Author Topic: Great Expectations  (Read 10421 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Great Expectations
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 05:55:16 PM »
When Ben went silent and Kerr pulled out his phone, Win watched as his text message was sent and then how the phone got flipped over. Sending a message to Cub, probably. Who else would he text right now? Fuck. So that bridge was burnt just as much as this one.

"Look, I don't know what Lazarus did and I don't want to know. I was with him for long enough to know how he is. And I'm sorry I didn't say something straight away when you mentioned Cub. I shouldn't have taken the selfish route, it's not me. I'm sorry if I caused you any discomfort." Win stood and put his half-full glass of blood down onto the coffee table, wiping his hands on the seat of his pants. Ben stood as well, though his blood had only a few sips out of it and it was mostly tepid now. "I'll go back to the Tropicana."

"What was it like with him?" Ben asked before Win had taken a step.

"With who?" Win asked warily, wondering if Ben meant Lazarus or Cub.

"Your sire," he said, unable to mention Lazarus' name again, even though he'd only just spoken it.

"Uh," Win blinked and looked at Kerr, "he showed me a different side to vampirism. Not anything I practise now."

"Did you kill people when you were with him?" Ben asked.

"No," Win said immediately, defensively. "We would argue over it, actually. It... it drove a wedge between us. He got bored with everything else I did to keep him amused instead."

Ben nodded, stepping forward so he could place his mostly-full glass on the table in front of him. Win stared at Ben but Ben looked at Kerr, wondering what he thought of all this.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 06:21:29 PM »
Kerr felt rather disconcerted, watching the two younger vampires stand and face off. His gaze flicked from one to the other, tracking the conversation like a sports enthusiast. He couldn't decide if the conversation was helping Ben or hurting him so he was uncertain about intervening. The more Ben knew and could separate Win from Lazarus, the better.

When Ben looked at him, Kerr hid his current thought - should they introduce him to Murphy? Would he like having something close to family nearby? - and stood up also, feeling Ben's gaze like a summons. He moved so that their arms were touching and faced Win, presenting a united front.

"I get it," he said quietly, his expression sad and somewhat apologetic. "Why you didn't say anything straight away. I forgive you. I'm sorry I got angry. And I also don't believe you're anything like your sire, you're sweet and I think you're kind. It's just... we have a bad history with him. We hate him. Cub didn't bring you here to protect us, I'd say. I'm sorry you're being tarnished with his brush, he... he's made a lot of enemies in this city. If you're not attached to the place, it might even be best to move on, otherwise you're going to have this conversation a lot." Kerr paused and looked at Ben, deciding he probably should ask.

Murphy?

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 06:35:33 PM »
Twice, now, it had been suggested to him that he not hang around. It felt almost official, like a warning from an authority, the way Kerr said it. He was starting to think it was a good idea after all, since Lazarus had left his brand on the city - but there were cities where they'd both been kicked because of Lazarus' actions, back in the day when Win had been with the blonde Ancient.

"So, don't just run me out of the hotel, run me out of the city?" he said with a faint laugh, like it was a joke, but it wasn't.

Ben was caught between Kerr's suggestion of giving Win to Murphy so that he could have some kind of bond or keeping him for himself a little while longer. Win answered questions in a rapid fire kind of way. After all the shitty conversations Ben had while making political contacts, Win shared information easily and seemingly without underhandedness. It was so refreshing and Ben yearned for more of it - even though the topic was shit.

"No, I want you to stay here. Move out of the... Tropicana, did you say? We'll comp you a VIP room. That'll give you access to our donors. You can pay us with answers, okay?" Ben said, glancing at Kerr and nodding that he agreed Murphy should be told about him.

We'll ask Murphy first if he wants to meet a fledge brother.

But 'first' was a relative term because Vex was forgotten for now. "Drink your blood," he instructed, picking up his glass again and staring at Win until the other vampire slowly picked up his glass of blood and sipped from it. Ben smiled at him.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2019, 07:00:50 PM »
Kerr's head swivelled to stare at Ben so rapidly that Kerr felt like an owl. He wanted him to stay? In a VIP room, no less?? Kerr blinked at Ben, wondering what sort of answers Win could possibly give that... and then Kerr got it.

Win was a source of information - about an enemy, no less.

It was good (but disconcerting) that Ben could see past the haze of Lazarus to the resource that Win represented. Kerr worried that it was possibly unhealthy for him to pursue details about Lazarus... but it would more likely be empowering. And enlightening. He wasn't sure Win had anything useful to tell them, after being away from the guy for a hundred and ninety odd years, but Ben obviously saw his potential, which made Kerr hopeful in response. As usual, he would defer to Ben.

