Author Topic: Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)  (Read 11704 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 07:48:05 AM »
Nox stopped taking groceries out of the bag, and looked at Dreki for a long time. He didn't know what to make of the guy, other than he looked seriously depressed. Then again, after meeting Dr. Dracula Nox could understand why. Within a few seconds he started unloading things again, and began searching for a frying pan.

"No test," he said evenly. "I'm just making some for myself, and it's an easy recipe to double."

He didn't address Dreki's other points, for the moment at least. He seemed intent on finishing this small beat before moving on to other things. They needed to meet and go over the rules, but it didn't have to be unpleasant.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 07:54:27 AM »
He decided to go out on a limb and give Nox a chance, if anything this would be a test for him, as he knew if he disobeyed one of Hofflan's medical orders that he would get scolded for it if Hofflan ever found out. Hell, once he woke up after being brought back to the facility after collapsing he had gotten quite the earful as it was.

"Sure, I'll take one then." He said as he sat down at the kitchen table with his book, and began to read. He payed attention to the noises of the cooking food as he let Nox make him a meal. He was clear by his tone he wasn't fully trusting but was trying to give Nox a chance. He wondered what kind of cook Nox was as he payed attention to his book. He knew himself to be a not bad cook when he actually made himself food, but he wondered if Nox was better, or worse, or about the same as him.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 03:53:26 AM »
Nox nodded slowly, not adding any other dialogue as he cooked. He kept a spare eye on Dreki, learning his posture, how he flipped a page of a book, where -if any place - his eyes went. As he did so, he chopped up peppers, onions, and the ham. It was the exact same size, almost cubed. Then six eggs were cracked into a cereal bowl he found, and he used a fork as a whisk. The unique sound of eggs swishing about as Nox scrambled them was the loudest noise in the apartment.

The soldier then poured the mixture into the frying pan, the deep sizzle making him smile. The smells that filled the room were rich, and aromatic. Nox added in pepper, a touch of salt, and cayenne. At the right time mark, Nox did something almost whimsical and flipped the omelet by tossing it in the air with the pan. It spun about before landing squarely back in the pan. Nox only cooked this side for a moment, before doing the classic omelet fold, and turning off the heat. He gave Dreki the first plate, but quickly fixed his own. Seeing the coffee left, he turned his head towards Dreki.

"This for me," he asked, before quickly remembering. "The coffee I mean."

Once he got his answer, he would join Dreki at the table with coffee or not. He was going to bring up the schedule stuff, but not until after they'd shared a meal.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 04:29:56 AM »
Dreki seemed to use mostly his right thumb and index finger for reading, his eyes seemingly unfocused and without the intense look they had when focusing. Of which happened when he turned a page, his eyes would look at the book to do that, then kind of stared ahead of him when just reading. He had a rather proper and polite posture, but then again he was a piano player and it mostly came from that. When given his plate, he put the book face down on the table, but waited to eat, mostly to wait for Nox to join him at the table.

"Oh, yeah feel free to have the rest. I just wanted the formula to be warmer the room temperature, so I'm not likely to finish it." He mentioned, figuring it was only polite to share his coffee since Nox is sharing his food with him. "Thanks for making me food." He said before he took a bite. He had mostly proper manners, but didn't go as far as putting his napkin on his lap. With how he held his fork and knife, it was clear he was left handed. He took a bite once he knew Nox was settled and it was pretty good. Something he could for sure eat, turned out Nox wasn't a horrible cook, but then again it did take effort to fuck up eggs. However at some point his eating slowed down a bit. He had felt a tinge of pain from his stomach, not anywhere near bad as it had been the past few weeks or so, but enough for him to remember his stomach was unhappy and healing. It wasn't enough to get him to stop eating.

"Thank you." He said when finished eating, he picked up his plate and utensils and offered to take Nox's. "Since you cooked, I should clean." He offered, holding out his scared left hand awaiting the plate.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 03:39:09 PM »
Nox sipped the coffee Dreki saved him, appreciate of the gesture. It made him all the happier he'd cooked breakfast for them both. Now, at the table and with full belies, Nox moved into the more official conversations that needed to happen. He decided to be as kind as possible, especially after his little outburst. However, he also needed to be firm, or risk earning Dr. Hofflan's ire.

He cleared his throat to grab Dreki's attention from his book, and his posture became rigid and tall. He folded his hands on the table quietly, almost delicately, while somehow still looking strong and intimidating.

