Author Topic: Intermission  (Read 11479 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Intermission
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 09:36:10 AM »
Samuel attempted to latch onto Remi's hand when it came to him, his spirits lifting at the gesture, but it was brief and dominant, strong enough to stop him twisting in the hold. Surprise mingled with regret as it was withdrawn as quickly as it had come, leaving Sam contemplative. He pulled his hand back and into his lap beneath the table this time, his other moving to caress the warmth Remi had left upon his flesh in an effort to covet it and maintain it for as long as possible.

Remi's words were intriguing, his expression also offering a glimmer of hope. When he stood and stretched, Sam got to his feet, too. He was watchful, trying to temper his expectations as he moved around to stand closer, eliminating the table from between he and the angel. His hands were still holding each other in front of him, one stroking the other. "Okay. When?" he asked eagerly.

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2019, 12:08:58 PM »
Standing as close as they were, Remi was surprised to find that Sam stood taller than him — though not by a substantial amount, only enough that he tilted his chin slightly to meet the vampire’s gaze.

“Well,” he said, drawing out the word as he eyed the cotton candy he’d left sitting on the table. “I only came here to try that, but I didn’t like it very much.” He wrinkled his nose and curled his lip in remembrance. “It was too sweet and left an odd taste in my mouth.” He'd been reminded of the time he’d flown over the part of the city covered in smoke, when his eyes had stung and it’d been difficult to breathe.

Food shouldn't taste like death.

“Fruit is much better,” he added with a smile. Remi continued smiling at the vampire until he remembered it was, in fact, a vampire — someone who couldn’t palate anything except blood — that he had been sharing his food preferences with. He cleared his throat lightly and shifted his weight from foot to foot until the embarrassment passed. (In two breaths, give or take.)

“What I mean to say is that I’m finished here. I’m heading that direction to go home, so… now, if you want.”

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2019, 01:54:29 PM »
Samuel followed Remi's gaze back towards the pink fluff he'd left on the table, surprised that he'd left it there and not found a rubbish bin for it. Another difference between the angel and Gene, who would never have inconvenienced anyone like that.

His gaze was drawn back as different foods were lauded. He didn't pay much attention to what was said, choosing to focus more on examining Remi's expressions and speaking mannerisms instead, attempting to align them with his memory of looking at Gene while he talked. They weren't the same, the glimpses of what Sam had known and the man he was looking for disappointingly minimal.

There was a brief silence that Sam didn't know how to fill and then... and then his mouth fell open and his eyes widened in shock as Remi made a truly unexpected offer. It wouldn't get him back to Dreki quickly and might even run him short of time to return to the stall to help Vincent out - in fact, the more ehe thought about it, the crazier of an idea it truly was! - but Sam was sorely tempted.

"Uhm... I don't have an unlimited amount of time tonight and it would take a while to get there by car," he mused, debating just running there using celerity. He'd be faster than the traffic but it'd tire him out and he'd need a drink. That could be arranged easily but what if he was so exhausted he needed to do it in front of Remi? He couldn't imagine the angel watching him do that without comment. The thought of it was extremely uncomfortable.

He didn't know what to do. Was right now his only chance? If so, he'd have to take it. He looked at Remi, clearly disconcerted by the choices he was left with. "Maybe it should be tomorrow night?" he suggested hopefully.

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2019, 03:28:22 PM »
"Tomorrow night?" Remi repeated after another stretch of silence, this one spent with his eyebrows drawn low and his mouth puckered slightly. Sam had been champing at the bit to debunk his origin story, and now that he'd been offered the chance to provide the rest of his proof that he'd been born Gene and not Remiel, he was pressed for time? While he suspected and understood that Sam might be afraid the fantasy he'd created would collapse upon closer inspection, delaying it didn't change anything. He had to help him see his delusion for what it was so he could search for and hopefully find an alternative way to move forward in his life.

Tying his chance at redemption to a man that didn't exist – at least not in his present company – wasn't helping anyone, least of all Sam.

His decision made, Remi's mouth twitched at the corner and his eyebrows were released from their prison low on his forehead. "Alright. I'll be there after dark," he said, thrusting his hand out like the vampire had upon their meeting, though he intended it as a means to seal their deal. "See you then?"

Now it was his turn for hope to be evident his voice.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2019, 05:19:08 PM »
Samuel's expression lightened, automatically mirroring Remi's as his alternative offer was accepted. He stepped a little closer to take Remi's hand, sliding his fingers along his palm before grasping the warm appendage firmly in his own.

There was a sense of relief and a comfort he couldn't explain while holding onto the angel - he supposed it was because of his belief that this used to be Gene but that didn't stop him relishing the sensation of angel's hand in his. It was softer than it used to be but the grip was... more confident? It gave him pause, anyway.

"I'll meet you in the lobby as soon as I awaken," he agreed, his smile lifting only half of his mouth in an unintentionally sultry manner because he was gazing up close and appreciatively at the angel.

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2019, 09:40:26 AM »
Sam finished speaking, but his attention remained on the vampire's lips. They were just as effective as his eyes at conveying a primal need that sent an unbidden shiver up the base of Remi's skull and into his scalp. He steeled himself against it. Gene might’ve been willing to bare his neck to him, but he was made of stronger stuff. His mentors had ensured that.

Remi extracted his hand from the vampire’s and nodded as he backed up. “Enjoy the rest of the night,” he said, inclining his head briefly.

He managed to wait until he’d gotten out of the food garden before he swallowed thickly and rubbed his hands over his hair and face, dispelling the last of the sensation Sam had left upon his skin without putting a finger on him.

((Continued the following night in The Gene Files))