Author Topic: A thief\'s horse  (Read 16412 times)

MissusHow

Re: A thief\'s horse
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2006, 05:18:05 AM »
"The top will be fine. The horses are obviously better quality, not to insult the horses down below, but it\'s obvious to even my unpracticed eye. The fee is fair," she continued, making quick calculations, and planning to step up her thieves a notch, "But I believe I heard something about paperwork." she said lightly, and began to choose her words more carefully. How was she to say that putting little squiggles down on paper was meaningless to her, that she payed scribes off the street to write down her notes to her thieves...

"My handwriting is quite...illegible, I\'m afraid." she picked out, "I\'m the only one who has ever been able to read it...if I could take the papers to a palace scribe, it would comfort me greatly that you would know where I was located and any other such information..." she trailed off, at loss of how to continue. Mentaly she promised herself she would take a crash course right after this whole business was finished.

"If you wish, you could hire your own scribe and I could dictate right in front of you so you do not question my..." she paused and looked up, screwing her face into its most innocent possible, "honesty." she finished, and felt quite pleased. If he didn\'t believe her, she could scribble on the paper, and claim that it was her handwriting, and if he did want it...well she was sure he wouldn\'t want to miss out on hearing her directions out loud...

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2006, 01:22:24 PM »
He grinned as she confirmed his suspicion that she would understand the worth of her new purchase.  The grin became more forced as she talked about having illegible handwriting.  A noble having handwriting that nobody but she could read?  It didn\'t seem plausible to him, though he had to allow that it could hapen.  He was simply of the opinion that every tutor he\'d ever met held a cane in one hand and a waspish remark upon their tongue, should work of an inferior quality ever be presented to them.  It didn\'t quite seem the done thing to allow a pupil of questionable penmanship to pass through their ranks, but it was not his place to argue.

"No, no, a palace scribe is perfectly acceptable," he insisted, getting to his feet and going over to a locked box that sat atop his bookcase.  He took the key from his pocket - always carrying it on his person was one form of security he regularly indulged in - and unlocked it, lifting the lid and withdrawing an ornate and official-looking document from the stack of papers within.  As she would read for herself, the agreement asked for all personal details such as full name, date of birth and place of residence, the name of the horse in question and the details of the stabling request.  He picked up a pen, ink and blotting paper and carried it back to the table with him.

"I\'ll just fill out the details of the stabling costs for you now, you can have the rest done at your own leisure.  As long as I see you sign the bottom, that\'s all that matters - we\'ll do that when you\'ve returned with the gold and I have the deed of ownership for you to sign as well.  I\'m sure it won\'t matter that no one can read your signature - you wouldn\'t be the first," he said jovially, making short work of writing upon the bottom half of the document.  It occurred to him that he could simply fill out the top half of the form for her, but he supposed that if she wanted that, she\'d ask.

"Have you any idea what you\'re going to call her yet?  There\'s a line here for the horse\'s full name to be recorded, though it often happens that that doesn\'t get filled out for a while."

MissusHow

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2006, 04:12:31 PM »
A name. Who knew a name was so complicated to choose...names of grandeur like soulthunder rang in her mind, and other silly names worthy of a little girl getting a pony like sweety pie did as well. No, she would need a name that was quick on its feet and nothing that would attract the eyes of others...somebody had once told her somethign that meant...trickster. "Loki, if you will. It\'s short, and sweet...has a nice ring to it."

"Will you be giving that paperwork to me right now, or later?" she asked, and then paused, eyeing him strangely, "Master Gallagher, if you\'re smile became any larger I wouldn\'t be surprised if your face fell off." she told him in her most seriouse voice. In truth she felt compelled to grinn herself, apparently Gallagher found her quite amusing. Well that didn\'t hurt. As long as he didn\'t become /too/ interested in her wearabouts, she didn\'t mind it at all.

After a struggle she did grin, arching her eyebrow at him at the same time.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2006, 05:51:58 PM »
He looked appropriately contrite - though a light of curiosity still danced in his eyes - as his smile changed into a more humble expression.  "I\'ll be giving you the paperwork now - Loki, you say?" he murmured as he wrote the name she\'d nominated for her filly on the paper, then finished filling out the horse\'s physical description.

