Author Topic: Earning Every Vote  (Read 11542 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Earning Every Vote
« on: November 12, 2019, 08:54:34 AM »
Reserved

Jake entered the curio bar, wearing a simple black suit. His hair was neatly spiked and on his finger was the blood ring he'd become famous for. Of course, people didn't know that's what let him walk in the sun, other than Sabrina and Ben. All the rest of the city knew was a day walker was running for District Leader, and there was nothing at all thin about Jake's blood. It had raised his profile even higher than normal lately, and random vampires had stopped him to bask in the awe of the accomplishment - and to of course figure out how they too could day walk. The Black Prince had told them nothing, instead smiling and asking if they'd decided on a candidate.

However, tonight wasn't about vampires. Jake felt pretty good about his share of the electorate there. Ben would do better among caitiff, while the vampire clans would be Jake's backbone. Even for those who weren't Anarchs, there seemed to be an affiliation between Jake's status as a Ventrue, and the general belief he should lead because of it. Jake didn't have to say anything of the sort, and Damien had advised him against using his clan. Instead it was an unspoken fact, and Jake liked it that way.

Tonight was about securing non vampire votes, and making sure he had solutions and policies to support everyone. Lisa-Joe had made Jake aware of this mysterious Theo and their bar. In Lisa-Joe's glowing review, Jake had seen a chance to make an ally.

He took a seat at the main bar, not seeing any employees at the moment. He folded his hands across the bar top, and patiently waited. He was early after all. 
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Earning Every Vote
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 10:04:20 AM »
Rohan drummed his fingers along the bannister, earning a disapproving stare from Theo as they checked their hair in the mirror. They were sporting luminescent silver streaks intertwined in the magenta locks that matched their bowtie of the day. Theo was rarely seen out of their bartending clothes: button-ups, bowties, and slacks were their staples. When they grabbed a smart black half jacket, even the unfamiliar eye would see an attempt at punk-inspired formal wear. Slipping their feet into converse to further feed the stereotype, they flashed Rohan a quick thumbs-up.

"You can feel it, can't you?" His voice was low. Concerned.

Glamour was radiating through the bar. A more amateur fae creature might get drunk on the magic that weaved its way through the air. Anyone with the pair's history, however, would be either very wary or very excited. Rohan, as he is wont to be, was wary.

Theo was excited. They gave a short nod in response to their familiar.

"Theo..." Whether it was a warning or a plea, he left the remainder unsaid as their eyes met once again. Looking as if he thought better of it, he changed his tone. "I can go offer him a drink, entertain him, and be polite. You don't have to meet him today." He nibbled on his lip, hope in his eyes.

Theo brought their hands to either side of Rohan's face. The sign of affection was cut short by a slice across the back of their hand, and Rohan knocked it away with a scowl. He nursed it as they shrugged. "I haven't forgotten who I am, Ro'." They motioned to the bandage that Rohan secured across their hand. "I've heard good things about him, so I'm far from worried about anything he would do -- and I've been around worse temptation back home."

They went to press a kiss to Rohan's forehead, causing him to go incorporeal with a yelp. Theo snickered as they tooko advantage of his compromised position to slip down the stairs. As he pulled himself back up through the floorboards before becoming whole again, he shares his thoughts with obvious annoyance: If you don't cut that out, people are going to think I'm beating you.

That earns him nothing but a shrug and Theo's trademark mischevous grin as they walk into the bar.

Jake appeared different than Theo had expected, but fitting in an entirely different way. Theo knew how vampires aged. They had still pictured someone a bit more wizened instead of the teenager that was welcoming Theo into their own bar with a reserved smile. Which Theo returned with a genuine smile of their own.

"What can I get you?"

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 03:04:05 PM »
"Got anything hot, red, and bubbly," Jake asked Theo, taking in their appearance with a interested gaze. It was the clothes that drew him in, and the vampire thought Theo looked ready for his own bar, not just their's. The shoes were especially a hit. Who didn't love a good pair of chucks? The bar itself was much quieter than his own, but still pulsed with life in a unique way. Jake knew right away that this was NOT a vamp bar. He leaned in, widening his smile into the boyish and mischievous smirk for which he was most known.

"My name's Jake, and I'm guessing from the harpy's description that you're Theo?"

He didn't stick out a hand, not yet. He wanted to say more, that he liked the bar's vibe and their shoes, but felt that as nervous talking. Instead, he waited to see if his drink could be accommodated, and if this was really Theo. Lisa-Joe had mentioned someone else, someone named Gondor.

