Author Topic: Rolling In The Deep  (Read 13259 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Rolling In The Deep
« on: September 16, 2019, 12:55:07 PM »
Kerr walked the streets for ages, racing the anger, striding alongside the despair, flipping through justifications and contemplating consequences until all he had was pain. And still, he walked. He wasn't going to return home tonight. He had a vague feeling he might just stay in one of the rooms downstairs, if he even made it back to the Luminary but he didn't want to go back. He was too emotional. If he went back tonight, he might walk out permanently because he couldn't see the point of having the same argument over and over.

The White Rabbit was where his feet took him... but maybe it was his heart. He needed a friend and he couldn't imagine taking this pain to anyone besides Jake - though he recognised it was a bad idea, too. Ben wouldn't approve of him sharing their relationship drama with his enemy and even Kerr knew it was a bad idea. If he badmouthed Ben to Jake, it could work against them in so many ways. It was a terrible, stupid, astronomically bad idea.

Except he needed comfort and he trusted Jake to do that for him, despite the cause. He wouldn't have to tell him why he was there. Jake would know. He'd be a shoulder to cry on and he wouldn't ask questions. Probably.

Kerr walked into the bar and looked around, liking the dark, noisy aesthetic of the place. It suited his mood. He was still wearing his jeans, boots and olive green T-shirt but he'd left his leather jacket at home. Oh well, he didn't fit the dress code. Luckily, he had his wallet and phone (he'd turned his phone off when he left The Luminary). He walked towards the bar to pay the cover charge, looking to see if there was anyone he recognised, kind of hoping Jake would be nearby. He'd ask to see him if he had to, wary of sending out mental feelers in a place like this. There was magic woven into the fabric of the building, he could feel it, and he didn't want to risk triggering something.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
Re: Rolling In The Deep
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 05:58:38 PM »
"Jake is proud of you I am sure of it," her elbow propped up on the bar as she cradled her head in her hand fascinated by Jakes heavenly daughter.

"I believe he is-" immediately Sam was cut off by the older vampire with a swish of her free hand accompanied with a delightful grin.

"Don't be so hard on yourself Sam I know Jake is proud. I have positively enjoyed your company tonight. You know your lore extraordinarily well and you have substance when you talk. I am absolutely impressed," giving Sam a flattering nod, then grasping her fake Bloody Mary with her free hand and taking a long sip.

"I appreciate it. It means a lot, " Sam expressed in a grateful and unpretentious tone. "Maria and I have informed Jake you are here and by your request not to rush. Jake will be happy to hear I have held your attention," her cheeks glowed light pink at the Ancients observation and sweet expression that rolled off her tongue.

Sam then excused herself for a matter concerning the bar and Brianna noticed the girl had three speeds, medium, fast and let's fucking go! Brianna would be making a point to tease Jake later about concealing this incredible little gem all to himself, pulling out her phone from her jacket pocket and opening up a Sudoku app to keep her attention occupied, not actively looking for company at the bar. The atmosphere was to Brianna's fondness and the modest changes in decor implemented and built by Sam's own hands were a nice touch. Brianna remembered fondly having 'tea' with Jake after she had been fired from the Oilgarchy, an inside joke between the two and it was the main reason she had chosen to come to the Central District before making a decision. The South would have been another possibility but Brianna did not know Saint Sabrina like Jake, it was already weird being back and as a citizen no less.

Brianna's choice of fashion hadn't differed from what she would have generally worn in the past, but her colour scheme had evolved. Tonight she dressed in a modest jean jacket, accompanied by a black shirt with a splash of colour along with three necklaces that adorned her slim neck, dark denim jeans and black suede boots completed the outfit. Jake might be surprised to see Brianna in anything but black and leather in texture, and that made her smile as her finger whizzed across the screen in the process of completing her Sudoku puzzle before moving onto another level. Totally oblivious to the other patrons already in the bar and to the ones that had just entered the White Rabbit.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 07:18:09 PM »
Kerr blinked when he realised who Sam was talking to. Brianna? He hadn't seen her since... he fired her, he didn't think. Fuck. He was not in the mood to go down that road tonight. Thankfully, she seemed immersed in her phone so he was able to circle around and head for the end of the bar where Sam was. He wasn't sure he'd spoken to her at length before but he knew who she was. She would definitely know where her sire was. He approached the bar in line with her, sidling a wary glance in Brianna's direction.

