Author Topic: The Boy  (Read 11872 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: The Boy
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 02:37:34 AM »
Kerr pulled a disbelieving face at the unwarranted compliment. "No I'm not," he snorted, finding the notion of elaborating on exactly why he wasn't 'nice' to be such an uncomfortable prospect that he got up and walked away from where he'd sat to watch Jake eat.

He walked over to the three seater couch that faced the glass walls, sitting at one end and staring ruminatively out at the skyline while his tongue twisted this way and that in his mouth. One leg was tucked under him, his feet bare, his arm resting on the couch's end so that he could rub his hand across his stubbly hair.

He'd found watching Jake consume his food with such gusto an almost erotic affair in its wolfish enthusiasm and though he had many questions for the boy, he found himself uncharacteristically unsettled by what he'd watched. Maybe it was the fact that he'd witnessed such a simple act of satisfaction occur, a hunger sated in a way he wasn't sure he'd ever get again. Was it envy? A lust for something unattainable that Jake the asshole had somehow achieved, yet he couldn't? How the fuck was he mortal? Goddamn he burned to know.

"How far back do you remember?" he asked huskily, turning his head to look over at Jake. There was a light on over the dining table but the rest of the lounge was lit only by the city outside their walls. It was unlikely Jake was able to make out any details in Kerr's expression in the dim and he preferred it that way - though he expected the ingenue would come closer at the summons of his question. Perhaps he'd sit in the couch across from him so that he was able to make out some of Kerr's expression, though beside him was probably a smarter option.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 04:43:38 AM »
Ryan felt anxious as Kerr walked away. His heartbeat a little faster, and his breath was just a touch shorter. What had he said? Had his compliment been wrong? Did he offend Kerr? He didn't want to go back to the streets tonight. Ryan finished his meal, temporarily distracted by the warm bitterness of the coffee. He'd almost forgotten about his earlier feelings of unease, but then Kerr struck a nerve.

How far back do you remember...

Remember. Memory. These words haunted him like phantoms, almost as real as the shadow under his bed, or the dark woman with her cruel smile. He spent most of the time he wasn't surviving trying to remember, and he'd come up with so little. He wiped his face and hands, freeing them of food, and found among the pile of food a breath mint. He popped it and began to suck as he worked his way over to where Kerr now sat. Ryan chose the seat next to Kerr, and instantly laid his head on vampire's exposed shoulder. Grateful hands wrapped themselves around Kerr's torso.

"I don't know," he answered. "The farthest back I can go is about six months. The first couple of days were terrifying. I just knew I had to survive so I did. The thing that sticks out is a man. He had golden skin, and long blonde hair. I also remember blood, on my mouth. Then, I was thrown out onto the streets. I found that bar within a few days, and I camp out there. It feels safe I guess. I heard they don't know what to do with the building so figured I could squat there for a while."

He seemed to grow quieter as he spoke, and his fatigue was starting to overtake him again. Kerr was cold to the touch still, but very comfy to lay on. He closed his eyes, and saw the snickering man with blond hair. 
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 04:49:33 PM »
Kerr was startled when Jake cosied up to him, resting his head upon him and wrapping his arms around his body. He tensed in the mortal's hold, gritting his teeth as his scent and warmth washed over him. He smelt so clean and new, Kerr's nostrils flared to inhale as much of him as he could, even though he knew he had to resist.

He needed Jake to trust him. That meant taking no advantage of him. This man was a prize that had fallen into Kerr's lap because whatever gods had deigned to watch over him were rewarding him and it wouldn't do to spit in their eye(s). He suspected he could coax the boy to take his gaudy ring off and then he could just find out everything he wanted to know but if he connected Jake's mind up to the central processor in that pretty head of his, he couldn't guarantee compliance afterwards. He needed to nurture loyalty first, establish a new and independent relationship between them that could trump whatever memories surfaced once he started messing with Jake's mind.

They hadn't been friends and the second Jake remembered that, Kerr would lose all advantage and control of the situation (he wasn't sure what he hoped to accomplish by having control of Jake but he thought it would be worth it). He needed patience and finesse right now. He also needed to fight his own weakness for warm, pliant boys.

Swivelling so that he was facing 'Ryan', Kerr carefully extricated his skinny arms from his body and pushed him slightly away, his hands as gentle on Jake's upper arms as he could manage - while still moving them apart on the couch. "I need to talk to you," he said quietly, "and I can't have you falling asleep, so sit up, okay?" he crooned, releasing Jake's biceps, lifting his own arm to rest it along the back of the couch while the other hand slid into the crook of his bent knee, grasping his thigh through his jeans. When he got acknowledgement from Jake that he was listening, he continued.