He looked at Win, aware that he hadn't actually accepted Ben's offer of a room traded for answers, though he was drinking obediently. "Do you have a lot of things to collect at the Tropicana?" he prompted. "I'm just wondering if we should drive you over there to pick up your stuff or whether it would be easier to call them and pay to have it sent here," Kerr explained. He said 'we' should drive Win because it didn't seem right to offer to take Win by himself, not with Ben's interest in the other vampire roused.

VIP room level roused, no less.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2019, 07:09:56 PM »
Win, surprised and feeling like everything was happening even quicker than he was used to, looked from Ben to Kerr, thinking about some random person collecting his things. He didn't really have a lot, just one backpack. None of it was particularly sentimental, either, so if something got left behind it was no big deal.

"Sure, I don't mind it being sent over," he said, looking as dazed as Kerr had initially felt. His stare found Ben again, whose smile broadened a tiny bit further as he took another sip over the rim of his glass. For Win, electricity crackled between them and he drank from his own glass again, this time copying Ben's lead instead of the other way around.

Ben said nothing more but watched Win intently. Kerr had spoken about Ben's amazing eyes and he had to agree. He looked into them, feeling like they were chips of magic ice that seemed to penetrate his soul whilst giving nothing away. Ben had been pretty expressive with his face but now, hiding most of it behind his drink and doing nothing but watching and smiling, who knew what was going on in his head? Win felt lost, unsure of his next move. It was terrifying and exhilarating.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2019, 08:01:25 PM »
Kerr watched the two of them watching each other and it affected him, too. Unlike Win, Kerr knew exactly what Ben was feeling because it was communicated to him through their blood bond. He also knew that look on Ben's face all too well. It was one that had unnerved him more than once, because it was so predatory. He honestly believed Ben had been born a predator, vampirism had just honed his instinct.

Ben knew he had control of the situation now. He had a willing victim in his sights and he was calculating what he could get out of it, luxuriating in that sublime moment of unknown delight, where anything is possible and all the knowledge could be his. He was looking at Win like a delicious meal and, frankly, Kerr didn't think he was wrong. Win was, self-proclaimed, 'easy'. He was the type to go with the flow, the type to concede and appease. He'd rolled over and shown Ben his belly and Ben was taking a moment to enjoy the view.

He was also finding Win sexually interesting, by the feel of things. It stirred Kerr's memory of being pressed close to Win, of having him loom over him and kiss him up against his car. He shared that memory with Ben now, just as he'd shared his date with Jake, allowing Ben to experience Win's tongue, his taste, his erection pushing against him with increasing urgency, followed by the declaration that he needed to stop kissing lest he get messy. While he did it, Kerr rested his hand on Ben's ass and spoke to Win, as if there was nothing untoward going on whatsoever.

"Do you have a key for your room?" he enquired, holding his other palm out towards Win. "I'll have one of my staff come up and collect it, then go get your stuff and hand it in for you. Given that your 'bill' was settled, I'm sure the key would be the only sticking point in moving you from there to here." He smiled at Win, partially feeling sorry for him now that he'd primed Ben with the most sensual information about the brunette that he had and was about to walk past him, out of the room to the nearest landline to make a call to the front desk.

He was relieved that he didn't mind thinking about Win sexually again, though he wasn't dwelling on the thought of Win with his other fledgeling. If Cub were here, he was sure they'd enjoy a nice foursome but since he was separate, it felt wrong to include him even in his thoughts. Best to think of Win as an entity unto himself, apart from Lazarus and Cub, attractive in his own right.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2019, 08:49:25 PM »
Kerr wasn't wrong about Ben's thoughts. He was remembering how Win had looked him over hungrily as soon as they'd met. It was peculiar how much his expression had mimicked his sire's at that point, but he supposed lust was lust and perhaps a hungry look of that type could be found on all manner of faces. Win was far more expressive and open than the blonde who'd pulled him into vampirism and Ben liked that about him; that responsiveness and even the obedience. He'd suggested Win look out the window and that was where they'd found him on their return. He'd told Win to drink up his blood instead of going, and that was what he'd done. He'd asked Win all kinds of questions that weren't his business and was given the answers.

It was nice to be acknowledged in such a way instead of spoken down to or to be told he was too young or too inexperienced or that he was too deep in over his head. Win responded him in a way that he'd been yearning for a while now; he was being obeyed instead of questioned or challenged. It was exhausting, having to prove himself over and over.

