Author Topic: Mistakes Were Made  (Read 16015 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Mistakes Were Made
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2019, 07:12:26 AM »
"Alright," he agreed to telling Kerr straight up.

When a second prompt for his motivation came, there was a long pause as Ben struggled to answer Kerr's question. It felt ridiculous in his head and made his cruelty seem somehow worse than it already was because of this petty reason. It was better to hurt Cain because he wanted to, because he was intellectually testing himself out, trying on a different skin, not because of anything to do with two specific emotions.

"Multiple reasons," he said finally. "Some driven by emotion, others by experimentation." He hoped Kerr wouldn't ask for specifics but then he worried that he was already breaking his agreement to tell Kerr things straight up. "I already told you I wanted to see if I liked doing it. I do and don't. Right now I don't feel like it's worth it for just a bit of a rush. I understand now why some vampires at Risk wanted to hurt the groupies because it's the rush without dealing with the consequences. They didn't have to look at it, or live with it. I understand more about Venture's 'no harm' magic that Charon had Sabrina do for him. It's to put a stop to the kind of thing I did," he said softly, revealing an inkling to Kerr that he knew Charon would not have looked kindly on Ben if he'd learnt about Cain. "And he intimidates me. He always has. Muscular and tall and always so fucking happy in a way I can't tap into. Which has me jealous, too. How he is and also that he embodies your lust. Unprompted sexual attraction. I never realised until Sa... until I felt it too, how strong that desire really was. It's reciprocal in Cain for you and he'll never feel that lust for me that he does for you. So I punished him for it. Punished you both, because my version is out of my reach."

He wondered if Kerr would look or sneer at the mark on his chest again. It felt like an emotional slap every time Kerr did it. He didn't know if that was because he was affected by it or if the blood bond was sharing with him how Kerr felt about it. Either way was awful.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2019, 05:42:12 PM »
Kerr's hands remained on Ben until he started talking about Saraekiel and Cain and then he pulled them away like he'd been burnt. He took a step back from Ben, a troubled expression on his face as he thought Ben's message through. He kept his gaze on Ben's face.

The connections Ben made about mortals being hurt by kindred were, on the whole, good. They showed growth that buoyed and reassured Kerr. That feeling plummeted moments later when Ben talked about lust and their respective recipients. He'd never have called it 'unprompted sexual attraction' and the implication that he felt something similar for Cain to what Ben felt with Saraekiel filled him with immediate, turgid rage so powerful that he couldn't completely block it from travelling to Ben via their blood bond.

Exhaling air through his nose, he walked over to a nearby couch and sat down, glowering at the coffee table, his fists on his spread knees like a schoolboy seated for his class photograph. He was offended by the notion that he felt 'unprovoked lust' for anyone except Ben... though he recalled what it had been like when he'd first met Cain. Grudgingly. As he sat and processed, his fury lessened and allowed him access to more rational thought, though his emotions remained turbulent. He folded his arms across his chest, still glaring anywhere but at Ben.

It stung. Being categorised as a slave to any emotion was anathema, let alone one so pathetic as lust. His hatred for Saraekiel clouded his judgment, too. It was very difficult to get past and acknowledge that that was where Ben's feelings for the dark angel went and no farther but if he put Cain and himself in their positions... he understood it and could deal with a little better. Sure, he liked looking at Cain and they sparked physically but he didn't feel anything close for him, compared to the enormity of his love for Ben. He could assume it was the same for Ben with the dark angel, which was reassuring. To a degree.

The problem was that he had independent hatred and disdain for Saraekiel that Ben also had to combat. His terror that Ben would be drawn to the Angel's darkness and be corrupted was lesser thanks to their discussion this evening but it wasn't completely gone. Saraekiel was a loose weapon, an abomination and corruption advocating free will and chaos. He offered nothing of value to the city and his passion for Ben just felt like a personal attack because Kerr hated him so much. Like he only cared about Ben to spite him... but that was ridiculous, he knew. He was not the centre of the universe and he wasn't even on Saraekiel's radar (for which he was grateful).

