Author Topic: I Wanna Get Better  (Read 25547 times)

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
Re: I Wanna Get Better
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 08:34:25 PM »
"That's not a bad plan, and certainly not a boring one. That's pretty much the very foundation I invited Ash to come here on. She is new to the idea that Supernaturals exist so really, what better place for her to learn about them than an event like this?" He said pretty much agreeing with Sam's idea of just people watching, what he didn't want to express that he was there needing a mental break from all of the aftermath of becoming free, as everything that came out of it was a lot to handle. There was so much paperwork, swirling thoughts, that really he needed a night to himself, and this would be that night.

"I'm not a big ride person, never was. Figured I could hold her stuff that she didn't want to bring on if she wanted to go on one, and I doubt I'd be very good at any of the games. Although I'm sure it would be amusing to watch me try." He lightly chuckled at the idea of him attempting any of the games here, all of which seemed to involve aiming in some regards and things not looking so flat at certain angles. He felt his phone vibrate again, and pulled it out to listen to the message with the earbuds.

'Oh! Don't be sorry, I didn't even stop to think that such a place would be overwhelming to someone newly in the know. Thats my fault, I'm sorry. See you in a few.'

"She's going to be directly on her way here so we'll see her soon enough." He updated Sam on the text as he put his phone away, listening for her out in the crowd was going to be impossible so he'd just wait for her to approach and say hi. He took a look at Sam, a bit more of a proper one now that he relaxed a bit. He noticed Sam was wearing a suit and thought he looked good in it. He was unsure if he should say anything though, he didn't want to move too quickly with Sam again, the last time that happened it ended poorly. Although he did question on whether or not a compliment would be too much for just trying to refind their footing or not.

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 12:40:16 AM »
"Well, that seems like great timing," Samuel smiled, looking over his shoulder as the touted replacement arrived. "Let's go," Sam encouraged and got out of his chair to greet Vincent Lockwood.

He waited for Dreki to walk alongside him and the three of them chatted - mostly explaining Sam's plan to return in a shortish while and discussing how things had been going at the stall up until that point - until the Dean joined them. He carried the conversation then and Sam and Dreki were able to extricate themselves, leaving Zim talking with Vincent.

Samuel and Dreki stepped just outside the stall's limits to wait. They'd been there seconds when a lovely-looking young woman in a leather jacket drew Sam's attention by calling Dreki's name. He turned and smiled politely at her, stepping aside to let her greet her friend without interference from him.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 09:15:29 AM »
Aislin kept her pace slow, pausing momentarily to glance over Dreki’s responding message. When her focus lifted from her phone, she spotted him - alongside another man - step out from a booth.

“Dreki!” She called, tucking her phone away and lifting a hand in an animated wave. She acknowledged his friend (whom she assumed to be his 'meaningful someone') by way of a returning smile and a polite nod as she closed the distance between herself and Dreki - drawing him into a tight hug with a further enthused, “Happy belated!” Amidst their short-lived embrace, she tilted her mouth up toward his ear to whisper, “Holy shit, this place is fucking nuts!” before separating to turn a beaming smile toward his companion.

“Hi! I’m Aislin,” she offered, along with an extended hand, “or just Ash.”

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 04:24:01 PM »
He had greeted Vincent along with Sam, knowing him to be one of the other teachers, usually for the class that came right after his on Mondays and Tuesdays and as a result has interacted with in passing before. He was semi-familiar with all the teachers but generally kept his distance. Really other than Sam, the next closest academy staff member to knowing anything about his past problems was Astrid and even then he didn't let up too much what was going on, other than a vampire was in his mind that he just needed a break from every once in a while.

Other than the polite 'hellos' and 'it's good to see you around' he stayed quiet, letting Sam, and then Zim overtake the conversation with Vincent. He had stepped away with Sam and outside of the booth where he heard Ash's voice call out to him and he turned to face her. He smiled and waved back waiting for her to come closer, not expecting the hug. Of course he reciprocated the hug in return, it was kind of nice to get, he needed it more than he realized.