"Hey, Sam," he said quietly, summoning a smile from somewhere. Perhaps another dimension, that was kind of what it felt like on his face. He let it go as soon as Sam noticed him, like an animal released from a trap. "I was wondering how I'd go about seeing Jake?" he enquired with absurd politeness. "Is he here, perchance?"

He could've texted or rung him, Kerr realised belatedly, but that would involve turning his phone back on and he didn't want to be found. Even if it wasn't through texts or calls (not that he believed Ben would be after him just yet), Ben knew how to use the computer to find his phone. He'd figure out his location easily, if he wanted to. It was pure mysticism to Kerr but he'd done it once when Kerr had misplaced it, so he knew Ben could do it again.

He'd rather Ben not know he was at the White Rabbit until he was ready for him to know. That wouldn't be until he was ready to see his face again, frankly.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 06:33:17 AM »
"Oh hi Kerr!" Sam declared cheerfully, "Jake is not here right now but he should be back soon. I will message Jake for you right now. And can I get you anything?" Sam's had a bright grin on her face addressing Kerr in a welcoming and polite manner.

Sam could tell straight away something was wrong, Kerr was quiet, a little too quiet. To Sam, Kerr appeared different than what she had seen at the Academy, even though they had never talked at any length of time she had taken notice of his demeanour. Kerr was known to be a tactile individual when he spoke, even with people he had barely greeted. Best not to ask how his night is going something was bothering Kerr and he needed to confide in Jake. That much Sam could tell and she had learned her lesson from her 'blonde moment' at the opening of the Academy with Jake.

Sam would play it safe and remain open to Kerr, talk about the Academy and above all keep away from the subject of politics. If Kerr wanted to chit chat with Sam great, if not, then she was not going to push Kerr into talking. Sam would make sure Kerr was comfortable and treated as an honorary guest of the White Rabbit.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 07:47:19 AM »
Jake was not home, but Lisa-Joe Hampton was, and observed Jake's arch rival's boy toy chatting up his fledge like they were friendly. She scoffed near her place at the opposite end of the main bar, a rag thrown over her shoulder and her hair tied up into a functional pony tail. She wore her general bar barb, a mini skirt, checkered blouse, and earrings made of shrapnel. The crowd was good tonight, and so up until Kerr's pre midnight entrance, she'd be in a good mood. Kerr being here was only trouble for Jake, and he'd had enough of that lately. She resisted the urge to kick out the bastard, only because she knew Jake would never approve.

The Brujah made her way down the bar, stopping next to Sam. "Well, hey there Sam," she cooed to her niece of sorts. "You didn't tell me we had a very important guest tonight, an Ex-Luminary no less!"

It was true southern charm, of course mixed in with healthy doses of shade. She put her emphasis on "ex" before turning to address Kerr directly. "Ex-Luminary Galvin," she said, as formally as possible. "Has District Leader McCloud been alerted to your presence? I'm sure he wouldn't want to leave you sipping drinks within our humble establishment and did Mr. Samson send you to us this evening, or is your visit... personal?"

The prose was flowery, but the tone was poison. Zoheret would've been proud, maybe, probably not. She didn't notice the other important guest in the room, not yet anyways. 

Sam would receive a text. Another bloody meeting? Can we just cancel everything and watch a movie or something? Tell her I'm five minutes away. Is LJ there, or Maria?
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 10:55:41 AM »
Kerr was in the middle of telling Sam that he was fine and thanking her for letting Jake know he was here when he was approached by Lisa-Joe, cutting his words off mid-sentence. He looked at her coldly, noting her pointed reference to his former position in the Oligarchy. Somebody was holding a grudge.

"It's personal. I need to see Jake. Sam was just saying she'd let him know I was here. I'll wait... somewhere else," he declared then turned back to offer Sam a tiny smile. "Thanks for your help," He turned to make his way towards a table apart from the bar; as far away from Lisa-Joe as he could get, preferably.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 11:42:12 AM »
"You're welcome," she stated warmly to Kerr. Returning the tiny smile she had received from Kerr with her own shy smile, feeling terrible about how the interaction had gone and how Lisa-Joe had handled Kerr. Yes, he was a rival in this campaign. Nevertheless, he was still Sam's colleague at the Academy and had the right to the same respect. Her thoughts had been broken when she felt her phone buzz in her pocket, pulling it out and replying to Jake.