Kerr gave him clarity in the form of a shared memory. Ben felt the memory as though it was him that Win had come onto, pressed himself against, kissed. Ben's eye-contact dropped as he closed his eyes momentarily to better experience and savour it. The memory was gone too quickly, injected into him.

Win saw it pass between them. He knew it wasn't communication but some kind of sensation. He had no idea that Kerr was sharing the memory of their kiss and would've been surprised if he'd been told. But he knew it was something that affected Ben, because when the glaze over his eyes sharpened, it regathered its intensity and Win felt it almost like it was a physical thing.

When Kerr prompted for his key, Win pulled out his wallet and took out the metal object. An actual key, that was how low-tech the hotel was. It was a shiny golden thing with a large red ribbon tag with Tropicana Hotel printed in faded black along it, and a huge number '10' on the other side in case the person who owned said key couldn't remember their room. He placed the key onto Kerr's open palm and folded his wallet, repocketing it.

Ben drank deeply out of his glass as Kerr walked away, finishing what was in there. Win took the last swallow of his own and stepped around the coffee table towards Ben, stopping an arm's length away.

"I don't know what you want," Win said quietly.

"Don't you?" Ben arched a brow.

"I don't want to make a mistake," Win admitted.

"I'll let you know if you make one," Ben promised, and set his now-empty glass down. When he straightened, Win had stepped closer to him but then he stopped, as if they were playing the childish game of 'statues' where the protagonist had to freeze when the person they were sneaking up on decided to look their way.

They could both hear Kerr make the call, his Irish lilt a soft murmur. Win wasn't game to touch Ben just yet even though it had sounded like an invitation to. He was enjoying the spark between them just looking at the blonde. Kerr returned to find them standing closer together but not saying or doing anything.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2019, 09:10:27 PM »
Kerr raised his eyebrows as he walked back towards them, hearing the lift move downward. The staff member he'd requested come get the key would be here soon. He tucked his fingertips into the front pockets of his jeans as he watched Ben and Win's staring contest, the key still in his hand.

"Soooo, Win's in room twenty-four oh one. Do we, uh, want to meet the lift when Steve comes to get the key and maybe go down and get him settled in?" Kerr asked Ben pointedly. Win's opinion clearly didn't matter.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2019, 09:12:03 PM »
Ichabod had been working when the text arrived, in the middle of checking out the academy budget and running through reviews of the lecturers and attendance to see whether it was worth keeping up so many courses, or increasing the number of some of the classes for the more popular ones. He'd heard his phone buzz in his jacket pocket, but ignored it until he was finished with what he was working on. He'd only planned on being here for a couple of hours, and had been debating whether to text Win to see if he fancied meeting up, since he knew he'd blown him off a couple of times on busy nights.

He had intended on meeting up with the older vampire again - they'd had fun and Win had been so easy to get along with. He'd actually felt like he relaxed with him for the first time in months. They would need to step up the pace on finding someone to take over all this, someone who had more expereince who could probably get through it much faster (and to a better quality!).

He slid his wheeled chair to the hook his jacket was hung on and dug it out, a smile appearing on his lips when he saw it was from Kerr. That instantly faded again when he read it.

Fuck.

He'd meant to talk to Kerr about Win, to try to plan a time when Win could maybe meet Murphy, to ease Ben into it (although Ichabod knew he probably wouldn't be the best person to break it to his brother).

Kerr knew about them? What had Win told him? No, not just Kerr, Ben too. We. He pursed his lips, unsure of the reasoning behind Kerr's praise when he didn't know what Win had told them. He didn't sound annoyed that he hadn't told them though.

He re-wrote a response a couple of times before pressing send:

I was going to come talk to you about him. Is Ben ok? Where did you meet him? x

After pressing send he then moved on to text Win, not realising he was still with them.

I hear you met Kerr & Ben, hope it went alright. Sorry I've been so busy, want to meet up? You ok? x

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2019, 09:25:48 PM »
"Good idea," Ben said warmly, reaching out to take Kerr's hand and stepping away. He glanced over his shoulder at Win but didn't offer him his hand, to see how quickly the other would follow. They took four steps before Win got moving. Ben wasn't sure what that meant but there'd definitely been a pause.

They were all waiting in the foyer when Steve arrived. Win stood slightly apart from the couple, eyeing them every now and then until the doors opened and the employee smiled at them, dressed in his smart uniform. They bundled into the lift. Win put his back to one of the side walls so he could look at the other two when someone's cellphone made a muted noise. Shortly after, Win's cellphone dinged to say he'd received a text and buzzed in his back pocket. Not too many people had his number. He pulled it out and looked at the screen. The message was from Cub.

