Author Topic: Mistakes Were Made  (Read 16042 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Mistakes Were Made
« on: December 18, 2019, 04:51:47 PM »
When he awoke he could sense that Cain wasn't yet back in the apartment. The two of them hadn't indulged in sex after their role-reversal play because Ben had actively avoided him. It had been easy enough to; lots of busy nights at the Academy or on the campaign trail or managing the new rollout for Lovebite, which would include chat forums.

Kerr was beside him but not sleeping. His few waking shifts had caused Kerr to hold him more tightly so that turning around in his arms to face him was a lot more difficult but also fun. He was laughing during the attempt and gave a grin of triumph once he was facing Kerr directly. His thoughts moved back to Cain and they sobered him.

"I have a confession," he breathed. The expression on his face would let Kerr know that the confession was a big one. "And I'm going to need a favour," he added almost as an afterthought.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Mistakes Were Made
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 07:09:09 PM »
Kerr chuckled as Ben awoke and he hugged him, his hold becoming unintentionally restrictive when Ben tried to turn and it didn't go smoothly. Then it became a game. Kerr didn't find Ben's victorious grin an insult because they both won when kisses could happen. As Kerr moved in, however, Ben's expression changed and he made two statements that made Kerr feel incredibly wary.

"Okaaaay," he frowned, resisting jumping to conclusions while he waited for Ben to elaborate.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 07:16:31 PM »
Ben pulled in a long breath, held it, then blew it out. A bracing exercise. The next breath he pulled in was to talk with.

"Remember how when you told me I shouldn't hold back from my instinct even if it was dark? I've, um, explored some of that with Cain. You know I've been a bit mean to him but... I've been pushing boundaries. I've tried too hard I think, I've been forcing it maybe, the dark side of me. I went about it the wrong way. Mistakes were made and I've... I treated Cain really badly and I had to backpedal when I really properly scared him almost into leaving and I had to tackle him and calm him down and we had to change positions and I told him I wanted him to dominate me but I really don't I just wanted him to not feel helpless," he took a big breath and spoke the rest of his gush in the same way, "and now he has this memory of me being an asshole and then giving him permission to do something I don't want to do with him and it would be really handy if you could maybe wipe his mind of that night?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 07:36:26 PM »
Ben's lead up breathing didn't quell Kerr's misgivings and as the story unfolded, his eyebrows lifted (particularly when Ben talked about tackling the mortal to stop him leaving). When the story was done, Kerr opened his mouth to respond but frowned and closed it while he continued to process. Calm him down? Change positions? Dominate him? 'Handy'??

Things had been unsettled with Cain for both of them over the past many nights. Kerr had known why his relationship with the mortal was strained because they'd had multiple encounters where Kerr had rebuffed Cain's attentions. He'd told the mortal it was because he wasn't in the mood to stray from Ben for now, admitting in a follow-up interrogation that he was abstaining because Ichabod's response to their open relationship had given him pause. Cain had said he understood but his mismatched eyes and his body had touted confusion and uncertainty.

Now Kerr realised belatedly that he had detected some strain between Ben and Cain, too, but he'd thought it was coming from him. How arrogant of him to assume so. Of course he should've trusted that Ben could've changed their dynamic all by himself. His lips skewed and he gnawed on his tongue stud. What was most interesting about all this was the timing and Ben's goals. Why wipe his memory?

"Do you want his memory wiped because you want to release Cain from his contract?" he queried thoughtfully.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 07:50:27 PM »
"No, I..." Ben frowned and turned his face, not burying it in the pillow but looking up towards the ceiling, regarding it. He pulled in another calming breath and released it steadily as he stared at the blank white above. He'd thought about it, of wiping Cain's mind of that night and then sending him away and not being in danger of having his private sexy playtime viewed by curious vampires scanning Cain's mind. And then he'd balked. It wasn't fair and seemed the cruellest move of all.

"No," Ben said. "He's... useful."

