Author Topic: A greeting in passing  (Read 17228 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: A greeting in passing
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 05:10:47 PM »
His full lips twisted to the side in a mock pout of contemplation and he eased his long body back against the hard wooden support of his chair, slouching so that he was looking at her through hooded eyes.  She had him there; he was somewhat chagrined that he\'d let his interest get the best of him so early on.  He took a drink and then fiddled with the mug atop the table as his tongue pressed restlessly against the inside of his lips.

"Alright," he conceded with a wry smile, "you have me there.  Let\'s see... I became apprenticed at the stables when I was four and ten and was shocked to find that I liked horses a whole lot better than cows.  They\'re more intelligent and independent - as you well know - and their spirits are rarely broken, even when they learn to wear a saddle and bear a rider.  Now, after ten good years at the stable - and a bit of a name made for myself - I can tell you that I like horses a whole lot better than most people, too, for they\'re a good sight more straightforward and loyal.  When they like you, you know about it, just as you know when they don\'t like you," he chuckled, a light flaring in his blue eyes as he gave away something from the depths of his soul.  "I\'ll keep the company of a horse over most people I know every day of my life, and die a happy man for it."

Although it seemed a simple detail, for Gallagher to express his disdain for the human race over the equestrian was actually quite a grand revelation.  Many might guess that his affection leant towards horses, but he\'d never confirmed for anyone the deep mistrust and disdain he had for the general population.  It wouldn\'t win him any fans if he openly advertised his disgust for the two-legged beasts he daily had contact with; that certainly wasn\'t what they paid him for.

"Oh, and my first name\'s Bede," he added, half as an afterthought but half as a diversion from his prior statements.  She might guess at the depth of his passionate dislike if she stared hard into his eyes, but he hoped to deflect that by adding an extra tidbit of information to which she would respond.

MissusHow

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 03:57:02 PM »
She pondered this, half ignoring his last remark as she looked at him through half closed eyes. To her it didn\'t seem like too big a revelation, her own disgust in humanity was ever present, and she was never surprised to find anybody who thought the same way. She always felt more surprised with people who explained the hope that humanity still held. Besides, Gallagher had uttered this as a casual statement, that he prefered horses to people... They were simple, while people were not. It didn\'t seem to hold the feeling of loathing for civilization.

"The ultimate question for you, since horses have been put forth as best, is which is better...cows or humans?" she said in mock seriousness, feeling a grin creep up the side of her face and not bothering to hide it. "You know, Bede is a nice name. It goes well with your last name." she continued, not bothering to wait for the answer to her absurd question. She waited a bit longer before giving her share of facts.

"Very well...I\'ll answer your questions now...I don\'t know how old I was when they took me...even my age now is an estimate, at about how old I look. I didn\'t speak this language, but I learned it quickly enough. As for my sister..." She came to a full halt, and looked away from his gaze, her fingers once again reaching for her hair. A small sigh escaped her, and she shrugged, "We got separated. I don\'t know what happened to her...I suspect she\'s either here or in the next city over...I bought Loki for the purpose of looking for her, but I havn\'t been able to follow up on that. I\'ve been busy...things came up. They always do, when I finally prepare to make the journey."

Ara blinked a few times, before a sly smile spread across her face, "Say...how old /do/ I look?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 05:55:30 PM »
He chuckled heartily, distracted from pondering the fact that she hadn\'t offered another name when he\'d stated his own.... meaning that Elle was her real name?  The tale of her sister also gave him much pause... but now was not the time to indulge in such staid ruminations when a far livelier conversation was at hand.

"Do I look that stupid?" he grinned at her, knowing full well the pitfalls of stating any word in the vicinity of what a lady\'s age might be - they were touchy on the subject no matter what.  When they were young, he found they wanted to be older (and he\'d got into trouble whenever he\'d said anything below what they wished to be) and when they got to a certain age, they all decided it was best to be young and start counting their age backwards.  Woe betide any man that pointed out the lack of success their tricks with makeup, new hairstyles or a different dress achieved!  It was a losing situation and he knew better to wade in on such odds.

