Author Topic: Paint It Black  (Read 10777 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Paint It Black
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2019, 03:56:33 PM »
Kerr smiled, finding the image alluring enough to respond with one of his own - similar in form, except Kerr changed the situation to he and Ben having a polite conversation across Ben's work desk and the naughty mortal (who happened to be Cain, in Kerr's fantasy) was secreted beneath the desk, doing his best to distract while they maintained an important conversation above.

He tilted his head, noting Ben's reaction when he shared his thought. It was almost like... he didn't want Kerr to know what his fantasies were? How odd. They'd done some outlandish things during their relationship - public places, floating in the air, dressing up for one another, the usual stuff - but he supposed they hadn't really pushed any boundaries into other situations or even roleplay. Had that been a deliberate choice, on Ben's part?

"You don't have to be embarrassed," Kerr assured him gently. "It's weird that we've never talked about this but I'm open to anything. I guess I never initiated anything unusual because I just like being with you in any form and normal was a relief after life with Sawyl. It wasn't because I'm opposed or a prude. I've probably seen it done, if I haven't tried it - usually against my will, admittedly - and I doubt you could shock me. I'd shock you, though," he said wryly, pulling a face as he thought back to some of the more hideous plans Sawyl had devised. Usually involving children or animals. He shuddered for effect.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2019, 06:20:17 PM »
Ben was fascinated with Kerr's responding scene. For as long as he could remember, Kerr had resisted them having an open relationship. He'd certainly never thought he would allow someone to be a pet in the house. He'd thought they'd never go there because now they had the donors, but Ben wasn't really interested in any of them. Cain or Charlie were perhaps the only ones he could muster any desire for, but even they felt too easy. He wanted someone who could provide a bit of fight. Consentual, of course. Maybe not, though, because Win's willingness had appealed.

"I thought you wouldn't want the whole pet setup," Ben said with wonder.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2019, 06:43:06 PM »
Startlement was easy to read on Kerr's face when Ben mentioned a pet. He hadn't realised that that was what Ben had been getting at, he'd thought he'd been shown just an incidental dalliance with a mortal being in a submissive role. The dynamic shifted when he realised Ben meant someone long term, someone he anticipated being in their lives permanently, staying in their home, being their sexual plaything, feeding them if they needed it, able to crawl into their bed whenever they wanted... or were ordered to.

A throb of lust pulsed in Kerr's groin as he imagined Cain available to them at any time of the night and he felt himself hardening as his brain took that thought and ran with it. Cain naked between he and Ben, Cain clothed in leather, Cain on his knees in so many ways. It put Ben's interest in Win into a different perspective now - as did the fact that Ben's projected thought had communicated different faces on the man naked and kneeling at their feet. He'd thought about this before; as far back as years ago, when Cain was actually in their lives? Huh.

Kerr grinned shyly at Ben as he adjusted his position on the bed, tugging at his shorts as subtly as he was able. "I hadn't thought about it like that," he admitted, "but... it appeals. Having a willing mortal around - as long as they're in agreement - to play with would be, well, yes, it interests me," he finished, feeling a little flustered. This was what was driving Ben's interest in men he could manipulate; his desire to dominate them, not his need to have control because he felt helpless. He liked the power play. Though something in him recognised that servitude in any form was wrong... Kerr's response made it clear to both of them that he could get behind a consensual arrangement.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2019, 06:59:40 PM »
Ben realised that Kerr hadn't quite got the full message when he saw first surprise then consideration. He smiled lightly when Kerr shifted and then spoke positively before saying he was interested.

"I'm really happy that you're open to this, but I don't understand why you can accept this now when I know I've brought it up before and been made to feel like it's not a normal desire. I've seen it in my movie memories. I've heard my words, seen your reaction. Seen my over-reaction, though I don't feel that part I can still tell. But... you even said it just moments ago, that I'm enough for you, that you choose me and... it makes me feel like I'm an asshole for wanting something more, or different. I guess now I have to accept that I'm... incomplete?"