Two more meetings and then we can have movie night. You can do it ❤ and Kerr seems off... I don't think he is here for business. And yes Lisa-Joe is here right now.

Making up her mind to approach Kerr's table and at least inform him that Jake was only five minutes out, going around the bar and out to the floor. Mustering up the courage to approach his table by taking a single breath like Maria had taught her to do.

"Hey Kerr," getting his attention. "Jake will be here in five minutes I thought I let you know," masking the fact she felt awful about the interaction between Lisa-Joe and Kerr.

"If you need anything just holler," leaving Kerr alone and not wanting to be a bother.

Sam strolled across the floor and back behind the bar to inform Brianna Jake would be back in five minutes, little did Sam know Brianna had heard the whole exchange, but Brianna chose to ignore it. Of all the nights Brianna chose to meet with Jake Kerr had to show, a feeling of despair and shame washed over Brianna. That time of forgiveness had long since been washed under the bridge, making peace with the fact she would not be forgiven. Gripping her glass and taking a big gulp and setting it down, refocusing her attention once again to her Sudoku app on her phone.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 03:44:05 PM »
Jake entered the White Rabbit looking tired, and overall pissed. It had been a rough couple of days. The tabloids were going crazy with fake news about his administration's response to the fae attacks, and there was satire reporting that suggested he could walk in the day. It was all a mess, and several emails from Damien saying, say nothing yet, had left the District Leader with no outlet for his rage. After seeing Lan Bao's collection he'd sworn off destroying any more priceless artifacts, and he couldn't very well take it out on Sam and Lisa-Joe! He was tired of meetings. He was tired of work, and he wanted vey much to do nothing for the rest of the night. Now, he had not one meeting, but two.

Finding out Kerr was one of those meetings caught him off guard. What could he possibly need that would make him drop by? Jake went to the bar and spoke to Lisa-Joe, who pointed him over in Kerr's direction. Jake pulled her into a side hallway, hugging Sam real quick before he left the bar area. Lisa-Joe pointed to another vampire, who sat engrossed in her phone at the bar. Jake remembered this one, just barely. Jake decided to communicate telepathically, as for once he wasn't wearing the ring.

"Didn't we consider her for sheriff back in the day," he asked his friend and business partner. 

"Mmmmhmmmmm," Lisa-Joe replied, sounding musical even in thought. "Want to know why we didn't hire her? Guess!"

"Are you going to make a point," he snapped back in spoken word, his bad mood evident in his hate filled eyes.

"Calm down Sugah, I'm just giving you the 411. Isn't that one my duties as Harpy, to whisper everyone's secrets?"

She had a point, and so Jake waved on the rest of her explanation. "Him," she said pointing to Kerr.

"What do you mean," Jake thought, attempting to clarify.

Jake kept Lisa-Joe from hearing one thought. God this bitch can be dramatic.

Lisa-Joe continued on. "When we pulled her Oligrachy file we found that Kerr fired her, quite abruptly, and back then Kerr's judgement was the only one you cared about, or maybe still do."

Jake caught the passive aggressive bullshit. "I don't have time for this," he thought coldly. "Go deal with our latest guest, and if you think I should, set me up an appointment with her later. I need to figure out why Kerr is here. I'm sure it's to talk about the election."

"Oh I'm sure too," Lisa-Joe said verbally through gritted teeth, flicking Jake off for treating her like a secretary and storming off towards Brianna. By the time she reached the vampire, she already felt her age.

"Please excuse me, but Jake must attend to other engagements this evening, and has asked me to help you in whatever way I can. My name is Lisa-Joe Hampton, District Harpy, and the owner of this fine establishment. We can also schedule you for an appointment as early as tomorrow evening if you'd prefer that. We can go over everything in my office."   

She sounded half diplomat, half diner waitress and the overall effect was sweeter than her mood. If Brianna was at all was tuned in to Lisa-Joe's thoughts she'd feel rage.

Jake moved to Kerr's table, managed a smile, and sat. "Kerr? Why are you here?"

That came out poorly. "I mean, I'm glad you're here. Welcome. What brings you in?"

