Author Topic: In The Dirt  (Read 201 times)

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
Re: In The Dirt
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 08:55:39 AM »
Now they were talking politics.

"I want a special training for first responders of the city who have to deal with the violences caused by supernaturals," he said easily, as if he had been waiting for the proper audience to make requests to, the list written in the back of his mind. "I want a specific group of people who can be responsible for cleaning up exposure messes and a system for how it happens - memory swipes, Dominations, the works. I want a paper trail on all the events that happen here, that way when someone fucks up, we can follow it and try to fix it.

"I want a fifteen-mile perimeter around the city as a no-kill zone too," he added with a swirl of his finger. "If Hampton PD finds one more junkie bled dry in that bordering supermarket parking lot, me and Mayor ShitForBrains are both gonna have the DEA breathing down our necks, sticking their noses where they don't belong." Eddy studied the vampire, but gave no quarter. It wanted to be a leader in this city? Time to play ball, kid.

"And I want a special grant for victims of supernatural violences - $2.5 million."

Offline Satyr

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 10:46:57 AM »
Ben felt hysteria building up inside of him. So much that he couldn't fully control the bubble of laughter that rose in his chest, so it came out with a 'pah' and a brief smile before he shook his head and looked down at his lap to centre himself. After a brief moment, he looked up again.

"You're asking me for things that are already in place, so it's easy enough for you to be involved or even take over. There's already a first responder unit in the city, called the Ward. They police our kind because they are our kind. Currently they answer to all of the District Leaders but having so many bosses make their job hard. I would like to see them fall under your umbrella, as a special task force. I can put that into motion for you."

He didn't admit he could do it immediately, which he could because of his relationship with Captain Xiamara Hadar. He didn't know how she felt about him on a personal level but he could tell that she liked his funding and that he kept her in the loop. It had been his idea for her to piggyback on Sacramentum resource for eyes and ears in the East. Charon didn't care about a lot of stuff going on that the Ward would, and now the Sacramentum's people had someone else to report things to that they were bothered by. He could organise a meeting between the Mayor and the Captain.

"As for cleanups, that would currently fall under the District Leaders depending on territory. I myself don't like the idea of a dozen various ways to handle something like that, or a dozen different laws that change when I cross the street." He couldn't help but roll his eyes, though it was hardly professional. "The District Leaders absolutely won't relinquish that kind of control to anybody else but I can think of a workaround," Ben said, his mind turning to all of the ideas he'd had for the Ward but hadn't vocalised to the Captain because he'd felt it wasn't his place. She was already annoyed he'd headhunted a few of her police force for Academy Security. "Since they've already permitted the Ward to work in their area, I would have a special cleanup division integrated into the Ward."

Ben couldn't say anything about the 'bordering supermarket parking lot' because he had no idea what the Mayor was talking about. He couldn't remember where Hampton was in relation to the city - north or south or east or west. He only knew that it wasn't north-west because the ocean was there. He made a mental note to find out where Hampton was and then report what was going on to the relevant District Leader. He knew it wasn't Jake or Zoheret.

"I'll, um, inform all of the District Leaders about the perimeter." He would talk to the Captain, actually, and have her make an official request with the reasons why.

"As for the grant, I can set something up, though it'll have to pose as a charity for regular violence to keep it above board and no surprises or investigations with weird results as to where money is coming from." He didn't see Kerr having a problem donating money to such a good cause. Ben knew he was already giving to third world nations to nourish and clothe their poor.

It also gave him another campaign positive - to set up a charity.  A widespread charity such as this would be not only awesome but go towards Ben's already solid philanthropist reputation. He'd heard rumours that Jake McCloud ran a soup kitchen or did charitable work in the Brazilian Quarter, but Ben could point out that was not out of the kindness of his heart but actually an obligation for being District Leader and having to look after his constituents.

"It'll be easier for me to do all of this as a District Leader myself. I need votes but I'm limited to finding them in the City Central district alone. Could you email me a census of everyone living within the metropolis? I can cross-check them with our registry of those 'in the know', but mine are almost two years old so they're out of date."

Considering everything he'd said he would do for the Mayor, he thought he could be afforded this one small thing.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2019, 09:45:08 AM »
It was insulting to sit and listen to Ben Samson speak to him as if he had no idea about the structure of the monsters in this city. Of course he knew about the Ward. Of course he knew that each District Leader had their own forces that patrolled their part of the city, like so many gangsters. He let the little devil speak its piece entirely, the stoney expression remaining in place despite Samson's simple answers to all of his points. He'd let that laugh go, too; they were an arrogant bunch, these vampires. Every single one that had walked into his office had been so condescending to him that he began to not care about their concerns. Monsters will be monsters, he supposed. But Eddy refused to even acknowledge Samson's request for the census until all the major details were ironed out.

"I want training developed for my people, for the humans who come into contact with this bullshit," he demanded evenly, counting off on his fingers for emphasis. "Every homicide detective, every fire captain and chief, every EMT. I want them all to know how to handle supernaturals, recognize them, stay away from them if they have to - brand it how you want to, I don't care. But I want them to be human, not some collection of creatures who have no idea what it's like to be human in this city."

He paused before adding firmly, "And I want a list of every supernatural that lives in this city."

Offline Satyr

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2019, 10:02:32 AM »
His first instinct was to say no. Outright no. Humans had no right policing his kind, but they could have a say for their own kind. When Ben had been thrown in front of the Oligarchy, he'd had nobody to represent him and his interests. He couldn't call the cops, he couldn't ask for a lawyer, he'd been at the mercy of someone who looked at him like an obstacle and not a person. That wouldn't do. But neither was what the Mayor wanted, because it was too much the other way.