"You look as old as the blooming rose fresh-kissed by a new morn\'s sun, but your petals are twice as lovely, your skin thrice as soft and your fragrance inestimably better," he told her seriously, allowing his gaze to lower purposefully before rising to meet her dark eyes once more.  His smirk betrayed the fact that he knew he was waffling nonsense but it was the prettiest nonsense he\'d ever managed to concoct and usually deflected all talk of a woman\'s age - whether it was because she chose to be flattered and allowed him that grace, or found his poetic words to be akin to drivel, the lady was, either way, distracted.  He was fairly certain he knew which way his current companion would lean, but she might surprise him.

MissusHow

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 03:40:49 PM »
A wolfish grinn possessed the thief lords face when he asked his question and it broadened when he began his little speech. Towards the middle of it she was trying to hold in her laughter and at the end she couldn\'t contain it, letting it all out in one big whoop and gaspign for breath as roared with laughter. She was left helplessly gasping with her head on the table, and a hand trying to wipe the tears that had streamed down her face away.

"What-" she began, but couldn\'t continue, and surrendered to another fit of giggles, "I\'m not trying to-" more laughter, "I\'m not saying it\'s /bad/-" she was trying to make amends for her amusement and doing her best to collect herself (though it was quite difficult, as her sides had been split quite skillfully) and appear normal.

A few more gasps and she was ready to talk, "As useless nonsense /goes/ that was the best I\'ve ever heard!" she exclaimed enthusiastically, "Truly, did you get that out of a book? Did you make it up? If you made it up you could make a pretty penny writing up nonsense like that and selling it to the noble men to tell to their ladies." she was grinning broadly again, and trying to hide it with a hand. Realizing it was possible that he may feel a little injured by her mirth she tried to make ammends, "I\'m sorry gallagher, but really I\'ve not heard such lines like that since I was evesdropping on the last noble who tried it out on his own. I suppose I should be swooning, but really!"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 07:15:39 AM »
He laughed along with her - nowhere near as heartily, for he couldn\'t do so at his own expense - watching with glittering eyes the silken way she moved and the lovely tilt of her mouth.  It was probably the drink in him, but he finally allowed himself to quietly wonder at how she\'d feel pressed beneath him in the dark, how those lips of hers would taste.

"No, not swooning," he chuckled, once she\'d finished her review.  He wasn\'t at all offended because his words had done what they were intended to do - get him out of guessing her age - and she\'d laughed at him instead of pursuing an answer from him.  That was a successful dodge, in his book.  "Laughter is fine; you look a lot softer and livelier than a rose when you laugh, anyway," he murmured, taking another swig of his drink, surprised to find it empty when he slammed it down on the table - not so hard it would shatter, but it gave a resounding thump nevertheless.

"Oops," he announced calmly, not looking too perturbed as he blinked at his companion.  He\'d had enough to drink because he was actively pursuing lines that might make her swoon in his head - and rejecting them all - and that was a very bad sign.  He was supposed to be going home with his cousin, not seducing a foreign princess just because her skin was tantalisingly dark and she moved liked a snake... he cleared his throat and made an effort to get back to their game, combing the fingers of his right hand through his curls and rumpling them, but lifting them away from his eyes.

"Let\'s see," he pondered, watching his work-roughened hands link together on the table before him, still in his sprawled position (his right leg had taken to swinging beneath the table, perhaps in an effort to brush hers inadvertently).  She\'d heard all about his family and she\'d learned his history with the stables - including his jaded view that people weren\'t better than horses.  What else was there to tell her that still fit within the spirit of their light-hearted conversation?  Even as he thought about it, though, his emotions took over his mouth, before his brain got a look in.

