Author Topic: Ladies, Elephants and Crop Tops  (Read 5500 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Ladies, Elephants and Crop Tops
« on: September 05, 2019, 01:28:27 PM »
open

The voices told Jimmy this was the place to be tonight. Dr. Barrow's classes were over, and he'd been put to bed early by the mind the two men shared. Now, it was time for the fun to come out. The academic, boring, false self that paraded himself as a paragon of good was only still around because Jimmy couldn't seem to be rid of him. They were stuck together, for now, but Jimmy didn't let that tarnish his mood as he entered the grounds of the carnival.

He was hoping to feed here, and maybe even get his fortune read. He loved to spook the frauds that ran these these things with his own skills. They were never quite ready, and ended up paying him instead, once he told them things no other could. He snickered at the thought. His hair was tossed up like he'd just rolled out of bed. Each eye had a thick line of dark liner, and he wore a crop top hoodie, tight purple pants, and combat boots. Behind his ear was a cigarette, and another dangled from the middle of his mouth with a practiced balance.

His overall reception was one that delighted him. The little families seemed confused by his outfit, while a few of the men couldn't stop staring. He wondered why the voices had sent him here instead of Venture, or Sticks and Stakes, or even the White Rabbit. He'd learned not to question their wisdom, like James so often did. He finished one cigarette and started another, before deciding to play one of the games.

The game was Follow the Lady, the card shark standing in a stall with tons of stuffed animals behind it. Jimmy moved to take a guess.

"Hey there ugh... little guy," the stall owner said, slightly confused about Jimmy's crop top hoodie.

"Don't worry about it, I'm English," he explained, not thinking there was anything particularly English about what he was doing.

"Oh, of course. My cousin married an English guy," he said defensively.

"You mean bloke."

"Wha=."

"Let's play the game, shall we," the Malkavian said, pointing to the cards on the table. The gambler began his dance, moving his hands faster than any mortal eyes could see. Jimmy watched with ease as the cards moved and came to a stop.

"The lady is on the right," he said, pointing for confirmation. The dealer reveled the Lady and swore. He pulled out two additional cards.

"Bet you can't do that again," he challenged. He was a squat man with a toothless grin, a wanderer his whole life. He was the type who never cheated, and never had to.

"What will you bet me," Jimmy said, smiling with a fair degree of challenge. "Make any bet you like. I'll accept."

The stall owner thought for a few moments, looking Jimmy over, still unsure what to make of him. "If you lose, you give me... two-hundred bucks."

"Fair enough," Jimmy said mischievously, puffing on his cigarette and clouding the stall owner with smoke. "If I win, you have to french kiss me right here in front of everyone, and I mean realllllll sloppy. You got me mate?"

The stall owner looked shocked. "I'm no boy kisser."

"Neither am I," Jimmy lied. "It's just for the game. If you're so good. You won't lose right?"

The stall owner agreed to the bet, not intending on paying his price if he lost. A few lucky suckers picked the Lady out of three cards. He'd never had someone pick her out of five. The card shark snickered, and once again began his dance. He moved with the beauty and sharpness of a practiced vaudevillian. At first Jimmy watched with his eyes, but very soon he shut them.

"Giving up," the stall owner mocked, moving the cards even faster for some reason. Jimmy said nothing. After a few more seconds the stall owner stopped. "Okay, pick your card," he said. He was smiling that ugly grin again.

"It was second to the left but you took it off the board after I closed my eyes. You dared not cheat if I watched, but you figured you'd cover your bets since I wouldn't see. Am I right?"

The man looked stunned. He dropped the card from within his wrist. It was the first and only time he'd ever cheated. He looked horrified. "I'm not kissing you," he said.

"Awe, but we had a deal," Jimmy rebutted. With that his eyes seemed to flash light blue, and the next thing the man knew Jimmy was the most beautiful creature he'd ever seen. He slithered over, tongue ugly, fat and swollen. The man would remember kissing Jimmy for hours, but the moon child had walked away almost the moment after his eyes had flashed. The stall owner kissed at the air, his hands groping the space in front of him. He'd gotten a fool's reward for his confidence and ignorance. Jimmy snickered as he headed into the Big Top. Apparently the carnival was the place to be. He'd taken a large plush elephant as his prize, and now stood with him in line to get tickets.