"I'm not stopping you from training your own people in whatever way you choose," he said, but he knew the Mayor couldn't unless all those people were 'in the know'. If he could round up that many people, then great. If they knew about supernaturals, they might sign up for the Ward instead, where the resources, their support and the pay was better. The Mayor wouldn't like that but Ben could see it happening. Why work for humans protecting humans from supernaturals for shitty pay when you could work for supernaturals protecting everyone, even other humans, from supernaturals for great pay and an induction into an amazing world?

"As for the registry," Ben said, knowing his votes were going to die here and now but fuck it, this was big picture stuff. He had one, because of old Oligarchy records, and every District Leader had one, plus their updates for their areas, and the Ward had the one that was most up to date, but he hadn't asked the Captain for it because he didn't want to put her in that position where she favoured him with dubious information (which he doubted she would do anyway), "tell me why you need it?"

Whatever you say, the answer is going to be a flat out no
But I want to know what you're thinking
And I'm going to watch you for lies

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2019, 11:23:43 AM »
"For the same reason your so-called District Leaders have one," he answered simply with a shrug of his shoulders. "As the Mayor of the city, I should have access to know who is in the city. I have a registrar filled with information about how many naturalized citizens and immigrant populations exist in this city. I have access to records of their visas and immigration statuses, in case something were to happen - to them or to others. It's the same across the board: sex offenders, convicted murderers, serial rapists. I have an idea about how many Christians, Muslims, Jews, and Hindus, where their places of service are, their food markets, what populations come from which countries...

"It all comes down to knowing who is in the city and how we can keep everyone safe."

Offline Satyr

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 12:38:29 PM »
Ben felt like the information the Mayor was asking for wasn't his right to give away. In truth he shouldn't even have the register in the first place - he only had access to it because it had been with Kerr's things from the Oligarchy, and he'd salvaged it after his sire's not-death.

"That sounds fair," Ben said evenly, because it certainly sounded fair and reasonable regardless of his opinion that it was a slippery and very dangerous slope. Once information was handed out, it would be impossible to take back. "I can't give you that as a lowly citizen, though. I'd need to be elected first."

That's all he was asking for, at this point. Once elected, promises would be reset unless they were beneficial for everyone. The last thing Mayor Figueroa had asked for was not beneficial for Ben's people.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2019, 09:27:45 AM »
Eddy looked over Ben's poke face, spotting it for what it was at an intuitive level. He didn't trust it as far as he could throw it. Mayor Figueroa took this promise with a grain of salt. This little shit was going to make one great politician if it was elected.

There were a few things that Eddy could figure out in their short meeting together, but they were things he believed firmly.

Firstly, Benjamen Samson was an arrogant little p.r.i.c.k. He didn't know if it was a personality trait or a quality of his newfound species but, quite frankly, Eddy didn't care. How kind it was that Benjamen Samson, private citizen running for office, wanted to make sure that the Mayor of the fucking city was kept up to date with the supernatural political occurrences within his own city! Eddy was reminded sharply of when Jennifer, his oldest, was eight and she tried to convince him about the Democratic stance on state taxes, as if he wasn't wrist deep in it everyday at work. Back then, he had smiled and handed her off to her mother. Likewise, Samson clearly thought he wasn't aware of everything that happened in his own city. Samson was treating him like some old fool. Funny, really.

Secondly, Benjamen Samson knew how to play the game already. In their brief exchange so far, the vampire had managed to come up with an easy, fluffy answer for every problem Eddy proposed without actually promising much of anything or taking any responsibility for the shit that had already happened. It was smart. There were no gifts given until the day of reckoning when he was elected to office. It made Eddy think that somehow this kid had a connection to some kind of politics before choosing to run for office in 'Central District'. With everything that had been going on lately, Eddy hadn't had the time to look into the identity of the rich little fuck who paid him off. What was that saying about a gift horse?

Lastly, Benjamen Samson had access to an expansive amount of resources. Eddy hadn't missed the point where Ben spoke about 'cross-checking' voters. Somehow this little nuisance had access to some kind of list that Eddy didn't. He couldn't be sure, of course. Was it only the list of humans 'in the know'? Or was it the entire list of supernaturals in the city? He didn't even begin to wonder how the kid had gotten any of that information - Eddy had been briefed on who the old Oligarchs of the city were and Samson's name hadn't been one of them. In fact, before the purchase of the private lands for that stupid private Academy - which put enough cash in Eddy's pockets to send all three kids to Brown University for four years and still have money left over for to pay off the mortgage - the name Benjamen Samson hadn't been in any files or heard on anyone's lips.

Friends close, enemies closer, and all that.

"When you're elected District Leader," Mayor Figueroa began, sure that the events would come to pass one way or another, "I want Central District to take the reigns and train the human and supernatural first responders who are the front line of this city the proper information they need to pick up the messes caused by supernaturals and humans alike. I want the Ward reinforced with human responders as well. I want to know that when my EMT's go out into the city and face the carnage of a werewolf attack they'll deal with it safely, effectively, and with as little psychological damage as possible. I can't train them on how to treat a werewolf or vampire bite. I don't want my teams getting blindsided by some... demon because someone heard a mysterious noise in Pisky and called it into the human law enforcement. That's my concern. I want whoever gets to the scene of the crime first to be fully prepared for anything this city can throw at them. It's only fair.

"You can look at it as part of some 'city improvement' crux to your campaign. Tie it in with the Supernatural Relief fund as some package deal. The public loves more protections. You want to look like the good guy? That's one way to do it.

"In the meantime, I'll make sure that census makes its way to you right after yours and McCloud's stances are made public." The smile that he offered was as fake as any he had given that night. Samson would either give in to Eddy's request or not get the list.