Author Topic: Wrench & Spanner  (Read 15255 times)

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
Wrench & Spanner
« on: November 11, 2019, 07:38:57 AM »
Trick and his family left at daybreak, wanting to get a good parking space. Getting there early had worked the day the carnival opened on the Saturday, but hadn't on the Sunday because it had kept going through the night, attracting visitors. Trick's car was still parked in the second row of the first field but his father was waved through to the second and they'd walked quite a way to get to the front gate. Trick waved them goodbye and headed to his car where he would wait for the mechanic he'd called last night to meet him here.

He'd used Harm's idea and read through a bunch of the supernatural papers and mags online looking at ads until finally he'd found a mechanic advertised in there. It had been a tiny one line ad with a mobile number. He'd texted his details and request to it because he hated talking on the phone and received a positive text back from 'Jesse' that they could meet up at 7am.

Trick sat on and lay back on the hood of his car. He wore a grey Thrasher hoodie over black board shorts and chucks on his feet, with wrap sunglasses on his face.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Re: Wrench & Spanner
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 05:52:27 PM »
Jesse knew he’d had somewhere to be come morning, but he’d still spent the night before walkin’ on a slant. He felt like he’d been ate by a wolf and shit over a cliff. Didn’t look much better, neither. Not with his hair looking like he’d just rolled out of bed and a freshly inflicted bruise spread beneath his swollen left eye.

He was late. He’d gotten in his car and started her up at 7:00 AM on the mark, taking the time to light up a smoke before coasting out the drive. He ought have done the neighborly thing and fired off a text to let his client know he was running behind, but he didn’t. Instead, he’d pulled up twenty minutes past, parking behind Trick’s car and effectively blocking the lane. After snuffing a second cigarette in a cupholder ashtray, he rolled up his window and stepped out.

The navy blue coveralls he wore, sleeves tied at the waist, were smeared with black grease. A plain white tank-top covered his torso, and the tongues of his boots lolled forth from loose lacings - flapping like an over-exuberant pup’s lapping appendage as he trudged forward.

“You Trick?” He asked.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 08:32:57 PM »
Trick hadn't once checked his phone in the time he'd been laying on the hood of his car. He'd given the mechanic enough information about where he was--at the carnival's first carpark. He'd also mentioned how to find him--halfway along the second row. And he hadn't forgotten the number plate of his car while also supplying his name--Trick.

When the classic red car purred up the second row even though there were no parking spots, Trick opened his eyes and sat up, watching as the vehicle slowed down and stopped at his car. Trick hopped off the hood and felt for the catch, releasing it and then lifting the hood up. He did this before Jesse turned off the engine and got out. When Trick turned around to look at Jesse, he made a tiny sound 'oh' in surprise, seemingly shaking something off.

"Yeah, that's me." Trick reached for his phone with his left hand while also holding out his right for the shaking.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 01:07:57 PM »
Jesse’s mouth stretched slow and wide; shaping a lazy smile that might have been charming had it not been for his sorry state. Apparently, he found humor in Trick’s soft little issuance of surprise. He reckoned it was due to his blackened eye.

He grasped the hand offered out to him tightly, subjecting it to one firm pump. His was the kind of handshake that demanded dominance - with a grip just shy of pain-inducing. He offered no introduction, figuring he didn’t need one.

“Engine cranks but don’t start?” His southern twang was far from subtle, words spilling from his lips like molasses.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 02:00:25 PM »
After the handshake, Trick absently massaged his right hand with his left.

"That's it," Trick replied, his gaze roaming Jesse's face for a short moment his gaze fixated on the mechanic's eyes. "Did you want me in the car turning the key so you can see what's going on?"

Trick pulled his gaze from Jesse to stare at the car that was little more than a paperweight, presently. "Do you want me to sit in the driver's seat and turn the key so you can hear it? Or should I step aside?"

Trick moved awkwardly to the car parked beside his broken down one. He leant on it and could hear a faint beeping coming from somewhere. It was difficult to determine the direction.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 01:05:38 PM »
Jesse maintained his smile as the other fellow locked his gaze on his, and met him with an unblinking stare. He wouldn’t be the first to look away. “Go on ahead,” he replied, with an indicative jerk of his chin toward the deadweight car. “I’ll give it a listen.”

After Trick had settled into the driver’s side, our Jess moved around to stand at the open hood. He tuned into the sounds of the car’s whirring engine - hearkened to whether or not it slowed or sputtered - and reached down to fiddle with some of the machinery.

“You had this car long?” He called out from where he stood - a hand raising to idly scratch at his left shoulder, where the saw-toothed scar of his making had hung its hat.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 02:21:54 PM »
"Too long," Trick replied, turning the key when he was instructed to. "It can get testy in the morning, too."

The car whirred and coughed. Trick pulled a face when it sounded like his car would start, making all this for nothing. But then it died and did nothing but whirr without catching.

"Is that enough to get an idea?" Trick asked, brushing a hand through his hair before stepping out of the driver's seat and standing behind the door, looking awkward. He looked from Jesse to the strip of engine that he could see from his vantage point.

Eventually his gaze shifted to the mechanic. "So after you fix my car are you sticking around for the carnival or do you have jobs to do?"

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 03:52:00 PM »
“Think that’ll do,” he responded, making his way back toward his own car to retrieve a toolkit from the trunk. He stuffed a dirty rag halfway into his back pocket, then returned without bothering to close up the lid. There weren’t nothin’ of value in there, anycase.

