Author Topic: Pilgrimage  (Read 12116 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Pilgrimage
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 12:24:22 AM »
Samuel's grin was one part relief that Remi was talking to him again, three parts happiness just because Remi cared enough to offer to help him out. It felt like an act of contrition and although that wasn't necessary, Sam appreciated the gesture. His heartfelt speech had been his focus far more than his body's predicament had been and, looking down now he was at least relieved to see that he'd softened. Remi's warm touch would change that, in all likelihood, but there was no way he'd ever refuse having his angel's hands on him. Especially not after the way Remi had seemed so rejected.

"I wouldn't say no to a little help," Sam encouraged with a smile he hoped looked as sweet as it felt on his lips. He could've done it himself with one hand but he wanted Remi to see that he wanted him, that he needed and valued his help. The way his flagging penis firmed up when Remi reached over to do as he said - a no-nonsense tuck that was gentle but determined and all business - certainly showed that Sam was instantly responsive to his lover's touch, hopefully reassuring him that it truly had been safety concerns that convinced him to stop Remi, not lack of desire. Never that.

When his clothing was righted and he'd wiggled his way back to a comfortable position with a subtle, final tug, Sam grinned over at his partner. He managed to snag one of his hands and bring it to his lips for a kiss, his eyes smiling over the top of it as he held the large, warm appendage in his own. "Thank you," he said softly as he lowered their hands to his own thigh. "You know, you're not like anyone I've ever been with before," he said conversationally, thinking about the angel as he watched the road ahead of then get eaten up by their car, his head rocking slightly on the headrest behind him. He squeezed Remi's hand, hoping to lure him into asking what he liked so much about him; it would give him an opportunity to boost Remi's ego a little. "I love being with you."

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 04:46:29 AM »
All Sam’s efforts to ensure Remi didn’t feel unwanted had a marked effect on the angel. He relaxed muscle by muscle, from the top of his head down to his toes, so that each breath came easier than the last, and his smile grew in strength until it was as big and toothy as Sam’s.

Since Charon had cured him of his claustrophobia, he’d assumed his days of needing Sam to hold him up and guide him through a maze of overwhelming emotions and back to himself were over, but that wasn’t the case. His shame hadn’t crippled him the same way his fear of tight spaces had, but Sam had sensed his distress and reached out to him.

And to think, Vretil had convinced him vampires were unfeeling monsters incapable of anything beyond searching out their next meal. Nothing was further from the truth — at least in his vampire’s case. Sam didn’t want to be with him because he was a potential food source, he loved being with him because… He waited for Sam to finish his thought, tipping his head to the side like a robin listening for a worm wriggling in the dirt.

When the silence had stretched long enough, he prompted Sam to continue with a gentle squeeze of his hand and a question: “Why’s that?”

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 11:55:56 PM »
Samuel grinned, lifting his head off the headrest, glad his bait had been taken. He glanced at Remi as much and as lingeringly as possible, making it seem like he was thinking his answer up on the spot but he wasn't. It was something he thought about fairly often because to think of Remi was to be filled with awe and pride.

"Well, let's see," he mused playfully, lifting a finger to tap his chin once before it returned to the steering wheel. "You're kind and definitely the most generous person I've ever met. You always think of others before you; you're selfless and it amazes me how that's your default mindset. You're curious and bold and stubborn - maybe that bit's not so new, since I tend to go for people who enjoy being in charge," Sam admitted with a wry chuckle.

"But you balance it out with this... I guess it's a zest for life? You... the way you look at everything, it's like you're seeing it all for the first time and you can't wait to figure it out. You have a sense of wonder about you. Usually, the dominance comes with a level of cynicism you just don't have," Sam explained, thinking of Vomas. The beautiful Irishman had twisted and darkened in so many ways that it had often been difficult for him to see his way clear to following his heart with Sam. For a while there, it'd been magnificent but then that darkness had swallowed them and destroyed their relationship.

Sam couldn't ever see anything of that sort happening with Remi. He was too sunshiney. "That's not to say you're anybody's fool because you're not. You're innocent and maybe a little naive but you're smart. You eat up information like people eat meals. You're one of the few people I've met whose thirst for knowledge is as insatiable as mine and that, god that turns me on." Sam's voice dropped an octave and became raw as he shivered for effect. His smile became more of a smirk as he continued.

"Of course you're sexy, too. Confidently. Like, you know how people look at you, how your looks affect them but you don't take advantage of it or let it go to your head. You're humble. And restrained, considering how jaws drop when you walk by - and not even because your wings are out. You just have an aura about you, of power and strength that draws people like moths to a flame. Even powerful people like Jake McCloud can't resist you but you're not prideful about it."

Shaking his head and giving a little shrug that woefully undersold the amount of inspiration and awe felt for his partner, Sam beamed at Remi. "What can I say? You're just awesome!"

