Author Topic: A Brave Face  (Read 10648 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: A Brave Face
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 07:45:30 PM »
Kerr certainly was surprised and his double take at Ben showed it. A lot of obvious questions popped through his head and he filtered them until he got to the succinct one.

"Why did you bring Cain here?" he asked cautiously, preceding Ben out of the office when he got close and stepping between his suitcases when he got around the corner. He collected them efficiently by their handles to roll them with him as he walked alongside Ben.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2019, 07:55:42 PM »
With a smirk Ben replied: "I was going to release him into the wild but you're not supposed to do that with your pets."

He sobered after his joke, throwing a quick look at Kerr before picking up his bag and gesturing for Kerr to leave his office first. Ben turned out the light and closed and locked it after himself before they moved down the wide corridor towards the student area.

"I didn't want to leave him behind after you left," Ben said, not pulling the punch of his reasoning. Leaving Cain at the apartment would feel like they'd both abandoned him. It was another reason why he hadn't wanted to make Cain go. He'd been dealt a shit hand and now Ben was determined to make it up to him.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2019, 08:35:07 PM »
Kerr raised his eyebrows at Ben's joke, not showing any signs of mirth beyond blinking rapidly while he processed that Ben was, indeed, making light of the situation. He couldn't decide if it was a good sign or not because it was about Cain, who hadn't devastated Ben in the last forty-eight hours as Kerr had. Of course he'd be able to joke about him.

He didn't have anything to say about Ben not wanting to leave Cain at home after Kerr had left. The reasoning was rooted in kindness, which Kerr took as positive. It stalled the conversation for him as his mind travelled to imagining Cain's reaction to seeing him again so soon. Would he hold a grudge, too? Kerr wouldn't blame him. By the same token, he would also apologise to Cain for his errant decision but he refused to wallow in self pity about the whole thing.

The mistake was made and he'd realised his error pretty damn quickly. It hadn't been easy approaching Ben but it could've been worse. He'd been permitted back into the apartment, even if it wasn't quite where he'd hoped to be. That was fine, too. Ben could keep him at the desired distance as long as he liked. He was confident he could handle it. Thoughts of punishing Ben after their last big fight and his interlude with Saraekiel rose unbidden and Kerr considered them before pushing them away. He couldn't see himself acting that way. Ben would punish him by being cold and that would do.

It was all a matter of trust. He'd broken Ben's in him by abandoning him and now that he understood, he was pretty sure that Ben wasn't going to see past that abandonment to any underlying causes for a very long time. Kerr wouldn't appreciate it if the digs about him leaving kept coming but he had a thick skin. He'd been taunted by Sawyl and the twins, he could withstand Ben's efforts... he hoped. The problem was that he loved Ben so much more than his previous family - Hell, more than anyone in his life - and even if his efforts to wound were lesser, their effect was far more potent.

The sounds of his suitcase wheels muttering across the different surfaces of the Academy's halls, stairwells and pathways was the only sound that accompanied their trek from the offices to the Common Room. There was so much to say but no motivation to say it from either of them, it seemed. Kerr didn't mind. He was just happy to feel right again, with Ben at his side and their blood bond more than just a faint blip in the distant darkness. Oddly, he'd got a lot closer to Ichabod on his journey but that had only made him feel worse. He didn't need the reminder that he'd let Ichabod down first. His fledge must have wondered what the fuck he was doing, though. He probably put it down to a business trip or something.

"I'll wait outside," Kerr nominated when they reached the Common Room, aware that Cain wasn't alone in there. If there was going to be some emotional scene between he and Cain, he'd prefer it to happen in a more anonymous space where no-one had to witness anything private. Concerns about the airing of their private business had been what started this whole business in the first place. There was no need to add fuel to that fire.

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2019, 09:25:41 AM »
Cain was seated across the room on an arm chair that faced the doorway at such an angle that he could see a bit of the corridor to the left. The grief in his heart had kept him from participating in all the games with the other folks but he'd still had a good enough time with them that he considered them friends. One of them had revealed he was an imp and at the urging of his next door dorm-mate had taken his shirt off to show Cain how his wings folded really close to his back. Cain had been fascinated by the reveal and a little lusty at the now half-naked man standing in the room. His lust for the imp had him mentally comparing it to Ben (the blond vampire and this imp had similar physiques) and then of course Kerr swam into his thoughts, losing his interest in the small group as they crowded the imp.

He looked to the doorway just as Ben got there. Beside him and not coming to the doorway proper was someone else, someone he couldn't see beyond the left side of his body because the wall hid the rest, but he was tall and very familiar. Cain's heart thudded in his chest and he leapt to his feet, the people in the common room forgotten as he sprinted across the room, a whimper of hope and need sounding in his throat. He didn't think about how it would look to the others, that they would see him running to Ben because that was who had appeared in the doorway, he could only think of Kerr who he was sure was off to one side. The luggage handle in his hand had been the biggest giveaway.

He didn't end up barrelling into Ben, he must've moved out of the way. Cain entered the corridor and stared wild-eyed at Kerr for less than a second but it felt like it hung in a frozen moment. Then he threw himself at Kerr, wrapping his arms around his neck and landing bodily chest to chest against Kerr's familiar hardness. It was his smell, his shape, and it was so good that Kerr was merciful and had forgiven Ben so quickly. He hoped he'd been missed too, but he knew better. It was enough that he didn't have to suffer Kerr's absence.

"Welcome back," he breathed, planting a kiss on Kerr's jaw.
Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2019, 05:39:12 PM »
Kerr could detect Cain's scent above all the others in the room, its familiarity rising above the mingled aroma of the unknown. Before he knew it, it was enveloping him, warm arms were tight about his neck and forgiving lips were upon his flesh. Kerr's eyes fell closed and he hugged Cain back, bowing his face to rest his forehead on Cain's shoulder.

"I'm sorry," Kerr whispered back. "I'm sorry to have upset you. It was a mistake to go but... I'm back now," he finished lamely, lifting his head and looking past Cain towards Ben. "I shouldn't have gone." He gave Cain one last squeeze and then gripped the mortal's shoulders in order to move them apart, smiling into Cain's mismatched blue eyes. "Let's go home." His hands moved back to the handles of his suitcases and he waited for Ben to lead the way.

It felt appropriate that he should follow after them, in a position of humility. The tale of how he'd be sleeping in the spare room could wait until they got to the apartment.