Jake hadn't brought cigarettes, although he desperately wanted to smoke. Lisa-Joe had told him the smoking section wasn't open yet.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 01:37:32 PM »
Theo's question got them such a specific response that they couldn't help the itch of their fingertips. Lisa-Joe seemed the type to make sure that Jake got the highlights of her visit, and Theo would be disappointed if the drink they made the harpy wasn't a highlight. So Theo gave him a wink as they went about the back of the bar.

A sound mimicking rain echoed through the An Tsi as mist sprayed from water sprinklers onto the signature vine. The bar usually was closed around this time, but Theo's benefactor likes to pop by and restock their supplies during the day. They could only assume that Jake knew this, and chose his time to stop by methodically. Theo took advantage of their isolation to allow her eyes become sightless as they glowed with emerald power, harvesting some of the glamour from Jake to hedgespin him a drink.

They tapped lightly on the containers of liquor that had been stored behind the bar, withdrawing select bottles and placing them on the surface.

To Jake's left, they mixed a shot -- the primary liquid came from a teardrop bottle and radiated a small amount of heat. They mixed in a cinnamon liqueur and grasped a tobacco plant from the vine, crushing it into the viscous mixture.

To his right, they placed whiskey stones in a rocks glass, and poured in a colorless liquid from a green bottle. Its scent cooled the air like menthol. They added rum, gin, and garnished it with lime and lemon rinds that spiraled to intertwine.

They slid both glasses slightly towards the man, offering two choices for him to consider. Their glow subsided and eyes returned to normal, and they nodded in response, "Theo, pleasure to meet you. I must say that your reputation precedes you, how goes the campaigning?"

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 04:32:33 AM »
Jake eyed the drinks with wariness, none of them being the requested blood. Lisa-Joe had told him Theo's bartending skills, and that she hadn't thrown it up despite it not being blood. Even Sabrina had always mixed her magics for him in blood. Had this Theo unlocked a power that Saint Sabrina had not? That kind of power alone would make someone like Jake, who was constantly afraid of losing his own, take pause. Needing votes was a new type of vulnerability. If this business was sans election he would've politely refused, pointing out his weak constitution as a member of the clan of kings. However, Theo was a voter, and more than that, was someone who could whip votes. This could not be avoided without the conveyance of insult. He also wondered if the drinks were themselves a test, and that his choice would reveal something to this stranger. He examined both choices, feeling drawn to the tobacco and cinnamon smells of the shot.

"Cheers," he said, sliding the second drink back to Theo. He downed the shot, and tasted something other than blood for the first time in almost three hundred years. It felt hot going down his throat, and in some ways Jake felt like he had just fed from a hot blooded mortal. The flavors of the tobacco came through, his cigarettes always tasting like ash. The cinnamon flavor was new all together, and Jake had to admit it delighted him. He showed restraint in his reaction.

"Excellent," he said, smiling with appreciation. "And the campaigning goes well I think. I might actually retain my seat of power, if the right coalition of voters is built."

And I'm hoping you'll help me with that, he thought, smiling darkly at Theo for the first time.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 07:18:30 AM »
Theo noted Jake's consideration with thinly-veiled interest. To call it a test would be unkind, but there's no denying that it was one of Theo's games. And Jake's decision -- the one Theo considered the 'safe' option -- did not go without analysis.

The glamour that surrounded him was muted. Where emotions each had a colour of their own, it was faded by his attempts at restraint and obvious magic surrounding him that affected his mind. Nevertheless, Theo noted his pleasure, however small, as they took the other drink in hand and turned it up to enjoy themselves. The concoction was restorative, causing Theo to feel even more healthy than they already could boast. The air around them cooled, and they gave a little shudder before a wave of heat met their cheeks as the alcohol worked its magic.

Another powerful wave of glamour hit the bar as Jake spoke, his unbridled ambition cascading throughout its area. It caused Rohan to turn the corner, giving up his attempts to remain out of the room. He sat on the far side of the room, outside of conversational earshot, and went about writing in a weathered spiral notebook.

The glamour was particularly appealing to Theo, the kindred spirit. So this is the glamour of a powerful vampire, huh? Rohan scowled, but didn't look up from his work. Theo, despite themselves, was impressed by Jake and wanted to know more.