"Thanks," he said with a smile in regards to the birthday message, and let out a light chuckle with his exhale with what she had whispered into his ear but otherwise didn't respond. He wondered if Sam had heard it, knowing sometimes vampires have really good hearing, better than his, and his was better than most other mortals because that's just something that happens when you're blind. Lose one of your senses and the others become better.

When Ash introduced herself to Sam, it was the first time he had heard her full name, and wasn't aware it was anything other than Ash, he waited for the introductions to get out of the way before he spoke again.

"So what did you want to do? Sam and I were talking and we were both content on just roaming around, possibly even check out one of Ben's meet and greets. Ben is the owner of the Academy and our Boss, he's holding the event as part of his campaign for a position in the supernatural ran government." He had explained, pointing to both himself and Sam when he had said 'our boss'. Either way he was excited to get moving along and spend time with a couple of people that he cared about.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2019, 01:24:31 AM »
Sam smiled politely at Ash and gently grasped her warm hand in his much cooler one. He couldn't fathom what 'happy belated' meant to Dreki and he heard her summary of the carnival quite clearly. What a curious creature she was. He wondered - with some disdain - how someone so 'new to the idea supernaturals exist' had even got in, to find it so 'fucking nuts'. He also noted that she didn't have the mouth of a lady.

"Pleased to meet you, Ash. I'm Samuel - or Sam," he responded, hoping his tone was interpreted as joking rather than mocking. He was awkward enough for his jest to fall flat.

He let go of her hand as soon as was possible and tucked his own into his pants pockets casually, the polite smile still gracing his face. He listened to Dreki explain every minute detail of his thinking - their thinking, apparently - and felt pressure. It was like Dreki was adding pomp and circumstance to the act of simply walking around and looking. For his benefit? He certainly hoped not!

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2019, 08:39:11 AM »
“Sam,” Ash echoed back, “Likewise.” Her pulse leapt unbidden as she noted the coolness of his hand around hers, the implication of what that might mean dawning on her. Still, she smiled - and with her hand reclaimed, turned her focus back toward Dreki.

“Oh, uh... I didn’t really have anything in mind aside from maybe a drink?” A shot would have been better; two, even. “I’m content to follow the two of you around. I’ll be your puppy-dog for the evening,” she offered in mildly self-deprecating jest, casting an inclusive (albeit somewhat nervous) glance toward Sam. He was super attractive, and she was beginning to draw an imaginary connection between good-looks and the supernatural.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2019, 01:56:19 PM »
"Ok, then let's stop by the food booths first, and wander from there." He said in a relatively calm tone as he began to walk in the direction of the food area. His strides were not as long as he usually took them, and thus walked slower, mostly so Ash could keep up without having to speedwalk due to their height differences. He had noticed the joke Sam tried to make in regards to how they both introduced themselves and wondered if Sam was that awkward when they first met. He honestly couldn't remember. He felt nervous, wanting the two of them to get along, and the night to go well. Him explaining things the way he did was for Ash's sake, after all she was new enough to not know who Ben was, why this event was really happening, and his text only explained a tiny portion.

He had agreed with Sam's plan in just walking around, as he said before he wasn't much of a ride or games person. Rides were mostly due to motion sickness and his sight being not clear for a little bit. He remembered a time when he was about 19 and Hofflan took them to a fair. Emma wanted to go to one and Dreki asked for them to go, Hofflan had surprisingly agreed without issue. Another thing he had learned was any games having to do with aiming, he sucked at. Most carnival games involved that in some way or another. He weirdly found himself missing Hofflan, but not so weirdly missing Emma. He kept the look on his face mostly neutral while he walked despite this, but he was also rather quiet. This wasn't on purpose, he was still getting used to the random memories that would pop up into his mind when he did something relevant to them. He wasn't aware of just how much he was missing until he had it back.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2019, 08:28:09 PM »
As they walked, Sam moved so that he was on one side of Dreki and Ash was on the other to allow them to communicate. As far as he was concerned, he was the added extra in this situation and was happy to let them chat, only offering input if it was requested. His hands came out of his pockets as he relaxed and his shoulders lost their tension as he looked around.