The lack of a better word haunted him.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »
Kerr quirked an eyebrow, understanding that Ben wanted him to go in and mess around with the mortal's mind for vanity purposes; they'd had a bad encounter and Ben wasn't satisfied with the outcome. Kerr didn't voice his thoughts because they were blunt. Perhaps unfairly so but Kerr also didn't take the task of changing Cain's memories lightly.

He reached up and brushed his fingertips across Ben's forehead, trailing them down the side of his face and then resting them on his throat, his arm across Ben's chest. "So you want to keep him around but reset the dynamic of your relationship with him," Kerr mused. "Has he said anything about that night since it happened? Given you any indication of his feelings? I'm just wondering how traumatic it might've been for him, how entrenched in his thoughts it may have become," he explained. The deeper the trauma, the more challenging the manipulation. He might not be up to the task.

He'd know for sure only once he scanned Cain's mind but he was wondering if Ben had told him everything straight up - his love was automatically more open these nights but his behaviour right now was... furtive? Perhaps it was just embarrassment, though. Kerr also pondered if there'd be something he could superimpose over Cain's bad memory to fill in the gap. How big a void would taking it out create? The thought of watching Ben make new sexual memories with the mortal gave him a thrill he was ethically opposed to but physically enticed by. He was disappointed in himself... but not enough to stop picturing it.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 08:51:47 PM »
Ben made eye-contact with Kerr after the touch ran its course. A slow blink that opened once his head was turned back on the pillow, facing his lover and sire. He didn't look happy with the explanation Kerr offered him about Cain but he didn't argue it. Kerr would feel resistance to it twanging through their blood bond but Ben's expression remained neutral. When Kerr spoke of entrenchment, Ben's lips thinned before he spoke.

"Do you think we need Charon for that after all?" he asked, his tone betraying his desire not to deal with the ancient. He suspected that Charon would have a lot to say about Ben's treatment of a trusting pet.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 09:12:11 PM »
Again, Kerr raised his eyebrows, also reluctant to get the intimidating ancient involved - but for different reasons. Kerr could do nothing about his age or his inferior mental abilities but it was a matter of pride that he be able to fulfil his lover's wishes. He was tired of being inadequate. If Cain's memory was too profoundly stuck and Ben insisted it had to be gone, Kerr would once again be forced to concede to the man that had mimicked and cuck-olded him.

Sure, he was a big fan of Charon, grateful and all the rest, but he didn't want to go running to him with every little drama. It was yet another opportunity to lose face.

"I don't know," Kerr sighed. "I really hope not," he added grimly, leaning over to kiss Ben perfunctorily before releasing him reluctantly and rolling over to sit up on the side of the bed. "But I guess I need to find out." His feet landed on the pair of jeans he'd stepped out of and left on the floor beside the bed as dawn approached. He reached over and picked up his phone, opening up a text to Cain.

Evening. Are you far away?

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 09:28:32 PM »
Cain was in a corner nook at Luminescent, the roller shutters on the windows were down and the ceiling offered a peaceful atmosphere. A bendable lamp cast a fierce circle of light on the pages of Cain's book as he read. When the shutters rolled up, slowly and deliberately, Cain dawdled, wanting to get to the end of his chapter before heading up. The chirp of his phone a few minutes later was the summons he needed to get moving.

He typed in a reply; 'brt in 2'

Cain oozed off the lounge and got to his feet with liquid grace. A message from Kerr was liberating. A multitude of scenarios played out in his head before he even left the meeting area. When he stepped out into the corridor, a good looking vampire passed him, giving him an appreciative look that had Cain puffing out his chest over as he made his way to the lifts.

He was finally in demand.

Cain arrived at the penthouse quickly and made his way to Ben and Kerr's bedroom. On the way he placed his book on a surface piece of furniture.

"You rang?" he said, knowing he shouldn't be getting his hopes up though they were up anyway. Something was up, judging by the look of their faces. Cain faltered.
Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 09:46:28 PM »
Kerr had lain back on the bed when Cain responded, deciding with Ben whether he wanted to be present while Kerr examined Cain's memory or not. When Cain appeared at the doorway, Kerr rose up onto his elbow and smiled, patting the bed between he and Ben and moving his pillow so that Cain could rest his head on it.