He remembered how Kerr had texted someone before - he'd guessed Cub and now he knew he was right - and now they were both getting texts from him. Win decided to answer quickly, concerned about what Kerr might respond with... though Cub had texted that he was under the impression the get together had gone well. A good sign.

Still with them atm. Checking into a room at Luminary. Would love to catch up. What night you thinking? x

He sent the little 'x' kiss back because it was cute.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2019, 09:45:18 PM »
Kerr smirked at Ben's agreement and held his hand on the way to the lift, wondering why he was looking at Win until he realised the other vampire was lagging. The silence as they waited for the lift wasn't awkward but it was... pregnant with expectation. Thoughts were kept inside, yet they were all likely wondering about the same thing.

When the lift came, Kerr smiled at Steve and switched into professional mode. He only had four floors of lift travel to check Steve knew what he was doing - he ignored the text he received in order to exchange keys (the Tropicana's old school metal for The Luminary's credit card-style key to room 2401), point Win out and tell Steve to bring everything back to his room when he returned. Peripherally, he noticed that Win fiddled with his phone but was too busy checking Steve knew where to go and how he was going to get there (drive his own car and be reimbursed for fuel) to worry about it.

They got out on the twenty-fourth floor after Kerr gave Steve final instructions and walked to Win's door. Kerr handed over his key with a smile and then reached for his phone. When he saw it was an Ichabod text, he looked over at Win suspiciously. "Did you get a text from Ichabod too?" he asked on a hunch, listening as he started to send a reply back to his fledge.

Ben's surprisingly fine - he decided Win should to stay here, not me. Says he'll ask Murphy if he wants to meet him some other time. Met him at Venture - talk about random!

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2019, 12:33:40 AM »
Ichabod got Win's response first, but waited until he also got Kerr's (knowing it would come quickly) before replying. He went for Kerr first, hoping that Kerr would be distracted by replying to him when Win received his response. There was something about Win being close to Ben and Kerr which made him wary. No, not close to Ben and Kerr. Ben. Especially if it was his brother suggesting Win stay close to them.

I thought it might be good for him to meet Murphy too. Must suck for both to have such a shit sire. I'm lucky to have you. x Ok, so Kerr hadn't been around much and Ichabod knew he'd been keeping his distance himself since his return, but it was confusing and Ichabod still hadn't worked out exactly where he stood in it all.

Now to Win - Ichabod wasn't happy about him living in such close quarters with Ben. Especially when it was Ben's suggestion. The brothers had come a long way, but Icabod knew Ben was capable of so much vindictiveness, holding grudges, taking out his frustrations on people who didn't always deserve it. And since he knew Win was Lazarus', would it make any difference to him if they hadn't seen each other for centuries?

Tomorrow night if you're busy tonight? Be careful with Ben. x

He didn't know what else to say. He didn't want to send a lengthy message about it, but he didn't trust Ben being all buddy-buddy and offering up a place to live to someone linked with Lazarus. He'd want something in return. Win was old enough to look after himself, but Ben... As much as Ichabod tried to get past it, there was a history there to put him on edge.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2019, 07:05:56 AM »
"Yeah," Win replied as soon as Kerr asked the question about his text from Cub. Funny, he couldn't think of him as an 'Ichabod' because his nickname suited him so much better. Cub was a masculine name, for someone who was youthful, strong, modern and fun. Ichabod was the name of the uptight fellow in the tale of the Headless Horseman, an aged tale that had been published in Win's time, not long after he'd been made a vampire. The association of his full name was all wrong.

When he entered the VIP suite, he was impressed. The place was like a smaller variation of the penthouse upstairs. Instead of an aquarium being the foyer's feature, he had a twisting statue of something that looked like two gazelles, though it was very abstract. Made out of two different woods, one red, one blonde, it held his gaze for a moment before he looked past it at Ben, walking around the other side of it. Ben wasn't looking at the statue but at Win as he moved past. The voltage returned and Win moved farther into the suite, following the blonde.

He heard Kerr receive a message behind him but didn't turn. His gaze was locked on Ben as he headed for the windows. Win could see the rolls above each one that looked like a border but were obviously roll-down shutters. He figured they were on a timer. The place was palatial, but that wasn't what impressed him. Kerr and Ben had set themselves up really nicely and were prepared for other vampires to enter the city. That was cool.