"I need to see you at least once a day," he began. "I need a copy of your weekly schedule. If your plans change, text me your location. If you need an extraction due to your health or abilities call me. If you are in danger, call me. Do not take risks. Don't miss your appointments, and don't fuck with me. If you do what they're asking of you, then we can get along fine. I don't want you to feel like a prisoner, and I didn't like how he treated you when we came here. I shouldn't be telling you that. Just... don't give me a reason to come down on you, and I won't. Deal?"

He crossed his arms over his chest as he waited for a reply.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2019, 11:14:05 PM »
He had finished cleaning the dishes, setting them off to dry, and had walked back to the table to read when Nox got his attention. He listened to what Nox had to say and it sounded reasonable for someone in their position. It did surprise him when Nox mentioned his displeasure at Hofflan treated him. He wasn't used to others really seeing their interactions, and that was Hofflan being nicer to him than other times. He was in a way surprised that Nox wasn't asking him to turn on locations on his phone and constantly share it with him, but it was a nice reprieve. It felt like Nox was trying to show Dreki some trust and allowing him to prove himself, realizing that Nox was trying to be true in allowing Dreki to not feel like a prisoner.

"Sure, I can put something together for you and have it for you later today." He thought for a moment, then let out "I actually didn't mind how he treated me this time around. It was one of his nicer days." He mentioned, hinting at possible abuse. "Sure this situation is far from ideal, and I would have liked to have a heads up on getting a roommate so I could have cleaned some, but really, he just doesn't want me to die so I can't really fault him for that." He got up from the table, walked into the living room, grabbed his laptop from the coffee table and brought it to the kitchen table. Made it easier work from, sitting wise at least. His apartment was very clean so any form of cleaning would seem probably overkill, at worst there was a pile of books near the big beanbag chair in his living room.

It was apparent that he was working on the schedule right then and there, making it was detailed as possible with names of places, addresses, and sometimes even contacts if needed. Mon-Wed and Friday held to the same schedule. He'd wake up at 6am, get ready and go to the highschool job, then come back home around 2pm, take a nap until 6pm, then get up and get ready for his college job. After he teaches, he goes to their library and read a bit before heading home no later than 2am, sometimes earlier, to sleep and continue the next day. Thursday was one of his days off from his college job. He noted that his nap lasted a bit longer, and errands would vary. Sometimes he'd go out to drink at a bar, go grocery shopping, go to a library which could either be the public one, or the one at his job, sometimes head to the music store to get things for his instruments. It was mentioned if he did leave, he'd be back before 2am, so he could sleep. He also mentioned he would text Nox letting him know as it could be situational.

For his weekends, he almost wasn't sure what to put other than run errands, same as what he could do on Thursday. He was forced to quit his weekend job after all. He made note that he normally woke up at 9am on his weekends, so he did sleep in a little, and that sometimes he'd come home as late as 5am depending on what he was doing that night. Also mentioned he took a nap sometime in the afternoon. He mentioned that in semi-rare occasions he will bring home someone to 'enjoy' and while he has mostly quit having one night stands, sometimes he can't help it and wants more companionship for a little while.

It took him maybe all of 10 minutes to explain all of this, and once typed up he printed it out to his only printer, that was in his room and would hand it to Nox. It looked like a page out of a planner, and was all laid out very cleanly and easy to read. It was clear that Dreki wouldn't be purposefully impeding Nox's job at the very least. In a way, Dreki hoped the more willing he was to give up info, would allow some laxness to the whole thing, and maybe allow Dreki to visit and speak with people without Nox concerned about it after some time has past. He still didn't feel up for talking to Nox about his wanting to be free.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2019, 03:45:54 AM »
Nox didn't say anything, but clearly Dreki didn't know how badly he was being abused by this guy. Nox suddenly wondered if HQ had okayed this request so Nox could keep an eye on Dreki, or if it was so Nox could keep an eye on Dr. Hofflan. He'd be reporting his observations to Agent Waters, and while she lacked the clearance to reprimand the scientist, she could pass it along to someone who could. Nox didn't mind how they treated the animals they captured. However, Dreki was human. He deserved better than this. Nox kept all this in. He knew telling an abused person how abused they are wasn't helpful, and so instead was just polite.

"You know him better than I do," he said, saying something factual but that was otherwise devoid of context.