He didn't like that word, but 'empty' hadn't felt right and 'broken' was all kinds of wrong.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2019, 08:50:55 PM »
Kerr frowned, his tongue stud rolling around in his mouth as Ben pushed him to explain himself. He was coming off as a bit of a hypocrite and he, with his inclination for detailed narrative, chose to take some time to compose his answer. He wanted to be sure he didn't miss a point that might clarify his purpose. First, he nodded ruminatively at Ben's assessment of himself.

"Unfinished, unpolished, still growing," he offered as alternatives to the harsher-sounding 'incomplete'. "But I think you're selling yourself short, with such labels. It's not unusual for mortals of your age to be unformed and you've a convoluted background. Your heart was broken early and you threw yourself obsessively into finding an eternal life that would give you the amount of time you needed to properly compose yourself from a single movement into a four-movement symphony. You poured everything into it, to the detriment of your emotional and social development so it's not a surprise to me that your development is uneven," he shrugged.

It was certainly a much more eloquent presentation than his earlier directive to 'grow up and own his shit', Kerr acknowledged ruefully.

"And what your movie memories and your current schism are failing to use for clarification is my development, beginning from when you came into my life. Don't forget, I loved one woman my entire mortal life and she was someone I could never hold, never visit, never claim for my own because I was her secret lover. Once I was sired and my life destroyed, there was only Sawyl and my relationship with him was hardly traditional or nurturing. No-one's meet-cute includes the punchline 'because Stockholm syndrome brought us together'," Kerr laughed wryly, giving Ben a pained smile.

"It was only once we came to this city - in the middle of the supernatural apocalypse - that my family went feral enough to release their hold on me. When the Oligarchy cleaned everything up, there were still so many species and possibilities for them to explore that my leash was finally loosened. I met you at a pivotal time of change and, unfortunately for you, you became my catalyst, my saviour and my raison d'etre. Like a man clinging to a buoy, you dragged me out of a prison and I fell hard for you. You were kept from me for so long, also, that when I finally got you for myself, I clung to you with everything I could, smothering you."

Kerr's mouth twisted and he looked regretful.

"I'm not proud of it but I know I've changed. My mindset has, anyway. You're why. I had the traditional belief that two people made a relationship work and monogamy was the only acceptable choice, so I was always completely threatened by any other alternative. Let's face it, you're better looking than me, more socially astute than me and more charismatic than me. Nobody looks at me twice when you're beside me," he chuckled, his words honest and in no way resentful. He wasn't blind.

"So when you suggested anything other than me getting to have you in the way I always wanted to have Tara - as mine completely - I balked. We fought. Often. I've been changing too, though and it took me 'dying' to really figure it out. When I came back and you were still waiting for me, I knew. I was finally confident enough to release my stranglehold on you because I know you'll come back to me. We'll be connected forever and that would be torturous if you were constricted into something that suffocated you, rather than nourished."

He smiled crookedly at Ben, thinking of how it had backfired with Saraekiel but trying to come to terms with that, too.

"I don't want anyone else because that's me. You're just different and that's okay. I have passing fancies for people - like Win - but it's really only for a taste of something different to share with you. I don't want to stagnate, either and new experiences are fun. They don't compel me like they do you, but I also have learnt that I'm okay with sharing you. Physically. I sometimes feel jealousy - my exaggerated emotions about last night notwithstanding - and I worry that that will put you off because... I don't know if that's against the rules or not? I guess we make the rules, though. Basically, I don't know if I'll ever want someone without including you. I came close with Jake last night so I suppose it's possible but... I dunno," he shrugged and then his expression grew concerned.