There. Better.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 04:03:43 PM »
Kerr should've been put off by Jake's mood; he could sense it rolling at him. Impatience. Manufactured politeness. Anger. It wasn't even that Jake wasn't wearing the ring that told Kerr, it was in the stiffness of his shoulders, the tightness of his smile, the slide of his gaze. Kerr was disappointed but figured he had nothing to lose in answering honestly.

"I'm here so I'm not at home screaming things I know I'll regret. If you're busy, that's cool, I just need somewhere to hide for a day or two. I'm hoping you can oblige. If you've got some time... then I need a friend. I was hoping it would be you," he stated calmly, meeting Jake's gaze once it came back to his. He would see mirroring tension and fury beneath the surface.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 10:26:53 AM »
Sam didn't need the bond to tell her Jake was exhausted and furious, returning the short hug before exiting the front of the bar and headed downstairs out of sight presently. Sam was constantly doing something at the White Rabbit, whether it was handling customers or doing paperwork and she was well known to vanish then reappear. It surprised a few people and that compelled Sam to smile. Prancing down the stairs and waving her arms above her head in a funny manner to blow off some steam, she had little private time between the Academy and helping with the White Rabbit during the campaign. And these walls enabled her to be silly and not care if someone employed at the White Rabbit seen her little act.

Brianna didn't need any special abilities to tell Lisa-Joe was annoyed and she wondered, what had all happened in her absence? The last thing Brianna wanted to do was go fishing for information, but it became apparent that's what she would have to do; hiding an internal sigh at the idea.

"That's quite alright," she grinned apologetically at Lisa-Joe, "perhaps you can help me. I am looking to inquire about permanent residency as a citizen." Brianna stressed the word "citizen" to Lisa-Joe, she had no plans of getting back into any kind of espionage work. And Brianna, for the time being, did not mention the South was another option presently.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 12:36:37 PM »
Jake listened on as Kerr explained his reasons for being here, and his own bad mood wasn't washed away, but it was made all the more complicated. Now, it also held concern for Kerr, curiosity for what happened, and a warm feeling connected to the idea that Kerr had chosen to come to him. Brunch seemed to have a two way effect after all. He extended a hand for Kerr to hold.

"Of course. Stay as long as you like," he started. He'd need to get Kerr a room downstairs, but that was easy enough. His other request was more complicated and he realized he and Sam might be starting that movie very late. "Are you hungry? Do you want to head downstairs? What can I do to help?"

He sounded concerned but still a little tired, but his eye contact and the way his body leaned forward suggested he was really here, despite his own issues.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 04:22:34 PM »
Kerr reached forward and threaded his fingers through Jake's, squeezing his hand tightly. Physical contact felt good but he yearned for more. He was relieved by the District Leader's acceptance of his request, grateful that Jake didn't twist the screws and run Ben down, even though he knew his lover was the cause for Kerr's presence. He was a friend. Kerr's heart swelled with appreciation for him and his casual consideration and willingness to help.

It made him feel safe and accepted. It was what he needed right now. That, and...

"I'm not hungry and I guess I'd like to head downstairs - is that where you live? - but I think what you can really do to help is to fight me." He waited a moment, gauging Jake's reaction before he explained, his expression darkening to match his mood and voice. "I really want to hit something that won't break - permanently - and be hit in return and you and I? We'll fix with some blood afterwards, if you're up for it? I want you to punch the shit out of me, break me, let me try to hurt you in return. I know it's a weird request, I just..."

He shrugged and trailed off to let Jake answer, clenching his friend's hand in encouragement. He needed to externalise some of the pain he was feeling and this seemed like a good way to do that. To focus on something besides being told not to 'force your discomfort or an exit on me ever again' because those words were a litany in his head and he needed them out. Or a distraction from them, whichever worked best. Knocking them out forcibly was his first choice.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 04:47:07 PM »
Jake liked the contact of their hands, the way they laced together so naturally. It soothed some of his nerves, that is, until Kerr made his unusual request. Jake was determined to let Damien tame him and reign him in, but Damien didn't understand all that emotion needed to go somewhere. Kerr was offering an outlet. He recognized that movie night with Sam and Lisa-Joe was probably a healthier way to deal with his troubles, but Jake couldn't help but be drawn to a brooding and slightly broken man. There was a reason Lazarus had managed to swim into his bed.