"I had my first kiss when I was six," he grinned (one of the boys from the next farm over - but she didn\'t need to know that), "before I\'d even learned to ride a horse, but I didn\'t manage to have a proper evening out with anyone until I was nineteen.  I\'ve never been married and don\'t plan to anytime soon, though I wouldn\'t mind having a pack of kids.  Wouldn\'t go over too well at the stables, though," he giggled, imagining groups of his offspring pelting through the stables, throwing mud and jars of linament at each other while his employees cursed him and tried to avoid dropping their burdens of saddles and blankets, "nor with society, I guess, if I don\'t marry," he added as it occurred to him.  He appeared to give it some serious thought for a full two seconds, then he shrugged and grinned at her again.  "Still, I haven\'t ever been in a relationship that lasted longer than a month - and that only happened because I was so busy I couldn\'t be found to be yelled at for my neglect.  I\'m married to my job, I think.  Everyone else is just... a mistress," he told her with a wink.

Although he was still smiling, there was an element in his statement that appeared to have him concerned.  He knew he worked too hard and as much as he made light of it, he also knew he did want a family.  He just didn\'t seem able to mend his ways to have both.  She spoke of her age but his was a niggle at the back of his mind; by his age, his father had established a farm, married a fabulous woman and had five children.  Gallagher had... established an excellent reputation as a horseman and raised the profile of the castle\'s stables.  What good did that do him?  The fact was, he hadn\'t ever even allowed himself enough time to find someone he\'d be able to marry (someone he\'d find worthy, at the least) because, frankly, he enjoyed his... open ways too much.

MissusHow

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 09:53:29 AM »
Ara smiled because of his comment, and she didn\'t bother replying. Sometimes it was best to take a compliment without a witty retort. When he thumped his empty drink on the table she rose her eyebrows speculatively, wondering if he was more tipsy than he was letting on. He seemed perfectly normal, if perhaps just a bit loser on the tongue. Then again she didn\'t know him much, and perhaps he was always like this.

"Mm, now there\'s an interesting thought." she murmured, leaning forward slightly, "Marriage to your job..." she paused, running the tip of her finger along the rim of her cup, her expression was a thoughtful one, "You and I are not so different, you know." she finally concluded with a smirk. And she felt this was true, she herself felt she couldn\'t stay with anybody for too long, because of the danger involved for her and for them...her identity, and most of all...lies. She couldn\'t keep a relationship without lying, not if she wanted to keep doing what she was doing...giving it up just didn\'t seem to be an option.

"Anyway, you\'re lucky. My longest relationship has probably been...about a week. Maybe two... I can\'t seem to keep concentrated, and always end up feeling guilty...hmm...More facts, then? Allright." She crossed and uncrossed her legs from under thte table, accidentally brushing against his. "Sorry-" she apollogized hastily and willed herself not to move her legs much. "I can\'t remember my first kiss...it was too unpleasant to me-" she began, when a much more sober expression crossed her face, she remembered her first kiss allright...it had not been...enjoyable.

Being a foreigner in the slums, and being young and pretty didn\'t keep her well protected. Quite the opposite. Men seemed to enjoy \'bumping\' into her at random times, when she wasn\'t expecting it. It taught her to be on her guard, as well as to move quickly when she was in tight spaces. "Anyway... let\'s just say that I received too warm a welcome into this country when I was young...most of my early...experiences..." she gave him a wink, "are not worth remembering, but I learned, and my more recent ones have been pretty nice, always short lived...but never boring. Goodness, not boring! I should hate it if any of them were boring." she said honestly. "As for children...I can\'t picture myself ever having one...much less many. I suppose if I did I\'d do my best to be good at it, but somehow the image isn\'t in my mind."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 09:11:02 PM »
He cringed in sympathy when she talked about her first experiences being unpleasant - he could imagine all too well how a beautiful and exotic-looking girl would have been treated when she was enslaved and taken to another country.  It constantly appalled him, how badly people treated each other - especially women.  Especially beautiful women.  The fact that he saw no place for slaves in the world - at all - also coloured his view.