There was plenty to see, beyond their modest trio.

The pathways were well populated and Sam marvelled, impressed by the turnout and pleased on Ben's behalf. He hoped the crowds translated directly into votes but he was cynical. Having clerked for his father a century or so before, he was well aware of how fickle the populace could be; happy when they were happy, livid when they weren't. The notion of standing up in front of anyone for to express his opinion had always intimidated Samuel to the point of nausea. He admired Ben's determination. From Trophy Wife to Political Powerhouse. He smiled to himself at the thought.

Vampires were the most commonly sighted species tonight, though they weren't the most impressive roaming the walkways. Demons and Imps, with their fascinating accoutrements, drew his gaze unerringly while other fae, shifters and werewolves tickled his olfactory senses. Some scents were offensive, others alluring and all were interesting. He constantly found himself wishing for a pen and paper to write on, to make notes.

Eventually, he gave up and pulled out his phone, using it to type on instead, afraid he wouldn't remember the creature with the raspberry earth notes or the particular shimmer of the dryad's hair in the moonlight later. He knew that he was largely ignoring Dreki and Ash's conversation - and that they might consider him rude - but he typed fast and lowered his phone in between thoughts, feigning interest in what they were saying.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2019, 12:31:32 PM »
Ash kept quiet for a while - drinking in the visuals and committing them to memory. She wanted to draw them later. She wanted to draw them now but hadn’t brought the means to do so. Besides, she suspected that it might have been frowned upon. People often sat in parks and drew those around them, but the supernatural kept their true selves hidden; illustrating their likenesses on paper felt somehow like a disservice. At least, doing it without permission.

It must have felt so good for them to walk so about so openly. Freeing in the same way that taking off a bra after a long day was.

What would that have been like? To have to always wear a mask? She frowned at the thought.

Eventually, she broke the silence by asking Dreki, “So what did you do on your actual birthday? Did you at least get to visit your sister like you’d planned?”

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2019, 03:46:20 PM »
He was enjoying the walk, even with the silence it brought. It was much more palatable than the silence of walking alone, and allowed him to relax a bit, let his guard down. He was a big believer in being able to enjoy a comfortable silence with others, and how that alone could speak more volumes than a conversation could. He took in the curious outlines of shapes new to him. So many others with tails or wings or horns, part of him wanted to let loose and let his wings show too.

He felt a deep uncomfortableness at the thought of it, and chalked it up to how Hofflan at treated him. While he wasn't supposed to have known about his wings, it was embedded deep in his memories that Hofflan had shamed him everytime they had come out then hid away those memories. It was frustrating to him that even though he's free, it still affects his life at all. The fact that it affects his life in ways it didn't before was just the gross, overly sweet, soaked in syrup cherry on top. It was messy and undesirable.

He was snapped out of his inner thoughts with Ash's question. He had nearly stopped walking, but caught back up to pace after a half step of slowing. The curious look on his face turned more into a pensive one as he thought about how he'd answer, but before his expression settled into his thoughts, there was a small furrow of his brow.

"When I said I had been busy, that wasn't a lie. The past couple of weeks have been a bit of a blur, give me a moment to recap," he spoke with an incredibly subtle somber tremble to his voice that would be difficult to pick up on but not impossible, it was mostly a neutral tone otherwise. He wasn't terrible at hiding his emotions when he needed to, but death wasn't an easy thing for him to suppress, particularly her death. What had stopped him from just breaking down crying, is that he's done enough crying when alone that it was no longer easy for him to cry at the drop of a hat.

He did technically see her on his birthday. He had her remains buried in the cemetery, not like there was much left after just how the facility was closed down. But it came from a previous conversation they had about death when she had asked him about it. He did technically see her on his birthday. He visited her grave with a guitar, some flowers, and some food. He placed the floors in front of her gravestone, ate and chat with her, and then played some songs. It had been part of his grieving process, and had helped him not be so miserable in public.