Ben stopped walking before he got to the space where the couches were assembled and Win stopped right beside him, their shoulders brushing before Win turned to look at Ben, more enchanted with his eyes than the view. Ben continued looking out the window though peripherally Win knew he must be aware of being stared at. His broadening smile gave him away before he turned to face Win.

"Burning me into your memory?" Ben challenged.

"Figuring out how I can kiss you," Win admitted.

Ben laughed softly. "I already know what it's like to kiss you," he said. At first Win was confused, staring at Ben's face as he worked it out, then realised that must have been what had been shared between him and Kerr. Woah, kinky. They'd done that in front of him! He ripped his gaze away to look at Kerr, watching them. Win's phone chirped in his pocket and he looked back at Ben. Would it be rude to look at his phone? He thought so. The atmosphere seemed charged, but it wasn't entirely sexual tension. He wasn't sure what else the air was mixed with.

"That'll be Ichabod," Ben said, gesturing.

Now Win felt he had to check. He'd wanted to so that had worked out well. He pulled out his phone and read the message, unable to hide the puzzlement at the warning. How exactly should he be careful with Ben? Was there something he shouldn't talk about? The vague reference was maddening enough that he wanted to reply but as he started typing, Ben spoke.

"What did he message you?" Ben asked, for he hadn't missed that curious expression that passed over Win's face, like he'd been taken aback by something. The guilty look he got next spiked his interest but also concerned him. "Don't you want to tell me?" Ben's irritation flared at Ichabod. Win had been so forthcoming with his answers - he hadn't hesitated once in answering them. As soon as Ichabod started texting him, Win clammed up.

What the fuck?

"He wants to hook up tomorrow night," Win replied, pocketing his phone again without sending a message. 'Hook up' was an assumption because he'd figured they'd go out somewhere, and who knew what would happen from there? Win glanced first at Kerr before looking back at Ben, who was staring at him like he knew there was more. Win stared back until the sensation of wanting to confess the full message rose in him. It almost bubbled to the surface when Ben stepped forward, pressing himself against Win, hands moving around his back and tilting his head upwards to capture his lips. Win was so surprised at the maneouvre that his eyes remained open for a brief moment before he settled into the kiss, returning it and feeling a stirring in his pants once more.

His mind reeled. Ben kissing him after he announced Cub wanted sex with him tomorrow was a weird reaction. Maybe Ben was turned on by the idea of kissing the same guys his fledge brother did. Perhaps they shared everyone. But Win had the idea that Kerr belonged to Ben alone... except their relationship was open? It was too confusing. He stopped thinking about it and just enjoyed the kiss for what it was. Now that he was focussing on it, he deepened it, one hand moving to Ben's nape, the other stroking up and down his back, pulling him closer for more pressure once his hand got to the small of Ben's back.

It was different to kissing Kerr. That exchange had been deep and slow and with promises of hot sex. The barbell on his tongue certainly attributed to it. Ben's kiss was deep and slow as well, but it had more of that fluttery excited feeling about it, Ben had a method of almost breaking it off like the kiss would end before going back in again. He liked keeping things more playfully on the lips rather than intensely duelling tongues. Win had a few moments of disappointment that the kiss wasn't going to last as long until he started picking up on the rhythm of it.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2019, 09:26:06 AM »
Kerr allowed them the kiss but he knew it couldn't go beyond that. Ichabod had first claim to Win's time and he'd just told the brunette that he wanted him tomorrow night. It wouldn't be right.

You need to stop, he said into Ben's mind, putting some force behind it so that Ben felt compelled to follow his instruction. He's Ichabod's. This can't go any farther.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2019, 09:37:41 AM »
Ben broke off the kiss once Kerr spoke into his mind. When their lips parted, Ben shot Kerr a resentful glare.

You fucking kissed him.

Still, Ben shifted away from Win, breaking their respective holds.

Win felt the loss of Ben but he didn't try to keep the hold. Instead, he lowered a hand to the crotch of his jeans and pulled the material to one side, adjusting himself next so that he had a bit of room. Damn, these two were playing his body masterfully.

Ben, meanwhile, had more to follow up with Kerr. He's not Ichabod's, anyway. Win wasn't even on his fucking radar anymore, he'd been blown off... until you texted him he was with us and suddenly Ichabod wants his fucktoy back.

As Ben and Kerr had their quiet conversation, Win headed for the windows, not for the view but to give himself some privacy as he faced the city and pulled his phone out. He deleted the few words that had been on the screen in response to Cub's text, and he restructured his message slightly.

Tomorrow sounds great. I'll meet you in the Lum foyer at eight? We can decide from there what to do.