Author Topic: The Impression That I Get  (Read 13262 times)

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
The Impression That I Get
« on: September 30, 2019, 02:31:04 PM »
Once he got them to his door, he took a moment to get his keys out of pocket, unlock his door, and put them back in. Even mundane tasks right now for him seemed to take more energy than they really needed to. He felt his hand almost fumble a bit, but it was likely unnoticeable to Ash and more noticeable to himself just given how he feels about what has happened. Once in, he led her directly to the bathroom, still moving at her pace, kicking his front door closed with his foot before they got too far away from it. He would sit her ontop of the closed toilet lid, which was a thick ceramic material so it didn't bend under anyone's weight.

"I'm going to head into my room and get you a change of clothes ok? It's the only full sized door from the left of this room. Do you want to take a shower? I can grab a towel too, actually if you do I can try and clean up your pants the best I can without throwing them in the washer, but allow you to at least throw it with your dirty clothes back home. How about brush your teeth? I do have a toothbrush in a package that I just hadn't gotten to yet. Not that I'm saying your breath smells bad, just after I get sick, I usually feel better brushing my teeth afterwards." He said partially thinking out loud. He was starting to show his part of the panic that hit him by how he spoke, basically asking another question before getting an answer, and the quickness in his speech. It wasn't that he was not understandable, but he was speaking faster than he was outside. Something about being in a safe spot, allowed his walls to fall a little in regards to what just happened.

"Do you want some coffee or tea after you're cleaned up? If so what kind of tea or coffee? I do have decaf if you can't handle the caffeine right now, do you take sugar or milk or cream or something in them? Maybe something small to snack on too?" He also asked, basically trying to prepare everything in one fell swoop. He was awaiting her answers before he would leave her be in the bathroom, as he wanted to make sure she'd be ok for a bit, and he wanted to make sure he was prepared to help her out in whatever little way he could right now.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Re: The Impression That I Get
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 12:57:24 PM »
Aislin dropped compliantly onto the lid of the toilet, legs finally giving out. Even now, she was still processing everything; still replaying over and over the evening’s events in her mind, as though she might find some missing piece that would tie it all together and have everything suddenly make sense. No matter how many times she sorted through the scraps of memory, however, she couldn’t make them fit in a way that paralleled with her version of reality.

She found Dreki’s barrage of questions just as difficult to comprehend, and responded by way of an all-encompassing, “Yes.” Yes, she needed a change of clothes. Yes, she wanted a shower. Yes, she should brush her teeth. After having just vomited up her dinner, her stomach was as unsettled as it was empty; the concept of eating felt foreign and objectionable, but she couldn’t find it within her to vocalize as much.

Instead, she clawed clumsily at her clothing in a bid to free herself from it; finding the articles to be too restricting all at once.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 02:22:35 PM »
When Ash had only replied with 'Yes' he started to move, and move quickly, leaving the bathroom but having left the door open, going to his room first, inside of his walk-in closet being careful to not disturb any of the instruments he had in there despite his hectic motions, pulling a pair of men's pajama pants and one of his undershirts. He almost left then decided to also grab a sweatshirt. The pajama pants might be a bit long on her, but he didn't have anything that wasn't made for someone his height. He also aimed for comfort and didn't want her to be cold with just a t-shirt. Between his bedroom door and bathroom door was this small half door that was his linen closet, he opened that door and pulled out a large black beach towel. He only had beach towels, given his height, they just worked better.

After collecting all of this he walked back in the bathroom and put it down next to her on the ground, unaware of whatever state of undress she might be in. Even though he was blind, with his sight the way it was, he could generally tell based on the outlines he could make out, but his mind wasn't focused on that and thus he just didn't pay attention. He then moved to the cabinets under the sink and pulled out a package with a toothbrush in it. It was already opened mainly because it was one of those two packs, and Dreki had been clearly using the pink one that sat in the toothbrush holder next to the bottle of mouthwash by the sink for a while now, the one left in the package was purple was it was easy enough to tell them apart. He also opened the medicine cabinet and pulled out the floss, in case she wanted to use that too.

