Author Topic: Accruing Debts  (Read 13857 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Accruing Debts
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 01:20:37 AM »
Sam opened his mouth to apologise for asking the elderly woman to lie, realising only when she scorned his offer by refusing that not everyone was comfortable with such an instruction. Javier interrupted before he could find the right words to appease her, though, so all he ended up doing was closing it again, feeling chagrined. Maria promised she'd keep quiet about Remi's healing, for Remi's sake and Sam's shoulders loosened as the tension drained out of them. It wasn't exactly a smooth transition but he was pleased they got there in the end. He smiled at Javier's impression of his grandmother, turning when Remi got his attention.

"You have to be more careful. Please," he implored, all the good humour leaking out of him as he gazed upon Remi's beautiful face, his concern obvious in his expression. "You did a good thing, I get that, but they take their secrecy really seriously in the city and I don't want you banished. You just--" came back to me, I don't want to lose you again "n-need to be careful," he mumbled awkwardly to a stop, loathe to admit his thoughts. This wasn't Gene; he knew that. But it sort of was, too and he didn't want to lose the chance for... a friendship because of Remi breaking district laws.

"Anyway," he continued brusquely before Remi could say anything, breaking eye contact in order to look down at Remi's shopping a short distance away. It was a convenient thing to focus on because contemplating Remi getting punished left him feeling vulnerable and anxious. "I'll let you finish up. I'll go wait outside for you," he declared, again not waiting for an answer before he spun and headed for the exit. He offered Maria a grateful smile and a soft, "Gracias," as he passed her, stepping out of the small store and back onto the street like he was emerging from an aromatic cave.

He inhaled the night air deeply, clearing his senses of the little store's imprint along with the drama Remi had inadvertently created. Sam moved along the footpath a short distance so that he wasn't blocking the doorway and leant back against a glass window, his arms folded and his gaze speculative, even though he was doing his best not to think too hard about what had just happened. What if it was already too late, though? What if somebody at Maria's church knew enough to make this complicated and Remi got into trouble? Sam supposed he had to push it from his mind and hope for the best... but that was easier said than done.

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2019, 05:38:34 PM »
Remi was left blinking at Sam’s retreating figure, unsure if he would’ve been able to say anything worthwhile even if he’d been given an opportunity to speak. His desire to console Sam was stronger than it had been earlier when he’d witnessed the vampire’s reaction to his question about Gene, but how could he help? Remi frowned and rubbed at the back of his neck. The easiest thing would be to tell Sam what he wanted to hear, but like Maria — who stood nearby fretting with a display of colorful sweets when she wasn’t casting worried looks his way — Remi wasn’t willing to be dishonest just to appease him.

For the moment, all that he could do was complete his original mission.

He sighed as he gathered his box from the ground, shifting it to his side so he could fill it the rest of the way. Hopefully, by the time he’d finished his shopping, he’d have figured out a better way to reassure Sam.

"They uh… They wouldn’t let me give them money for anything," Remi said to Sam outside several minutes later, looking down at the box in his arms. Javier had found and secured a top to it by lashing it down with nearly a full roll of packing tape.

It might be hard to get open, the human had said, but you won’t lose anything on your way home. Then he’d slid the box across the counter and told Remi that he didn’t need to pay. Not now, not ever. Familia ate free of charge.

"I have something I want to say before we go, though," he continued, maintaining his momentum while he had it. "I don’t want to cause trouble for anyone. For you, or Maria, or Javier or anyone else but I—" He blew out a frustrated burst of air through his nose. “I can’t let people suffer when I have the power to help them." Remi looked over his shoulder through the window. Javier was still at the front counter, chewing on the end of a pen and eyeing an open notebook with disdain. "I just need to figure out how to be more careful about it, like you said."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2019, 12:17:14 AM »
It was only once Remi mentioned money that Sam remembered he'd accompanied him to the grocery store ostensibly to pay for his food. And then he'd walked out after warning the owner to keep her mouth shut. Fantastic alternative. Guilt washed through him again. He'd been so caught up in moping and worrying about Remi that he'd forgotten his purpose. Thankfully, the family were as kind as they were grateful.