He sat up straighter in his chair, not just because she\'d introduced such a sensitive topic, but also because she\'d made him aware that his long legs were taking up too much room.  It turned out to be good timing, for a serving girl appeared at the table just as he\'d finished adjusting himself, retrieved his mug and asked if he wanted another (she wasn\'t too well cultured to resist peering into Elle\'s cup to see if she might be requesting a new drink soon).  He deliberated for a few moments, knowing the drink was beginning to effect him and a fourth would loosen his tongue considerably but... it was a good excuse to spend time at the lady\'s table.  If he decided he was finished drinking, it would be the right thing to return to his cousin and head out... no, best to have another.

When the girl was gone, he looked back at his companion, smiling only slightly.  "Aye; Talon knows if I\'ll ever get myself out of the stable long enough to even find a home, let alone a wife to make one with," he murmured, tilting his head slightly to watch her.  She didn\'t seem the motherly type; she seemed, in fact, quite young and... mischievous?  He didn\'t suppose that was a very appropriate word for a lady... but it was what his mind presented for this one.  "In the meantime, I practise.  Never boring... you\'re right," he agreed, winking at her.

He could think of a few things he might tell her next but they were either too mundane to be borne or too revealing to be risked this early on in their conversation... so he left the comment open to see if she would have anything independent to add (or merely goad him again).  His grin increased markedly after the wink, half hoping she\'d think he was boasting that he was never boring... and in that claim lay a proposition.  He was interested to know what she\'d do with it.

MissusHow

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 11:03:54 AM »
"Mmm...if you ahd to practice you must not have been very good in the beginning, eh? Maybe a bit clumsy? Confused as to what hole it went in?" she asked lewdly, grinning wickedly and finishing off her drink. "I\'m talking, of course, about ah..." she paused, leaning back, "Nailing. Nailing things to walls." she went on to say, unsure if he knew the slang that was used in the lower slums and hoping he might get the joke.

"Frankly, I am doubting that you are as clever as you think you are..." she told him saucily, giving him a sidelong glance, and running the tip of her finger slowly around the rim of the mug, keeping her eyes on him all the while. One eyebrow was lifted, and her eyes danced laughingly, "Perhaps you could show me your ability at...Nailing." It would either absolutely confuse him (and she would take no steps to enlighten him), or he would understand right away.

"Later." she said, relaxing the tension that had built up in her own body and leaning back on her chair. "For now, you owe me some more facts. I like hearing about you, strange as it seems." Harvesting information was a favorite passtime of her! The more she knew, the more she could manipulate people...Which, in her mind, was not a bad thing at all.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 09:32:40 PM »
Gallagher - despite mixing a great deal with the upper class in his place of employment - was very familiar with slang that might only ever find popularity in the less reputable areas of the keep.  When she spoke of nailing her later... or demonstrating how he would... he just about spat the first mouthful of his newly-delivered drink out all over the table.  As it was, in order to suppress that reflex, he ended up with some liquid going down the wrong way from swallowing hastily and having as quiet a coughing fit as he could manage.

Did she just invite me to bed her?  I believe she did... she plainly told me I could show her my ability at nailing later!  Didn\'t she? Maybe not... what lady would ever talk like that?  Well, except for... hmmm.

After he\'d managed to regain his equilibrium enough to talk again (not to mention quieten his mental processes into merely accepting the offer and speaking to ascertain the truth of it - seeing as guesswork was doing him no good whatsoever), he looked at her through watery blue eyes, attempting to blink the extra moisture away.  He cleared his throat one more time, just to be sure.