After dropping the heavy metal case to the ground at the head of Trick’s car with a rattling slam, Jesse squatted low to open it up and sift through its contents. He pulled out the needed tools, then set to work - speaking as he did so. “If she’s havin’ trouble startin’ up when it’s cold, she’s likely got a clogged up carburetor. Might want to have your spark plugs changed, too, if you haven’t in the last three years or so. I reckon I can get ‘er runnin’ pert-near, but not plumb, without.”

He went quiet for a time; finagling out a piece of machinery and giving it a thorough, tinkering examination before reestablishing its home. When Trick asked him if he’d stick around, he lifted his focus from his work to settle upon him instead.

“I’ve only got the one ad,” he drawled, that slow-forming smile stretching anew. “Don’t get a whole lot of job requests.” Not as a mechanic. His attention dipped back down to his task, and another moment of silence passed before he said, “Reckon I’ll stick around; see what all the carnival has to offer.”

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 05:39:51 PM »
Trick shut the car door with a thonk and moved around it to look at the engine. With his hands low on his hips he inspected what Jesse had touched with glazed eyes and then turned to watch him move the toolbox. It looked heavy.

Screams of delight floated to their ears on the wind as rides rattled across tracks or bounced on pneumatic arms. Trick turned to face that way before looking back at Jesse.

"I don't have a lot of money," he said slowly after the mechanic listed off the parts he needed to keep his car running. "How long can I push it with your quick fix before I run the risk of breaking down?"

He'd broken down a few times in the past and while he'd survived the experiences, he didn't want to challenge himself for them.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 08:39:32 PM »
“Don’t know,” Jess offered unhelpfully, rolling his shoulders in a lazy shrug. “Could be as little as a few days, long as a few months. Ain’t no real tellin’.” He considered momentarily being a good Samaritan and offering up his help - but, ultimately, decided he didn’t have enough cares to. Not for a stranger.

He gave the part he’d been messing with an experimental wiggle and, upon finding it firmly reaffixed, jerked his head toward Trick. “Go ‘head and start ‘er up.”

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 08:48:33 PM »
Trick half-sat half-fell into the driver's seat again, one foot dangling out of the open door. He turned the key, heard the whine of the motor as it turned twice... and caught! Not even a cough could be heard. Trick made a noise of relief but he didn't look impressed by Jesse's vague answer about how long his car would keep running.

"Clean carburetor and new spark plugs," he muttered to himself, his expression sour. With the engine still running he climbed out of the driver's seat and shut the door, facing Jesse. "That's awesome," he said, his choice of words stronger than the emotion he showed. "How much do I owe?"

He gave Jesse a ponderous look.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 09:32:51 PM »
Jesse met Trick’s ponderous look with one of his own; lashes swooping low over his gaze as he debated for a drawn-out spell. Money was far from tight. He’d had more wins than losses at Club Zero over the past month. Eventually, he shrugged. “You get me a meal inside, we’ll call it even.”

He ducked down to return his tools to their case, then hefted the thing up to carry it back toward his still-open trunk.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 07:25:48 AM »
Trick opened his mouth to reply, closed it, gave a soft half-laugh and shrugged. "Sure, I can do that. I'll be your queue boy."

He watched as Jesse picked up the toolbox, muscles working to carry the thing. It was obviously heavy, the metal inside as good as any of the weights Trick used at the gym.

He shut the driver's door and locked it before moving to the still-open hood. Reaching up to keep it from falling, he removed the rod and put it away so he could close the hood too, dropping it for the last couple of inches so its weight could finish the job.

Turning back to Jesse, he could see that the tools were now away. Trick glanced down the double rows of cars, seeing about twenty or maybe thirty were blocked by Jesse's truck. Not his car, though. Jesse had driven a tiny bit past his car, probably so the toolbox in the back would be close to Trick's bonnet. Trick glanced in a few other directions but nobody was leaving the carnival in this direction. All the cars around him were different to yesterday though.

"Shall I meet you at the gate?" Trick guessed, allowing Jesse the option of driving his truck into a proper space.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 01:46:04 PM »
“Sounds good,” Jess drawled impassively, slamming shut the trunk of his car and sidling into the driver’s side. It had crossed his mind that he might leave his car where she was, but there were some troubles weren’t worth stirring up. Instead, he took his sweet time to pull away; rolling down the window, lighting up a smoke, and inhaling a few drags before finally starting up the engine to go. It took him a while to find parking and, when he did, it was much farther from the carnival entrance than Trick’s car.

His coveralls were pulled up and over his arms when he eventually strolled up to the gate; halfway zipped, with the top of a pack of Marlboro Reds peeking from his left breast-pocket. He sought out Trick with an indolent focus, pausing to stare down some highfalutin folks who’d been keen to bump into him.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 02:12:12 PM »
Trick joined Jesse when he moved through the gate and headed towards the stalls that were giving away food or showbags. There were a lot more people here on Sunday than there had been on Saturday. His expression betrayed his surprise.

"I was here yesterday and it wasn't as busy," Trick remarked. "Guess word got around."

There were more obviously supernatural folk in here, too. Trick saw a lot more wings and tails and differently coloured beings. The fae and the demons seemed to be out in full force. He gave Jesse an assessing stare but didn't ask any questions before they arrived in the middle of the food tent area.

He pointed the various queues out to Jesse. They were all incredibly long, especially for the breakfast round. "I can line up and get you whatever you like if you want to sit down and wait. It might take me half an hour to get to the front."