"I don't know who that man is but I know that your living situation isn't safe. Squatting in the shell of a building is no way to live. I want to look after you and, hopefully, I can help your body and mind heal enough that your memory comes back, just by giving you somewhere safe and comfortable to live. You might have family somewhere that are looking for you, so the sooner you focus on looking after yourself, the better," Kerr said with convincing sympathy plastered all over his face.

Of course Jake had no family looking for him - they'd all perished over two hundred years ago! - but it was a logical thing to say to an amnesiac street urchin and Kerr needed to show he cared. Frankly, a petty part of him did care about Jake getting stronger and older. Who knew what the Black Prince of yore might look like with some sun-ageing and a bit more muscle? He might even get taller and less pretty. That wouldn't be so bad.

"I don't want anything from you in exchange, all I ask is that you follow my house rules and work on getting healthy, do you think that's something you'd be interested in doing?" he asked kindly, wanting Jake to agree before he launched into his expectations.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 04:10:00 AM »
Ryan did as he was told and sat up, but he looked eager to return to the safety of Kerr's lap. He listened as the older man explained his living situation wasn't safe. He knew he was right, and that a place like this was far better, but he felt weirdly defensive over the burned out space. Maybe it was because he'd been staying there for so long that it felt like home. He reflected how sad that sounded, and opted not to tell Kerr. He wouldn't go back to the bar, not to sleep anyway. The next parts of Kerr's words were more confusing, and left Ryan wondering something important.

Family. He had no family, but the images of the redhead, the blonde girl, and the large woman all entered his mind. Was that his family? He should tell Kerr about the images, but could he trust this man? It made him feel the need to ask what Kerr wanted from all of this. Some voice whispered to him from within his shattered mind.

Nothing is free

"Why," he asked suddenly. "I mean, not why do you have expectations. I get that. I just.. I just don't get why you want to help me so bad. Is it because you and Jake were friends?"

He talked about Jake as if he was a different person, because to Ryan he had to be. It was hard to be someone you couldn't remember, and he still couldn't refer to himself as this person Kerr seemed to think he was.

Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2019, 01:59:14 AM »
Kerr was startled by the insightful question but did his best to keep his expression neutral, his mind scrambling for an answer. He very quickly realised it wasn't in his best interests to lie because, eventually, he expected he'd help Jake restore his memories (unless this was some sort of strange clone situation). He wouldn't want to lose influence over Jake and shatter the trust he expected to foster by being found perpetuating an untruth.

"Actually... the opposite," he admitted with a wince. "Jake and I were friends once, long ago, but then we became petty enemies, caught up in disliking each other. All because we were political opponents. When I won the election and became District Leader, our relationship soured even farther and was severed irrevocably when Jake disappeared, presumed dead. Helping you is what I believe the gods want me to do, in retribution. I need to balance the cosmic scale and make up for my appalling behaviour, to set things right. I believe you can help me do that. I just have to hope I have enough time to make a good impression before your memory returns and you're overcome with hatred for me again."

He reached over and took Jake's hand tentatively, holding it between his and giving the deliciously-warm mortal a hopeful look. "It sounds intimidating, I know, but I believe we can find our way back to our friendship again. I believe it's worth trying, at the least. What do you think? Will you help me find redemption?" he asked with large, innocent eyes.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 03:13:25 AM »
Ryan's face looked completely confused. The way Kerr made it sound Jake was his age, and Kerr looked at least thirty. Ryan wondered if he'd just aged really well, but that didn't feel right either. His beard had been patchy, and in the last six months he'd grown half an inch. Surely Kerr was confusing him for someone else. It made him wonder what else Kerr could be confusing about him.

"The only thing I'm old enough to run for is class president. Where do I go to school? What's a district leader? Do you work for the mayor?"

Kerr didn't feel like a rival, so that was a surprise too. If anything, Kerr felt like comfort, and while Ryan admitted that was likely due to his heroic rescue from the streets, it felt older than that. Her didn't like hearing he and Kerr had fallen out. He played with Kerr's hand, and liked the feeling of it on his.