"I apologise about that - went down the wrong way, I\'m afraid," he told her ruefully, sitting up straighter and pounding a fist upon his chest.  He gave his cousin - who\'d gained a few mates at his table and called out some sort of jibe about holding his liquor (to a round of approving laughter) - a wave over his shoulder to show he was recovered, then gave Elle a sheepish half grin.  He watched her steadily, wondering if she\'d feel compelled to speak and debating on how best to ask her to clarify... or whether to just leave it and see where things ended up.  The tension wasn\'t excactly unbearable, after all; he found not knowing what she was thinking exciting.

"More facts then... hrmm.  I will, but first I must argue the notion that I\'m unskilled at... nailing.  Or, indeed, any type of maintenance in general - and I\'m well aware that there are many... types of maintenance necessary if a... job is to avoid boredom.  In fact, I\'ve had many compliments on how good a job I\'ve done; the practise was just to keep the standard high, you see," he told her slyly, his grin growing to encompass his whole mouth now.  He knew he was sounding arrogant and because it was deliberate, he wouldn\'t take it any further - lest it come to a point where he was to put his money where his mouth was (so to speak... perhaps his mouth where his... well...) and he found expectations had been raised so high he had no hope of living up to them.

He took a careful swallow of his drink, pleased that there was no mishap this time, and looked a wee bit more mellow when he gazed at her once more.  Her deliberately crass comments had at least freed him of his qualms about revealing risqué things about himself, so he followed his instincts.

"In fact, one of the best times I ever had was on a workbench.  She was on duty - guarding the stable - and I was waiting for a fever to break on one of the stallions.  It was tedious work, cooling him down with water and she eventually began carrying buckets with me - it was the early hours of the morning and we were right near the entranceway, so it was fine she left her post.  We got to talking and it was very friendly but I believed it to be going nowhere - next thing I was in the tackroom to get some linament and she\'d followed me in.  She... uh... nailed me to the wall and started saying the dirtiest things to me, then let me go and climbed up onto the workbench and ordered me to remove her uniform so I could... er... do to her what I\'d just heard her describe," he explained, a far off look in his eye and a shaking of his head expressing the wonderment he still had of the incident.

"It was awfully hard and fast but the job was perfectly prepared for and finished spectacularly - for both of us.  She\'s never said another word of that night - but I wish she would!" he laughed, smirking at his lady companion good-naturedly.  He wondered if he\'d overstepped the mark and she\'d be offended by this tale, even though he\'d only been sharing one of his favourite experiences with her - as was the dictate of the game.

MissusHow

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2006, 07:15:21 PM »
Ara partly smiled when Gallagher started hacking his brains out, It looks like he understands it well enough... she thought to herself. She made no effort to clarify, and only broadened her smile when he made the hasty joke. My, and he was unsettled! Used to ladies, then, wasn\'t he? Ignoring his comment about how he was quite good, she decided expanding was not worth her time. He had heard her, if he wished to take her up on the offer by the end of their meeting it was up to him.

As he told his story she rose her eyebrows, and laughed at al the rights times (or the times she believed to be right). It was an entertaining story! Her mind wandered, as she pondered meeting that woman. It might be interesting...she seemed like an interesting person. When he finished Ara grinned, "It\'s a little known secret that we women like sex as much as you men. We can just hold out a little longer than men can."

"Let\'s see...one of my most interesting experiences was on a roof, actually. I had met him that very day, he was a passing traveler, coming from the next city over. We get a lot of those, but none as interesting as this one. His hair was green. Apparently some alchemist had been experimenting on him, but his hair made him all the more attractive to me. He asked me the best place to see the city, and I led him to the roof of Talons church...one thing led to another, and the rest, my dear...is history." she told him, wondering if he would find it apalling that she had done it over a church. to her it didn\'t seem disrespectful, and all she had for Talon was respect...

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2006, 08:12:33 PM »
Gallagher giggled, his cheeks flushing at the thought of her with a green-haired man on Talon\'s roof (and possibly a little because of his alcohol consumption, too). My, but he hadn\'t expected a reciprocal story of that kind and he was secretly awed that he could be so fortunate to have made her acquaintance. Naturally, it took a few moments for the images of her naked under the moonlight... under a stranger... to fade and he had to forcibly stop himself from looking her over to feed the fantasy. In another fine show of will, he also sat still on his seat and resisted the urge to... shift into a more comfortable position.