"What I'm most afraid of is that I'll smother you and you'll start to resent me, so I agreed to do what makes you happy because you are what makes me happy. Does that make sense? I know it's changed over time because I have. As much as you're growing, I still am too, in many way, so hopefully you can find some reassurance in that. We're all works in progress, unfinished scores and dancers without choreography. I'm sorry if I ever made you feel less for desiring something different. My reactions came from fear. I don't think of either of us as 'right' or 'wrong' and I don't judge us like that, if that's what you're feeling?" he asked hesitantly, tucking his air quotes away, back into his lap.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2019, 09:19:14 PM »
It was a lot to process. Ben was still thinking about parts of it when Kerr's speech continued, hitting upon notes that Ben wanted to savour - but he didn't dare interrupt, fascinated with where all of this was going.

"Long story short, we've both changed," he summarised. It was crass shorthand for the beauty that had come from Kerr's words but also appropriate. "I do feel like you came back different, which shouldn't make sense because you didn't have time to change like I did but... you explained your thought process."

He stared at his sire, his lover, his everything... for a long moment as he sat in silence. He wanted to reach out and touch him but didn't want to ruin the moment with a pulling away. He didn't think Kerr would, but it was hard to know when less than 24 hours ago, Ben had been with someone Kerr despised. It was a shame the person he was attracted to wasn't compatible to both of them. It made him think of the man who'd turned Kerr's head.

"I tried capturing something with Cain," he said. He couldn't remember if he'd told Kerr or not. He thought he had. "But we were both too sad that you were dead and it didn't feel right without you. We just reminded each other that we wanted someone else."

He was well aware that Cain Erling was on Lovebite, seeking to be a pet. Kerr had even commented to him about it, so he'd noticed, too. Was it too soon, though? Or perhaps the earlier the better, to focus on exploring something new instead of the brutal past and the mistakes it held.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2019, 09:41:18 PM »
Kerr laughed breathily at Ben's summary, finding himself unsettled when his final question wasn't answered as succinctly but telling himself to take it as an affirmative that Ben agreed with his thinking. No one was right or wrong, just... different. He needed to stop expanding on everything and waffling ad nauseam. Ben would get bored.

His back straightened automatically when Ben mentioned he'd tried to have something with Cain, the same feeling of shame coming to him as the last time Ben had mentioned him. It was something he needed to get a handle on. He hadn't been able to picture Ben and Cain having sex as vividly then, though, because he hadn't had Ben's little teaser fantasy to work with. He didn't recall being told they'd tried sex and just been sad but he might've blocked it out.

Mainly, he was uncomfortable because he thought Ben might initiate something now and as much as Kerr loved him and was able to sit here having a conversation about their darkest desires and fondest wishes, he wasn't capable of touching his love yet. Not even with Cain in the middle. Every time he thought about sex, his insides clenched with revulsion because all he could imagine was Ben's orgasm face and him crying out against Saraekiel's shoulder, the evil fuck pumping into Ben's body in ecstasy and... and it made him want to cry and vomit.

But he was being stupid and dramatic. Ben wasn't angling towards sex, just acquiring a pet.

"Are you actually attracted to Cain?" he asked quietly, his curiosity piqued. If Ben was... he could certainly imagine them inviting the mortal with mismatched eyes around as a form of interview, once Kerr had got past... other stuff. They'd need someone discreet if they were to go ahead with this process and Cain was trustworthy, he felt. Unwelcome judgement and slander might come their way if this story got out and Kerr wasn't prepared for Ben to lose the election based on his private lifestyle choices.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2019, 09:55:52 PM »
Ben hummed and nodded. "More so now that he's older and more muscle-y," he said, remembering that the first time he'd spied Cain the mortal had been seventeen. Now he was in his early twenties somewhere. It was hard to know exactly but he'd lost a bit of his boyish face and had the kind of look closer to what Ben preferred. "He was the only one of the donors that Vomas didn't scam out of their money, actually, because he left a bit earlier. I don't know what he's doing now. I hardly see him at Venture."

Damn, he hoped Cain wasn't a regular at Jake's shitty bar. Wait, he'd seen him recently somewhere unexpected. Where had that been? He racked his memory.