"Use whatever of mine you want in whatever quantities you want," he mentioned, "I don't care if that means the rest of it, I can always buy more. If you need me, yell for me, it doesn't have to be my name if you can't manage that. When you remove your pants, leave them outside of the door and I'll take care of them while you shower. Do you need help with anything right now?" If she didn't need help at that moment, he'd leave her in privacy. He also wasn't in danger of running out of anything, but if she ended up wanting to wash herself down multiple times or using an excessive amount or anything, she was more than welcome to was more or less the point.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 12:15:21 PM »
Sapped and shaken as Ash was, the task of peeling the soiled jeans from her legs had proven arduous. So much so that by the time Dreki had returned to the bathroom, that was all she’d managed; having haphazardly kicked off her shoes when they’d proven too much of an obstacle. She shook her head in response to his offer of help, then followed it with a belated, “No,” and an even further delayed, “Thank you.”

With what little care she could muster, she turned the denim in upon itself - folding its stains inward so they’d not have to be touched later. Even then, she knew she couldn’t subject Dreki the onus of cleaning up her mess. She’d bag it all up and deal with it whenever she got home.

The remainder of her clothing was removed without ceremony, tossed to the tile in scattered heaps. She pulled back the shower curtain and fumbled with the faucet dial until a stream of hot water began to pour from the showerhead. For a long time, she merely sat beneath that steady stream; allowed herself to be blasted in the face with its comforting heat. Eventually, she began to go through the motions of actually washing.

By the time she’d turned off the water and stepped out, she felt a little more like herself. The bulk of her anxiety had been washed down the drain, and she was spent. With a sluggish pass of the beach towel over her skin and hair, she turned toward the mirror to brush her teeth with limited effectiveness. Whatever, it was better than nothing. She pulled on the clothes that Dreki left for her, finding that she liked how loose they were. It was like being wrapped up in a hug; lord knew she needed one.

After bundling her dirty laundry up in the damp towel, she pulled open the bathroom door and called out a tentative, “Dreki?” before padding barefoot down the hall in search of him.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 03:48:51 PM »
Once he had left the bathroom he made it to the kitchen, where he had removed his vest, shirt, and undershirt and threw them in the trash knowing they were now ruined, mostly because of the holes left in them by the knife. He took some paper towels and wet them under the sink, he began to go over the spots where he was stabbed for any remnants of blood that was on his skin. He made a bit a face while doing so as the spots were very sore to the touch still. Anyone looking at him, would see the discoloration of his skin, and while to a mortal it didn't look like a bruise given the brownish-green hue of the marks, that's all they indeed were. By the time he would wake up tomorrow, they would either be gone or mostly gone, so he wasn't too concerned with that.

Once he was done cleaning himself up, he grabbed the pot of his electric kettle, filled it with water, then set it back down on it's pad and pressed the button for the water to simmer, so it would be hot enough for either tea or coffee but not so hot you would have to wait forever for it to cool down enough to drink either. While that was heating up, he walked back to his room, grabbed a simple black turtleneck and put it on, mostly because it was quicker and easier to do so than putting on another undershirt and button-up. After that he walked back into the kitchen and started pulling out the variety of metal tins labeled with braille stickers that he had full of different types of loose-leaf tea, and a couple of bags of ground coffee along with a pour-over device, figuring it would be faster and easier than making a whole pot.

He leaned against the counter thinking what else he could do to at least offer her hospitality while he explained things. He knew he couldn't exactly lie to her about what he was, but the question was just how truthful could he be with her without getting her in danger as well. All this was swirling in his mind until he heard Ash call out his name. He stopped leaning against the counter and moved to be in view, where the hallway would open up to the kitchen and living areas.

"I'm over here," he spoke with a calm and warm tone of voice, as he's had time to calm down a bit while he got things ready so his mind was no longer running quicker than usual. "How was the shower? Also where are your pants? The least I can do is clean them up a bit so it's less work for you to do when you get home." He was still offering to clean up her jeans enough until she got to a washer and dryer. He felt bad about the whole ordeal still even though it wasn't either of their faults.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 12:37:07 PM »
“Um,” Ash began in response to Dreki’s query, following the sound of his voice until she made it into the kitchen. “It was fine.” She spoke softly, fatigue more than evident in her tone. Her gaze dropped to the wadded up towel in her hands. “I couldn’t make you do that. Besides, it’s not really your fault... Any of it. So, you know... Do you mind if I borrow your towel? And clothes? I’ll wash them before I return them to you...”