"I'm sorry," he sighed but fell quiet when Remi declared he had something to say. Sam heard him out, nodding when he came to a sensible conclusion. "You do," he agreed but then smiled, placing a hand on Remi's upper arm in what he hoped was a reassuring gesture (not just a good way to feel Remi's muscles). "You're new to the city and its laws and I have faith you'll make the right choices. Even if they're difficult," he intoned with sympathy.

He dropped his hand and made a point of looking around as if he expected someone to spring out of the shadows at them. He then looked back at Remi. "So. In the interest of discretion, just how will we get up to your garden without being seen?" He eyed the box in Remi's arms. "Are you sure there's room for me?" he teased, lifting his gaze to meet Remi's soulful eyes while he smiled.

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2019, 11:55:33 AM »
He’d steeled himself for an argument, but with Sam's response, tension began to leak from his muscles like rain from an overfull cloud. Everything from Sam’s gentle tone to the way he grasped his arm further relaxed Remi, so that by the time the vampire cracked his joke, the remaining trepidation Remi had felt dissipated.

If Vretil ever met Sam, he’d be in for a shock. According to his mentor, vampires were supposed to be rabid bloodletters incapable of anything but hunting their prey, but over the course of the night, Sam had shown time and again that he was more than capable of kindness and empathy.

He had a good sense of humor, too.

Remi schooled his features, keeping everything as serious as possible as he looked from Sam to his box and back again.

"No," he said, blinking exaggeratedly, "I don’t think you’d fit in the box. This… could be a problem."

His façade of bewilderment cracked and crumbled in the presence of the laughter that bubbled up his throat. Once he was able to contain his grin enough to speak, he expanded upon his actual plan, "Ah, there’s a park nearby I take off from. It's quiet after dark. If you can hold onto the box, I can hold you."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2019, 08:35:50 PM »
Samuel's expression registered his surprise. He'd meant fitting in Remi's arms along with the box... but he stopped mentally explaining it to himself as he realised Remi had made a joke. That was unexpected. Instead of elaborating, he appreciated Remi's humour; he smiled, which became a giggle of delight as Remi also laughed, his lovely face lit up with mischief. It was a nice end to their problematic trip to the store.

"I can do that," Sam agreed amiably, walking alongside Remi as he led the way to the park. They were quiet for a few moments as Sam thought about Remi's necessarily rapid evolution from steel-spined angel autocrat to a compassionate divinity that could make jokes. He was a big fan of the changes and admired Remi's adaptability. It was a necessary skill for survival, particularly in this city.

"So... when do you want to begin working on the translations with me? What's your schedule like? I'm at the Academy library most nights so we can either work there or my place but if it's my place, I'll need to make special arrangements," he offered with a shrug.

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2019, 12:32:48 PM »
"Schedule?" he repeated, his brow wrinkling as he glanced at the vampire.

Sam had provided context by mentioning where he usually was at night, so Remi understood what the word schedule meant and why he’d be asked about his. His mind was frustratingly blank when he tried to picture what he did, though — especially what he did with any sort of regularity. If it hadn’t been for the box in his hands, he would’ve rubbed at the back of his neck or jawline as he contemplated his answer, but he had to suffice with chewing on the inside of his cheek. What did he do with his days? His nights? There was plenty: tending to his garden, reading the multitude of texts Vretil brought him, exploring the city by air, helping out those he could… but never in any particular order.

"I don’t really have one," he confessed. "If I want to do something, I do it." He mimicked Sam’s shrug. "I can start whenever." He’d be a bit more picky about where he worked, however, and his next series of questions reflected that. "Does the library have big windows like your apartment? Or a balcony? How tall are the ceilings?"

When he glanced at Sam again, his mouth was tight with worry.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2019, 02:01:28 PM »
Samuel had not considered Remi's panic in tight spaces when he'd discussed his employment and he was chagrined to be reminded of it now. He should've realised. He thought about what he had to offer the angel with regard to working conditions and suspected he'd be fine but he'd let Remi be the judge of the situation.

