Author Topic: Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)  (Read 611 times)

Online Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
Re: Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2019, 07:39:07 AM »
Dreki had a bit of a sour look on his face even hanging with Drew outside. It was the first time he was actually mad in a long time. He himself didn't liked being talked down to or treated like a child. He hadn't minded Nox at all up until this point, even having been yelled at for a verbal misstep was better than this.

"If I didn't explain anything, I doubt he would have let me go outside. I didn't want him to stop me with physical force because that's something I know I can't really compete with him with," He explained, "Anything I did mention he should have already known. He forced me to give him a schedule and told me that I needed to let him know if anything changes, that in itself is a big enough of a problem. I was going to try and play nice for a while to get him to trust me and not have him worry about my location every second of the day, but if he keeps treating me like I'm helpless I doubt that's going to be anytime soon." He sounded as annoyed as he looked. When the door flew open and Nox said his bits, Dreki only had a short response.

"I'm not a child, there are worse things in the world than a friend." Was all it was. Anger in his voice and face and when perceived that Nox had likely ignored him, Dreki had looked super pissed. He didn't quite take that very well. Sure Nox and Drew very clearly did not get along, and had basically been hostile towards each other the entire time, but being treated as if he wasn't allowed to make his own choices, no matter how minor, wasn't going to fly. He wanted a way to take out his anger, but had nothing, hell, he barely ever got angry to really have any healthy way of managing it. He just stood there, in silence, staring in the direction that Nox left in, with a look like he wanted to chase after Nox and attack him, but clearly knew better against doing so.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2019, 12:26:18 PM »
Dreki was finally mad about something. It was a welcome change. To all his defensive gibber gabber about having to tell Nox shit, I merely shrugged.

"Not how I see it, but you do you." The cherry of my cigarette lit up the night as I went puff, puff, puff. God I love smoking.

I can't relate to sadness, or pity, or understand the complexities of the human condition. My field teaches you to see the worst in people. What is the pile of shit buried under a man's white picket fence? I need to know! My line of work also discourages emotion. It's just the fact's mam, or sir, or whatever pronoun you use.

Anger, however, now that I could relate with, and had a fair amount of it present in my own life. Fuck, anger was the only motivator in me stronger than booze! I didn't move to Dreki, or put a hand on his shoulder, or any of that social worker crap. Instead, I leaned off the wall, and went to grab his hand.

"I can track him," I said, a dark suggestion behind my brown eyes. "Let's see where Rambo goes to blow off a little steam. Perhaps it'll give you an edge the next time he plans on acting like your nanny. Fuck, worst case we lose him and get a drink. We were supposed to hang out tonight."

Tracking Rambo was my preferred option. Dreki needed more fun, and it was about time I show him the PI life. Besides, I had a hunch already about Rambo, and I needed confirmation. 
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Flick Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Online Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2019, 04:54:24 PM »
He almost seemed to be in a trance until he felt his hand was grabbed, and his focus in that one direction was broken. He listened to Drew's suggestion of tracking him and if it didn't work out then drinks. Normally, Dreki would have given Nox his space to calm down and come back with a clearer head, but also normally, Dreki usually wasn't angry either. He remembered some of his training at the facility and how he knew everyone was taught to handle their emotions so at least their opponent couldn't read them while they fought. He had wondered if the facility used Nox's hatred towards the supernatural as an asset and allowed him to come off that aggressively towards them in battle, or if they had attempted to teach him to suppress it at all.

"I have leverage in the fact that he is shit at his job. He shouldn't be letting his emotions getting in the way like that." Dreki stated but then a small smirk appeared on his face, "That being said, I'm feeling especially petty tonight. I'm not a solider like he is, so really, who cares if my emotions are fueling this, lead the way, lets track him." There was a cold callousness to his voice, and while Dreki didn't know exactly what the facility considered him as, he knew for sure it wasn't a solider or a scientist. He was never on the front lines, he was never told to go and attack anyone and he never preformed experiments. His best guess is that he was some kind of a medic given his powers, and given other's powers, he figured it was pretty common for people to being able to heal themselves without his help most of the time.