"C'mere," he entreated with a smile, knowing he was potentially leading Cain on - he was naked atop the sheet but flaccid, so he felt it didn't appear to be a sexual invitation - but wanting him calm. A quiet mind was an open mind and Kerr would have far less trouble manipulating it in such a state. He'd mute Cain's consciousness once he was on the bed, putting him into a state of suspended awareness that was more like sensory deprivation than true sleep but he needed Cain to comply with his invitation first.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 10:02:16 PM »
In the two minutes it took Cain to arrive in their room from his location, Ben and Kerr discussed that Ben would be staying while it happened, though he went to the trouble of sitting up in bed. Ben propped his pillow at his back and kept the sheet positioned over his lap, hiding his nudity. He didn't feel so vulnerable and guilty that he put on clothes but he did cover himself up.

There was trepidation and stress in Ben's shoulders when Cain appeared in the room. He supposed that was what made the mortal falter, so he forced himself to relax and offer a pleasant smile.

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 10:07:27 PM »
At the invitation, unexpected and welcome, Cain's heart soared. His smile stretched to the very edges of his face and he hurriedly removed the buttons of his shirt even as he approached the bed.

Standing at the foot of it and working on the very last of his buttons, Cain slipped out of his shoes and then unbuttoned and unzipped his jeans, shoving them down with his underwear and making himself naked to join the pair on the bed. There was relief and gratitude and warmth and love emanating from him even as he stepped out of his jeans. He peeled the annoying socks that refused to go before he crawled across the gigantic bed, intending on planting kisses on both of them before settling, if he would be allowed.

He had a peculiar feeling that they would be attending on him tonight by way of apology for ignoring him for so long and though it was unnecessary it certainly wasn't unwanted.
Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 05:13:46 PM »
Kerr opened his mouth to tell Cain not to undress but ended up saying nothing. If Cain was relaxed and happy, he'd be easier to subdue - and he was clearly happy, expecting to be included in their lovemaking. Kerr felt a pang of guilt as the mortal balanced from one foot to the other, pulling off his socks, but he pushed that down, too. His gaze raked Cain's body automatically and his cock twitched a response that mortified him. Taking advantage of their pet was what had caused him to be summoned in the first place; Kerr wasn't about to add insult to injury.

When Cain crawled up the bed towards him, Kerr smiled and met his eager lips, kissing him while he sat up and grasped Cain's upper arms. By the time Kerr turned him over onto his back and lowered his head down to the pillow, Cain appeared to be asleep, though his eyes were open. Kerr carefully arranged the mortal's limbs so they were stretched out, his arms by his sides, and checked that Cain's head was properly supported. He remained on his right elbow on his side, hovering over Cain. His left hand rested flat on Cain's chest. The mortal's heart rate had been skipping faster because he'd been getting aroused but his body calmed as Kerr isolated the awareness centre and flooded his brain with melatonin to subdue him.

Kerr closed his eyes and got straight to work, sifting through Cain's memories to the night in question. An eventful week had unfolded between tonight and the night Kerr had gone to see Ichabod; he quickly saw that it had been less so for Cain. The pet had been left largely to his own devices, having kept himself necessarily separate from them at the Carnival and never recovering any sort of momentum afterwards. As he sifted back through memories of what Cain had been doing - mostly reading, working out and watching television with the occasional conversation with some of The Luminary's other mortal residents - Kerr was inundated with thoughts of he and Ben. Generally they ere graphic and highly detailed sexual scenarios but there were some imagined conversations in there that disturbed Kerr, too.

When he finally found the moment where he was kissing Cain goodbye, he recognised the outfit he'd worn to Ichabod's and knew he'd found the right memory. Kerr focussed in on it, expanding it to a higher resolution so that he could watch what happened through Cain's eyes. Ostensibly, he needed to know where the incriminating memories began and ended, so that he could incise them accurately... but Kerr was also curious to know the details of what happened. Ben's description had been alarming and he wanted to understand how such a thing as tackling could happen. With a little encouragement and effort, the memory unfolded and Kerr finally understood.