Besides, Jake pretended otherwise, but he still got off on a little violence. The idea of fighting Kerr was hot, hitting Kerr was hot, being hit by Kerr was hot. He knew Kerr wouldn't really hurt him, and that they could stop whenever they wanted, but as long as they were both consenting adults Jake didn't see anything wrong with this method of expression.

"Ugh, yeah, I converted a whole network of maintenance tunnels and sewer facilities into my HQ. It was the Nosferatu's idea. Have you really never been here? It's all very MI6."

He wrapped an arm around Kerr and started leading him towards the elevator. Lisa-Joe pouted and shot a cold look at him as she led Brianna in the same direction towards her office. Jake quickly greeted Brianna, since they were passing next to one another, and thanked Lisa-Joe for taking on the meeting.

Jake's chummy look with Kerr engaged Lisa-Joe, and she hated Jake so easily forgot who the bad guys were. This Kerr might be acting like a friend now, but how many Anarch secrets were going back to Ben? Would he ever stand up for Jake if Ben was wrong, publicly? There were too many questions, and the Harpy had grown weary of Jake's daddy issues influencing policy. 

Jake got them into the elevator. "I hope you don't mind a few low ceilings," he said, smiling apologetically, looking cuter and less weary than before.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 06:41:19 PM »
"I've only briefly walked into the bar once," Kerr countered, a sheepish grin lifting the left side of his mouth as he recalled his cheeky minimal effort when notifying Jake that he and Ben were moving back into The Luminary. It had brought Jake calling just to let them know he was pissed. He and Ben had had a fight that night, too. Over Jake. Kerr recoiled from the thought and focussed back on Jake. "I've really never been here."

He was glad he was there now. He curled a comfortable arm around Jake in return and did his best to avoid making eye contact with either Lisa-Joe or Brianna - though he failed and ended up giving Brianna an acknowledging nod. It seemed she was back from wherever it was she'd gone; he made a mental note to seek her out when he was in a less agitated state. Lisa-Joe's glare bored straight into him and he bristled, narrowing his eyes right back at her and leaning over to kiss Jake's temple just because it seemed like it would piss her off even more. He wasn't in the mood for her judgement and Jake's approval was like a shield, protecting him from her silent wrath.

Once they were in the lift alone, Kerr could focus on Jake alone and he felt infinitely better. "Well, I came here to hit my head on something, so... " he shrugged and laughed harshly, his eyes glittering with the excitement of the upcoming pugilism. Anticipation was thrumming through him; it felt almost like sexual arousal, though his body wasn't responding in that way. It was an odd but welcome feeling. He looked down at Jake, assessing him. He seemed as unhappy as Kerr himself was, though the promise of violence had perked him up a little, too. He was still ridiculously good looking, even if he was feeling as ugly on the inside as Kerr was. "You doing okay?" he asked seriously, giving Jake a squeeze.

Was he really thinking punching that pretty face - so much better suited to kissing than breaking - was a good idea... ? Yes. Yes, he was. He was relishing the notion.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2019, 07:18:58 AM »
Jake was happy to give Kerr the tour, although they both knew that's not why he was really here. He ignored Lisa-Joe's childish huffs for his attention, her interference in his personal life starting to annoy him. To be fair, he interfered in her's too. It was the problem with being best friends who ran a district. He tried to remember that she was just looking out for him. He needed people like that.

The kiss on the temple he guessed was for her, and seeing how she stared at Kerr like he was tissue paper she wanted to tear, Jake reasoned Kerr got his point across. He made no attempt to explain her behavior or apologize for her. Her relationships with people were her relationships, not his. Besides, Kerr had handled cookies just as tough. When Kerr asked about Jake's own mood, he seemed caught off guard, much happier to talk about Kerr's problems than his.

"It's been a rough couple of days," he said, trying to look unbothered. "And... I'm single again. No, I don't want to talk about it." He soured at his previous stop this evening. It had needed to happen, but still hurt just the same. "Know anybody who's looking to get embraced," he asked mockingly. The lift finished it's trip down, and opened into a tight hallway. One path led to Jake's apartments, but he took the other path towards district headquarters.

"Follow me," he said. "It's a labyrinth down here."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.