"I have enjoyed my life in the city, and from what I understand, you share some responsibility for that. So, tell me, what is the right coalition of voters?" Theo picked up on the insinuation behind Jake's words, grinning knowingly as they spoke.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 01:38:00 AM »
Jake considered Theo was being careful with their words, an acknowledgment life was good for them in the city, and even some credit thrown Jake's way. However, there was a tenuousness about the endorsement, a hook of sorts. Jake read the subtext as, but what have you done for me lately. Jake was pleased with Lisa-Joe's initial contact. It seemed to have greased the wheels. Then the question became, what did Theo want, and could Jake give it to them. He decided to answer the question posed, hypothesizing that the other shoe would drop in good time. Elections forced humbleness. For years, people bowed to their vampire leaders. Now, Ben had forced the vampire leaders to bow to the will of the voters.

"The kind that cares enough about this district to want it independent," Jake answered. "My opponent wants to turn over the law and order to the ward, an agency that is supposed to be neutral but is increasingly being used as his private enforcers. I want to create a safe haven for supernaturals of all types and promote a government where the districts work together, but remain separate. I would like An Tsi to serve as one of those safe haven, for the city's fae in particular."

Jake needed to know more about Theo's home and bar. There was clearly some form of magic here. The drink alone betrayed that, but what else was behind the looking glass Jake didn't know; yet. He smiled that winning, boyish smile that the voters seemed to love so much. Jake was more than a pretty face, but he also knew a pretty face was an asset, and so he used it to now on Theo.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 10:16:52 AM »
They leaned onto their forearms, listening intently. Jake's words were impressive. A safe haven for all supernatural beings in the city. Independence for all. It was a wonderful fantasy.

It was harder to believe when you could see the aura of power and ambition around him. It reminded them of a villain in a show they had seen: a little homunculus boy named Pride with a pretty smile and terrible powers.

It was entirely too familiar to Theo, who was used to the beautiful forms that Fae would take as they would steal away the Mortals they desired. You build yourself to be unassuming -- underestimated, even. And then, when it is too late, you give them a glimpse of your true form as they begin to despair.

Theo shook the thought from their head. "I can't say that sounds like a bad idea. I will speak plainly, I see a few flaws in your plan. If I may?" They waited for his nod to continue. "Before I begin, I figure I can repay some of your kindness with some knowledge of my own."

Theo pushed off the bar -- swapping from their leaning position to stand tall. To the astute, they would realize that Theo had grown. Their irises lightened, becoming a shade of neon green that nigh glowed. Theo was far from Unmasked, but allowed a bit of it to slip to more easily access the glamour stored within their bar.

"What do you know of the Fae, Black Prince?" They asked.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 05:04:56 PM »
The change in Theo caused Jake to stiffen, growing taller - although not as tall as Theo had grown - in his chair. His title had been used, the Black Prince. Did Theo know it from the gossip around town? Perhaps they'd heard of Jake in other places they'd been, or did they know some other way? Jake resisted the urge to stare at his hand, but no vibrations came from the ring. Jake's thoughts were still his own. It was safe, this realm of cognition. It was separate from things like feelings, which Sam could still feel through the bond, and Lan Bao had somehow looked into with her own unique power. Being addressed as the Black Prince gave Jake the armor of the Black Prince. He felt as if a shadow of his inner darkness came forth as metal plate, spiked and medieval. Hell, throw in a ruffle shirt and cape.

The question regarding the Fae was challenging, and for some reason Jake suspected this was as much a test as the drinks. He also couldn't tell what kind of fae Theo was, not understanding that he was alluding to something else. He considered what might be most relevant to relate, letting the silence between them fester with anticipation. Jake could've sworn he saw the man in the back literaly lean in, but was looking directly at Theo so could be mistaken. Finally, in the voice and mannerisms of the Black Prince, he answered.

"Lowercase fae I'd say I know a lot about. It's part of the gig to know what's what. We've got Imps, Nymphs, Dryads, and more. Uppercase Fae, my knowledge is more limited."

He reached for his empty glass, and politely asked for another. "You see, I'm a person with too many hobbies. Sword play, sex, drugs, art, theater, the list goes on. But my first hobby was collecting rare shit. Most of my horde is on mortal cultures and civilizations, but my favorites are the treasures and books about this dark world we live in. In one of my books there is suggestion for dealing with Fae; never enter to a deal with them unless your prepared to pay in full. I would also guess if we're following the folk lore trend, I either shouldn't say their names three times, or I should learn a Fae's true name because then I have power over it."

