Author Topic: A Second Look  (Read 10774 times)

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
A Second Look
« on: November 17, 2019, 12:46:31 PM »
Trick pulled out his phone. The second time in as many minutes.

"You're keener than usual to get out of here," Sophie declared as she breezed past him, carrying a range of hodge-podge clothing on hangers. She stopped not too far away and nimbly raced her fingers through the numbered hangers on a display rack so she could make a gap in the clothing and re-hang what had been taken out of there. He watched her as he pocketed his phone because it was better than counting socks.

"Only ten minutes left. I'm going into the change room. Cover for me?"

"Did you finish counting them?"

"There's a pair missing."

"What kind of toff-nose would steal a pair of socks?" Sophie said, a confused smile on her face.

"The kind that thinks forty dollars for a pair of socks is ridiculous?" Trick shot back, standing up. He'd brought his bag with him, intending on getting changed before meeting Harm.

Sophie flicked her ginger locks. "They're cashmere," she said, adopting a posh accent and ending up sounding more like a drag queen than a wealthy socialite.

"After I get changed I'll give you a hand," he said, picking up his bag and gesturing to her armful of clothes. There were probably a dozen in her hands.

"Nah, I'll be finished before you strip into your undies. I can help you with that, though." She waggled her eyebrows excessively and after he wrinkled his face at her she made an obscene gesture with her tongue.

"Way to win me over."

"There are easier options on my side," she laughed, then headed for the next rack to hang a shirt on.

"You haven't met Harm," Trick mumbled. He noticed Sophie turn her head and glance at him but she didn't ask him to repeat himself and he was already on his way to the changing rooms.

At exactly ten o'clock Trick ducked under the lengthy roller door with his backpack in hand. Inside were his smart black pants, pressed white shirt, shiny black shoes and socks. What he wore now were a pair of faded pale blue jeans, white socks and sneakers, white tee with a lined olive green hoodie over the top.

He swept his gaze over the few seats Harm could've been waiting at.

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: A Second Look
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 02:09:39 PM »
As it happened, Harm was leaning against the wall panel between roller doors to wait. He was too filled with nervous energy to sit still so slouching against the wall was the best he'd managed, his fingers and thumbs drumming nervously on his thighs in anticipation. His wallet, key and phone were in his back pockets, making leaning against his butt a little awkward but it gave him something to think about instead of just worrying what he'd say to Trick.

He'd dressed smart casual, not knowing what tonight would entail. His jeans were blue and boot cut to go over his brown leather boots. Above it, he wore a pastel teal button up shirt that reflected his eye colour and a slim fit black blazer that accented the width of his shoulders nicely. His shirt was tucked in and the top two buttons were undone, the collar sitting mostly on the collar of the blazer.

His hair had taken him almost half an hour but he was pretty sure he'd done nothing different with it by the time he was done with his fussing. He'd put product in and blow dried it to give it more body, so it did look soft and bouncy, swept sleekly over the crown of his head. He'd also changed his earring to a large diamond instead of the paua shell he usually wore.

When he spied Trick duck under the roller door (and not instantly see him), Harm straightened off the wall and took a step towards him, his body tingling. He went to call out but his heart was suddenly in his throat choking him and his mouth was completely dry, giving him pause. He exhaled, swallowed and cleared his throat enough to speak, though his entire body was still going haywire with the excitement of seeing Trick again.

"Heya," he greeted Trick with a smile, his momentum restored enough that he could approach with steady steps. He wasn't game enough to hug or kiss Trick (though he desperately wanted to). He'd keep his fists tucked into his jeans pockets until he received an indication that Trick was interested in physical contact with him. Once bitten and all that.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 02:25:20 PM »
Trick turned when Harm called out to him, his expression showing that he hadn't expected to be surprised from behind. His face changed when he caught sight of Harm; his smile grew and he ducked his head momentarily, lifting his eyes again and chewing on his lower lip for a brief second. The hand not carrying the backpack swept through his hair.