He blew on the document once he was done, looking it over with a satisfied smile, then held it towards her.  "There you go, milady - your stabling agreement.  Now, I shall go and procure you a Deed of Ownership.  Meet you back here in about an hour\'s time?" he asked congenially, rising to his feet.

MissusHow

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2006, 02:37:26 PM »
"Indeed." she told him merrily. "And I\'ll fill this form out as soon as possible?" she questioned one last time, eyeing the information on it. So many questions...oh yes. Too many. "It\'s quite...thurough." she murmured, still scanning the document, and half glancing at his expression.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2006, 04:44:19 PM »
"Yes," he confirmed.  "If it takes you longer than an hour to hunt down a scribe right now - or even if it can\'t happen until tomorrow - don\'t worry too much.  I live here, after all, so I\'ll have the deed - and Loki, of course - waiting here for whenever you turn up with the agreement and your money," he grinned and dropped her a wink.

He didn\'t mean to be rude exactly but... he figured a lady wouldn\'t have too much trouble finding someone close to her that would be willing to take five minutes out of their busy life and write in her personal details on one slip of paper, no matter the time of day.  Unless she wasn\'t really the lady she purported to be.  He was also not prepared to allow her near the stables if she didn\'t come bearing a completed agreement form and the required amount of money when next they met (and he honestly didn\'t care when that would be); but he refrained from stating that so bluntly.  The implication was obvious, in his opinion.

MissusHow

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2006, 06:54:07 AM »
The hour was up, and Ara was back, with papers in hand, and money in the other, and looking quite satisfied with herself. She had gone back to the den earlier, and explained to her thieves as best she could that they\'d have to step up thieving from the nobles, because they had bought a royal beast. She had told them she was eating with them, which was met by general roars (of fear and anguish, or of excitement and exhilaration). When she told them what she had bought, however, the room went quiet, and their eyes shone like toddlers looking upon a jar of candy. A few fingers had twitched, and Ara explained the system to them.

After that she had gone for a scribe. The scribe was well known to her, and he knew how to keep his mouth shut. The many notes and messages he had written for her remained in the back of his mind, for him to ponder on on rainy days. She used the name "Elain Green", and used the adress of her friend Harold the merchant. He was from the next city over, but he had a home here, and it was full of merchant things. Let them believe she was a rich merchant, it would do no harm to Harold, who had allready been notified that he was now \'George Green\', and that he had decided to treat his daughter whom he called Ella with a present for her birthday. Other information was on there in a vaguely, her date of birth was a year, with the inclusion that she didn\'t want to seem old scrawled on the side. The terms she thought over carefully, including that she would come and go at strange hours, and send men over to pick the horse up, but they would carry her seal, the seal was drawn on the side, it was an egyptian eye with a dagger coming through the center.

Removing most of her money from her particular coffer had wrenched her heart, but it was done, and now she was here and waiting for Master Gallagher, who would come to kindly open the door she hoped. She hadn\'t bothered testing it because she knew he would take offence. Silly sensitive thing to think (she thought).

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2006, 10:59:13 AM »
Some ten minutes after she arrived, he hurried up behind her, looking mildly flustered and sporting a frown.  “I’m terribly sorry,” he apologised profusely, withdrawing a key from his pocket and unlocking the door to his quarters.  “Lady Arbon was in residence – as I’d predicted – and it seemed that she hadn’t had a visitor in days.  She wasn’t overly interested in the filly’s sale,” he continued as he opened the door and gestured for her to enter, then walked in and closed the door behind her.  He then hastened to hold out a chair for her at the table, so that she would sit, “but she had a great many tales of her illnesses that she wished to divulge.”

At last, he sat and gave a great sigh, followed by a grin and a chuckle, his head shaking his consternation.  “I appreciate a lady’s bedroom tales as much as the next man, but when the running theme is bed sores and massaged bunions, well… I’m afraid my interest wanes,” he imparted with a wink, giving a hint to the cheekier side that stayed buried within him, in polite company.  He felt he\'d spent enough time with Lady Elle to be a little familiar with her by now - and she seemed able to take a joke and a tease.  He began untying the leather binding around his document wallet and gave her a charming smile.  "How did you fare with your scribe and gold gathering mission?"