"Oh," he said, giving the architecture of his workplace some consideration. "It does have large windows and high ceilings, yes. In fact, it's positioned at the end of a double-storey wing so, in the foyer part where the loans counter and my office is, the ceilings are in a void and they're two floors high. The entryway is an entirely-glass wall with security gates just inside. The counter's on your right when you walk in. Around you - and beyond that - there are computers, lounging areas, bookstacks and then there's an upper floor - a mezzanine level - with meeting rooms, quiet study rooms, corrals, some more elite shelving and study nooks. It's a brand new building with a variety of spaces though I would likely work with you in my office." He paused to think how to describe his primary workspace.

"It's got half normal walls," he wedged his hand against his waist to show how high the solid walls in his office went, "the rest is glass," Sam explained, his arm whooshing upward to describe how high the top-most section of the three walls went. It went well above Remi's head. "I should say that the back wall is a boundary wall so that's solid but the other three are mostly glass and the doorway is wide. The office isn't huge - it's about fifteen by fifteen metres - but it feels spacious and my desk is very large, so there's ample space behind it for both of us to sit. If you're not comfortable there, we can choose somewhere else though, that would be fine," he offered hastily, looking earnestly over at Remi.

"I can work anywhere, really. I just need you to read to me and a computer to type what the book says. I just thought we'd work at the Academy because that's technically who you're working for so it will be more... professional, I guess," he chuckled, shrugging abashedly at his companion.

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2019, 04:08:20 PM »
Remi leaned forward a fraction and twisted his head as they walked, putting himself in a better position to watch Sam closely as he spun an image of the library with both his hands and words. Some of the terms he used Remi didn’t understand, but he got the gist. The library was substantial, and with any luck, it’d be like the foyer of the hotel, where the ceiling had risen so far above his head that he’d been able to forget it was there. Maybe the room would have some paintings that reminded him of clouds, too. Even if it didn't, he’d made a useful discovery on the elevator.

He smiled and bumped his shoulder into Sam’s, though not with enough force he’d send the vampire sailing off the sidewalk and into the road. "As long as you’re there, you can distract me if uh… Well, if I start to feel like the whole place is going to fall on my head." Shockingly cold hands had done wonders at helping him focus on something other than his impending doom — ridiculous as the notion was. He’d been on an elevator twice now and he hadn’t suffocated either time. Until he was able to align his brain with reality, though, having Sam nearby was a godsend.

How odd, that he’d be able to think of a vampire as a blessing, not a curse.

"Here we are," he said, coming to a stop and lifting his chin to point out the hunter green sign across the street that gave the name of the park and stated that it was closed already. "I never see many people after the sun sets, so we shouldn’t have trouble finding a spot to take off from." As they waited for the little man in the box to light up white and give them permission to cross at the intersection, he regarded Sam curiously. "Have you ever flown before?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2019, 04:19:40 PM »
Samuel chuckled. "Only in an aeroplane. This... well, I'm a little nervous about this, truth be told," he admitted, stepping off the curb when the pedestrian light went their way and the little box on the pole started making an obnoxious beeping noise.

"You might need to distract me from my terror. The good thing is, I don't need to breathe so you can squeeze me as tight as you like and I won't mind at all," he insisted seriously as they moved off the street and into the shadowy recesses of the park. He couldn't imagine what position he needed to be in for Remi to get the best hold on him but he was reviewing possibilities mentally as a question occurred to him.

"Have you ever taken someone flying before?" He really hoped Remi's answer was yes. He already regretted asking.

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2019, 06:56:13 PM »
“I have,” Remi said, amusement catching at the corner of his mouth and tugging it upwards in a lopsided smile. “I’ve only dropped someone once, but I was able to catch him again before he hit the ground.”

What he could see of Sam’s reaction on the dimly lit pathway they traversed made him regret his joke and rush to elaborate. “It happened when I was in Mexico. He jumped out of airplanes as his job. A skydiver, I believe it’s called. He wanted me to let go and catch him again, but when I wouldn’t, he wiggled out of my arms and I had to. Unless you do that, I won’t drop you. I promise.”