"Harm. Hey," he said softly, then his hand swiped a few more times before he lowered it. "You look uhh... really good." Trick's gaze dropped to take Harm in from head to toe and back again, resting on Harm's eyes. "C'mon," he urged, indicating with his head that Harm should walk by his side.

Together, they headed for the rooftop carpark.

"Bye, Trick!" a female called out from behind them. "Bye, Trick's friend!"

Trick half turned and made a rude gesture which elicited a delighted laugh from her. "Bye, Soph," he said, grinning. He hurried his pace for the escalators, which were not yet switched off. A lot of shops were closed but still had staff moving around within them.

At the top of the escalators the glass doors slid back but a large, broad-shouldered security officer stood at them.

"Bye, Moose."

"Fuck off."

Trick grinned at Harm and they walked to Trick's car in the staff assigned section of the carpark. The rest of the lot was empty. Trick looked up and frowned at the lack of stars in the sky. After a moment he looked back down and across at Harm.

"Thanks for coming," he said, as though Harm might not have.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 02:37:01 PM »
Harm's nerves had settled a little by the time they got out to the carpark but he still wasn't too confident about talking, despite telling himself he was being fucking ridiculous. His boots gave him a little more height but Trick still felt unattainably tall and gorgeous, beyond his reach in so many ways.

He'd watched all the exchanges Trick had had with interest, gaining a glimpse of a Trick that he hadn't seen before - a public one, a joker. A bit of an ass, if the guard's reaction was anything to go by. He filed it all into his 'Trick' mental folder as he followed Trick to his car. He assumed it was working again, though he was already wary about it.

"Um... you're welcome?" he replied with an awkward little laugh.  He was aware that his silence was unusual and that Trick was going to comment if he didn't think of something different to say soon but he couldn't come up with anything pithy based on what had been said thus far. Into the breach, then. "So... I'm not going to be getting deja vu when I get into your car, right? I might be permanently scarred."

Fuck. That was lame.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 03:00:17 PM »
"Er."

Trick's grin faded and he looked flummoxed by the comment. A couple of more steps and he replied, but spoke towards where he was walking rather than at Harm.

"You had a good idea to look in the supe papers," Trick said, walking up to the boot of his car and pulling his keys out of his pocket. He opened it first and then looked over at Harm as he swapped one backpack for another before closing the lid. "There was an ad for a mechanic there so I got my car fixed next morning. It's been good since then."

He still hadn't bought new spark plugs or had the carburetor cleaned but that would happen tomorrow probably. His pay should've gone in tonight.

Shouldering his swapped backpack, he moved to the driver's side and unlocked the car. It wasn't long before they were both in his car. Trick carefully reached around and placed his backpack in the foot well behind his own seat.

"My camera gear is in there," he explained when Harm looked at him. "Check it out," he said, putting his key in the ignition. He turned it, the car whirred twice and caught. He grinned at Harm like he'd just performed the most awesome magic trick in the world.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 03:17:32 PM »
Shit. Trick's silence after his lame joke was obvious and Harm surmised it was because he'd made a reference to Saturday. Because Saturday had gone so badly Trick had walked out on him. He wanted to shrivel up on the spot but there were, unfortunately, no sinkholes opening up in this carpark at that very moment. He blushed, glad Trick wasn't looking at him and that he was under cover of the darkness.

"Oh, good," he smiled when told his idea to check for tow companies in the supernatural media had worked in Trick's favour. A mechanic was better than a towie. He'd intended they do that together, really but... yeah. Best not to dwell. He got in the car and pulled his phone out of his back pocket to slide it into his jacket instead. He put on his belt and settled back into the passenger seat, watching Trick intently. He nodded at the camera gear explanation and applauded with a little laugh when the car started first time.