While Dreki worked up his schedule, Nox worked out! He did pushups, crunches, oblique twists, handstands, shoulder presses against a wall, and used a portable bar to do pullups. At this point Dreki would see the outline of Nox's tail. It was thick, and started at his natural tailbone, the flesh coloring changing  near the tale's base. It had a spade tip, and seemed to move naturally with him, like it was just another limb.

As Dreki handed over his schedule, Nox moved to standing position, and had a thin gleam of sweat. His eyes traveled over it quickly and seeing nothing out of the ordinary placed it in his room. He would copy it into a planner he had later. He only had a few more questions for now.

"Who do you see socially, and how much do they know about Project Twilight?"

His tone was even and open, but that deep voice made everything he said sound intimidating.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2019, 05:44:31 AM »
Dreki had known already that Hofflan was abusive towards him, but was also aware that there wasn't much he could do about it, except hope that he was in one of his better moods when dealing with him. He was worried about Emma though, while he had never seen Hofflan act like shit towards Emma, he'd never know what happens behind the scenes. While he walked over to Nox was the first time he noticed the tail. He didn't comment on it after what happened the night before. When he was asked about his social life, he felt a little embarrassed, mostly because he didn't have much of one, but also because they knew quite a bit, one in particular more than the others.

"Well, there is two people I really see on a social level, both are aware I'm part Angel but not to what extent." He explained, telling the truth in his words, even if they could be taken to mean 'about project twilight' or 'how much of him is really Angel', "To be fair both times came out by accident. First one is a Vampire named Drew, he's fed from me and picked it up in my blood, it was, uhhh a consensual moment. He's a closer friend of mine, so much so that he plans to come over tonight to meet you. I referred to you as my roommate, and he just wants to make sure that you're ok." He looked kind of embarrassed at that, implying that there was more to it than just feeding. While it wasn't straight up sex, it was an intimate event. He used this in a to hope that Nox would rationalize any doubt about the event as embarrassment of talking to a stranger about intimate things, rather than it just being a half truth.

"The second is a human girl named Ash. A mugger approached us, but as a homeless beggar at first, we told him we didn't have anything on us to give him, and he went for her with a knife. She didn't get hurt at all because I jumped inbetween them, but I was stabbed twice. Caused my wings to show, and luckily no one else was on the street but us. Couldn't really hide it from her at that point." He was truthful in that last bit.

He didn't bother to bring up Sam at all since Sam had long ended that, not only by ignoring him for a couple of weeks, but then asking another man out. While he wasn't sure if he should know about Sam's date, so he would never mentioned to Sam he heard this first. He also didn't bring up Rohan, since he didn't hang out with the Bartender on a social level. He was answering Nox's questions and trying to give enough info for Nox to be satiated without putting anyone in danger. Drew's words rang out in his mind the entire time "keep it to yourself, otherwise you can cause trouble for others" and now really grasping the gravity of his situation, and that he really needs to escape from it all sooner rather than later. Not just for himself or Emma anymore, but for his friends, and to not fear making new ones.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2019, 05:15:18 AM »
Nox didn't like the idea of Dreki being around a vampire. They were exploitative bastards, and this Drew was probably using him in one way or another. Nox almost told him that Drew was off the list of acceptable people, but then Dreki informed him Drew was coming over. Drew wanted to check out Nox. How fucking rich was that shit. The Fanger was going to make sure he was okay for Dreki? Well, Nox decided he'd love to meet him. He listened as Dreki explained the rest of his social life, the second person sounding less interesting and much more safe. He nodded his understanding. He would mention the wing incident to Dr. Hofflan, if he didn't already know.

Nox dismissed Dreki for now. They spent the rest of their days doing whatever they wished. Nox went out and bought a whole iron gym setup and some more clothes, returning and assembling the gym in his room. He also thought a little about decor, and ordered a new lamp and some posters online. It wasn't much, but it was a start. Then he worked out a bunch more, getting his needed reps and sets before showering and changing into fresh jeans and a tight T-shirt. At the appointed time, he moved back into the kitchen and waited for Drew to knock.

