Author Topic: Lost In Translation  (Read 15593 times)

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Re: Lost In Translation
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2020, 02:53:04 AM »
Initially, the appearance of Sam’s hand on his face triggered a flurry of blinks, but over the course of several heartbeats, Remi melted into the touch. Another heartbeat and he’d shifted slightly to press a kiss to the heel of the vampire’s palm, performing an act that he’d wanted to since the night of the carnival. He’d recognized then how absurd it was that he’d wanted to put his lips anywhere near a man — a vampire — he’d just met. Two nights later, it shouldn’t have seemed any less absurd, but enough time had passed that he'd discovered being close to Sam felt a lot like flying — enough so that he wanted to ignore the ants crawling between his shoulder blades so he could remain there with him.

The ants had other ideas, though.

Remi clenched his jaw and rolled his shoulders as the sensation of crawling increased, putting an end to all thoughts of staying at the academy any longer than he had to. Once the need to fly struck him, he knew he wouldn’t be able to shake his discomfort until he summoned his wings and actually took to the sky.

"I wanted to stay," he said, "but yeah, I could use a break." He reached up to gather Sam’s hand in his, pulling it away from his face and down to the same level as their other joined hands. He cocked his head, a smile tugging at one corner of his mouth. "Hang on. You said ‘we don’t have to do more’. Does that mean you’re free to come with me?"

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2020, 03:34:39 AM »
Sam chuckled, tilting his head towards the worker outside the walls of his office.

"See that fellow out there? That's Garan. He's paid to work at the library like I am. I asked him to come in tonight because I wasn't sure how things would go with you. I was ready - at the very least - to have to relocate into the courtyard with my laptop because you couldn't cope with being inside. If it'd just been me here, I wouldn't have been able to concentrate on the translating as well as help people in the library, so I brought in backup."

He smiled, feeling like he was expanding unnecessarily. "My point is: I'm free to come with you, if you want my company," he nodded, raising his eyebrows. He wasn't sure whether Remi had plans to just walk outside for air, go flying or finish up for the night and return to his garden. There was still a lot of night left ahead of them... and now it seemed filled with possibilities, too.

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2020, 03:27:35 PM »
Remi shook his head, his admiration of Sam’s foresight making his eyes bright. Pride demanded that he deny the possibility that he might’ve panicked in Sam’s office and would’ve needed to escape outside, but they’d both been witness to what’d happened to him in that elevator. Until he grew used to spaces with walls and roofs and no clear access to the sky, it was prudent to anticipate that he’d struggle and plan accordingly.

Just like it'd be prudent to accept Sam's offer before he figured out something else to do with his time.

Remi grinned as he tugged Sam towards the door. "Yes, I do. Come fly with me."

((Continued in Forbidden Fruit))