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 02:49:19 PM »
"Yeah of course, that was kind of the plan, can't quite have you go home naked after all," He half-joked trying to lighten the mood, he decided to not push it on help cleaning her pants but the offer for him to do so would still be on the table if she had a change in heart. "Do you want any Tea? Coffee? or anything? I set up my water kettle and the water is already ready if you do." he then offered. He wondered if she would bring up the fact that he had angel wings, or if he should at least say something. He knew he would at least need to tell her to not really go around speaking about this so either way the conversation was going to come up one way or another. He figured while he was at it, he may as well tell her the real dangers of the night in the city, and about other supernaturals as well.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 09:20:36 AM »
Aislin spent a quiet moment standing still, before nervously licking her lips and querying, “Do you have any ginger tea?” She glanced toward the door, then moved to set her dirty bundle nearby to take with her upon departure. Returning to Dreki thereafter, she began to fidget with the too-long sleeves of the sweatshirt she wore; pulling them over her hands and squeezing the excess fabric like a stress-ball.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 09:40:03 AM »
"Yeah, of course." He said as he grabbed a mug and set it on the counter. He felt through the tins of tea he put on the table, feeling their Braille labels until he found the one he was looking for. He opened it up, grabbed the metal ball tool and filled it half way with tea leaves. He stuck it in the mug, then took the kettle off of it's hotplate on the counter, and poured the water into the mug. After a swirl of the metal tea leaves holder, he set it down on the table then began to put the other tins away. He took them out in case she wanted to smell them and decide that way, but a direct request was also easy enough. He seemed to have a certain order that he put them back in.

"Feel free to take a seat," he said as he finished putting everything away, taking a seat himself. He was glad that she wasn't trying to leave right away, that she wasn't running away from him at least. He knew in such a situation his wings had likely came out, he couldn't feel them and he didn't look behind him to see, but he was stabbed twice. Usually when injured like that, they did appear. He was nervous for the ensuing conversation, he wasn't sure quite what all to divulge or how. He sat at the table himself, to help relax and relay information to her.

"I'm guessing you saw them," he spoke, looking at the table, clear to be nervous about this, "ask any questions you need to, I'll do my best to answer them."

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 10:06:52 AM »
Meekly, Ash claimed the chair in front of the mug Dreki had placed upon the table for her; drawing her knees up to her chest to hug in self-soothing, with her feet perched at the edge of the seat. While she waited for him to restore order to his kitchen, she freed one of her hands of its fabric entanglement, moving it to instead tug at the twist of fabric at her feet and pull it over her bare toes.

When he spoke of what she saw, her heart sped anew and her focus lifted to him. “I don’t really...” She began slowly, pausing to sort through her barraging thoughts and emotions. “I don’t really know where to start.” It was a statement, but it ended on a questioning lilt.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 03:24:02 PM »
He sat there pensive for a moment, not entirely sure where to start himself. From the beginning may be a lot to take in, and just where would he need to draw the line on the whole Facility stuff without her getting in trouble. He pulled his necklace up to his mouth and close his eyes, thus hiding Hofflan from the conversation, but really it looked like he was fiddling with something while he was trying to think. He finally found a use for it that didn't have to do with Sam, even though that was the original reason why he got the necklace anyway.

"I might not do a great job at explaining everything, but I'll try ok? Questions are welcomed so don't be afraid to ask anything," He opened before getting to meat of it all, "Supernatural beings exist," he waited for her to take that in before he continued, "I wasn't originally one of them. My parents had died and I went into the foster care system thats where I met my sister Emma. She isn't blood related but really she is the only family I have, anyway, foster father was abusing her at night, once I found out I tried to attack him but really he was bigger and overpowered me. Later that night I took Emma and left, where I passed out from my injuries in a parking lot somewhere. Such bravery was noted by several media outlets and I believe it was through that media presence I caught the attention of a Facility. One where they recruit people, augment their DNA with that of Supernatural DNA illegally, and using those people for their own purposes. I was 16 when I agreed to this so really I didn't know any better, hell, I didn't think that the supernatural were real until I met an actual vampire earlier this year, I just thought how they described the DNA was used more as code names that were similar to their effects until then. As a result I'm part Angel. I was not Augmented with anything else as far as I'm aware of. I have wings that I can use to fly with, a sword I can call upon if I need it, and healing abilities where I can heal others and I in general just heal faster. Part of why I stepped in and physically blocked the mugger from attacking you was because I knew I would survive the attack without issue and that I would be fine by the time I wake up tomorrow. Figured that was the easiest move out of everything that could have happened, would have been the least risky."

He left out of course, that if he was stabbed in the heart that he would have died for sure, the event was traumatic enough. He knew he wasn't without his weaknesses.