"I'll name you Daniel," he said kissing the elephant on the trunk and then kissing the pewter ring on his finger. "Oh Daniel," he said softly. It almost sounded reverent.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Macabre Beauty

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Re: Ladies, Elephants and Crop Tops
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 11:58:18 PM »
Mishca, the young man had a --penchant for showing up just about anywhere.One evening, picking up strays in the city streets, another --demons in the park. Well, to be fair, he hadn’t picked either of them up.The former followed him to the hotel room he’d rented (or had that been an apartment break in?); the latter, caught him bound within his own music --wrapped up in such a fashion the other male had been practically invisible.  In truth camouflaged by the scenery, but Mish had --if he recalled correctly, been high that evening. So, the winged creature could’ve been little more than a construct of his mind placed before him for the simple sake of amusement.

In honour of recreational drug use, tonight’s drug of choice was opium, and he powering through day two of musical drifting. The small band he played for, anachronistic in dress when they roved, had yet risen for the evening. Or at least two of the members slumbered. The third, a lycanthrope, was the --gentleman beast that offered him the hit for the evening. No doubt somewhere else in the crowd, like as not wandering amidst the rides due to his grand plans of thrill seeking, the lycan and he, here, were in wait of the waking of their companions.

Not an uncomfortable wait. When everything ballooned and bubbled around him with a fluidity that taught him time was liquid light; it’s passing evident in the gravitational pull that turned the world, and gaseous gravity, with it.

Indeed, one could consider him watching the world turn. Ebon eyes stared off past the tent; focused on some point above the shrifter’s right ear. Despite the distance and illusive focus, he caught in peripheral the dance of card.The trick at the end, this in reference to the second hand shuffled, caused him to blink twice before his focus sharpened to watch the card disappear. “Wh..a?” The syllable errant. He would’ve informed the guy of the slight, but the conversation rolled into revelation before he could.

The crude kiss, which never made it to the taller man’s lips, earned a long blank stare. The stall owner left to scrunch up his face in accent to his wagging tongue. Why had the man asked for a kiss anyway? Querent and curious, Mish pulled away from the trunk like post supporting him. He gave the man a brief headstart; distance he needed to steady after a moment’s vertigo.

After the spun wave washed over him, he fell in step. The gap between them remained easy to navigate; and grew shorter, as Jimmy neared the Big Top. Once the taller kid proved stationary, Mish slipped up behind. He remained silent only long enough for Jimmy to croon to elephant, before lowing in mellow rich tones, “Bet they have a kissing booth.”

† Mishca - Mild Miscreant
†Nanashi - Cat. Boy.
† Keide - I see what lies beneath.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 04:13:00 AM »
Jimmy heard the suggestion of a kissing booth, and the sweet sounding voice that came along with the suggestion. Daniel the elephant looked over Jimmy's shoulder like a proper sentry, scrutinizing and suspicious. Jimmy wheeled around to see the black eyes and odd color hair of the human before him. He was cute thing, on the small side, but that was alright. He had plenty of blood in those small veins. The vampire moved his lips into a slick smile, extending his hand.

"Do they," he said, his upward inflection indicating a question had been asked. "And do you happen to know where I can find someone to enjoy it with," he added. "I'm Jimmy and this is Daniel," he said, holding up the stuffed plush with the same reverence as before. "He's my date at the moment."

The line moved along, and Jimmy realized they might miss the big show if they left now. Was kissing worth it? Well, kissing alone perhaps not, but kissing plus blood, plus maybe more, now that was a proper proposition.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Macabre Beauty

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 01:25:48 PM »
Mishca stared at the hand for several long seconds, before his own slid into his back pocket. The proffered shake seeming to reel him into an absent lapse of remembrance. After a few seconds more a sucker appeared; teeth taking to plastic to tear away the wrapper.

Once he sealed the candy between his lips, stick bouncing with a quiet click, he offered his hand in turn pressing an Anise candy into the man's palm. A shake was the proper response, right? With a short jerk of the wrist, he left the candy to the other as he took his hand back.