"So that's what she sounds like," he exclaimed, then realised he was referencing Saturday again, which seemed to be a taboo subject for Trick.  Harm hoped that passed because he still wanted to know what had gone wrong. He dutifully changed the subject, though. "So what's the plan with this photography assignment? You take a class, you said? I slept all afternoon so I am ready for anything," he joked, holding his hands out towards the dashboard like he was braced for the impact of whatever Trick planned to throw at him tonight.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 03:46:48 PM »
"Yeah," Trick agreed with a laugh about how his car sounded. Not the velvety purr of his dad's car, but more of a rough growl of a car that had traveled many a bumpy road.

"Yeah, Friday mornings. My assignment isn't due until next week, not tomorrow." Trick grinned at Harm and then pulled out of the parking space, steering his way out of the lot and eventually onto the road as he spoke. "It's the first nighttime assignment and I get the feeling everybody's going to be taking photos of the city. As cool as Chinatown was when we went there, I don't want to do what everyone else is doing. I want to be unexpected. Go somewhere quiet instead." He snuck a look at Harm after he said this and then focussed on the road again, following the signs that would take them onto the highway, heading northwest.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 03:50:55 PM »
Harm was reassured by Trick's smile, mirroring it automatically. As they pulled out of the car park, he watched the driver with far more interest than the road they were taking.

"I like the quiet," Harm smiled approvingly. "What're you thinking? The lake as your subject matter? Is the assignment just 'take pictures at night' or are there criteria?"

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 03:54:52 PM »
"It can be anything at night but we have to use a long shutter technique," Trick said. "I have to get far enough away from the city lights to be able to capture the stars. It'll take a couple of hours while I babysit my camera."

He glanced at Harm again, giving him more side-eye than a full look. "We're not going to the lake."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 04:06:07 PM »
Harm's smile was fond and his voice soft when he responded. "Oh. I love looking at the stars. It heals me. I do it... regularly," he admitted, blushing as his voice vibrated with genuine emotion.

He wasn't ready to admit just how deep a connection he felt to stargazing because it was something he did whenever he was feeling lost and broken and he wasn't ready to be that vulnerable in front of Trick yet. He'd hurt him enough, he didn't need fuel for that particular fire. Plus, there was now the very real prospect that they'd be laying together in the darkness looking at the stars for hours and that made him feel both terrified and ecstatic. There wasn't a lot in between.

"You should've warned me," he chuckled, looking down at his jacket. He was hot in it, in the car, but he was damned if he was going to take it off. He'd appreciate the extra layer when they started laying about in the dark somewhere - though a hoodie would've been more comfortable and appropriate for lounging on grass.

"I'd have dressed differently. You like being a man of mystery though, huh?" he teased gently, turning to watch Trick again. He shuffled around in his seat a little to do it more easily, feeling the familiar comfort of being allowed to look at Trick returning. He wasn't a polite stranger, despite Harm's heart trying to keep him at a safe distance.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 04:25:17 PM »
"I did warn you," Trick said with a smile. "'Photography assignment' isn't the same as going clubbing," he said, the smile stamped on his face.

When Harm shifted in his seat and now that he was on the highway, Trick looked over at him more often. "I like what you're wearing. I have a picnic rug in the boot." After a moment, "Man of mystery?" he repeated with a quirky smile. It faded and he looked out the front of the windshield, looking like there was something important that needed saying.

"After I set up the camera, I'd like to tell you something about me."

The sentence seemed to take a lot out of him and Trick lapsed into silence.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 04:29:39 PM »
"Sounds ominous," Harm said warily, trying to make light of the alarm fluttering around inside him by adding a little laugh. "I'm happy to listen, though."

He tried to shut down his rampaging mind, which was generally throwing all sorts of random shit at him, most of which centred around the notion that Trick was off limits in some form or other. Would he have invited him out to tell him that, though? He'd never struck Harm as cruel.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 04:39:18 PM »
"No, no, it's nothing like that. Nothing ominous," Trick repeated. He checked his speed, then the rear-view, then glanced over at Harm with a brief smile. "Yeah."