Because Cain was reliving this like a dream, he responded to the replay in much the same way. As Ben taunted and lured him into a frighteningly dark hallway, Cain's heart picked actually up speed and his body twitched with fear but it was muted compared to what Kerr, immersed deep in Cain's senses, experienced. He was terrified. Cain had been genuinely distressed, hurt, pushed down, pounced on and bitten. It wasn't sexy or playful, as Kerr had imagined it had begun - it was cruel from the very start. When Cain's terror resulted in Ben tackling him and apologising profusely, Kerr was bewildered along with Cain but the Irishman had his own feelings about the scenario, too.

He was sickened, anger roiling in his gut.

Ben knew he'd done the wrong thing, he knew he'd been scaring Cain because he started babbling about not hurting him again once Cain was a sobbing mess. When Cain settled, Kerr was relieved but then Cain asked for some of Ben's blood and Ben outright lied. Cain was smart enough to see through it but that didn't erase the fact that it'd happened. Kerr began a mental tally of Ben's misdeeds in another part of his brain; torment, cruelty, lying and here came bribery and deceit as the game switched again. Cain decided he'd pursue Ben and demand respect via insisting Ben tell Kerr what had happened. Kerr couldn't help but admire Cain's resilience and intelligence - not to mention his courage in the midst of the situation.

Hearing Cain and Ben discuss Kerr's reaction and the potential consequences if Ben told him everything that had happened was surreal and infuriating. Manipulation and blackmail was added to Ben's rap sheet as he challenged Cain with, 'He already knows about that side of me. What are you hoping will happen?'. Kerr couldn't quite fathom Ben's motivation and Cain was too scared about losing out on time with Kerr and Ben that it distracted him away from wondering about it. And then Cain said something that rocked Kerr to his core. 'He... he really already knows how you want to hurt me and that my only value to you is for sex and because Kerr likes me?' Ben had said that to Cain previously? Fucking WHAT?!

It took everything in Kerr's tank of willpower not to pull out of Cain's mind just to call Ben cold and ruthless. Yes, he knew Ben was dark but Kerr had no idea he'd been unleashing it all on poor Cain throughout his trial. How was Cain even still here??

With a snort of air pushed out through his nose, Kerr delved back into Cain's memory. Things took a bizarre turn next as Ben reversed their roles and encouraged Cain to dominate him. Kerr saw a completely new and surprising side of Cain emerge through his uncertainty and desire to grow. The feelings were about power rather than sex at first, Cain getting Ben to suck his toes after the tenderness he'd craved aroused him. And Ben. In the middle of toe sucking, Ben started confessing. He talked about pain making sex sweeter - which Kerr knew about - and said something that twisted Kerr's heart (begrudgingly): 'And I've only just been allowed to, without the risk of losing him'.

Kerr's good feelings evaporated and hardened when Ben talked about the different experiences different men gave him and he touched the burn Saraekiel gave him. The sickened feeling swelled and Kerr again found himself fighting to endure Cain's memory. He hadn't anticipated it would be as horrible for him as it had the mortal and he couldn't decide if he was better off knowing all this or not.  It wasn't his business... but Ben and Cain were and... it was all just fucked. Resignedly, he persevered, watching Ben turn on Cain again when Cain dared to fight for what he wanted. Belittler added to the list. The fact that it twisted Cain into fighting back, hurting Ben just to please him, made Kerr incredibly sad.

The rest of it was just weird sexual play, which was draining for Kerr but he was glad nothing enlightening came out of it. He'd inadvertently returned during their play and he recalled hearing noises in the bathroom but he'd been so hurt by Ichabod that he hadn't paid much attention to it. Cain enjoyed their shower and left, Ben's message in his head. Kerr's heart pulsed at Ben's sweetness but it didn't quell his fury. Ben was complex, he knew this. Did he have to like all parts of that complexity or could he pick and choose? He felt like, as his sire and lover, he didn't have the right to the latter but he was desperately uncomfortable with the former, right now.