"I have his number. Do you want to call him? I bet he'd jump at the chance of reconnecting with you." He smiled but he was considering Kerr's reaction mostly. "See if you still like him."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2019, 10:08:26 PM »
Kerr was reassured that Ben found the mortal attractive. It meant there was a definite possibility for both of them having something they'd both enjoy close by. He could imagine sharing their home with Cain. Just... not yet. His smile didn't reach his eyes as he nodded.

"I can do that. I will. Absolutely. I think he's a good idea. Not tonight, though. Maybe..." he trailed off and shrugged, looking down at his phone. He'd forgotten he was still holding it. It reminded him he had work to do for Ben's campaign. That suddenly seemed vitally important. "Next week or something?" he mumbled, looking back into Ben's eyes. "I should probably go and make those other calls, though," he nodded, gesturing towards the bedroom door, like Ben didn't know the way to his office.

He waited for Ben to give him permission to leave because he didn't want to give the impression that he was walking out on anything. He was going to it.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2019, 10:17:17 PM »
"Sure," Ben said, nodding slightly and feeling oddly ashamed. Where had that come from and why? Because Kerr was going now? They couldn't sit here on the bed corner talking all night.

He had work to do as well, but he wasn't in the headspace for it. The Academy was in Ichabod's hands for now, and there was a guy coming in a couple of nights to interview for the Dean's position. It would give him and his brother some much needed personal time. Ben madly hoped the guy wasn't a timewaster. He was the only one who'd applied that looked like he had a decent chance at running the place, though it worried Ben that he was a fae, for all kinds of reasons.

"I'll stay up here and watch a movie or something," he said, looking up as Kerr took his leave and smiling until Kerr departed. After his sire stepped into the lift and was whisked downstairs, Ben's face crumpled and he hid it away beneath his hands once more.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2019, 11:19:23 PM »
Kerr's exit filled him with a sense of relief he wasn't motivated to think too hard about. He had work to do... and so he did.

He filled his night with calls and paperwork, tying up loose ends that had been dangling for nearly a week, answering emails and addressing all manner of hotel-based queries once his campaign work was done. He went downstairs to visit the Ward Captain and had a meeting about security for their upcoming event (he rather regretted his beach-themed choice of clothing but not enough to go back upstairs and change into something more appropriate) and took delivery of some of the prizes they'd ordered for sideshow alley.

Numerous times, in between sorting this or that, he found himself staring motionlessly into space. Mostly it was because he was reviewing the prominent talking points of what he and Ben had discussed tonight. Too often he caught himself thinking about the events of the night before. Generally, it was him making up details he didn't want about Ben's night, though Jake featured in his worry-bead thought carousel, too. Snapping out of those 'what-if' and 'maybe' scenarios was always bittersweet, for they left him upset and increasingly anxious.

Kerr kept himself successfully busy for hours but had achieved no shattering epiphanies by the time he acknowledged that he should be getting home. He'd got a lot of work done, though. Still, dawn would come in under an hour. Ben was likely already in bed. The ride up in the lift was an exercise in calming himself. He tried not to envision what might happen when he joined Ben... he tried not to think at all.

Predictably, the apartment was black and silent when he arrived. The lift doors opened smoothly and sliced the darkness beyond with light that was muted for the comfort of supernatural guests but which could still pierce absolute blackness like a laser through skin. He squared his shoulders and gathered himself, finally stepping out when the doors started to close of their own volition.

He walked into the bedroom, glancing at Ben in the bed and stopping by the hamper to drop his clothes in. Naked, he went to his side of the bed and pulled the covers down, sitting on the edge of the mattress with his phone in his hand. He reached down to get his cord and plug it in to charge. Realising only then that he'd replied to Jake in his head but not sent a message earlier, he decided now was a good time to write back. He wrote several drafts, debating the tone he was conveying, striving for serious yet sincere. In the end, he sent:

Don't be ridiculous, I don't hate you! We were both emotional, forget about it. I'm glad we're friends, too. You really came through for me last night and I meant it when I said I owe you one. Hope you're doing okay. Love you, man  :throb:

If Ben didn't break the silence during his extended writing process, he wouldn't say anything until he'd lain back in bed and pulled the covers over his lower half. Then he'd tell him he loved him as he leant up on his right elbow in order to leverage himself over to give Ben a brief kiss on the forehead (or cheek - anywhere but his lips).