"I did," he settled on telling the truth after a few quick moments of thoughts, his tone still unchanged from being neutral, "I didn't have much time for a gift so I just picked up a bouquet of flowers and brought my guitar. We had lunch together, I played her some music, then we parted ways." While him not having time to find another gift was more a flourish on the truth, the rest of it was unchanged from the truth. He was hoping the short and simplistic answer covered his bases enough to not be terribly inviting for questions.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 01:19:29 PM »
Aislin frowned following Dreki’s beginning statement, as well as the mildly somber tone in which he used. He’d been nothing but truthful with her. Excessively so, in fact; sharing with her amidst their first meeting a multitude of overwhelming truths. Had he thought she’d believed him lying? “Um, sure,” she said in response, before following it up a moment later with, “I didn’t mean to imply you hadn’t been truthful. About being busy, I mean. Sorry if it came off that way.”

When he continued, her twisted expression remained; a perplexed knit etching itself between her brows. He didn’t sound happy. It didn’t feel appropriate to express relief on his behalf, nor did it seem right to press. Instead, she offered dumbly, “Oh, I see.”

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2019, 04:40:36 PM »
"Oh, no I didn't mean that at all," he said a little worried that he offended her, his heart dropping into his stomach, "I just, thought it would be weird if I didn't respond right away. Seeing family is supposed to be memorable after all. I'm sorry I could have worded that better." He forced a small smile upon his face in attempts to sound a bit more cheerful and appear more friendly as he was starting to become self conscious about his tone and his words. He felt awkward in the conversation as his anxiety crept upwards, it wasn't a feeling he was really used to experiencing. Part of him wanted to run away.

"Anyway, given how this is a safe spot one can freely be themselves, I can only imagine the beauty around us that I can't see with my limited sight," he was trying to shift the topic, remove the attention from himself and off onto anyone else possible, "I can see horns, wings, tails, and other unique outlines that I don't get to see daily, could one of you describe some of what you see to me?" he asked sounding slightly more lighthearted. He really didn't want his anxiety to get the better of him, after all he was there to relax from the recent stressors of his life. He was going to do what he could to relax, and while he could feel his stomach starting to be affected by it all, he hoped that the shift in topic would stop that from getting worse and hopefully allow it to calm down again with time.

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2019, 01:56:01 PM »
When Remiel arrived at the carnival grounds, there was a great commotion. He’d flown over parked cars, long queues of people, and finally, the large wooden gates that allowed access to all the festivities. People fell back from him, shielding their eyes and stumbling away to create space for him to make landfall. With a series of wingbeats that sounded like claps of thunder, he descended until his feet touched the ground. He folded his wings and rolled his shoulders as he cranked his neck back and forth to release the tension there.

“Jesus Christ! What the fuck are you doing? Tone that shit down!” demanded a man in a black uniform that labeled him as security. He stalked towards Remi, scowling and dragging a pair of sunglasses onto his face. None of the other people that cowered away from him had thought to bring sunglasses to a nighttime carnival. Why should they? The sun was down, there hadn’t been any danger of being blinded until Remi had shown up, shining as bright as a misplaced star.

Remi’s eyes grew wide and his mouth fell open enough to emit a small, “oh,” of understanding. He called on his glamor to douse both the light and hide his wings, at the same time digging into the pocket of his suit coat to extract and unfold a small flyer. “I’m sorry. I thought I didn’t need to hide anything. That’s what was on this flyer I found,” he said, hoping the guard would understand and stop looking at him as if he wanted to rip off his arms and beat him with them.

After you get into the park, not before,” the guard growled.

“I understand now,” Remi said ruefully and tucked the flyer away again. “I am sorry, I didn’t mean to--”

“Whatever, just… don’t go lighting up the whole goddamned place anymore, okay?”

Before Remi could respond, the guard was off again, muttering under his breath about fucking angels and did he have clouds for brains or what?