MissusHow

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2006, 12:34:36 PM »
Ara chuckled appreciatively, "I\'ll keep in mind if I\'m ever sick not to speak a word of it to you, lest you fall over from boredom. I fared well getting everything I needed, and the tack for Loki will be arriving next week, though I\'ll tell you I had to look under all my couch cushions to scrounge up the price asked." she told him, her eyes sparkling with mirth. Still she brought up the purce full of gold pieces , and clunked them on the table heavily with a small twinge of regret from her greedier self. Her hand went to her hidden pouches and as she pulled out the shief of papers one of her daggers clunked out. Hastily she picked it up, as her mind shrunk in horror. It was /the/ dagger. She hid it with her hand and stuck it back with a hasty grin.

The movements, she hoped, would seem natural enough that it wouldn\'t rise any suspicion. "Umm...There\'s the papers you asked for, if you review them I\'m sure they\'ll be what you asked for...still, check them over so I can go get them corrected if they\'re not specific enough." she finished, and managed to get her stomach in reign as it fluttered with nervousness. Ara kept her fingers behind her back to keep them from going to touch her dagger protectively.

She tried to calm herself, the dagger was stained, and it did not glint as it did before. The hilt was still bright turquoise, with the silver emblem of the eye embeded in it, but she had managed to cover that...sort of. She told herself the stains were not bright red at all, and were not the color of dried blood either. To a certain extent she managed to keep her imagination from running away from her as she remembered she had dropped it in the dirt and had forgotten to clean it. It wouldn\'t look TOO valuble...perhaps.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2006, 09:17:25 PM »
His eyes had followed the movements of her hands but, naturally, her agility was too great for him to interpret exactly what had dropped.  Something metallic, judging by the clunk, but he didn\'t think a great deal of it.  People dropped things onto wooden floors with greater impact than was really the case all the time - it could have simply been a heavy pocket watch or a lucky charm for all he knew.  She didn\'t seem too fazed - although her grin was perhaps a little forced.  He assumed that it was embarrassment; perhaps the item had been personally significant but of a private nature.

With a mental shrug, he dismissed all concerns and concentrated on her paperwork, seeing that it was filled out exceptionally well.  He saw that her surname was Green and wondered idly if she was related to any of the greens he knew - though most were farming stock and it was unlikely.  He looked at her signature on the bottom of the agreement, then slid the Deed of Ownership across to her, followed by the pen and ink well.  He went to the trouble of dipping it for her.

"Here is the official document that will proclaim you as Loki\'s owner - just sign here, wait for it to dry and she\'s all yours," he grinned, pointing to the place she needed to sign.  "Oh, and read through it to see that I\'ve got it all written up to your satisfaction, of course," he chuckled, always excited by this part of the business, on the new owner\'s behalf.  Even though the horse wouldn\'t know the difference, he felt happy for anyone making such an important purchase, because everyone needed a horse in their lives (in his opinion) and the newly-christened strawberry filly was an exceptional example of one.

He barely glanced at the bag of gold, knowing how rude it would be to count ut the coins in front of her - as if he didn\'t trust her.  No, he would do that once she was gone, then hand the money over to a guard to take back to the guardhouse and then to the bank in the morning.

MissusHow

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2006, 04:27:25 PM »
Ara glanced over the papers, humming under her breath as she read. The mood seemed lighthearted in a way she couldn\'t explain. Perhaps it was the fact that she had gotten something she had needed, and would use and get to know for a long time. Perhaps it was just an animal, but it meant that she was going to the next level...of whatever game she was playing. The thief lord finally nodded, and with a flourish signed a scrawl that could be mistaken for nothing but that...a scrawl. At closer inspection it was her emblem, the eye with the dagger through it. She knew she was taking a risk in using something so obvious, on her papers, but unless the captain of the guard developed a suspicion for eyes with daggers through them and started checking all the stabling papers she figured she was quite safe.

