Author Topic: Special Invitations  (Read 4609 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Special Invitations
« on: February 11, 2020, 05:37:19 AM »
Open, but short in theme. Riley is an NPC.

A boy wearing goth particulate pants, a black trench coat and Rolling Stones band shirt entered the Luminary building holding two envelopes. He had a dangly earring with a dice on the end, oversize black frame glasses with no lenses, and sandy blonde hair. He looked a tad like if Ben Samson went hipster-goth, although Riley was physically a smidgen older. The page boy approached the front desk, and politely introduced himself.

"Hello, I have messages for Mr. Kerr Galvin, and the director of the ward from Pri-, I mean District Leader McCloud. I don't have an appointment, but can wait. My name's Riley."

The messenger stuck out his hand to slap some skin, although he assumed this fancy place was more of handshake venue. He already longed for the Rabbit.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Special Invitations
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 03:59:48 PM »
Gregory looked disapprovingly down his nose at the extended hand and moved to the phone with a moue of distaste. He picked it up and dialled a number, listening to it ring and wishing that the envelopes could just be left with the front desk to be delivered when convenient. The fact that the messenger had said 'I'll wait' indicated personal delivery was necessary. Pretentious.

The call wasn't picked up - which didn't particularly surprise Gregory, as he'd called Kerr's office first and he didn't expect he'd be there yet, after Ben's defeat - so he dialled the penthouse instead. Cain answered, identifying himself clearly and then going to collect Kerr when Gregory requested him.

"Kerr speaking," he said.

"Sorry to bother you, Kerr but I have a... messenger," he said thoughtfully, his gaze roving over the lad reflexively, "named Riley here with a personal missive for you from our newly elected District Leader."

"And they can't just give it to you?"

Gregory cleared his throat delicately. "Apparently not. He has one for Captain Hadar as well."

There was silence for a moment and the sound of the handset Kerr was holding being moved around quite a lot. It settled down and then Kerr was speaking again. "Fine. Send them to the second floor and I'll meet them there to collect mine," Kerr said wearily. "Thanks Gregory."

Gregory hung up the phone and walked towards Riley, smiling at him now. "If you go up those stairs one level, you'll find the City Ward offices. Captain Hadar is there, she's already passed by me tonight. Kerr Galvin will meet you there to collect his envelope," Gregory instructed efficiently, indicating the wide marble staircase situated near the end of the reception desk, before the elevators. It was clearly signed 'City Ward' with an upward pointing arrow.

With a nod, he moved to a computer to log the visitor in as 'Riley'.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 04:40:16 PM »
Riley noticed his hand wasn't taken, and brushed it through his curly locks as he waited for the front desk guy to get the right people. The snide look reinforced what Riley had already thought about Ben and his people. He was happy Jake hadn't asked him to deliver an envelope to that guy. Jake had told him to be super polite, and nice, and so when Gregory directed Riley upstairs, he smiled widely and said, "thanks bro. Have a good night."

He moved lazily up the stairs, taking in the former Oligarchy chambers. Riley hadn't been in town then, but the Oligarchy didn't sound like his thing. Jake was way better than some council of suits. The Ward he didn't know what to think. Some of the officers were cool, and he'd even seen a few chilling at the White Rabbit, but Jake had said they were Ben people now. It was all really confusing, and Riley scratched his head as he made his way towards the Ward's offices. Riley saw the directory, but decided to wait near the elevator since Kerr was coming down. Riley pulled out his phone and got ready to take a video. Jake's instructions had been super clear, and Jake had gotten really mad after Riley didn't impress that scary Charon guy, so he was resolved to do this one right. 

The young vampire tapped his foot impatiently as he waited, trying to avoid anyone from the Ward asking him if needed help.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 10:25:21 PM »
Kerr lifted his gaze as the elevator doors opened, having spent the ride down from the penthouse staring at his bare toes. He hadn't bothered putting on shoes because his old jeans were ratty enough to partially cover his feet and he wasn't in much of a state of mind to care about how he was presented to a messenger. He'd taken the time to pull on a respectable black and grey Under armour T-shirt to hide (barely) his muscular torso and ruffled his hair for absolutely no change whatsoever, though.

Since the penthouse elevator was placed differently to all the rest, Kerr stepped out into an empty hall. When he turned the corner, heading towards the Ward offices, he was surprised to see a youthful-looking man swivel to face him from in front of the other lift doors. With a raised phone, like he was filming him? Kerr scowled, pressing his fists defensively into his front pockets, staring at the young vampire as he came to a stop before him. "You Riley?" he asked, glancing frequently at the phone. He did, indeed, have envelopes in his other hand, so it had to be, he figured.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 06:46:02 AM »
"Ummmmm yeah," Riley answered, looking at the hunk who'd approached him. He handed over the first envelope to Kerr. He was told to film Kerr's reaction, so until the older vampire opened the envelope, he kept his phone just in his hand. He remembered something else Jake had told him.

"I'm supposed to wait for an answer on whether or not you're coming," he said softly. "Sorry man. Bosses orders."

He did his best not to look Kerr in the eye. There was nothing he could do to stop Kerr from reading the letter's contents upstairs, but he'd be dammed if he'd make it easier for him. Either way, the letter read the following:

Dearest Kerr,

I just wanted to write to thank you for the wonderful congratulations call you placed after my win. It meant so much to know even though we were on opposite teams you were a good enough sport to be there for me. Furthermore, our time together recently taught me how much love I have to give a relationship, and how not to let men use me as a distraction from their own, failing, unhealthy, manipulative relationships. In that same spirit, let me return the friendship you've given me with some of my very own. You and

The name Ben Samson was written, but crossed out. Written in Jake's handwriting above Ben's crossed out name was Ichabod Conners. That name was crossed out too.

...can make it to my inauguration party, which will take place on Friday next at Echelon. Please RSVP yourself, and... Here both names were written and crossed out again. ....with my man, Riley.

Love,
Jake <3

P.S. How many more people does Ben need to alienate from you?
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 09:34:44 PM »
Kerr took the envelope but didn't open it immediately. Instead, he glowered at Riley as he outlined the conditions of his delivery. Again, Kerr's gaze was drawn to the phone and even though the other vampire didn't say it, it was implied he'd be filming his response. With a grim sigh, Kerr tore open the envelope and began reading.

At first, he simply frowned, having to read the first two sentences twice to properly understand the tone in which this letter had been sent. Apparently, bitter was a tone. The third sentence had Kerr blinking and his eyes widening in disbelief, a hurt expression passing over his countenance. The crossed out names just felt like overkill and the final p.s. brought back his frown of consternation. He folded the invitation up and carefully placed it back into its envelope, holding it out to Riley.

"Take this and burn it," he instructed quietly, wanting the petty missive gone from the building so that there was absolutely no chance Ben would ever read it. Disastrous things would happen if he ever found out about this and there was no way Kerr was going to do that to Ben. Kerr opened his mouth to say more but then noticed the phone pointed his way. Instead of addressing Riley, he looked into the camera on the device and spoke to it.

"I won't be coming, Jake," he told the lens sternly, his expression shifting into a wary frown. "And I believed you were better than this." His gaze slid to Riley to acknowledge him with a little nod before he spun on his heel and walked away, heading for the lift to take him back upstairs.