Remi blinked.

Well. That wasn’t a very nice thing to say.

He stuffed his hands into his pockets, feeling for bits of fluff and paper, and sighed. People lingered and stared at him, but their attention was drawn quickly enough to a multitude of other fantastical things. With the obvious cues glamored away, he was just a man in a nice gray suit with blue accents. He couldn’t compete.

It was better that way. He could stroll unnoticed through the crowds, observing people and watching their auras. He made a game of counting what species was attached to what aura, and had tallied far more vampires than anything else when he ended up behind an unusual group. There was a vampire with his head down, most of his attention given to the phone in his hands, a human girl with an aura that vibrated with the elation of discovery, and something… Something different. Something he’d never seen before. The third one, the man who spoke of seeing without seeing, had an aura that looked like a patchwork quilt, with colors that denoted not one species, but multiple, all overlapping and intersecting. There was his kind -- angelic kind -- but also human. He followed them, head cocked to the side, until his curiosity became too much to bear.

Remi surged past the group, then placed himself directly in their path.

“What are you?” he asked, staring intently at the pony-tailed blonde in front of him.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2019, 05:09:00 PM »
Not long after he asked one of them to describe some of the people around, he was stopped in his path by a winged man. The Aura this man gave off was familiar but new at the same time. It felt much like his own, but more intense and pure. The wings were also unlike the other wings creatures around, they were feathery and large. While he had never seen his own he assumed they were similar, and he was unaware that the wings of this man were hidden behind glamor of any kind, as he could see them as well as he could see anything else. He was awestruck at first and didn't quite register the question at first, but once it hit him mentally, he thought being that blunt about it was a bit forward, almost rude, but he could understand it given his unique circumstances. It for sure was a distraction from thinking about his sister at least.

"I'm part angel," he stated cautiously, "are, are you a full angel?" he seemed a little unsure of his question, this was his first time flat out guessing what someone else was without having already met another of said species. He didn't really want to get into his full backstory here and now if he could help it, in fact he was trying to get away from that just because of the memories associated with it, particularly about his sister.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2019, 06:23:21 PM »
In the human world, there were nuances of presentation detectable only to supernatural senses. Samuel was lost in the sight and smell aspects of his when his sound sensors were triggered by something in Dreki's voice. It had happened when he'd spoken of spending his birthday with Emma. It had momentarily drawn Sam's thoughtful gaze to the blond but he hadn't said anything about it, content with observing him closely while his conversation with Ash continued. Coupled with his earlier notice of Dreki's avoidance of mentioning Emma, his suspicion grew.

He'd become distracted by taking notes as their conversation meandered a little but then, after Dreki's prompt, Samuel began looking around them more carefully, gearing up to describe the view to him. The thought of speaking made him feel a little uncomfortable - given that he didn't know Ash all that well - but he was keen to help Dreki out. He just wasn't sure where to begin. If he could make out the outlines of horns, wings and tails, there wasn't a lot more Sam could offer in the way of enlightenment. Colours or patterns wouldn't help and scents Dreki could detect for himself.

In the middle of being stumped, a man appeared in their path, confronting Dreki. Samuel blinked. And blinked again. He stared. He listened to the timbre of that voice. He looked him over (daaaaaang) and raised his eyebrows expectantly when he got back to looking at that beautiful face. Bearded. Eyelashes to fan your whole body with. Eyes to swim in. Lips to... well, lips he had attempted to get swallowed up by. Despite his craning his neck and ogling the guy obviously, his shift in position in order to draw attention, his subtly cleared throat, Samuel was completely ignored in favour of Dreki. Completely.

At the first lull in conversation - when it was the intruder's turn to talk to Dreki - Sam could hold his tongue no longer. "GENE?!" he demanded, stepping closer so that he would finally look at him rather than his angelic companion. He looked at the angel expectantly, eyebrows lifted, a smile of wonder playing around his lips. A little older, a little sexier but this was definitely Gene. His excitement was growing exponentially.