Dreki had a roommate now? I got the message midway through a movie with Zeph. We'd fed and fucked respectively earlier, and while we both wanted another bite before bed, I was currently feeding Zeph while he explained the film, head on my lap. He looked perfect. I replied I'd come tomorrow, and to be safe, before playing with Zeph's hair as he fell asleep. The next night, Zeph was gone. He'd had dance class, and knew I preferred to work the earlier part of the evening. Seeing Dreki wasn't work, but this was a development in his case. This new roomie might spill some secrets if I played my cards right.

I got to Dreki's with no issue; my bike was now parked outside, and covered with a drop cloth in case it rained. I was dressed as I always dress, jeans, boots, tank top, and beanie. In the pocket of my leather jacket was a pair of brass knuckles, just in case things got heated. As I got to the door, I checked my teeth real quick and then smiled, presenting two beautiful fangs for the bodyguard. I knocked loudly. 

- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2019, 06:37:19 AM »
Dreki had noticed Nox's displeasure of the idea of Drew. It was very subtle, and the response Nox gave, almost seemed like Nox wanted to say 'No, I'll make sure Drew is ok for you.' type of emotion. This didn't surprise Dreki given how Nox reacted to the idea of not being human, but it definitely made him concerned. The general stoic nature of the two made them kind of feel similar to one another, and honestly Dreki was not looking forward to tonight. When Nox dismissed him, he went to his room. He sent Drew a text with two bits of info. First being, to not mention to Nox that he is anything but human, the second being that he told Nox, that he 'found out' that Dreki is Angel from feeding on him, and knows nothing else.

He laid in his bed and took a nap soon after, as his schedule had dictated he would. After he woke up he got to cleaning, there honestly wasn't much that needed to be done but somehow Dreki found plenty to do. He put the books away, vacuumed, dusted the entire place including his room, cleaned the entire bathroom and kitchen. The only room he didn't touch was Nox's room. After the mass cleaning, he took a shower. It had all tired him out sufficiently given how he was still recovering, but he knew he wasn't leaving home and thus should be fine. He dressed in his normal attire of a dress shirt, complete with undershirt, vest, slacks, and nice black socks. The only white pieces of clothing where his shirts, everything else was black. It was easier for him to match this way. He put his hair up in a low braid, then sat at the table awaiting for Drew to finally appear. Once he heard the knocking, he got up, put his book down, walked to the door, and opened it.

"Hello Drew, welcome to my home" he spoke with a warm smile, and backed away opening the door wide, allowing Drew inside. Dreki likely looked worse for ware. He couldn't see it himself, but he was paler than his usual pale self was, looked tired much like how he felt, and the feeding tube still showed it's end from his nose, taped to his cheek with medical grade fabric tape. It didn't occur to him that Drew had no idea what he had gone through this past week, but also realized that he should try to come up with an answer if Drew asked. That's when it occurred to him explaining that he had a medical emergency but would be fine by weeks end, and that he'd explain more later, would probably be the best answer for that for now. Once Drew was in, he shut the door behind him and wondered if Nox would appear on his own, or if he had to knock on the door.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2019, 10:36:21 AM »
So this was Dreki's place? Well, it was better than mine, but then again who's wasn't. I moved into the room and quickly looked over this Nox. He wasn't a bad looking guy, but was too beefy for my taste. I liked them more like Zeph and Dreki. He was staring at me hard, definitely trying to promote strength. I wasn't impressed, and could handle him being around if he was really just a body guard. I'd need to talk to Dreki about him privately - and look into his background thoroughly - but this first visit was just for an initial feeling, and to let the facility know; someone is on to them.

"Hey Nox I'm Drew," I introduced, shooting gun fingers his direction and flashing a bit of fang. He tensed visibly, and for a moment I thought that would be all it took to get his blood going. However, he relaxed and extended a hand for me to shake. I reluctantly took it, and made the mistake of trying to show my strength. Mother fucker practically crushed my hand. I felt my face twitch in pain, but I said nothing. I'm no little bitch.

"Nice to meet a friend of Dreki's," was the toy solider's reply. "Should we all sit," he added. I found a chair, taking off my leather jacket and placing it over the back. I waited for Dreki to sit down before moving forward with the conversation. I turned my head to Dreki.

"Mind if I have one cigarette," I begged. "The cops made me put mine out on the train," I explained.

"He can't have smoke in the apartment," Nox interrupted. He looked offended somehow that I'd want to smoke. He was probably straight edge or some shit.

