Author Topic: Judicious  (Read 25022 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Judicious
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2007, 07:18:05 AM »
The prince, Mayhew (or Hew, as he preferred to be called, but could only enforce this with friends and some of his peers, but not at parties such as this), was surrounded by a squadron of nobles who\'d delighted in fussing over him in order to win his respect.  They\'d done the opposite, for his cheeks hurt from the tight smile he was holding in order to be polite before he decided he was the prince and he didn\'t have to be polite if he didn\'t want to be.  He was about to excuse himself (politely, despite his desire to talk to these people as he\'d heard Lord Dagger talk to them, a man he respected though he didn\'t know him all that well, if only because the other man was rude and his stories of being boorish that he heard from the Captain were dreadfully amusing), when he caught sight of his etiquette tutor, who frowned sternly.  The man was a spy for his father, so Mayhew continued to stand and be fussed over, though the tight smile was dropped in order to give his cheeks a rest.

Upon seeing the Captain looking his way, he pulled a wide eyed expression at her (that could only be described as pulling a face) in a gesture that would hopefully have her coming over to save him.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 07:46:09 AM »
Biting down a chuckle as she caught that look (yet feeling infinitely better because of it), Lam cleared her throat and leaned towards Kysis.  "I may have to get... a bit creative here," she warned him, letting go of his hand in order to smooth her faultless gown and adopt a more... business-like expression.  A slight frown and lips pressed together ought to do it - there was no way she was going to extricate Hew from his circle of sycophants without a decent excuse.  And she was certainly not of the mind that they would join it and wait their turns for his attention; she knew him far too well for that.

Arcing around, Lam traded a look with the guards that hovered perpetually near the royals and then came up behind the prince\'s right shoulder, leaning in to whisper in his ear very obviously.  "I think ducks are cute and I heard a dog bark," she told him earnestly (wondering if he\'d slip and laugh but knowing he was far better trained than that - she just liked to tease him), and then turned to look at the ring of faces staring at her, almost as if she hadn\'t noticed them there.  Two gentleman didn\'t notice her approach, so their conversation continued, but she was able to address the majority of them.

"Good sirs, I\'m sure you\'ll understand when I say that I need a word with His Highness privately?" she explained, though it was more of a statement than a request.  She certainly didn\'t need their permission to steal the monarch away and they knew it - but they all made slightly startled, disappointed or understanding murmurs in her direction anyway.  She gripped the youth\'s forearm lightly - really, a terrible breach of etiquette except for the fact that she did a hell of a lot more than just touch him when they sparred together - and steered him away with a moderate amount of urgency.  She directed them to the corner of the room, in fact, where only the guards were close and even they were several long steps away.

She gave a small smile when they arrived, green eyes twinkling conspiratorially.  "Hope you don\'t mind my intervention, but I felt it was very important that you meet Lord Liari here as soon as possible," she nodded, indicating her companion with a gesture and a glance that told him it was his turn to address the young royal.  "Lord Liari, Prince Mayhew Kestrel," she informed, avoiding using his very formal title of heir to the throne of Elaria etcetera, but not supposing to be so informal that she\'d tell Kysis the name he preferred to go by straight up.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • The Relentless Muse Blog
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 01:42:10 PM »
Kysis was led in to a corner, it would seem, which he found very odd.  Of course, it gave him a chance away from everyone else, a chance to observe from further off.  Distinct clusters of people could be made out, and Kysis immediately noticed some patterns, remembering little snippets about the individuals and putting them together.  Kysis nodded to himself.  It was a good distraction from that confrontation with Dagger, even as mundane as it seemed.  Simple observation was a splendid thing.

It was that same keen sight which caught Lam returning, with a young, well dressed fellow in tow.  Odd... Kysis turned to face their approach, however, straightening a bit at the introduction.  He had believed Lam would go talk to the prince, not drag him along with.  Blinking a few times, the young lord made for a quick recovery, giving a low and respectful bow, words hushed with that same sentiment as he spoke, "It is a pleasure to meet you, Your Highness."

