Author Topic: The Lapdance of Luxury  (Read 20487 times)

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
Re: The Lapdance of Luxury
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 08:30:00 PM »
Once he and Kerr were finished soon after that round, Cain was all for cuddles and softly spoken compliments and feel-good phrases. It was nice, being tucked up in bed with Kerr. It had been nice being drunk from last night but he wished he hadn't been, just so it could've happened now. Never mind. After a month he should be good to go again, and it was something they could look forward to.

"Have you got any plans for tonight or are you going to spend time with me?" Cain asked, hopeful but also realistic.
Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 09:34:59 PM »
Kerr was chagrined to realise Ben had just left without saying anything to him. It felt... reproving, though he tried to tell himself he was imagining it. Like he'd told himself to listen to Ben last night, when he'd avoided talking about anything having emotional impact on their relationship, in favour of waiting for it to work itself out.

Lying in bed being smothered in affection from a mortal that barely knew him made the chasm between he and Ben feel that much wider. As much as Kerr appreciated Cain's ability to make him feel better, he wasn't the one that he needed to make him feel better. He was torn, though. What was the point of bringing it up with Ben again? He'd just shut him down, unless Kerr openly stated his theory that Ben didn't approve of him spoiling Cain and wanted him to stop.

His heart felt crowded and he was fucking sad. Why the fuck did it feel like his only choices were fight or flight?

There was no point worrying Cain with his problems, though. He smiled and cuddled the mortal, deciding they should shower and go shopping for the clothes and food Kerr had promised he'd buy. The night was still young, plenty of shops were open late and it would be a fun (distracting) adventure. He left Cain to shower separately from him - even Cain had to admit that was a wise decision, in terms of efficiency - and got dressed in some black slacks, a blue button up shirt and dress shoes. He also went around the apartment collecting the discarded clothes he hadn't bothered to pick up. They must have annoyed the fuck out of Ben but the fact that he'd left them there and apparently stepped over them spoke volumes, too.

It was soon apparent that he was going to be able to dress Cain anyway he wanted. He had no personal style and a disturbing preference for everything in blacks or greys. He rarely accessorised and never bothered to coordinate with either of his eyes, despite them being his best - well, one of his best features. The first shop they went to was a men's store with quality merchandise and a vast array of apparel choices. Kerr enjoyed Cain modelling the clothing he picked for him, smug when the colours he chose made Cain look young and sexy. The button ups they picked would look even better once they were tailored to fit snugly around Cain's torso - his shoulders were so broad he needed a large size to fit them but the shirts swam around his sculpted waist.

Their next stop was a high-end suit shop, where Kerr had Cain fitted for four suits and handed in all his new shirts to be tailored along with them. He looked incredibly sexy in the suits he tried on (technically, three and a tuxedo), prompting Kerr to get a little frisky with him in the car on the way to their third stop - a sex shop, for some toys. There was a lot of giggling and some more kissing as they made far too many selections (including a leather outfit that would not be worn on his bike) and left. The grocery store was quite an anticlimactic final stop before they went home.

Once they got back to the apartment, there was a little more dressing up - followed by some undressing and another shower, together this time - and then some well-behaved unpacking. The wardrobe looked much healthier, as did the kitchen cupboards. They were snuggling on the couch finally finishing the movie they started the night before when Ben came home.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2019, 11:47:56 AM »
The elevators dinged softly before they opened and Ben returned. He'd had an interesting night but it wasn't over yet. He could hear a movie playing and was in the middle of its huge action scene. When he saw it, he recognised what was going on and knew there wasn't much left to play.

Ben unbuttoned the top two buttons of his shirt to give the fabric some room to move so it didn't sit so stiffly on his shoulders, and dropped himself onto the couch adjacent to where Cain and Kerr were cuddling.

"Hey," he greeted, but didn't want to make too much of a noise because Cain looked rapt in what was happening on screen. Mostly Ben met Kerr's gaze, if it was sent his way.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2019, 11:57:44 AM »
Cain tensed a little when he spied Ben. In reality he hadn't thought of him all night. He'd certainly not asked where he was or what Kerr thought he was doing. That was their business. He was glad Ben had been out for a little over half the night, though, because he'd had a really nice time with Kerr. They'd done so much and Cain enjoyed being around the darker vampire. Ben was trickier to get a read on. Cain just didn't click with Ben like he clicked with Kerr.

"Hi," he said in return, looking at Ben before turning his eyes back to the tv. The movie was super exciting. All the twists had been revealed and now there was a train and helicopter having a chase.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2019, 04:03:09 PM »
Kerr disentangled himself from Cain once he realised Ben was going to the other lounge. He curled up against Ben instead, wrapping his arms around him and giving him a kiss. He was warm, thanks to having been wrapped around Cain for so long, back to wearing only his old ripped jeans and no shirt.

"Hello," he smiled, then switched to mental communication so as not to disturb Cain's viewing (plus, the special effects sounds were really loud). He'd seen the movie before and was more interested in talking to Ben than in watching. Where'd you get to? How come you didn't say anything before you left or send me a text?

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2019, 04:50:52 PM »
Ben opened his mouth to tell Kerr he didn't have to come to him but he shut it. Of course Kerr didn't have to, but he wanted to. Ben grinned up at him and then shifted so that they could both be comfy near one another. Kerr smelt strongly of Cain, but so did the whole apartment now. A mingling of them and the mortal.

I didn't say anything because you were busy, and texts work both ways, Ben replied, his tone a little edgy but the smirk on his face softened his words. I went for a walk around the Quarter.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2019, 07:17:34 PM »
Kerr wrinkled his nose and pushed his face forward at Ben's reprimand that texts work both ways, a smile visible despite his mock 'nyeh' look. It was a fair call. He'd allowed himself to become distracted by Cain to forget how upset he'd been at the start of the night and it had worked (probably too) well. Ben being home now just made him incredibly happy - even though he was still somewhat worried that he'd be judged for his behaviour with Cain.

Sorry. The Quarter! How was it? Any epiphanies?

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2019, 08:05:24 PM »
A lot of the supes there are young or poor. It's a high crime neighbourhood but most of them are humans. More people in that neighbourhood are aware than not. I did see some gang-tags that made me think of weres. I might ask-

His thought just stopped, but Kerr would've seen a flash of the dark angel's face in Ben's memory before he shut it down. Ben lowered his gaze, knowing Kerr would've seen it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to picture him. Anyway, it might be a symbol he recognises which means it's migrated down from the north but I'll ask the Ward if they have any information about the tagging, if they've seen it elsewhere or whether it's connected to any gangs. I don't like the idea of territory being marked out or if a bunch of werewolves are... I dunno, unionising.

Forming a union was meant to be a joke but the symbol had worried him. Kerr would see it in his head - a wolf's head with a person's stick figure where the brain should be inside a circle. Ben had seen it three times on his walk, marking a few walls. He'd smelt dog around there too, but there were too many strays hunting in the garbage between alleys for him to be totally sure.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2019, 08:14:10 PM »
Cain whooped when the bad guy got what was coming to him, in a marvellous display of pyrotechnics. Explosions galore! He could feel the sound reverberating in his chest and he bounced onto an upright position, glancing over at the couple as they sat silently. He thought maybe they were talking in their minds to one another. They didn't look upset or anything but there were a few twitches of expression that flitted on each of their faces.

He looked back at the screen, a little more subdued even though the movie was awesome. It was winding down as well. The end of titles would be on soon, and he hadn't decided if he would seek out attention or make himself scarce. He'd just have to feel out the atmosphere in the next few minutes.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2019, 09:40:10 AM »
Kerr felt a flash of scorn at seeing Saraekiel's face in Ben's mind, only because there was a worrying puzzle involving werewolves that likely had a lot to do with his crowd of constituents. With the dark angel's very loose definition of governance at play, Kerr doubted very much that there'd be answers from that idiot. It wouldn't surprise him in the least if it turned out the marks were there because of that conspiracy-theorist nutjob, in fact. Going to the Ward to ask questions was certainly wiser and Kerr felt a spiteful triumph in knowing that the North's District Leader was a failure at doing the only job he had.

He didn't love the idea of were gangs any more than Ben did, though, and his concern superseded his smug gluttony regarding Saraekiel's potential undoing.

Ben's contrition warmed him. Kerr smiled and reached over to thread his fingers through Ben's and kissed his cheek. It's okay, you have to think of him. I wouldn't put it past that imbecile to condone such behaviour, though I guess he did take exception to Jake's invasion in the west - ruining people's free will and all that - so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being. The Ward should have more information, hopefully. If they don't, I guess it's something to confront Saraekiel with, Kerr shrugged and rolled his eyes to demonstrate how much he didn't want that to happen but the degree to which he was resigned to it. He smiled wryly as he did it.

He had zero respect for the dark angel but even he understood the necessity of Ben working with him in the future. Ben hadn't made it easy on himself by succumbing to his mind-obliterating lust for the fool but he'd have to lie in that bed. Kerr trusted it wouldn't be literally, at least. He was just thankful that when Ben pictured him, he was clothed. If it was more personal... Kerr would find that more difficult to forget. Just because he'd come to terms with Ben's attraction to and need to work with the fuckwit didn't mean it was any easier for Kerr to overcome his burning resentment for the ignorant, biased insults Saraekiel had delivered him that night.

Kerr squeezed Ben's hand and pushed his sour thoughts away, allowing love and appreciation for Ben's consideration to flow through him instead. Either way, I'm proud you went there to start figuring out what your leadership is going to look like. Charon will be pleased, also. Did you formulate any plans? Ways you can help them? It's really curious that you say more people in the area are more aware than not - does that mean Jake's not policing stringently enough? Or is it more endemic than that? Is it a holdover of the Oligarchy's failing? I often thought we were set up to cure rather than prevent, Kerr mused, gnawing on his tongue stud as he watched Cain sightlessly, his thoughts his focus.

He sighed after a moment's contemplation, turning his gaze back to Ben. Perhaps it's just chasing my tail to consider such things anyway. However it happened, you'll inherit the situation as it is. How can we fix it?

Maybe it was naive to think in terms of 'fixing' also but he believed Ben would affect true, positive change and he was keen to be part of it. Was it simply a matter of throwing money at the problem? Education? Relocation of people and resources? It was a huge undertaking but, he was forced to admit, he relished the thought of tackling it alongside his love. Without the shackles of propriety he had holding him back as Luminary, was there a limit to what they could achieve?

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2019, 08:53:54 AM »
Ben listened as Kerr outwardly mused about Saraekiel. The dark angel wasn't as good at assembling his ideas and communicating them as Kerr was, and his sire was seriously unforgiving about that. Ben had had a taste of Saraekiel's hard-to-follow speeches in the District Leader meeting, when he'd tried to dethrone Jake and put Ben in his place just by them all voting at the meeting. It hadn't turned out that way, and his statements had been really difficult to understand with all the vague inferences and such... but Kerr had felt slighted and Ben had been too forgiving and then there was the sex and the mark on Ben's chest and that pretty much ended that. There was no defending Saraekiel to Kerr now, events had moved too far along for that.

He was pleased Kerr agreed with him about the Ward - they were always Ben's first thought. He was about to answer Kerr's questions but they were shot at him too rapidly for him to answer. Ben waited them out and then replied, hoping he'd answered all of them but really there were too many to capture in one go. He really didn't like it when Kerr did that but his sire had always done that, there would be no changing a four-hundred-year-old habit now. When Ben had first met him, he'd thought the rapid-fire questions had been cute. Now they were just exasperating.

Okay, so get this, I always thought the Brazilian Quarter was a nickname because of the amount of Latinos that live there, but I never stopped to think why Brazilian? Most people think of Mexico, right? I found this plaque on a building which says that the four blocks were called the Brass Quarter, named after this guy Peter Brass. He was trying to fix homelessness by making this charity that housed them all, and he got four blocks worth of residential area built for them to live in rent free, and then for cheap rent, just enough to cover building maintenance and stuff. That was in the 1920s! But then the charity went belly-up in the seventies, I know because my mum grew up in one of the buildings and her family was kicked out because rent went up when the building was sold. It's still cheap rent because the buildings are so rundown but it's no longer a haven for the homeless, it's been taken over by people just scraping by but there were also buildings filled with thugs and druggies - sort of closer to the west side of the quarter where the streets are really narrow. I didn't see a single police car but I did see two pairs of Ward officials patrolling on foot. There are also people trying to do good in there. There was a free clinic - I spoke to a nurse inside it, he recognised me - and there's also a soup kitchen. I don't know that the BQ has a solution. I think it needs some cleaning up, sure, but anything drastic in there is just going to attract resentment. I think smaller things are best that can help people if we're going to do anything to begin with, until we come up with a plan... if I'm elected.

There were other people he'd talked to but he would let Kerr respond to that, first.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2019, 01:06:27 AM »
Kerr found the story of the Brass Quarter fascinating. It was the way of the world, he supposed - change being the only constant and all that - but it didn't matter how old he got, there were so often delightful little surprises such as these to be found. The casual mention of Ben's mother's history interwoven with it was so natural it almost didn't make Kerr's heart feel like it was enclosed in an icy grip.

Ben never mentioned his parents. In fact, Kerr yelling at him about them six nights before was the only reference that had occurred in years. Kerr wondered guiltily if that night had anything to do with Ben's mother being mentioned now. He hoped it did, because it meant processing was happening. The icy grip warmed with love and although he didn't say anything about it, Kerr registered the reference and was filled with pride.

Fascinating, his mental voice murmured, the Brass Quarter sounds so strange after all these years of knowing it as the Brazilian - though it makes so much sense, too! Did you talk to the Ward patrols? What did the nurse have to say? Kerr wondered if Ben had had much time to 'press the flesh' with supernaturals in the area and take their temperature with regard to him and the election. He was keen to know if any of them had offered viable solutions for the Quarter's improvement; advice would be more valuable, coming from those that lived there.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2019, 02:19:38 PM »
I did talk to the Ward patrols but I want to talk about the nurse first, Ben replied, his mental tone cautious. Ben's gaze flicked to Cain and then back to Kerr. When Cain looked their way, Ben looked at him again and then back to Kerr once more. He knew about vampires and supernaturals because they've come to the clinic where he works. He figured it out, about vampires, werewolves, all of it. He shared a lot of information with me, he's been working in the Quarter for years. He was keen to experience the bite, he's heard rumours about it. He asked me if I would, so I invited him to come to Luminescent after his shift.

Ben shifted to face Kerr more fully, ignoring Cain if he moved again because this was for Kerr to answer.

I'd like his experience to be mindblowing. Something he won't forget. I don't know exactly what he wants right now because I was going to talk it over with him at Luminescent but if he's keen on me, and I think he is, would you be okay with me having sex with him?

He wondered if Kerr would resist.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »
Kerr automatically mirrored Ben's move to face him, drawn to reflect him by instinct and smiling as he did. His expression shifted to one of gradual surprise as Ben kept talking, describing giving some nurse an amazing first bite experience. His wide eyes soon became a frown and some blinks as he glanced at Cain and then back to Ben again.

Well, sure, that's fine - that's what an open relationship means - but... what about Cain? You don't want to play with him? he queried, bewildered by Ben choosing to give attention to someone other than his pet. His earlier anxiety rose again, reminding him of how he'd felt when he realised Ben had walked out without saying anything. He gnawed on his tongue stud briefly, tasting the next, more difficult question he needed to ask.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2019, 03:53:17 PM »
Ben didn't follow Kerr's gaze to their pet.

Not tonight, no. I'm more interested in Harm. I have no idea why he's called that, I didn't ask.

Ben could feel the tension rising in the air. He didn't need an open blood bond with Kerr to sense it coming.