"I don't remember not liking you, so as far as I'm concerned we are friends," Ryan said, trying his best to smile and not look totally overwhelmed. "I don't think they're coming back," he admitted, "my memories that is."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 10:39:05 AM »
Kerr's expression was blank at the mention of schools and class presidents. A president in every class? Was that a thing?? Was he supposed to send Jake to school? That might be something to consider later, he supposed, though how could the schooling system possibly benefit a two hundred-plus year old amnesiac?? Sill, it was also a stark reminder of their appearances. He could enrol him in a school. He looked old enough to be Jake's father, which would make their presentation together believable but that was... questionable to him, even if there was nothing untoward going on. All the more reason to keep the boy hidden away; it was just easier.

Also, the notion of Jake ageing and growing was boggling. He was pretty but too delicate-looking right now; malnutrition had left him gaunt. Kerr imagined what he would be like filled out, healthier, taller, with more hair and an older, wiser aspect. He'd be breathtaking and Kerr knew that because his imagination was having a very inappropriate effect on certain parts of his body. He pulled his hands away from Jake's and cleared his throat gently, clamping down on those thoughts hastily.

"I'm glad you think of us as friends," he smiled and, because of his thoughts, it felt shark-like so he dropped it. He really was the predator here but it would be wrong to allow those feelings to come out.

"And I work with the mayor, yes. You don't go anywhere to school at the moment. If you feel you need it, I'll hire you tutors to come here and teach you - this is kind of what I wanted to talk to you about. As I said, I want to protect you and that means I don't want you moving through the city without me. You're free to go anywhere in this building in the daytime - I sleep all day and I'm awake all night because it suits my businesses, I work with a lot of overseas companies - but I'd prefer you not leave this apartment at night unless I'm with you.

"If there's not enough here to amuse you, I'm happy to make changes. In the building you have room service whenever you want it, there's a pool, a huge gym, a games room and a nightclub. I have cable television, a home theatre and excellent wifi here in the penthouse. I don't have any gaming systems but I'm happy to buy you some if you want them, with as many games as you want. I know insisting you stay close by sounds very restrictive but I hope to make it a pleasurable experience for you. I'll have to work parts of some nights but I hope to spend most of my time with you, hopefully I can prompt your memories to return through association. If not, that's okay, too. Do you think you can live with my conditions?"

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 01:02:19 AM »
Ryan knew that the idea he could never leave the building was a harsh restriction, and fairly controlling considering they'd only "met" recently. However, Ryan also knew he had no better choices, and that maybe if he played this game with Kerr he'd find answers. Things were already making a little more sense. Kerr worked for the mayor. District Leader was probably like a city council person or something, and maybe that's why he'd been able to run so young. He was also glad to know despite their apparent rivalry that Kerr wanted to take care of him and make it right. He didn't remember it ever being wrong, but that wasn't important to what future they might have.

Kerr's long explanation of Ryan's options for fun were heard, and he realized he'd never played video games. He'd seen them of course, and brief flashes of something called Mrs. Packman was his only reference point. It could be fun to try them. Fun. He also couldn't remember just having fun. He nodded to Kerr's conditions.

"Okay," he said softly. "But not forever, right?"

There was a certain wisdom behind the eyes, an understanding that indefinite holding of him was as wrong as leaving him on the street, proof that Jake McCloud, paranoid and savvy, was still in there somewhere. He had a million more questions, but first Kerr needed to tell him this wasn't forever.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 01:11:02 AM »
"Definitely not," Kerr confirmed immediately. "Just until your memories come back. It might only be a few days!" he pointed out with manufactured brightness, shrugging encouragingly at Ryan. He doubted it, but it could happen. And when they did, Jake would have a very interesting tale about how he was mortal again and could make decisions about living his life with his own money.

Kerr wondered if he should be keeping receipts for everything, knowing the asshole was almost as loaded as he was. Once he had his memories back, maybe Kerr would make a claim for reimbursement. The thought of it made him smile at his own pettiness but he squashed it down. He was trying to change the narrative not recreate it with a few new features.

"Is there anything you need right now?" he enquired kindly.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2019, 02:47:05 AM »
Ryan couldn't think of anything else he needed, except perhaps more time with Kerr. He'd had nobody to really talk to in the last six months, at least nobody who knew him. He also just wanted to be held, and Kerr's arms looked more than up to the task. However, he got the idea Kerr was conflicted about touching him, both from the lap laying rebuke, and that his hands weren't already all over Ryan. He decided tonight wasn't the night to ask for that kind of contact.

"No. I'm okay. Thank you so much Kerr."