Trick looked away again and pressed his lips together tightly. After a few heartbeats he asked: "Did you get back to the carnival at all before it shut?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 04:45:25 PM »
Harm gnawed on the inside of his lower lip briefly, knowing he had to tell the truth but sort of wishing he didn't have to. Things had been going so well and now it felt like anything he said could ruin it. He sighed quietly, aware that the silence was stretching, making it worse.

"Yeah. I went back after you left me Saturday night. Stayed there most of the night so I could get a look at what came out in the darkness. Did some crowd watching but spent most of my time in the cultures tent talking to all the different species people. Went home about five, six, something like that. Slept all day," he shrugged, feeling defensive and trying not to think too hard about how Trick would take this news.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 04:49:29 PM »
Trick was silent for a moment before commenting.

"I missed you by an hour or two, then," he said, keeping his voice light but he could hear it wasn't quite right. "I was there at seven."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2019, 04:51:08 PM »
"Yeah, well, I knew you were going back with your family so I wanted to be gone by the time you guys got there. I figured you wouldn't want to see me even accidentally so I made sure I left while it was still dark," he shrugged, gnawing on his lip again.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2019, 04:53:45 PM »
"What? Why would you think that?" Trick asked, surprised, looking at Harm a couple of times between glances at the road. "My family adore you. And I..." he stared at the road. "Well, you're here, aren't you," he stated.

A slow blush crept upon his cheeks, seen by the soft lighting of the dashboard. Trick frowned at the road.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2019, 05:01:26 PM »
Harm gave Trick a look laced with disbelief, his mouth falling open in surprise.

"Well, mainly because you didn't invite me to join you guys again but also there was the fact that you left me Saturday night like I'd done something so wrong I'd offended your ancestors and I had no idea what it was!" he exclaimed, starting to sound like his usual self as he allowed genuine feelings to flavour his words.

"It was pretty confusing. Maybe I'm here now but I got the feeling you never wanted to see me again so there was no way I was going to pressure you!"

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2019, 05:10:50 PM »
Trick took a long time replying. He pulled his lips in and gently bit them from the inside, then pooched them out and twisted them to one side. His face went back to normal when someone roared up the inside and cut him off. He frowned lightly, blinking, then spoke.

"Sorry." Nothing else came after that.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2019, 05:21:06 PM »
Harm sighed, having watched Trick's facial acrobatics with his heart in his mouth for very little return. It only added to his confusion and the frustrating mystery of his transgression.

"Noooo, I'm sorry," he replied wearily. "Whatever it was, you don't need to tell me now but you do need to tell me eventually so I don't do it to you again. You should know that I was generally very fucking sorry that I spooked you because it all felt like my fault. I thought I backed off enough. I thought I was respecting your boundaries and I hated that I didn't. Somehow. It's not what I'm about and I was appalled, thinking I'd upset you that much. It was because I took my shirt off, right? That's all I've been able to come up with. I know it had to have something to do with that. It made you feel unsafe? I was just fucking hot, honestly, I wasn't going to do anything more to you, I promise."

Harm shook his head, the extended misery of his cyclical thoughts on this matter showing through in his tone of voice. It would be clear to Trick that he'd done a lot of thinking about the incident.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2019, 05:30:10 PM »
This time Harm didn't have to wait as long for a reply.

"I'm going to tell you," he said firmly. He looked over at Harm, his expression earnest before he looked back at the road. "I already said. I want to tell you."

He lapsed into silence again before indicating that he was taking the next turn-off. After a few more turns, they were driving along the winding cliff side road.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2019, 05:36:28 PM »
"Okay," Harm agreed softly, uncertain.

When Trick had said he wanted to tell him something about himself, it hadn't seemed connected to what had happened with the two of them on Saturday night so Harm didn't understand how they related. He was reassured that Trick was going to tell him everything, though. He just had to be patient and wait it out.

He watched the road instead, trying to calm his nerves and not think too much about anything until he was told. He trusted Trick.