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2020, 06:11:41 PM »
“Oh? Is that all?” Remi said through a grin. “I didn’t hear anything about my gardening skills, which aren’t anything to scoff about, you know, since I can’t use my healing magic on plants. I’ve tended it by hand. You’ve seen how it’s thriving now.” He tapped his fingers on the armrest, sliding his elbow and arm back when he came too close to the buttons he’d been warned away from. “But you should’ve seen what it looked like before I moved in.”

Sam might not have seen the garden when it’d been at its worst, but Remi had told him about how horrified he’d been when he’d first flown over and found that all the trees and plants and flowers were dead or close to it. And he’d also told him that it was why he wanted to stay there, aside from it being as close to the sky as he could be without flying. If he left, everything would wither, turn brown, and die. He was as responsible for those plants’ wellbeing as he was for everyone else who lived in the city.

“That was a joke, by the way,” he said laughingly, in case it hadn’t been clear. “You’ve given me plenty of compliments already.” He fell silent briefly and looked sidelong at Sam, the lines of his face settling into something more serious. “I’m not sure I deserve all of them, though. Like… Putting everyone else first. It’s easy when you’re not with me, but there’s my problem. I want to be with you every second I can and I don’t want to leave.”

The tapping continued, an irregular beat that refused to take on any semblance of a pattern.

“Restraint isn’t easy, either. Being so close and not being able to touch you the way I want? It makes me wish I still had my claustrophobia so I had something else to focus on.” 

Which led him to his next question, asked in the manner of a child finished with a trip before it’d even got started. “When do we get to stop for the night, anyway?”

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2020, 01:34:02 AM »
If Samuel had tried to downplay the way his heart fluttered at Remi's confession (that he wanted to be with him every second he could), he'd have done a disservice to his feelings and their relationship. He flushed again, the warmth of the blood he'd drunk not all that long ago pooling once more in his cheeks for no good purpose beyond making him feel giddy and youthful.

He wanted to be with Remi more often than he should - considering he had a job and responsibilities to many creatures beyond just the one his heart wanted to beat for - and on any other night he'd have felt swamped by guilt for that. Not tonight, though. It was the first night of their mini vacation and he had permission for Remi to be his sole focus for the next few nights. It was freeing.

"Hey now," he crooned a chastisement when Remi went on to wish for his claustrophobia back. Having witnessed Charon's exorcism of Remi's tight-space demons, he wouldn't wish such a crippling condition on his worst enemy, let alone someone he cared deeply about. "There's no need for that," he drawled, grinning over at Remi as he grabbed Remi's hand and wound his own around it again. It wasn't the one incessantly tapping but he hoped his touch would soothe anyway. He didn't mind it too much because the agitation was due to Remi's frustration that they couldn't access each other freely. How could he complain when he agreed? He kissed Remi's knuckles and dropped their hands onto his thigh again.

"My goal was to drive most of the night but I anticipated there'd be breaks. You'll want food and bathroom breaks and we'll need to stretch. Or maybe just cuddle," he conceded, winking at Remi as he gave his fingers a squeeze. "You can tell me when you want to stop, as often as you want but you should know that I've booked us into a twenty-four hour hotel - a luxury one, with blockout curtains that caters for vampires just like the Luminary - in a city that's seven hours' drive away. Now, we left at six, so if we drove without breaks, we'd get there around one in the morning. That'd give us quite a few hours together before sunup."

Sam couldn't help the way one of his eyebrows wiggled suggestively, matching his smirk that also alluded to the things they could get up to with hours of darkness to spare. If Remi could show restraint.

"If you need breaks, however, that's fine. We just have to arrive before the sun does so if you need to stretch or get food or whatever, we don't have to be regimented with it. We can have fun along the way, if you prefer." The smirk was back. "You tell me what you want, this is your trip, too. We have only a few hours of driving to do tomorrow night, we'll spend most of it in an Air B'n'B house in the town next to Gene's mama's. It's only tonight that we're pressed for time. Just tonight," he assured softly, shooting Remi a heartfelt look of assurance he wasn't sure he believed himself.

In the grand scheme of things, one night of restraint sounded like nothing. They were creatures planning to be together for centuries, if not millennia, what was one night? But Samuel felt it even as he tried to make it sound inconsequential and surmountable.

One night was more than they'd been apart in weeks and even though they were sitting right beside each other, it was more distance than they'd become accustomed to. His angel needed affection and Remi's love language was touch; he was happiest when he was watching flowers, plants or Sam bloom before (or beneath) him. He'd already roused Sam's craving for him with his hands and it was too easy to imagine the misery that could come from Remi having to continually hold himself back. Sam didn't want to inflict that on him; he'd stop as often as Remi needed. It would all balance out, he was sure.