He'd still be sleeping in the burned out bar if it wasn't for Kerr, and he felt an overwhelming amount of gratitude. He wanted to make Kerr happy now, and would do anything he said to keep him that way. He didn't share Kerr's optimism about his memories, but was happy someone felt he could get it all back. Based on what he was hearing, he sounded like a complex person, and based on being in survival mode for as long as he could remember, he was shocked to realize the possibility. He felt the sleepy feeling returning and was looking forward to resting. The only thing that would make it better was Kerr sharing his bed. 
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2019, 11:29:26 PM »
"You're welcome," Kerr smiled and was pleased it didn't feel so predatory this time. He could feel Ryan's gratitude rolling off him in waves and see that he was getting tired. He no doubt slept at night on the streets, so he wouldn't manage to stay awake much longer. He'd also be up during the day, so Kerr needed to get him organised now.

"You look tired. Come with me," he said, taking Ryan's hand and leading him away from the lounge room and back towards the front of the apartment. Instead of taking him to his own room, Kerr led the boy into his bedroom, walking him silently to Ben's side of the dark wooden king-sized bed. He leant down and picked up a credit card-looking key from the bedside table and held it towards his guest. The only thing left on the bedside table now was a lamp, not switched on. Kerr's was the only light in the room, the soft light from the stained-glass Tiffany lamp giving the room a gentle rainbow glow.

"This was Be--my ex's key to the penthouse. I have the only other one. It's the only way you can get up here, via the elevator, so don't lose it!" Kerr stressed with a grin to soften his order. "This card will allow you to come and go as you please during the day - it'll also give you free access to all the facilities in the building - just remember to be back up here by sun down, my little Cinderella, okay?" he teased with a smile, holding Ryan's hand tenderly as he placed the card on his palm and folded his fingers around it.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2019, 07:07:41 AM »
Ryan liked being grabbed by the hand, especially by Kerr and some hormones began moving through his human body. Kerr would smell the attraction mixed in with all those other warm, gooey feelings, and Ryan couldn't help but squeeze his savior's hand, feeling how strong and manly it was. He liked that too, and it showed in a sheepish looking grin. He expected this was the part where Kerr took his price and Ryan was more than ready to have sex. Kerr had been so kind. However, once again Kerr suprised him, handing him a key card and making jokes about fairy tales. Who was this guy?

"Twist," he said. "I'm more like Oliver Twist, and that makes you Mr. Brownlow, although you're a lot hotter than he was in the book."

He'd read a ton of English literature, although he couldn't for the life of him know why. He understood that something within him resonated with the old books. Dickens was a favorite. His comparison to Oliver instead of Cinderella wasn't even based on gender. Cinderella had a father once who loved her, and Kerr was not an evil step mother, and he couldn't think of this man as a fairy godmother. Maybe he was, but Ryan liked to see him more as a sexy savior.

"I wonder who's Fagin in all this," he laughed, taking the key card and placing it in his front pant's pocket. "Your ex must've been dumb to give you up," Ryan offered, candidly sharing his thoughts in an almost Jake like fashion. "Can I sleep in your bed tonight?"
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 10:12:10 AM »
Kerr was surprised by the literature reference. He supposed, overall, Jake's tale was more akin to Oliver Twist but his curfew was that of Cinderella. He was obviously too tired to get the reference but that was okay. Kerr's smile was fond - until that final question came. The thought of sharing his bed with a warm, cuddly mortal Jake roused far too many red flags for him to think about agreeing. It would set the wrong tone.

"Uh, I think it's best you stay in your own bed for now," he replied gently, "but I'll tuck you in." He walked Jake into his room and did as he said, kissing the boy's forehead before leaving him. He was tired enough that he was quickly asleep, leaving Kerr to contemplate all the potential hazards and possibilities of this relationship alone, until the sun's rise sent him to bed, too.

~*~

A month passed and Kerr was surprised by his ability to settle into a routine with a mortal in his home. And by his ability to keep the secret of his species. Ryan had many questions but blessedly few of them were about Kerr. They mostly concerned the memories that swam in his murky thoughts and Kerr answered what he could - he could tell Jake who Sabrina and Lisa-Joe were, though he didn't offer to bring them together. It didn't suit Kerr's plans for Jake to reconnect with any of his other friends; he wanted to be the sole influence in his life, for now.

Mostly, that plan came to fruition. He developed a fondness for the boy that was likely unhealthy - he knew the obsession he had for how Jake's appearance changed definitely was but he couldn't fight it. He did his best to distract himself instead, to work a little more when it got bad, to find other men or women outside his home to satisfy the desires stirred to life by an innocent, pliant, tactile mortal so close to his bed (and more often than not crawling into his arms or lap). He smiled and gritted his teeth and deflected.