Worse than all of that was the additional lesson in humility for Kerr. Ben had just admitted he'd punished Cain and Kerr because he was jealous. They got to indulge their lust while the object of his was forbidden to him. Kerr gritted his teeth, the rage rising in him again as he contemplated allowing Ben to return to Saraekiel to slake his desire. Everything within him cringed and selfishness tainted his heart. He didn't give a fuck. So what if Ben resented him and Cain? Cain was a good person, an inconsequential mortal that would be out of their lives before they knew it. Such was the nature of mortality. Saraekiel was a threat that would never go away - unless someone actively tried to do something about him. Kerr had never wished anyone dead but Saraekiel was the top of his list now.

None of that stopped Ben wanting him, though. Kerr closed his eyes, rubbing his hands over his face wearily, though he'd just got out of bed. This shit was fucking exhausting. Hateful and hurtful. He opened his eyes with a sigh and looked to see where Ben was, frowning at him even though it was really himself that Kerr was upset with. He was in a precarious ethical position and he hated it but he was also obstinate and infuriated enough to be unwilling to change it. There was one thing he could do to make things fairer, though.

"Why is Cain still here?" he asked Ben bluntly. "Is it because you enjoy being a more evolved person than me?" he added with a reluctant laugh. "There is nothing in this world that would convince me to put myself between you and Saraekiel again. I did it once and it was horrific. I hate him and everything he stands for, I hate that you sided with him against me, I hate that you fucked him and would do it every chance you got. Jealousy... yeah, I get that, too. Terror, hatred, jealousy. And you've been living like that? That's insane and unbearable. Your treatment of Cain makes perfect sense now and I don't blame you. In your position... well. I'd never be in your position because I wouldn't stay to see you with Saraekiel," he admitted flatly, referring to the ultimatum he'd already issued Ben.

"But the point remains that you can't be expected to live between Cain and I. He needs to go."

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2019, 06:14:34 PM »
Ben didn't miss the way Kerr drew apart from him. When Kerr glared and then stepped around the lounge to flop down upon it, Ben followed cautiously, remaining behind the adjacent couch and leaning on the back of it with his elbows, fingers clasped together as he stared at Kerr, watching him process everything.

All he could do now was wait. Wait for judgment to pass. Wait for Kerr to work through the rage Ben had very obviously felt and hopefully get to the other side of it. Ben didn't know what the rage was about; there were lots of things, most of them because of his actions and words. Ben felt like he'd struck a flint and now everything was burning down around him. Instead of warning him about sock-stealing frogs, why hadn't Digital given him some guidance about how to get through this conversation intact?

After a terribly long silence, the question about Cain threw him. Ben frowned at the follow-up. At the mention of Saraekiel came three statements of hatred. Not so bad. It was amazing Kerr could even spit out his name. And then again, the reminder that he couldn't indulge with who he really wanted without sacrificing Kerr. It embittered him to hear it once more, especially now that Kerr knew that Ben had trusted him with Cain.

And then Kerr finished with the announcement that Cain was to go. So much for living with the consequences of his actions and learning from them.

"No," he said flatly. "That's your expectation, not mine. I need him here if I want to learn restraint. I need to change my dynamic with him before he goes anywhere." After a moment. "How long is it safe to leave him like that, anyway? He's not going to get brain damage or anything, will he?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2019, 06:24:50 PM »
Kerr frowned, unable to fathom how Ben could put himself through living with Cain. He supposed he didn't despise Cain with the same passion Kerr did Saraekiel but it still couldn't be easy. At least he didn't have to see Kerr sleeping with him any more.

"He's asleep. He's fine. I can wake him now if you want to go, though," Kerr offered, his voice flat. Everything in him was flat, in the face of these  awful realisations. Guilt snaked through him, powered by the knowledge of his own stubborn unreasonableness.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2019, 06:28:16 PM »
Ben stared at Kerr for a longer moment. He could tell something was off but he didn't know what it was. His confession had impact but not how he'd expected it. Where had that boiling rage gone? Was Kerr feeling defeated? He'd wanted to push Cain out the door. Was that some kind of concession? He'd made a peculiar statement about how evolved Ben was. Ben still didn't understand that one.