He considered including an addendum, but it’d be rude to tell the vampire that if he succumbed to temptation and bit him, he’d let him plummet to the earth without a second thought.

And he wouldn’t dive after him.

Well.

He probably would after he’d fallen a few thousand feet. That’d give him plenty of time to think about what he’d done.

They walked farther into the park until they came to an open field of short grass and two nets at opposing ends. During the day, he’d watched people play a game where the goal was to kick a black and white checkered ball into said nets. It seemed like great fun, at least for the onlookers, who’d hooted and hollered any time someone managed to score a point.

“This is perfect,” he announced once he’d led Sam to the far end of the field. From there, he'd have plenty of room to run and get his feet off the ground with Sam’s added weight.

After he moved several steps away from Sam, Remi closed his eyes and focused on releasing his hold on the glamor that’d kept his wings hidden from all except those who had access to the heavenly planes. He breathed in deeply through his nose and released it in a happy sigh as he stretched his dove-white wings out, curled them around himself, and then settled them into their original position tucked against his back.

He was whole again.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2019, 07:58:26 PM »
Sam's expression when Remi talked about dropping and regathering someone told the angel exactly how he felt; terrified! The elaboration was mildly reassuring, although it did give Sam cause to wonder why the angel was fooling around with a skydiver in the first place. It sounded like they were playing games in the sky - and definitely like the skydiver knew Remi was an angel. Clearly, he couldn't keep his secret no matter what city he was in. What else had the skydiver learnt?

"How cute," Sam labelled Remi's wriggling skydiver story drolly. "I definitely won't be moving around," he assured the angel seriously. He wasn't afraid of heights necessarily but he was afraid of hitting the ground after a long fall that his body wouldn't recover from. He had no intention of tempting fate and it only occurred to him in that moment that he was putting an awful lot of faith in the angel not wanting to let him go in order to punish him. He'd promised, though and Sam trusted that.

When they reached the soccer field and Remi announced it as perfect, Sam squared his shoulders and took the grocery box without saying anything. The appearance of Remi's wings had him staring. They looked solid and trustworthy and Remi was beatific with them visible again. Nervously, Sam glanced around, detecting no heartbeats or creature warmth within their vicinity of the park. That made him feel better and he was more confident when he looked back at Remi.

"You're really beautiful, you know that?" he breathed, his gaze roaming from the wings down to Remi's face appreciatively. Suddenly, being in the angel's arms took on a whole different level of meaning and nervousness.

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2019, 11:05:47 AM »
"I appreciate the compliment," said Remi, eyes bright and dancing merrily, "but I already said I wouldn’t drop you. It’s not necessary to flatter me."

He beckoned the vampire closer and attempted to explain exactly how he planned on carrying him. In the end, he gave up trying to describe his intended hand placement and just did what he needed to, sliding an arm around Sam’s broad shoulders before he dipped down and hooked his other arm at the back of his legs so he could scoop him off the ground.

Once Sam was secure against his chest and the box had been rearranged so it wasn’t digging into his throat, the angel lifted his wings and began his running takeoff. His eyes were intent on the netted goal box as he surged forward, his wings snapping powerfully to push him even faster. Midway down the field, his feet cleared the ground and didn’t touch it again. It was all on his feathery appendages from that point forward, and he gritted his teeth as he neared the goal box and still hadn’t gained altitude to clear it. He was strong of body, enough that he carried Sam with ease, but his wings were built to carry one.

"Almost there," he ground out, and by some miracle, he flew over the netted open-faced cage, not through it. Checkered balls belonged there, not angels and their cargo.

Remi laughed triumphantly, but they weren’t in the clear yet. They needed more distance between them and the ground. There were trees and buildings to avoid, not to mention a certain anti-flying brigade that had promised to knock him out of the sky if they caught him again.

If. If they caught him.

He grinned as he climbed higher with every stroke of his massive wings, eventually beginning an upwards spiral that would take them above the clouds.