They felt like friends. He'd lost his hatred for the enemy Jake had been and was in some weird limbo where his feelings could go in any direction, depending on how the next phase of his plan went. It was time to follow through, before his heart made a decision he couldn't roll back.

After Jake had eaten his dinner, they were sitting on the couch together watching television. Kerr had cleared his calendar of appointments deliberately, so they'd have the whole night together (something he generally tried to avoid). He couldn't imagine the night going smoothly, considering where he planned to take them, but it was time to try. He was ready to bring Jake back... he hoped.

Instead of letting the next episode play, Kerr used the remote to move out to the main menu and turned to look at Ryan. "I have a question, it's about that ring you wear," Kerr said cautiously, pre-empting his question to give the boy time to mentally prepare for it.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2019, 06:56:09 AM »
"Okay, that's fair," he said with an air of disappointment. "Thanks again, for everything," he said softly, as they walked to his room.

Ryan found being tucked in strangely comforting, and the feeling of Kerr's kiss on his forehead was arousing. Once the boy was alone, he took care of one final need, another thing life on the streets had prevented him from doing with any real enjoyment. Now, as he touched himself, eyes closed, tongue sticking out the corner of his mouth, he thought of Kerr. He finished quickly due to his fatigue, and went to sleep dreaming of his friend and savior.

~~~

Ryan didn't know what to do with himself at first. That first day, he practically hid in his room, pacing back and forth and feeling anxious. He needed to be on the move. It wasn't safe. It was never safe. But slowly those feelings gave way to a recognition he was safe, and that his anxiety wasn't needed anymore. He resolved to start moving forward the next day.

True to his word, he went to the gym the next morning, grabbing coffee first. He felt a desire to smoke, but didn't like the idea of tar in his lungs. He bought an e-cig, a black electronic device that gave him puffs of nicotine as water vaper. The gym was empty, and that let him play around for two hours, just trying out everything. He was ridiculously sore the next night, whining to Kerr about it. The elder encouraged him to go back, and so he did.

Soon, he made a small routine: Wake up, shower, coffee, e-cig, gym. He ate a meal after that, and then began spending a few hours each day just walking around the city. He studied the buildings, camped out in libraries and book stores, and stared curiously at universities. He wanted to tell Kerr that he didn't want private tutors. Whatever his educational deficits, he felt much more knowledgeable on a host of subjects than the average freshman in university. He wanted to go to make friends his own age, and mingle with people. He knew how Kerr felt about him leaving, and so he decided not to bring it up yet.

He found he loved watching mixed martial arts on TV, and could even mimic many of the moves with ease. He began to wonder if he had some kind of training, and then was able to prove he did when he began doing move sets that nobody had ever taught him. He'd hoped a juicy memory would drop, but none did. None ever did.

His dreams continued though. They were always the same. He asked about the big woman and the redhead and Kerr told him that they were indeed important people to him. He was curious to meet them, but Kerr assured him that he wasn't ready for that yet. Ryan agreed, sure Kerr was just trying to keep him safe. He didn't know who Jake was yet, but Ryan was begining to be more than just a scared runway. 

In the month that had gone by, he'd begun filling out in his body. The combination of eating and the gym showed up in a bigger arm, the line of his pec muscles beginning to show, and his skinny chicken legs filled into something more substantial. His confidence rose as these changes took place, and he started rough housing with Kerr to show him how strong he was getting. He also read whole books in just two or three days, and he practiced all the languages he knew. The most pressing thing he still didn't know, was what he wanted, other than Kerr.

On the night Kerr asked about his ring, Ryan was full of food, and feeling happy for quality time with his friend, and somewhat father. He felt immediately defensive about the ring, those pesky instincts telling him to not talk about it. However, Kerr had won him over, and so he didn't shut down the topic right away.

"Ask away," he said nervously, hands fidgeting with the ring in question. It felt safe. It felt so very safe.

- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2019, 12:42:03 AM »
"Do you ever take it off?" Kerr enquired, keeping his voice curious and non-judgemental.

He didn't like the way Ryan fretted at the bauble; it implied that he was more attached to it than Kerr thought he would be by now. Had he not done enough? He'd been certain there was trust, even if it came out in arousing, doe-eyed looks or giggling fits during wrestles (also arousing, much to Kerr's chagrin, so he didn't let them go on too long).

Ryan hadn't ever breached the sanctity of his bedroom while he day-slept or violated the conditions of his curfew. He was generally obedient and very sweet to live with. What was all that if not trusting?!