"Aye, I\'ve known some women with some damn scary sex drives, I assure you, but men regularly put them to shame," he agreed, then blushed harder as he realised he might have said... but she shouldn\'t... he hoped she wouldn\'t... he pressed his red lips together momentarily, giving her a guilty look. The liquor was beginning to account for a lot more conversation than he wished it to, especially in open company. If they were somewhere alone, he mightn\'t mind telling her...

"My favourite colour is blue," he blurted out hastily, seeking inane topics that would stop causing his mind to wander and his body to betray him to her. "I enjoy the current moon best, for it\'s cold enough to snuggle but not so freezing there\'s snow and a need for huge fires and fifteen blankets at night."

I\'d love to use you as a blanket some time, though - run my hand up the backs of your thighs and over your ass as you lay atop me and then... crap! Stop it!

"Uh... my twin looks exactly like me and when we were growing up, we used to tell people outside our family we were the other one - problem with that was no-one ever figured it out, so it kind of took the fun out of it. Our school teacher worked it out one time when I\'d given Baxter a black eye and the bruise hadn\'t faded the next day. He tried to tell me he needed to give me one to make the trick work but I didn\'t go for it and he ended up with a scratch to go with his bruise, just for trying to punch me anyway. Oh, and another thing; he calls me Bags as a nickname, because of my intials," he grinned.

Yes, he was feeling a lot calmer now; it seemed thoughts of his family were an adequate antidote to his ardour. He just had to keep his gaze riveted on hers, rather than letting it stray lower and imagining things she\'d invited him to do with her later on. But damn, the drawbridge would be up and he\'d had plans to stay with his cousin... where could they even go? He pushed the image of the tavern roof right out of his head; in this weather, that would be plain stupid, bits were likely to freeze off.

MissusHow

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2006, 08:55:09 AM »
Ara watched, a little amused (a little something /else/), as Bede struggled to keep his composture. Seeing him struggle so made her a little more self aware, and she resisted the urge to cross her arms over her chest. At his near revelation, she laughed, "I know what you mean." The other meaning would have completely missed her, as she had thought he might have been refering to what men talk about in private. She\'d had her fair share, living in the headquarters of a mostly male population of thieves. His quick cover up was the key to her suspicion now. Was he--? Did it really matter? No. It didn\'t.

"You have a twin? Can you communicate through your minds?" she asked, "What does he do? Are you very similar in personalities? Are people afraid of you? I\'ve met some people who are deathly afraid of twins..." Supersticions. Thank the gods she wasn\'t supersticious, it truly was a handicap that could not be ignored.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2006, 10:49:24 PM »
He chuckled, knowing he should probably condemn her asking him questions as she would have if the tables were turned, but warming to her anyway, because of her outlandish comments.  Scared of twins?

"No, we don\'t communicate with each other using our minds.  We\'re pretty similar in personality I guess, but he\'s a bit more devious with the way he goes about things - he works for a silk merchant, transporting his materials from ports in the south to the townships in this area.  He\'s more wily than me, considering he works with people and they\'re a lot more trouble than animals.  He gets to the castle maybe one week in every five - he\'s due at home on the morrow, in fact, which is why I\'m out of the keep and headed for the farmlands for a couple of days.  It was our birthday the moon before last and we never got to celebrate it together, so there\'ll be a party at the Gallagher homestead the morrow\'s night, I assure you!" he told her jovially, dropping a wink over the edge of the cup that momentarily obscured his view as he took another drink.  When he\'d put the vessel down, he continued to address her comments with a vaguely bewildered frown.