He hoped to have the new drink by then. If not, he'd bring his glass back to his lips just for the sake of having a pause. "How'd I do?"
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 06:41:32 AM »
Theo saw a moment of discomfort pass by Jake. Good, they thought, he's not so arrogant to underestimate an alien power. Theo had met several vampires during their time in Arcadia -- each of them docile, broken creatures. Their father had once bragged how easy it was to break a vampire, once they realized the limitations of their powers and how they wouldn't save them in the Fae realm. Theo examined Jake once again. You, Prince, would not break so easily. They felt relief flood their chest, allowing their Mask to reclaim them. In the blink of an eye, Theo was back to their familiar form, pouring a replication of the drink Jake had taken first and handing it to him.

Theo shrugged to his question. "I can't say you did poorly, but there are a few vulnerabilities that a more ambitious Fae would take advantage." They turned up another drink of their own. "Knowledge can be dangerous with the Fae. The more you know, the stronger they are -- but I'm sure you also know just how dangerous it can be to have too little information when it comes to supernatural powers." They sighed. "To help with that, I'll keep things very vague, and you can get whatever clarification you desire."

"The most important thing that I can tell you is that Fae magic in the Mortal World is heavily tied to words. When you saw a glimpse of me without my Mask -- the name that we give to our Mortal appearance -- your defenses instantly went up." They waved their hand, in case he'd feel like it offended them or caused an insult. "It's subconscious, a defensive instinct when any Mortal sees something that shouldn't exist. Unless you are incredibly desperate, you'd be pretty hesitant to enter a deal, right?" They tapped their nose. "The Fae don't need you to agree to a deal, the Fae need to twist your words to make it sound like you did. Of course the more binding it sounds, the more power the Fae gets from the contract; however, sometimes a Fae only needs a dagger instead of a cannon, if you understand the idiom."

Theo said, "I will decidedly not seal this contract, but saying something like..."

They waved their hands, and a bellflower bloomed from the vine. From its depths, an echo of Jake's voice "I want to create a safe haven for supernaturals of all types... I would like An Tsi to serve as one of those safe haven, for the city's fae in particular."

Theo let the implications of Jake's repeated words sink in without any hint of malice on their expression. "That could be turned into a contract, if I had been so inclined. The wording isn't particularly strong, but if it was coupled with another act -- such as accepting hospitality like a free drink -- the terms can become more advantageous for the Fae and less advantageous for the victim." They leaned backwards, putting their posture in a decidedly unassuming pose as they swayed from side to side. "I have no interest in creating a disadvantageous deal, however, and far less interest in acquiring thralls, so please do understand that is as an example."

They snapped, "Oh, speaking of examples, each Fae have drastically different limitations and weaknesses. Overall, we are a greedy lot, but each of us have a different hunger. Likewise, there is probably a specific Fae that has the strange power of 'saying their name three times.' I would also warn against trying to learn a Fae's true name. It is not something you can pronounce, but it is a magic that you can possess. And it is a dreadfully painful thing to carry for even a short period of time. That is one reason why Fae can be so hard to kill, because even holding onto a True Name can cause the Fae to be able to gobble you right up, if you aren't sure with exactly how to use it."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 07:15:37 AM »
Jake was fascinated, but wary of this explanation. The idea that a suggestion accompanied by a free drink could be a deal was outrageous. Jake would point out no contract had been signed, no handshake given, no terms negotiated. Jake did understand Theo's point that a more malignant Fae might try and enforce something that thin, and while Jake wasn't an expert in Fae, Sabrina likely was. Perhaps it was time to visit her once more, and see if she had any way to deal with these beings. Theo had also confirmed that they were not fae, but Fae, and Jake wondered if he'd walked into a situation he couldn't get out of.

Knowledge can be dangerous with the Fae.

Was Jake's new knowledge now making Theo more dangerous? If Jake believed Theo was dangerous would they become more so? Jake decided the only power he might wield was skepticism. Why should he outright believe anything Theo said? It was data, and would be treated as such. It would need to earn it's status as fact. Perhaps, that would give him some cover.

"First, and not just for you but for all Fae who might be listening, allow me to clarify my words," said the Black Prince, accepting the drink and smiling as he took a sip. "Good shit," he added quickly. He didn't mind giving Theo's bar tending skills more power. "My previous words were but a suggestion. We were far from making a deal. Deals take a contact, signing my name to the dotted line. A handshake, or more powerfully a kiss would also suffice. I set my own terms. If I allowed others to set them for me, I wouldn't have earned the title you previously addressed. If my belief can make a Fae more powerful, than my lack of belief would provide me with some cover, no? Otherwise it's not a deal, it's extortion."