"The real dangers of the night aren't even muggers, we were both lucky that the mugger was human like you are. Vampires are very much real, although lately the more unsavory ones have been attacking Fae folk more than humans, it's still a risk. Werewolves are a thing, I personally haven't met one of these, but I've had a Vampire student in class at the 'university' I work at mention how they can't drink from them, and then those out during the day and night can be Fae Folk, which includes Nymphs and others, Demons, and I assume Angels, but I've never met an actual Angel. My class has a variety of races of supernaturals, plus I've read some books so I do know some things. As far as I know of I'm the only person who has been augmented with only Angel DNA and nothing else so I'm kind of alone in my own category. There are other altered humans but like, they've all been altered with different things, I've never met another altered human so I can't really say all how different they are compared to myself."

He finished explaining what he figured where the basics, and explaining a bit how he became to be this way without giving away too much information that could possibly put her in danger from knowing too much about the Facility.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 09:11:18 AM »
Information overload. Ash wore the look of someone about to short-circuit.

Trauma. DNA experimentation. Angels. Vampires. Vampires were real, too?! Wings. They hadn’t just been ‘vanity’ wings? He could fly with them?! Werewolves. Fae folk; nymphs and others. Demons. Fucking demons.

There was a large part of her that wanted to dismiss all of this as some elaborate prank, but she had seen Dreki’s wings; ethereal and shimmering gold. She’d seen him stabbed, and the unnatural color of his blood; spilling out like so much molten copper.

“Okay,” she finally said after a long, drawn-out moment of processing. “You’re human, but you’ve been altered. Vampires are real, and so are werewolves. Angels and demons. Faeries? What about witches? Ghouls? Are zombies real, too?” Initially, her words were spoken slowly; but she gained momentum as she began to spit out questions, firing them one after the other. “Does that mean heaven and hell are real? God is real? Are we talking Nosferatu vampires, or Bram Stoker’s? Fucking Twilight?”

She thought back to her first night out at Sticks & Stakes, and the man - Jimmy - who’d predicted too much of her life to have been anything other than clairvoyant. Had he been human, or other?

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 02:18:36 PM »
"Witches are real. From reading Zombies and Ghouls generally aren't more than a side affect of something trying to reanimate a dead body. Being bitten by one wouldn't turn you into one. I wouldn't know if removing its head or not would kill it, but I've never ran into one so I'm assuming it's frowned upon to try and make one. Really a better term would be an undead golem." He said trying to answer her to the best of his ability by imposing the information he's read on top of what he knew about them via human media. He was never a big zombie person anyway, after all is Rabies isn't a widespread world destroy disease then neither would any zombie turning disease. Both spread via being bitten after all, and he was amazed about the amount of people who took a zombie apocalypse as something real that could happen.

"The vampires I would say would be more akin to Interview with a Vampire." He said thinking of another movie in which he could compare them to, the first two, were too old, and Twilight was such a weird take on Vampires. "All the ones I've met have been attractive in some way, and have the normal vampire weaknesses. However their bites have an effect I haven't really seen in media. It's almost like taking some sort of aphrodisiac while being an intense state of bliss. It also won't turn you into one just by being fed from. I'm not sure all what being turned into one entails but it's generally ok being fed from." He explained not really having been told that some people don't get horny and get into a meditative like state instead. He's aware he's super sensitive to it and thus reacts pretty strongly and intensely to it, but that's all he really warns vampires about when he's about to be fed from.

"As for a heaven or hell, I'm not really sure. Reading up on angels the most I can gather is there is another plane of existence they mostly live on, I don't have access to it as far as I'm aware so I can't really tell you much about it. For demons I'm only assuming they have the same." He said actually not sure on this one. It's where is sword comes from but she didn't see the sword, nor did he have to use it, so it didn't actually cross his mind.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 12:42:22 PM »
Being bitten by a vampire was comparable to taking an aphrodisiac? Yikes. She chose not to comment on that.

“Normal weaknesses as in, like,” Ash paused, working past her shock to gather up thoughts. “Stakes and garlic? Crosses and holy water? Sunlight?” Slowly, she lowered her feet from their perch at the edge of her seat - scooting forward. Her tea had well and steeped by now, but it sat untouched.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 03:57:14 PM »
"As far as I'm aware of yes. Sunlight being the big thing, however with crosses it seems to depend on the Vampire itself, some weaknesses are more prevalent than others. Striking them in the heart will also kill them, it doesn't have to be a stake, but honestly that could be said for just about anyone now." He explained further allowing her to ask anything she needed.