"You know, I have no clue why people would be worried by twins.  Just because we look alike doesn\'t make us the same person twice over and therefore to be feared.  My mam has a disposition to them, I think; I have a set of twin sisters, too.  All she ever said about it was that it was the best idea Adora ever came up with; two souls for the price of one birthing!  She considers it the most efficient thing she\'s ever done," he chuckled, eyes dancing mischievously as he shared a woman\'s views on womanly things - with a lady who wasn\'t at all interested in ever going down the childbirth track.  The irony of it (or was it the alcohol?) amused him no end as he leaned forward to fold his arms and rest his elbows on the table once more.  His decreased reasoning was demonstrated by the fact that he was leaning a good deal closer to her now and he\'d moved his right knee so that it rested against her leg beneath the table.

MissusHow

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2006, 03:43:47 PM »
"Am I invited?" she fired back playfully, and laughing it off. She didn\'t want to spend time with his family...families brought people close...put her off her guard. Not a good idea. Luckily, Bede moved on to the subject of twins again, and she smiled, listening to him talk about his mother. "She seems like a very practical woman." Ara commented honestly. "I dare say if I were her I might htink exactly the same!" she announced.

A shiver of excitement sped up her back when she felt his knee against her leg and she supresed it, "You know-" she began, leaning in as if telling a secret, "In my old home, they used to say that twins were children of the gods." she was whispering now, and her eyes were twinkling, "One was the devils child, and the other...the other was a saint. They feared the devil child, so they would try to choose one to kill. But the two were so close people often ended up killing the wrong child." There was a hint of sorrow in her tale, not because of any connection, but killing a child seemed...wrong. Still her face got closer, "Which one are you, Bede?" she whispered into his ear.

Her fingers made small circles on his knee and Ara dared not move, save for her fingers she was not going to move an inch. Not until he answered her...it didn\'t really matter what the answer was...so long as it was interesting. Ara had no trouble thinking that Gallagher would come up with something worthy of her attentions.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 04:20:20 PM »
His quick response of, "Sure!" was cut off when she laughed about being asked to his party and he realised she wasn\'t being serious.  Pity, really, he could imagine her fitting in with his boisterous family quite easily, joking and teasing and generally taking the piss out of one another all night.  Escorting a beautiful woman to his home might also win him favour with his mother, who claimed he was going to be the death of her and never settle down (Baxter got the same lecture, of course).

Hearing that in her home land they killed one twin was purely horrific but softened greatly by the fact that she got closer and closer to him as she detailed the foreign beliefs.  He was transfixed by her, a shiver tingling its way along his neck when she was close enough to whisper in his ear, her breath washing over him alluringly.  Coupled with the fingers trailing around his knee

When did her hand get under the table?  I didn\'t even see it move!
Well, of course you didn\'t; you\'re drunk, you idiot.
Not
that drunk, surely
Like you were even looking at her hands...
Hrmm.  True.

his body started to respond before it had his permission, his thoughts decidedly wanton.

He moved his hand beneath the table as well, trailing the backs of his fingers down her arm until he reached her wrist, and then it dropped to her knee, his grip firmer than hers and gently kneading rather than circling.  He turned his head so that he could get his lips close to her ear, feeling a spark when his cheek contacted hers.

Because he was quite tipsy, he had to concentrate on performing these movements in precise order, and so by the time they were executed successfully... he\'d completely forgotten what he was going to say.  He tried with great intent to remember, but the smell of her skin and hair this close was only further distracting him, so he did the best thing he could think to do; he sucked her earlobe into the warm well of his mouth.  His tongue appeared a few moments later and frisked the hollow with a few loving swipes and then he nibbled - with five deliberate nips - from the lobe to the top of the shell of her ear.

"You tell me," he murmured, nuzzling the skin he\'d just dampened and being sure to breathe hotly over it for good measure.  He knew she\'d asked him to pick whether he was the good or bad twin, but he still couldn\'t remember which one he was going to choose after all his premeditated fondling.  Best she just give her opinion anyway.