"What is it? What's going on with you? Your turn to tell me now," Ben said, not joking at all.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2019, 06:46:05 PM »
Kerr shook his head and looked away, out towards the skyline, rubbing his eyes with his thumb and the tips of his fingers before pulling them in to pinch his nose before he dropped it. His lips were a compressed line as he dragged his gaze back to meet Ben's. He shrugged, not really trusting himself to speak at the moment lest it rouse some of the weaker emotions flowing through him. He felt like crying and he didn't want that to happen.

I feel like a failure. Like I failed you. And I'm cheating. Double standards. But I just can't... His frown was back and he gritted his teeth, his fists clenching as a wave of despair and revulsion washed over him. When it receded, he swallowed, his throat tight and his eyelids attempting to blink away the pain. Maybe I could leave... for a while? I'd come back but... let you have a turn, he offered, trying to look at Ben but only getting as far as the burn on his chest. His lip curled but he held in the sneer.

Yes. If he didn't have to see it, he could live with it.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2019, 07:29:18 PM »
"Cheating?" Ben repeated after Kerr said he 'just can't' and then paused. Ben's voice sounded too loud as a reply to mental communication so he switched as well. He waited until Kerr finished, talking about leaving? A tendril of fear snaked through Ben once again only it had nowhere to go because he didn't know what was causing it. Let him have a turn? At what?

And then he understood. The realisation smacked him in the face.

I abuse Cain and you're giving me Saraekiel?

He didn't mean to use the dark angel's name but he was too shocked to think of another way to phrase it. It made no sense.

No, actually, it made a horrible kind of sense.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2019, 07:36:05 PM »
Kerr shrugged and nodded, eyelids fluttering and teeth thudding around his stud as his right arm crossed his body to grab hold of his left arm. He felt helpless and out of sorts but it also felt right. Because it would be fair.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2019, 07:47:56 PM »
There were so many comments and questions and statements that begged to be made, but he held his tongue and his thoughts on all of them, keeping them locked up tight.

You called me corruptible
You warned I make bad, dangerous choices
I'm drawn to power
I'm drawn to darkness
I was abusive
And because I admitted I was jealous
And it made me act petty and cruel
You're giving me permission to...

All of those things would start a conversation towards Kerr changing his mind. Ben knew he should argue it, point out that this decision went against everything Kerr had said so far, that he didn't want Saraekiel as much as he wanted Kerr, that he was blurring the lines of a professional relationship should he become District Leader of Central...

And then another thought occurred to him.

Are you testing me right now? Do you want me to say I don't want that?

Because Ben didn't want to say it, but he would if it meant Kerr would be angry with him, upset and betrayed. Right now it sounded to him like Kerr thought it was the fairest decision. Quite frankly, he agreed.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2019, 07:54:40 PM »
Tears welled in Kerr's eyes despite him holding his voice, his throat constricting. He smiled sadly but the emotions swirling within him pulled it down at the corners and it disintegrated before it became anything. Was he testing Ben?

Maybe I am.

He thought he already had his answer.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2019, 08:05:22 PM »
"That's not fair," Ben said, standing up straight, his fingers dancing on the back of the couch as he looked at Kerr. "It's not honest, either," he said, his voice sounding cool even though inside of him he matched Kerr's inner turmoil.

He couldn't be here and continue this conversation. He turned to leave once again, intending on dressing quickly and going downstairs to bury himself in work. No, he wouldn't be able to focus on that. He'd go to Venture and hang around in the VIP room out back.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2019, 08:13:02 PM »
Kerr watched Ben walk away, recognising the move, knowing he'd get dressed and go somewhere. Maybe even to Saraekiel. Kerr would wait until Ben left and then pack his bags and go too.

No-one ever said life was fair.