"Okay so far?" he called out loudly to be heard over the wind that rushed past their ears, tilting his head to inspect his passenger.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2019, 12:26:24 PM »
Samuel's time enjoying the sensation of Remi's arms around him and the feel of their bodies pressed together was brief. Pleasure was overtaken by anxiety as Remi started running and flapping his wings. The rhythm and power of it rolled through Sam and he closed his eyes, unable to watch. If he'd been prone to breathing, it certainly would have been suspended in that moment, while he prayed for a positive outcome.

He felt it when they left the Earth, there was a disconnection from solid things and a surrender to the air that echoed through his body as weightless alarm. Remi's laughter was a mild reassurance. Their pitch and positions altered as the angel angled them upwards. Sam held onto the box and concentrated on Remi's arms around him, imagining them steely and strong, invincible. When Remi yelled, asking how he was doing, he flinched. It was windy but he wasn't deaf.

Sam opened his eyes. The first thing he saw were Remi's eyes, peering down at him. I'm fine, don't worry about me. Shouldn't you be looking where we're going? he asked mentally, feeling it was a more efficient way to communicate. Perhaps Remi had been yelling at him because he was having trouble hearing.

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2019, 03:20:47 PM »
Sam’s voice in his head startled Remi enough that he bobbed in the air like a drunken bumblebee until he gathered himself, flapping hard to regain the elevation he’d lost. He’d had vampires pry at his mind, shoving their sticky mental fingers into its many cracks and crevices in an attempt to influence him, but he’d never had full, intelligible words appear more clearly than they could ever be spoken — especially given their current setting. Without the wind to tear it away from his ears, there was no way he could miss the peevishness in Sam’s “tone”.

Remi snorted and looked ahead, dutifully turning his attention to where he flew rather than worrying about Sam. The vampire was tense, but he remained still like he’d promised; it was all Remi could’ve asked for as he labored to take them higher and higher until lights became specks and the city spread out beneath them. His rough, upward trajectory evened out into a soar as he soaked in luminosity of millions of souls going about their night. Cars streaked down roads, buildings were brighter than any star in the sky, and it all lent a sense of uncontaminated purity that he knew only existed from their incredible vantage point.

He inhaled deeply, freely, and shifted, banking to bring them closer to a stretch of wispy clouds that would tickle and lick their skin as they passed through it on the way to the Capital Building.

“This is my favorite part,” he told Sam, the volume of his voice lower than it had been earlier, when the air had whipped past his head like it’d been powered by a tornado. “Not something you get to experience on your airplanes, I imagine,” he added, smiling.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2019, 01:28:40 AM »
Samuel regretted speaking into Remi's mind when it distracted him and caused a belly-dropping swoop that had Sam clutching the box on his abdomen a lot tighter than he should've. Once Remi began to recover altitude, Sam's heart retreated out of his throat. As they levelled out and began to soar, he loosened his grip on the protesting cardboard and relaxed in Remi's hold.

Apart from the occasional breath-catching tilt or breezy lean, their flight became enjoyable. Sam didn't want to look around so much that he unsettled Remi's hold on him but he risked little lifts and turns of his head to take in the view. The pinpoints of light far below were beautiful, the sky above an incomprehensible dome of starry darkness that his superior vision enhanced and absorbed. When he turned his head towards Remi, he was smiled at and told of his favourite part of flying but all Sam saw was the angel's mouth and his eyes, alight with joy. The sky was obviously a place he felt at home.

Sam blinked as he was hit in the face with what felt like a film of water. It was only then that he realised Remi's 'favourite part' was flying through clouds. He chuckled, noting that they were both glinting with a sheen of moisture, the light around them refracting off it, making Remi look somewhat like he was glowing. Samuel was enchanted by the angelic beauty, forgetting to look at the cloud cover between them and the city below until Remi did so in earnest. It was apparent he was looking for landmarks. After another minute or so, he seemed to have got them to a point above their destination because he gripped Sam subtly tighter and began angling them lower.

Oh, Gods. They were going to land. Sam had no idea what to expect but, judging by the take-off he'd experienced, it may not be a smooth ride. He closed his eyes and focussed on bracing for impact, remaining as statue-like in Remi's arms as possible so as not to disrupt him.