"Can't say that I do," this drawled around his treat, "Might find someone back by the fortune teller." At least, that's where he figured the booth was. A lapse in memory he supposed; given his troupe had toured the whole of the carnival yesterday.

"If you're interested in waiting an hour or so," he continued, craning his neck to peer around the kid, "One of the crew might be able to be roped into it." He slid forward as he spoke, stepping around Jimmy if need be, to fall into the flow moving forward. "Course your date don't seem to be minding the pecks. Perhaps he'd like some more."
†Nanashi - Cat. Boy.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 04:33:35 PM »
Jimmy let out a sinister little chuckle, and pet Daniel's head like he was a good date indeed. The candy in his palm was placed in his pocket, but it made him wonder if he'd be getting another sweet little treat out of this one. Jimmy moved his body in tandem with Mishca, and he flipped up the hood of his crop top hoodie.

"I'm a fortune teller you know," Jimmy informed, waving his hands in front of his face for a dramatic flourish, Mishca's mentioning of the psychic's booth prompting the disclosure. "I can see your future."

"You almost sound jealous of him," Jimmy teased in reference to the elephant, eyes trying to track his potential meal's. "And while I'm sure he wouldn't mind a good snogging, I'd rather do it with someone who has a tongue ring and an attitude. Know anyone who fits the bill?"

Jimmy moved them forward in line. They'd be able to get tickets soon.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Macabre Beauty

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 10:18:42 PM »
Mish's hands slid into pockets, wrists set to rest against the chain draped over his hips. His troupe, for what it was, might've adhered to the fun and nostalgia of anachronistic dress; but Mishca, he chose a rumpled T-shirt over mesh. Sometimes black, sometimes navy. He forwent gloves today. Wore a silver chain about his neck, the links coiled tight in contrast to those open at his waist. Pants a pitch denim that faded to a beige flare around his ankles. A character that certainly stood out when placed amidst the ruffles and finery of the Victorian age.

He was reflecting on the group, in fact, when Jimmy spoke next. So, with the opiate haze teasing his thoughts into glass baubles, it took a moment for him to register what Jimmy had said. His upper body tipped back in a sidelong cant when meaning caught up with the words; and, ebon eyes ticked to peer into one eye then the next.

"Are you?" The query simply and short. Did he have use for a fortune teller? His lips pursed. A couple of clicks answered the internalized query, he chewing his tongue ring with his back molars. His gaze lifted to a focal point above the vampire’s head; before Jimmy’s gentle taunting pulled him back into the present moment.

“Come again?” He’d missed the quip about jealousy; but, as the conversation forged ahead, he quickly caught up. Snog --an entertaining word really, and if he weren’t blankly consulting Jimmy’s eyes again, he might’ve laughed. That word and its origin left a needling itch in the back of his mind. One that harried his cortex, pinching just beneath the skull.

“Snog” He echoed, eyes narrowed at the sensation tracing down his neck’s vertebrae. A lazy tip forward right his position while shoes scuffed the sand in a slide forward. “You go around moving that fast with everyone? Granted, I get Daniel there doesn’t have a tongue,” this bemused, “But, who know’s what you’ll go catching if you just --offer those lips to anyone.” A casual lilt rolled the syllables around the stick caught between his teeth, distancing them on an echo that spoke almost dismissively of said diseases. He distracted. “Bet the booth needs some sort of license to go looking out for that sort of shit.” This tacked on in after thought.

|| sorry for the delay dear, got caught up in Holiday prep! ||
†Nanashi - Cat. Boy.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 03:36:18 AM »
Jimmy laughed, perhaps too much like a madman for the person in front of him in line, and turned to face Daniel the elephant.

"Can you believe this one is afraid I might catch something," he said, his working class British dialect almost turning the L in believe into a W. "More like you might catch a little madness, but..."

Jimmy stared close now, and his eyes seemed to reflect the dim light of the tent like a cat at night. "It seems the madness has already found you in childhood. Mummy and daddy tossing around, having fits. It's made Mish anything but a dull boy."