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2019, 07:25:55 AM »
Ben spent the night in emotional limbo. He watched a movie without taking any of it in and when it finished he clicked his way through his list to another movie and didn't really watch that either. A lot of his time was spent staring at the flickering colours of the screen and going over the conversation with Kerr in his mind.

Considering the alternative, it had gone well, so why was he feeling this way?

Once the second movie was done, Ben switched off the television and remained where he was, staring at the blank screen and at his reflection beyond it. After a while he got up, driven to the kitchen as his cravings for blood grew more prevalent. It was always there, gnawing at him, but perhaps all that mental work of watching Kerr's memories was the reason why he was hungry for it earlier. He always had an extra drink or two when training hard.

He hung around the kitchen to do it all; warming up blood, pouring it into a glass, drinking it, washing it and putting it away. When he exited the kitchen he just stood there, thinking about Kerr's explosion at him. It had unlocked something inside him and they'd somehow put a good spin on it, but it didn't feel good. It felt... wrong. He was haunted by Saraekiel's words to him as well, the ones that were selfish.

Because fuck, being selfish would take away this hurt, this guilt, this shame. Being selfish meant he wouldn't care. He wanted so badly for this suffocating pain to go away but it also meant losing Kerr. Losing him would swallow Ben whole. It had once before and what he was feeling now was nothing on that. He remembered the physical reaction he'd had when thinking Kerr was breaking up with him earlier tonight. No. Selfishness wouldn't work.

So he was stuck with this. Stuck with this peculiar hollowness. Stuck with himself. It was supposed to be some really big deal that he embraced the fact he could be an asshole. Yeah, he'd already known it. Ben stared at the aquarium out of habit as the automatic feeder whirred to life and sprinkled food into the tank. He watched as the fish fed, seeing them about as much as he'd seen the movies.

He caught himself stroking his chest through the material that covered the blemish. He spun on his heel and moved into the bathroom, turning on the light and squinting against its harshness before removing his shirt. He dropped it onto the lid of the toilet seat and inspected the mark Saraekiel had put on him.

The skin was an angry pink and puckered as though someone had taken a branding iron to him. The shape was quite obviously a pair of lips. Not just any lips but those belonging to Saraekiel.

“Fuck you,” Ben seethed at it. “Fuck you,” he said again because it had made him feel better to curse out loud. “Fuck you! Fuck you, you dumb fuck!” He was looking at himself now, shifting his focus naturally from the mark and the one who’d put it there to the one who’d let it happen. Ben shoved whatever was in front of him away from himself. It happened to be the bathroom sink. The porcelain cracked and half of the bowl flew across the tiled room and smashed against the wall.

Wide eyed, Ben backed away from the remains of the sink and folded his arms across his chest, covering up, hiding from his own outburst, hiding the mark that was proof that not only was he destructive but also self-destructive. After a long moment he moved to the lounge and picked up the hotel phone to ask for maintenance to come up. The rest of the night was spent staring at more movies while the sink was being replaced.

As time dragged on it became obvious that Kerr was avoiding him. He never stayed away this long. Ben just wanted the night to be over. Once the maintenance people were gone, he changed into a T-shirt and boxers. He normally slept naked but thought Kerr might not appreciate it. He might not even appreciate Ben sleeping in their bed but he would deal with that when it was facing him.

He was curled up in bed but awake when Kerr returned but he didn’t have the courage to say anything. He’d meant to ask if he was allowed to be in here but didn’t want a negative answer. He listened as the text was written and felt Kerr getting into bed at his back. With a declaration of love, Kerr kissed his cheek and returned to his side where they wouldn’t be touching.

“I love you, too,” Ben whispered into the darkness, but his reply felt like a curse.