He would follow Drew and whatever basic orders he would give while Tracking Nox. He knew Drew to be the expert and wouldn't want to get caught by Nox at all. The stress of the situation had caused his stomach to hurt, which stress was another thing Hofflan told him to avoid as much of as possible, but Dreki simply didn't care that it hurt right now. He was too angry to really be bothered by it, and hadn't even noticed it so far. He wondered how Nox blew off steam, his honest guess was that Nox likely found a 24 hour gym and would exercise until dawn. Such an answer would bore him, and he hoped that this would be more intertaining than his guess.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2019, 05:57:25 AM »
I wasn't swayed by Dreki's assurance he already had leverage. Plenty of people who are shit at their jobs keep staying employed. Hell, think of the DMV. I didn't say that though. Dreki was too defensive for advice, and I could do him one better by getting him actual leverage. Besides, I'm sure the assholes who put Nox there knew all about his temper. It was likely intentional. I told Dreki to change, striking a balance between professional and casual. I didn't know where Nox would be going but didn't want to be denied entry because Dreki wasn't wearing a shirt with buttons. I had a nifty vampire trick to take care of my problem. Once the proper threads were adorned, I walked us to my bike, handing Dreki a helmet.

"Here," I said. "I don't need one, but don't let anybody tell you I don't care about your health." Once Dreki's helmet was on, and he'd wrapped his hands around my waist, I started the engine. "Okay, I've been working on this one for months."

With that I closed my eyes and started to concentrate. First, I made us vanish from view, including my bike, but then I deafened us to the world. We were now invisible and silent and I started driving us towards the direction Nox had stormed off. Within a few minutes, I spotted him heading east and south. Dreki and I couldn't really talk, as he heard the bike's engine just fine, but talking wasn't needed at this earlier juncture. Eventually, I figured out where he was going.

Venture was one of two big vampire clubs in the city, the other of course being the White Rabbit. This institution was known for pretty humans, sober as priests, waiting to be picked up by pretty, boring vampires. My rage from what happened to Zeph surfaced and my grip on the bike's handles threatened to break them. I stopped about a block away. I could see Nox approaching the barrier that kept out the rabble. Surely, he'd be repelled from entering. However, he just walked right in, even said hi to a staff person outside smoking. He'd been here before.

"We're going in to a vampire bar," I told Dreki. I took off the helmet, revealing flattened hair. "Just trust me," I said, before fixing it with my hands.

"There, you look just like the kind of bait that does well in these bars. Go in before me. I'm not sure if I can cloak in here, so I'm not going to try it. We'll meet up once I have a good view of Nox. Find a table, and look yummy. I'll intervene if you need."

Once I knew Dreki was on board with the plan, I'd send him on in. If Nox saw him the jig was up, but I had a feeling I'd have to stroll the booths to find Dreki's new friend.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Flick Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Online Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2019, 11:17:24 AM »
Dreki had gone back up. He had removed his vest, and unbuttoned two buttons on his shirt. He then did somethi g he felt would help out a bit more with everything and removed his feeding tube. If they were going to tail Nox, it might be for the best that he doesn't allow himself to be obvious. It was a very uncomfortable feeling but left it on the bathroom floor near the toilet. Knowing he can just explain that the stress of how Nox and Drew handled each other and how Nox had treated him made him sick and vomiting made it loose or come out was a realistic situation. Leaving it on the floor isn't something he'd normally do except to push the whole 'I really wasn't feeling well' narrative on Nox, after all, if one was really not feeling well, they tended to do things they didn't normally do. He removed his ponytail and left his hair down for this.

When he came back down, he mounted himself on Drew's bike and held on kind of tightly. It was his first time being on such a thing that it was kind of nerve-racking at first. He was surprised that Drew had a helmet if he didn't need it, but the comment of caring made by Drew, made him smile, and he nodded at it. He also cared about his health, and had been doing research to better understand what was going on with him. He could understand Nox's concern, but also understood it was a bit on the extreme end, and that it wasn't a fully informed decision. He watched them passby Nox and even Nox enter the bar. It was in a way interesting to him, because honestly he figured that Nox would just go to a gym, and not a vampire bar.

He felt Drew remove the helmet, the intrigue in what was happening and the whole excitement of riding on a motorcycle had been distracting. He hadn't quite expected Drew to tousle his hair, but didn't really mind it, when Drew explained using him kind of as bait he smiled.

"I'll do what I can" he smiled knowing that acting like he's looking for something like a one night stand would be pretty easy, after all, he used to do that all the time anyway. He was confident in this as he walked to the bar, going inside. While making his way in and to a table he thought about what other drinks look clear, particularly in regards to alcohol. He figured if he was going to look the part, he might as well get a cup of water, but pretend it wasn't. He was told his blood tasted as if it was always kind of alcoholic in nature so he could easily pass that off anyway. He got a cup of sparkling water, but had it made to look like a gin and tonic, giving the bartender a good tip for doing so, making sure to keep away from Nox. He sat at a table, looking the part, waiting for Drew.