to navigate. The vampire slunk away, and Nox blew on his fingers like they were a handgun. His bum was aching from an extra appendage, that very much didn't like being stuffed down a pant leg. He ignored the pain, and pushed the talk button on the walkie.

“Namesake used. Threat dismissed. Moving to requested location, over.”

Nox put away his walkie and moved into the street.. He made his way towards something called the Luminary. He would give the higher ups the vampire’s message, but he hoped the asshole had received his as well. Project Twilight was here to stay. Regular people now stood a chance again.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras