Author Topic: The Brass Quarter  (Read 153 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: The Brass Quarter
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2019, 03:54:10 AM »
Fred was nodding silently as Ben asked his first two questions but it switched to shaking his head at the second two.

"I can see why you'd think that but brand new fledgelings aren't common. It's usually the older vampires we're arresting - ten, twenty year olds - because they come down here trawling for tainted blood. They're old enough that the desperate thirst is gone and they can better appreciate the toxic stuff. They're looking for the effect, not sustenance, per se. Most of the time they buy the drugs on one block and go looking for someone they like the look of on the next, dragging them into an alley to get them to shoot up, smoke up or swallow pills before they drink their blood. Both of them are vulnerable at that stage, it usually turns into a damn mess that we have to clean up."

"There've been too many deaths from it to list. The vampires get excited and drink too early, spurred on by the bloodstream slowly getting more toxic and, without meaning to, they drain them dry, leaving us anonymous bodies and a tonne of paperwork to deal with, just because they can't keep their fangs in their mouths!" Charli chimed in with enthusiasm, keen to unload her exasperation on a new and sympathetic audience.

Offline Satyr

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2019, 09:41:08 AM »
Ben, initially feeling the positive vibes for Charli and negatives for Fred, was finding himself flipping in his attitude the more the two of them spoke. Oh, the female Warden was helpful and chatty, and he owed her for being there when he'd needed help at the Rabbit, but her end phrasing rubbed Ben entirely the wrong way.

vampires who can't keep their fangs in their mouths
men who can't keep their dicks in their pants

The similarity was too pervasive to ignore and he felt attacked on two fronts. He knew it was his own sensitivity and his awareness mostly tempered his reaction but it couldn't shut it down completely. He stared at her a little too long before shifting his focus to Fred.

"And you're taking the arrestees to Jake to deal with?" Ben asked, then wondered what Jake actually did with them. While he'd been staying with Jake, he didn't remember any prisoners being processed or dropped off at the Rabbit, so maybe they went somewhere else. The Oligarchy Chambers underground prison had been changed to server rooms and extra parking levels. Only the werewolf containment rooms had been kept, but there were always some vacancies during a full moon. He'd thought they'd found somewhere else while the Chambers had been closed, and simply not come back.

"Where do you take them after you arrest them?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2019, 10:52:56 AM »
The Wardens exchanged a look at the question about whether they took the law breakers to Jake but they both nodded. Fred answered Ben's final question.

"We leave them with the District Leader's people and they decide what to do with them. We don't take them anywhere. District Law supersedes Ward Law," the older vampire answered smoothly.

"Usually we see them back on the streets the next night and they've been fined," Charli shrugged, her mouth twisting glumly. "It deters them, for a while, at least."

"And the District takes responsibility for any corpses or destruction incurred," Fred added.

Charli snorted. "Sometimes we spend hours guarding scenes, waiting for them to turn up so-" Charli cut off abruptly as Fred gave her a sharp look. She tried to smooth over the bump in her sentence as best she could. "So we get annoyed. Waiting is the worst part of our job." She pressed her lips together lightly.

Offline Satyr

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2019, 11:02:11 AM »
"Yeah, you see that's stupid. Ward Law should be the primary law and the District Leaders should support you, not the other way around," Ben said, his tone belying his passionate belief. "All that should change District to District is where you drop the felons off. So what about the murderers? Do they walk away with a fine the next night, too?"

He sounded as pissed as he felt. Really, he should've stayed calm to get more information out of them but he couldn't help it. Jake McCloud was more interested in the status than he was in the leading. And if he wasn't doing the punishing and it was his people, too bad, because he was ultimately responsible so their mistakes were his mistakes. Who the fuck delegated the hard stuff to other people anyway?

He could feel a Jake rant coming on, so he squashed it and listened.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2019, 01:31:28 PM »
The two Wardens exchanged glances again, their body language shifting to face Ben more directly as they instinctively reflected their shared beliefs back at him. Their Captain very much agreed with his viewpoint, too and they'd been hesitant to reveal just how much she encouraged them to display loyalty to the Ward before the districts.

"I've had three bodies," Charli began.

"I've had five. Two on my other beat before we lost our partners and got put together," Fred interrupted.

"Right," Charli agreed, nodding like she'd heard those stories before but hadn't thought about including them. She and Fred had ended up together after Owen and Tariq had gone to the Academy's security staff. "Owen and I only dealt with one corpse when we were together, the other two have been more recent," she explained, holding a hand out, palm up, towards Ben in an inviting gesture. "In each case, I don't honestly know what happened to the super that did it. Two out of the three cases I've had, we caught them right there and took them to the White Rabbit for processing but I don't know what happened after that. I haven't seen them on the streets since," she shrugged. "Truthfully, with a death? The focus from the DL's people is generally more about securing the scene, getting rid of the evidence and far less about prosecuting the murderer. That's how it feels, anyway."

"It doesn't sit right with our Captain," Fred hinted then closed his mouth firmly, like he'd said too much.

Offline Satyr

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2019, 03:06:10 PM »
That was a lot of bodies. Ben hadn't quite known how much to believe regarding the hype in the paper about the fae attacks, only two had been detailed while the others were casting allusions and he hadn't had any trouble at the Academy. And who needed Fae to get high when a mortal donor could just be encouraged to put shit in his blood first?

Securing the area so the supernatural secret didn't get out was a pretty high priority, but after the ridiculous show-trial that Jake had put on for Lazarus, it made for a stark contrast of no information about criminals being dumped on his lap from the Wardens.

"Yeah, but you don't know what happens to them and the way it's set up, it's not your place to ask, either," Ben said, sounding miserable about it. "If I get in, I'll be able to change it in this District, but not in the others. Fuck. I don't even think my alliances feel the same way I do about this." Ben stared at the werewolf tag while he thought about it. "Anyway, thanks for talking to me. I figured you're not supposed to so I never heard anything from you."

He didn't want them cold to him or worried that anything shared with him would put their jobs in jeopardy.

"Oh, before I leave you, was there anything that would make your jobs easier?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2019, 05:02:22 PM »
"This district's the one that counts, though," Charli encouraged Ben with a beaming smile and a shrug. "It's the most populous, the most economically and socially diverse and has the biggest mix of supers by race. It's got bodies dropping occasionally, where the others are quiet. This district is the one that counts," she repeated for emphasis, feeling like it was a point worth stressing.

Ben would inherit the biggest headaches hands down if he was elected leader of Central but that would also mean he'd effect the greatest change. Charli thought his anger at the way things currently were boded very well for the district's future.

Fred and Charli looked at each other again upon Ben's final question, like they'd discussed such a thing many times before (more like bemoaned it) and weren't sure where to start with their list. Charli laughed a little before she began.

"Faster response times from district support crews when there's an incident."

"A paddy wagon, to lock offenders in while we deal with crime scenes, so we don't have to divide our teams with one taking the perp away and one staying behind," Fred intoned seriously.

"Having our role respected and not being made to feel like we're renegades who're just wearing the uniform so we have an excuse to use our powers against our fellow supes," Charli added churlishly but then smiled at Ben to lighten her message. "Other than that, we're good. Our utility belts are awesome as is."

Offline Satyr

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2019, 02:53:56 PM »
Ben nodded, thinking that the new mayor of the city had pretty much handed him the solution to faster response times amongst his many demands. Everything he'd asked for had been to the city's benefit, really, though he'd been a bit shirty during the meeting at times.

The request for a paddy wagon surprised Ben. He hadn't even considered the Wardens would want cars but it made sense that they needed to put people somewhere. It would have to be strong to hold strong criminals. Maybe get them an armoured truck? It would match the 'security' facade that the Wardens used.

"Alright, thanks!" Ben said, and debated whether or not to shake their hands. After a brief pause he offered, and then they went on their separate ways. Fred and Charli moving to the street Ben had just vacated while he continued down the alley into a street that was far narrower, dirtier, smellier and unwelcoming than the other two. This was the kind of street that reflected what people imagined when they thought of the Quarter. Less families being hard done by, more criminals setting up places to lay low.

He could feel it in the air; like being watched by more than just the groups of tough-looking men and women who were eye-balling him. He stood out in even his most casual clothes; jeans, sneakers, button-up cream shirt. He opened his mind to thoughts around him and found himself touching vile, murderous, hostile thoughts before he closed off again. This was not a safe place for anyone, not even him. It was surprising to him that Fred and Charli had even walked down here without being attacked. At the mouth of every side alley that led to the backs of buildings, he was offered drugs or sex or both, and just like the Wardens had mentioned, a few who recognised what he was had offered to get high before he drank from them. At those offers he looked at who they were. Mostly youths who'd maybe once been pretty but now looked hard-edged and filthy.

He kept walking, and after spying yet another werewolf graffiti icon on a dirty brick wall, he saw someone else walking the street on his side, moving towards him.