Meeting the king had been a simple thing.  He was an elder to Kysis, so that gave obvious clues as to how to act, and how the man might possibly respond to anything Kysis might speak.  The prince, however, was a completely different case all together.  Kysis had heard of snobby royalty and generous royalty, the range just as vast as the riches such families boasted.  Since he came along, the young man obviously did not mind Lam too much, and was not completely stuck up.  Kysis could have judged wrong, but in this case he doubted it.  Hopefully the prince\'s reception was far more amiable than that he received from Dagger.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Lord Kysis Liari (Ένας πεσμένος ήρωας.),
Fenwick Baldor (Song, wine, and a bit of trouble),
Calista Liari (Θραύσματα Ομορφιά)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2007, 05:06:40 PM »
Hew\'s gratitude couldn\'t be measured for there was no real way of measuring gratitude, except that he knew he was very grateful when the Captain came to rescue him.  Very, very grateful.  He was about to give her a winning smile when he realised her approach to get him away was already part of a plan, for she would not come to him with a stern look, not at a party.  Her words, preposterous and funny because of it, brought a frown to his own face, where he declared: "You don\'t say," as though she\'d given him news he hadn\'t wanted to hear.

Once his back was turned, he grinned, though didn\'t dare look at her, but made a half-step towards nudging her a thank you with his shoulder, as though he\'d expected to head in a different direction rather than meaning to butt his arm against her own.

When Kysis was introduced and bid his greeting, Hew\'s grin turned into his routine smile and he moved into his etiquette training (which was more like brainwashing, in his opinion).  "Well met," he declared in return, then swivelled his gaze to the Captain.  "What\'s this about beautiful ducks?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2007, 06:03:10 PM »
She giggled and tried not to smile too broadly, for they certainly still had an audience - not that she paid the rest of the barely-filled ballroom much attention, now that she had the prince to herself. "They quack, you know," she added ominously, nodding to encourage his contemplation of the matter. "And they\'re covered with feathers." Her lips were getting sore from being held in check, so she decided to abandon the subterfuge to ease the ache that was growing in them - it would have been obvious already to her partner that she greatly enjoyed her time spent with the young heir (and that it was not always completely serious either. He had a wicked sense of humour that she couldnt help but appreciate).

"Ahh, Hew; I\'ll never manage to fully unseat you, will I?" she sighed, relaxing slightly and giving a shake of her head that belied how proud she was that this would be the case. Any king not able to hold his own in unusual situations was likely to be unsuccessful in other aspects of his work as well, so she didn\'t take affront at his equilibrium in the slightest. "I just felt like it was getting a little boring in here and I thought you should meet Kysis - he\'s the one with the weapons I was telling you about. I figured nonsense was a better idea than getting you in a strangle-hold and seeing how long I could pin you, in this dress," she grinned, dropping a wink and offering a shrug that supported the rest of her explanation.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2007, 07:26:07 PM »
Wait, what?  Kysis shot Lam a confused look, curious about why the first actual comment the prince made was about ducks.  Ducks?  Soon it was all explained, though (sort of) and Kysis could relax some.  It was not a terrible inside joke, or a new joke at his expense.  Every time Kysis heard the word "beautiful" from Lam he had to wonder.  However, it just seemed this was all very friendly, especially with how Lam fell right in to using a nickname for the prince and the first name (which had not been introduced) of the young lord.

He listened intently for all of five seconds before his mind started wandering.  The prince was a charming fellow.  Kysis was still fretting over a less than charming sir, one which he needed to slip away and appologize to.... Not right now.  That would be in terrible form, look horridly suspicious, and no doubt offend both of the people in close proximity.  Kysis had not angered the king (that he knew of), so he definitely did not want to set off his heir, who could probably whisper a few words and that whole, delicately sculpted first impression would have been all for naught.

Then again, Kysis could have just been a little paranoid after meeting with Dagger.  Yes, that seemed exactly it.  Though he found Lam\'s sudden turn in conversation noteworthy, Kysis was not exactly feeling the need to respond.  The comments had been directed to the prince.  Kysis had no intentions of interrupting.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2007, 09:43:06 PM »
Hew\'s eyes lit up with interest as he made the connection (with the Captain\'s help) about Kysis and the new weapons deal that his father had signed for the guards.  This information had come from Lam and not from his father, nor any court advisors.  Being the prince meant that he was being groomed for the kingdom, not to overlook his father make decisions for it.  That, would happen on his 20th birthday, where he would be with his father for a year and learn by observation what it was to run a kingdom.  This task daunted him - not the part where he would be making decisions that would affect thousands of lives, but spending all that time with his father, a man he knew about as well as he knew Lord Dagger - which was not at all.