This was exactly why Saraekiel in Ben's life could never be allowed to happen.

Kerr's duty of care insisted that he follow any threads connected to this memory before he eradicated it from Cain's mind. Expecting a few thought strings to flow from it, he followed them. A sense of increasing doom overcame Kerr as he followed thought after thought, daisy-chaining off this nexus memory like an intricate snowflake. Cain had put a lot of energy into thinking about that night in the past week. A lot. He'd imagined intense and intricate scenarios where he dominated Ben, elaborate setups that involved Kerr walking in and discovering them sometimes, joining in or dominating them both as Cain's whimsy saw fit to create. There were so many and they occurred at random times over multiple days, their spontaneous nature making them impossible to predict and extremely difficult for Kerr to locate. He couldn't be sure that he'd get them all.

If he left those string thoughts in Cain's mind - just a few of them - attached to nothing, it could damage him. Kerr wasn't sure he was capable of getting all of them and he couldn't predict what the effect would be because the memory Ben wanted gone had been profound. It had altered Cain's essential outlook towards Ben but also about his life. Cain had become empowered that night in subtle, beautiful ways that had altered his intellectual makeup. If Kerr took the core memory away, Cain's mind would try to operate with his new outlook but without the inciting incident to power it. He might become confused, break down, revert... or nothing could happen. Kerr didn't have enough experience to predict it.

He pulled out of Cain's mind, leaving everything intact and the mortal sleeping. He swallowed as he observed his face in such peaceful repose, steeling himself to look up at Ben, whom he could feel watching him for a verdict. Kerr inhaled, looked up and met Ben's gaze with a riot of emotions in his eyes. "You... motherfucking asshole," he said, hearing the weight of his feelings in his thick voice, feeling the prick of tears behind his eyes. He sat up swiftly, pressing the heels of his hands to his eyeballs and then dropped them as he strode out of the bedroom. He needed a break and he needed to not be looking at Ben in that moment so he strode out to the living area and stood at the glass wall to glower at the skyline instead, arms folded across his chest and tongue stud getting a solid workout between his teeth.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 05:37:26 PM »
Ben figured as Kerr unwound the memory from Cain that he would see it. Trepidation and Anxiety jostled each other for position inside of him as he waited for Kerr to be finished and announce it was done. Instead, he looked at Ben with an expression that frightened him, and delivered judgment in one swift blow before leaving the room.

Ben had expected something but that hadn't been it. Despair took the baton from Trepidation and ran with it, passing Anxiety without missing a beat, though Anxiety was clearly in the race and still running. He could feel it thrumming inside of him, though muted now beneath the pressure of misery weighing him down.

He would pay for this for months. Maybe years. Maybe for eternity. He might never be looked at the same again. Thing was, even though he'd pushed Cain hard, forced his darkness, squeezed out the drama in an artificial way... he still felt like there was more. A deeper well. A darker pit. Restraint was to be the golden thread that bound him, then. Because worse than what he was wouldn't be able to keep Kerr. He knew it. He could feel it.

He stared at Cain for a long moment, expecting him to wake up, but he didn't. He was still under Kerr's spell. It confused him, why he wasn't coming around. Ben got out of bed and pulled on underwear before going out to see Kerr. He found him staring out the window but kept himself a good five metres away.

"Is it done?" he asked.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2019, 05:53:08 PM »
Kerr didn't turn but he could see Ben's reflection in the glass, wavy and picked out by the aquarium's light. He watched it as he spoke, trying to decide how to manage his own feelings. Talking about Cain was easier. His voice was surprisingly composed and matter of fact as he outlined his verdict.

"No. I don't think I can do it properly. What you did changed him. Fundamentally. You empowered him and shifted his outlook about himself as well as us and he's been thinking about it all a lot since. We've left him alone and, frankly, it's all he's had to do. Planning, daydreaming, wishing. There's a tonne of thoughts connected to that night that I don't think I'm skilled enough to wrangle and I don't know how it'll affect his mind if I don't get them all. You'll need to ask Charon to do it. Or learn to live with it."