"The purse includes the advanced payment of two months." she told him, as she set the paper down with a genuine smile on her face. She paused, glanced at the papers again and looked up, "Is that it? Is she mine?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2006, 07:48:07 AM »
He checked the signature he\'d witnessed her scrawl on the Deed of Ownership, saw that it matched the one on the stabling agreement perfectly, and signed his name to both documents - as the authority on the stabling agreement and an emissary on the Deed.  He then placed the signed agreement into his collection inside a leather-bound wallet on his bookcase, before returning to the table and sliding the now fully dry Deed of Ownership her way.

Aware that he\'d been silent while he got all this sorted, he beamed a smile down at her at last.  "Yes, that\'s it.  She\'s all yours - keep that Deed in a very safe place.  If you like, I can also take you out on the floor so that you can meet most of the stablehands you\'re likely to come across.  That way they\'ll know your face and you won\'t be questioned when you ask one of them to prepare your horse for you - and they would question it, not because they\'re rude, but because I insist they know exactly who is taking anyone\'s horse at all times.  You can tell them about the seal you\'re planning to send with anyone else who comes for the horse, too," he added, recalling what she\'d had written on the stabling agreement.

He\'d been impressed with such a safety measure and thought it a better system than always sending the Deed of Ownership with anyone who wanted to borrow a horse - as the nobles often did.  Seals could be reproduced, of course, but pieces of paper became fragile if handled too often (not to mention pocketed carelessly so that one might ride after the details were sorted and a horse obtained).

MissusHow

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2006, 03:11:04 PM »
"I think I\'d like that very much." she told him, positively beaming. She tucked the papers away in the same place as her dagger, as she had before, partly because she still thought it the safest place, partly because she refused to change because of one mishap. "I\'ll have you know some of the people I send are rather odd...the seal should clear everything up, but never be afraid to tell me if they are acting...as they should not, though I\'m sure they\'ll be on their best behavior." Ara said, wondering speculatively what /would/ happen if the people didn\'t believe the seal was real. Another reason to get Ridley to take the map for the dungeons as soon as possible... Suddenly aware that Gallagher might find it odd that her messenger might not act as they should, "They\'re good people, but sometimes quite daft..." she explained, with a small smile, "Normally threatening them with a bath will cure them of any mishaps."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2006, 10:50:13 AM »
He laughed appreciatively at her jest, wondering at the nature of person a lady such as her would employ - and why they were likely to \'misbehave\' or not bathe regularly.  It didn\'t quite seem to fit his mental image of her (based somewhat on the address he\'d read on her agreement form, too), but he didn\'t question it.  He thought perhaps she was just joking.

He made sure everything was tidied away and led her out of his quarters, locking the door because her gold was still sitting on the table.  He worked his way along both floors, discussing horses (not divulging owners) and introducing her to every staff member he came across.  He told them all which horse she\'d just bought and the filly\'s new name, smiling when each repeated, "Loki," with an obedient nod, committing the name to memory as he expected them to do.  They looked at Lady Elle in much the same way - as if they\'d been taught to remember important faces.

Eventually, after much chatting and wandering, she\'d met them all by name - and even though he knew she likely wouldn\'t remember any of the stablehands, the important part had been achieved; they would remember her, and her seal.  He came to a stop with his long fingers poked into the small front pockets of his vest, near the main side entrance on the bottom floor.

"Well, that\'s everyone met and all our business concluded," he said with a grin, expecting her to make a hasty exit.  His eyes twinkled down at her and he realised he\'d enjoyed the tour - it was always a refreshing change from the tedium of paperwork or the physical labour of breaking or training, to wander through his domain and peruse its workings through the eyes of a newcomer.

MissusHow

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2006, 03:02:22 PM »
Ara grinned up at him, fluttering her eyelashes dramatically, "Oh yes, our business is concluded." she said with a wink, and headed towards the door. "If you ever see me on the streets, give me a wave. I may answer...it just depends who I\'m with." Another big grin on her part, in truth, now that she had gotten what she wanted, she felt entirely giddy, and quite devlish. "Hmm, well...I\'ll see you, then." she called, fluttering her fingers in his direction, and heading out the door to go celebrate with the thieves.