I turned my head slowly, locking eyes with a changeling gaze. "I didn't ask you," I explained, turning back to hear Dreki's answer. I could feel Rambo's fury from here.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2019, 01:04:27 PM »
Dreki had payed close attention to how they interacted with one another, finding amusement in Drew's display with the finger guns, however concern in Nox's reaction to that, it was a rather awkward moment, mostly made that way by Nox's tensing. He kept a rather neutral look on his face as he paid attention to them introducing themselves. The handshake seemed awkward in it's own right, noticing Drew's pointer finger being forced upwards by the smallest bit by the force Nox used. He wondered if Nox went at it a little too hard or if Drew's finger tendons were that short. After all in most normal handshakes, such a thing wouldn't be noticeable.

Dreki followed them and sat down with them with Nox suggesting that they all do so, wondering what Nox's or even Drew's gameplans were. Dreki was about to allow Drew to smoke, until Nox interrupted. He closed his eyes, for a moment there was a furrow on his brow, and the corners of his mouth almost like a smirk, but the expression came off as annoyed in that small moment. He didn't want to cause trouble with Nox first and foremost, as it would likely get back to Hofflan. At the same time he didn't want Drew to have to go without his vices either, as weird as it was for a vampire to want a smoke. They didn't really need to breathe, although everything tasting like ash to them anyway probably wouldn't make a difference on how the cigarette tasted, or at least he assumed as such given how he wasn't a smoker and had no idea of it's taste beyond ash. He decided on something that would play well into at least Drew talking to him alone, so he hoped anyway, and a good enough of an excuse as to why to not smoke indoors.

"I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's Disease," He started, which technically wasn't a lie. Sure it was brought on by Graft versus Host disease, the treatment for both was the same with suppressing the immune system, and also explained the feeding tube, even though Drew hadn't pointed it out publicly between them all.  He also did not sound annoyed, but if anything was trying to be polite. "Nox has a point in that cigarette smoke is bad for me healthwise right now, so in an enclosed space, probably not a good idea. That being said, if you want to go outside to enjoy a smoke, I'll go with you and keep you company." He said in hopes that it would allow for moments of him and Drew to be alone, away from Nox, unless Nox decided to go with them. He then looked at Nox, "Don't worry, I'm not a smoker, you would have found out by now if I was, and outside is more than well ventilated." He was trying reassure him that it would be fine. Hopefully enough to allow him to speak with Drew alone, but if Nox decided to follow, he really wouldn't be able to stop him either.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2019, 04:31:35 AM »
Dreki was learning that we shouldn't talk openly in front of Rambo, or others. It was almost like he took my advice from An Tsi to heart. Imagine that, a person who hears sound advice and follows it. I wasn't prepared to hear about Crohn's Disease and can't pretend I know what it is. I think it's something about bloody poop, but honestly I got that from a TV commercial for some medication. Sometimes I felt like Dreki talked about the details of his health so much because these people had taken away his ability to form opinions about anything else. His whole life had been waiting for the next doctor's appointment.

I did take the comment it as a polite no, and also liked the idea of getting away from the pig. As a former cop I can tell you, cops are fucking pigs! It's why I went Private Eye instead of working for the Black Prince. Official power is officially corrupting.

"No," Rambo interjected. He turned to look at Dreki. "I'm supposed to be keeping you healthy and I can't let you be around smoke, or a supernatural, unsupervised." Now Rambo turned to me. "You can go smoke outside. It's not going to kill you, right?"

Well, well, well; Rambo had balls. I don't like to be talked down to, or have it implied I don't care about Dreki's health. I do.

"Or maybe he's so unhealthy because your pet scientist's keep doing all those experiments on him, pig." He looked dumbstruck for the moment. Good. It was nice to shut up a uniform. Dreki wouldn't find himself as a person as long as the government was poking him, and this guy was their current face. Did I really just write 'find himself as a person?' I need to get drunk.

"What did you call -." I cut him off.

"I think I'll take that smoke now," I interrupted. "Dreki, you coming?"

Nox's head looked ready to explode. His eyes were very easy to stare at though. Despite the hostile nature of our conversation, I couldn't help but feel at ease when I looked into them. It was a clue.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2019, 09:00:50 AM »
Well this had certainty taken a turn. Dreki did remember telling Drew that he specifically told Nox that Drew knew he was an angel, but not how he came to be. He also remembered Hofflan saying that due to his current health he should have a roommate. He took that to mean that Nox was to watch him, and Nox having asked for his schedule and that if plans change to let him know asap, he took it to mean that if he had another medical emergency, that Nox could grab him instead of having a stranger call for an ambulance if he was in public and if he was at home that it wouldn't go unnoticed and him potentially die from it. He had no idea of what else Hofflan had asked of Nox but keeping away from supernaturals didn't quite seem to be on that list either. He felt a dull pain start in his stomach.