He moved up in line, assuming the attractive but perplexing boy would follow. "As far as my speed, I'm moving fast for your sake, not mine. I have all the time in the world, but you... your's is almost up. It's not your fault, it's just what's in the cards."

"Forgive my snogging nature, It's a British thing. What do you Americans say that's somehow even more vulgar? Make out? Yes, that's it!"   

Jimmy made Daniel the elephant salute like he was in the royal navy!
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Macabre Beauty

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 07:03:27 AM »
“Tossing around?” The words echoed with a hollow detachment, he watching warped auras bend and balloon the heads around him. A couple of clicks resonated from the stick twitching between his lips. Truth be told, he’d not given his parents thought in --quite some time. Not to say he had any particular distaste for them. Just, after the divorce, there seemed little need or --room really, for him in their lives. They raised him well enough in the time they did spend with him. He didn’t mind allowing them their lives back.

As Jimmy slid around to return the line back to the initial order, Mish trailed a few beats after. “I’ve time enough to take some time,” he countered, the words hedged with bemusement. To be fair, he’d had a good share of close calls already --and none of it had to do with his habitual drug use. But, when it came to the highs and buzzes he sought, he balanced the addictions best he could. Building blends into a rotation, as to not attain a tolerance too high. Or.. in his stricter moments, refusing to satiate the cravings. He wanted to enjoy himself --not lose out on life expectancy.

“I wonder where the euphemism comes from. Making out that is…  Did people start off with “Hey let’s go make out like bandits” ‘cause kissing was inappropriate behaviour in the past? I could see a point in time where kissing would make one feel like a criminal.” In fact, the vision that teased at his mind made the point quite literal. Couples sneaking out, borrowing cars to park in uninhabited or less populated areas of the city… “Snog.” Still an odd word, probably with odder origins.
†Nanashi - Cat. Boy.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 12:05:53 AM »
Jimmy laughed hollowly again, this time narrowing his eyes. His smile twisted into something more mischievous, and he seemed to regard Mishca in a new way. He'd been carefully watching during the mortal's replies, and the vampire seemed to like what he saw bubbling bellow the surface. They were at the line to buy tickets now, and decisions just had to be made.

"Want to see the show with me," Jimmy asked, extending a hand in a gesture that might be called romantic. "We can skip the kissing booth if you like."

He looked in it's direction, but his happy face faded away. "Besides," he continued. "I have a feeling that it's own future might be suspect."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Macabre Beauty

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 07:06:04 PM »
Mish rocked forward on the balls of his feet, hands pushing down into his pockets as he peered at the people ahead of them. While his body tipped into an accommodating lean, his mind caught up to the query posed to him. The show? That's what they were here for right? Ebon eyes lazed down the length of his nose, his chin lifting to accommodate. For several long seconds he just --stared at the hand held up for him. His body still locked in the subtle incline of the inquisitive rock.

With a defined lethargy, the ebon eyed male returned to the flats of his feet. His gaze, still locked on the extended hand. Was he supposed to grab it? Collect it in his own and start swinging the kid's arm whimsically in wait of the show's start? Or maybe he was expected to grasp it with a tight, knowing squeeze and go --I'd love to. Or maybe he's just seen a few too many citizens and denizens dancing about the town. In any event, the subtle miscreant shook his head, then made to step around the vampire, "It's what we're here for."
†Nanashi - Cat. Boy.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 04:21:53 AM »
Jimmy's eyes narrowed hatefully as his hand was refused. The mortal had done it in front of Daniel of all people! What must he be thinking? The vampire debated being very naughty and simply mind controlling the boy into donating blood. He was getting hungry, and while the lad was attractive, he was also boring. He'd had little to no reaction at learning Jimmy really could see into his past. He didn't seem to be hunting for anything in particular himself. All in all, Jimmy began to suspect Mishca had nothing to offer him other than a confused conversation. If he wanted that, he had James and Daniel to talk to.

"I go where the voices tell me," Jimmy said, putting his hand back at his side and not hiding the fact he was insulted by the other's refusal. "And now they're telling me that you'll watch the show alone. I'm going to go catch something in the kissing booth. Ta ta."

With that Jimmy began to walk towards the booth, where he hoped to catch a bite to eat or at least someone to terrorize.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.