He wanted another of Theo's drinks, but the part of his mind that was unswayable told him it was likely not a good idea to keep accepting them. The part of Theo's speech about weaknesses, hungers, and names reminded him of the clans, their banes, and the unique powers each possessed. It seemed everything had weaknesses. Jake decided that less information was better than more, if Theo's words were to be believed, and so asked a question that he hoped would frame some power of his own.

"Please don't take this as a threat, it's merely a question and not something I'm planning to do at all, but, if I were to walk into An Tsi, and chop off your head, would that kill you?" The Black Prince's tone was as if he'd just asked for a cup of sugar. "That's the most important thing I need to know."

- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 10:48:33 AM »
Theo laughed, shaking their head, "Unfortunately, contracts don't work quote that way. Before the contract is made, you may make terms. But Arcadia -- the sentient, whimsical power that gives Fae their magic -- is the entity that decides what allows a contract to be made." Theo scowls. "As you can imagine, it doesn't care about what is fair. It doesn't, however, give everything to the Fae." Theo spun a bottle across the palm of one hand, stopping it as it pointed towards Jake. "Let's use the previous example. If you broke that, for example, I wouldn't be able to come for you directly. I would be able to attack one of your safe havens. With as weak as the agreement would be, it would probably be something like the front door never locks properly, even when you check it, replace it, and try to fix it. Or maybe the pipes always burst when it's a full moon."

They flipped the bottle around, obviously in need to keep their hands busy as they talk. "Our contracts don't grant us some omnipotent power no matter what precautions you take, but they can get nasty really quickly. If you had sealed the contract as you described, with a handshake, a signature, or even a kiss," Theo blew a kiss for dramatic effect, "... the side effect for breaking that could be something like 'Jake is unable to leave Theo's safe haven until Theo desires.' But the awful part of it would be that you would only know the conditions if you had a working command of Glamour. Which you would only have if you belonged to a Fae for quite some time." Theo shrugged, returning the bottle to the bar, leaning forward to look to Jake.

They shook their head, bitterness reaching into their voice. "Make no mistake..." Venom became evident in their words. Their stare became distant, looking through the vampire that sat before them. "You are absolutely right that most Fae Contracts are often nothing but extortion. Your world would be much safer without them."

They blinked, eyes returning to present company and becoming softer. "That's why I wanted to warn you, because learning to speak without offering anything can be a useful skill to have."

Theo considered Jake with a mischevous grin. "But as a politician, there are always risks you have to take, and you don't want to offend any powerful Fae you may come across. Luckily, there are ways to protect yourself, if you happen to have a friendly neighborhood Gentry to help you out." Theo pointed a thumb at their chest, puffing up with a genuine smile. Rohan turned the corner of the bar, abandoning his seat across the room and pouring himself a drink. He gave Jake a knowing look and a sympathetic smile at Theo's posing.

When Jake spoke of decapitation, Rohan startled, eyes turning wide to Jake in disbelief. Theo, however, was overjoyed. "Gah, I knew I would like you." They clapped and Rohan shook his head in self-pity as he lined up two shots and took them nearly simultaneously. Theo's antics necessitated medication, it would seem. They continued nevertheless. "So many people would tiptoe around the question, but it's been a while since I've been able to speak so plainly with someone." Theo gave Jake a smile. "I know that given the subject material, you may be reluctant to do so with me, but I hope you will in time." For some reason, Theo wanted to do more than just be business partners with the man in a boy's body -- they wanted to befriend him, genuinely.

"If I was walking around the streets, you could try take off my head -- and believe me, it'd be a wholly unpleasant situation, I would really like for this not to happen -- but you're right to assume that I'd be alive afterwards. My true form would either have to recollect the scraps of me from the Mortal World or would have to make a new body from scrap glamour. Bodies can be a bitch to get just right, so there's no telling exactly how long I'd be out. Similarly, though, I would likely get a lot more power for my mortal form before I let it return." Theo's eyes got a bit of a sinister gleam in them, as they mumbled under their breath. "Oooo, maybe give it some kind of threefold backlash curse, so people around whoever broke the body would suffer the same fate." Rohan shoulder-checked Theo as he passed by and they snapped back to reality once again. "All daydreaming aside, I think you get my point."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 07:02:31 AM »
There was something about Theo Jake didn't trust. It was too helpful. It was too benevolent for a creature who stated to have the power to off Jake's head if he took their's. Jake didn't like having no out, no way to pull the plug on An Tsi if it got out of hand. These Fae had a weakness. All things did. Theo didn't seem to share anything that would let Jake know what that was. When he did business with Lan Bao, he knew that she was one Kuei Jin. She was powerful, and Jake considered he didn't know the full depth of what she could do, but he knew that if sent the entirety of his security forces in, assumed dragon form, and had Maria's magic he could cause her fall. There was comfort in that knowledge. He assumed the remaining Kuei Jin would make it their life's mission to end him, but that wasn't the point. The point was that in a pinch, Jake could dispose of her. It made trusting her easier. It made him feel closer to her. She could easily kill him. He could kill her. There was something strangely equal about it. Theo was now a different story.