"Nox, when I start going back to work in a couple of days, you're aware I take public transportation or ride-sharing services right? Legally I'm not allowed a driver's licence, I'm blind. If someone at the bus stop, or my driver, decides to have a smoke, I'm not going to tell a complete stranger or someone who is nice enough to give me a ride in their car, to not smoke. I can however move further away from them at the bus stop or ask the driver to roll down a window if they haven't. Drew isn't going to blow smoke directly in my face, otherwise I'd get mad at him. He knows that. I also don't expect you to chauffeur me around, as I can get around on my own." In that last phrase, Dreki did assert some from of dominance. He disliked not having some form of independence, he disliked being treated as if he was incapable of doing things that he could normally do. He hated being underestimated.

"Plus one of my jobs is exclusively for those who are supernatural or in the know about them. You can't follow me to class every single day, I'm sure you're going to end up being an emergency contact of mine and if something happens they would call you, but you can't just roam around in there all of the time without being part of the school. I'd have to be around them 4 days a week unsupervised anyway. If one of Hofflan's requests really was to have you make sure I wasn't around supernaturals unsupervised then he would have had me quit that job and not the one where I teach English to foreigners. I get you don't like supernaturals, that's fine, but do not impose your own feelings about them upon my life as if your word is law, because it isn't." He name dropped Hofflan since Drew already gave up any hiding of him knowing a bit anyway. He certainly sounded annoyed in most of this, instead of being polite. He knew he had valid points, and really felt as if Nox was overstepping what he was there to do, despite understanding that there is a good chance he doesn't know Nox's full instructions, but he knew well enough that Nox's feelings were getting in the way just based on what he had just explained.

"I'm going to outside with Drew. I'd be a rude host and terrible friend if I didn't. Go ahead and tell Hofflan, I'm sure at most he'll have issue with is me being defiant towards you, but at the same time, I refuse to be treated as a child, or that I can't do anything on my own." He then look towards Drew. "Let's go" he simply said as he stood up and went for his jacket and keys, knowing that if Nox stopped him from grabbing either of those he'd just leave without them. The dull pain in his stomach was now more noticeable and his annoyance with the whole situation that just happened for sure showed on his face. Even he had his buttons to not be pressed, even if he wasn't as explosive in his tone as Nox could be when one of those buttons were pressed.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2019, 03:19:26 AM »
There was something close to simmering rage building up in Rambo. He didn't appear to enjoy being talked down to like that, and I relished in his discomfort. Dreki really needed to learn saying less was more, and I earmarked like five things I wish he hadn't told Nox, but I wasn't about to interrupt Dreki standing up for himself. It was nice to see something from him other than pain. I can fuck with rage on a personal level, and I will happily watch it thrown at someone who isn't me. Surprisingly, it calmed my own. I didn't need to get in Rambo's face if Dreki was capable. After all, I didn't live here.

I followed quietly, winking at Rambo as I exited the apartment, closing the door behind us. I pulled out a fresh sin stick and lit it, letting the warm smoke fill my lungs. Ignited, artificial heat was still better than the room temperature feeling I had most of the time. Now alone, although I suspected Rambo was listening somehow, Dreki and I could talk.

"You did good kid," I complimented, because he needed to be encouraged to be his own person. "You gave him too much information though."

I mean, for me it was pretty nice. I took a quick drag, and let the smoke billow around my head. "He's going to be a big problem," I hypothesized.

We didn't have to wait very long before the door flew open, and Nox exited the apartment swearing and cursing.

"I'm going out," he told Dreki. "I'll be putting all this in my initial report. I'm just trying to keep you safe, but fuck me right?" He turned to me now, eyes full of venom despite how disarming they were.

"Fuck you fanger," he yelled, before stomping off into the night. He ignored any words Dreki might say to him as he stormed off.

"He's got a temper," I informed my friend. "Can't hate him for that." The pure rage and fuck you attitude reminded me of someone.... me. Maybe he should take up drinking.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.