"I promise nothing," Jake began, "but, hypothetically, what is it you want. Why are you here? Why now?"

He leaned in so close to Theo they really could kiss if they wanted. His tone was soft, his expression pleased but mistrustful.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 05:05:52 AM »
Theo leaned back immediately in response. The reaction was obviously unconscious. A practiced reaction.

Given how at ease they had been before despite their conversation, it had to have been specific to the exchange. The distance came as his face approached hers. A familiar wince.

Theo turned the motion into a smooth lean against the back of the bar, immediately hiding their expression with a hand to their chin and a soft "Hmmm." They leaned back and downed their drink. "I can answer those questions, but I'll swap up the order."

"I'm here because it is most convenient. I've never been around so many powerful Mortals before, and especially ones who live such normal lives." Theo placed the empty glass in front of them. "That's what I want. Something resembling a pleasant, normal life for an abnormal person." They stroked the surface of the bar lovingly. "Friends, a job that I don't hate, maybe someone to love someday."

Theo thought to themselves, obviously debating something in their head. The silence stretched between them, as they considered Jake long and hard. They closed their eyes, took a deep breath, and their gaze turned softer as they exhaled and looked to Jake. "I also really, really do not want my father to find me yet, and anyone with half a brain would share that desire."

"As far as what I want from you, that is a tricky question, so I won't answer it for now." Theo shrugged. "I don't want to be beholden to an answer, and I don't have a set agenda for you in particular. Our relationship can be many things, but it depends on -- and will eventually be defined by -- your decision." They cleaned out the glasses in front of both of them, offering to make Jake another drink if he desired, but warning him that the liquor will get to even the most ironclad of constitutions eventually.

"I have very little interest in a relationship built on slavery. The most satisfying contracts for me to hold are the ones built in trust, consent, and compassion." They motioned to their surroundings. "That is how I got this bar." They pointed to Rohan, who hid an embarrassed blush. "That is how I got that dumbass." Theo dodged an expertly thrown washcloth the exact moment before it hit them.

"And I hope," they turned back to Jake, their smile genuine on their face, "that's how I'll make my new friends."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 05:21:53 AM »
Jake softened slightly at Theo's reply. No requests for children to sweep away came, or requests for maidens to promise their first born children. Theo claimed they wanted a life, and nothing more. Jake could understand that, other concerns aside. He needed to have some assurances more than just Theo's word though. He needed more.

"I will propose a deal then," Jake suggested. He was sure that if the stories were true he'd have Theo's attention. Rohan remained largely ignored. Jake considered him as a follower, not a leader like Theo. "I will allow An Tsi to operate in my district, and will not interfere with your day to day life. I'd even like to try hanging out as friends outside the bar. However, my condition is this, if humans or supernaturals start vanishing, and it's because they've been swept away by you, then your invitation to operate will be revoked."

He politely declined the offered drink. "Please don't feel singled out by my suspicious nature. I rule over ancients who could snap me in half with their mind. Witch's magic seems more actively powerful than your own abilities in this realm, and I reign over several. Werewolves could kill a hundred men in seconds if their power wasn't contained. Demons who've formed gangs did untold horrors to the people of this city. It's my job to put limits on great power, and gain assurances that the rules will be followed by all. If you would like to build a life here, and a relationship with others then assure me now that you will not abuse your power, or break any of my laws. I assure you my counter in this election would likely shut this place down for the mere idea of the threat it could pose if everything you've told me regarding Fae is true."

And now, he truly softened. "I want you to build the life you want, and have the security of a ruler who trusts you and can go to bat for you if need be. Help me do that by assuring me that no one will be harmed by you, your friend, or this place."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.