"Oh!" he exclaimed in a fashion that only teenagers could exclaim and pull off.  "That Lord Liari," he said, as though there might be several milling around.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2007, 10:02:59 PM »
She chuckled, shaking her head indulgently at him.  "Yes, that Lord Liari," she agreed, having to bite her tongue before she said anything incriminating about Kysis\' weapons to the prince.  Freddy had brought samples of a few types to the king so that the monarch might choose one that he would like to give Hew for his seventeenth birthday during the upcoming Egg Moon... but nothing had come of it yet.  Whatever King Morgan wanted to see her about the next day, he was very likely to tack on a discussion about her opinion on which weapon to get for Hew.

She knew the prince regent and his fighting preferences far better, after all, so she was the perfect candidate to get such information from.  Sometimes it annoyed her, however, how little Morgan knew about his son - especially since she had a great deal of time for the boy and was somewhat protective of him (and had been ever since she\'d begun tutoring him, upon her assumption of the Captain\'s position eight years before.  He\'d come a long way since then, that was for sure).

"I was telling our future king here about the weapons I ordered for the guards - haven\'t told him that they arrived the day before yesterday, though - and what good quality your steel is," Lam told Kysis, turning her smile upon him instead of the prince, her expression encouraging.  "He hasn\'t see any samples yet, of course.  I advised that he might like to visit your store in the marketplace but you could also show him some of your finer pieces personally, if you\'d like?" she hinted, glancing from one male to the other as if she\'d only just thought of this idea.  Her gaze eventually settled back on Kysis.  "He wanted to know what made your steel so unique, you see - that would give you a chance to explain, especially since I had no idea."  She was more than willing to arrange a special guard duty so that Kysis might bring weapons near Hew to have a look at and play with.  Were Kysis\' hand in better condition, she could even imagine the two of them sparring quite effectively.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2007, 11:44:20 PM »
It seemed Kysis had no choice but to stay, being sucked right back in to the conversation.  A smile was forced when Lam looked to him, followed by a nod.  He was the only Lord Liari he knew about, so why there would be any confusion... or the Prince just hadn\'t remembered, which was fine.  The royal family must have met too many people to keep them all ready at any moment.  Kysis knew he had already forgotten half the names he had been given this night.  Luckily that half was the one more adverse to him, so they were not worth much attention.

Business was a subject Kysis was not too horridly keen on, but he would stomach it.  Considering the insinuations that Lam had spoken in great detail about the weaponry to the Prince, Kysis felt it was neccissary to voice at least a little of his opinion about the matter.  It was his business after all, his duty to take care of in many different regards (including reputation).  This might become a half-decent chance to up at least the knowledge that he existed.  Before this night he could have passed for not, considering how few of these nobles knew a spot about him (one had actually recognized his name, but that was about it).  Yes, this was definitely a good chance.

"I would be honored.  I can try to gather means for a private viewing of the best here in Oberon?"

For a moment, Kysis wished he had accepted the offer of Ryos\' sword.  It seemed Marcos had found it while cleaning up the chaos, did not want such a fine blade to go to waste.  Sadly, Kysis had sent a message back just a few days ago saying that it should remain with its original master.  He was not sure how Marcos would take it, but...  Kysis had a few pieces here in Oberon that had potential for showing, that flail especially.  Flexing his hand in memory of the wound, Kysis tried keeping still.  Staying so much like a statue was a strain for him, but for the sake of reputation, he\'d not fidget or pace, not here at least.

Now, explaining about the steel...  Kysis did not figure it would be too terrible to give some shred of detail when the time came.  In Kreos, those who knew were to keep their lips sealed.  It was probably the only reason why there had been no attacks against the mine, the only groups daring enough to even try against the Liari family going after the forge.  Part of it was the skilled hands that worked the ore, but a majority was the mines.  Kysis knew he could trust Lam, and he would make it crystal that there was to be no idle chat about anything Kysis did give up in information.  Oberon was far enough away from Kreos that he had little worry.... though he had heard of people travelling further.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2007, 06:49:47 AM »
The term \'future king\' had never sat well on Mayhew\'s shoulders.  He felt as though it was rude to declare someone as such when there was still an existing king in place.  Not that he would ever correct the Captain, a woman who he respected and greatly admired, though it was in the set of his lips.  Most assumed he had trouble with the title due to the responsibilities it implied lay in wait for him, but he was rather looking forward to it.  No matter how much he liked and respected Lam though, she was falling in the same habit as his advisors and tutors did.

"Please, Captain, may I speak for myself?" he asked, surprised that she would communicate this way.  The only times she\'d done it to him was when she either knew the person she was talking to (on his behalf) very well, when she was excited, or if she was nervous.  Hew believed it must\'ve been one of the two former, in this case - if not both.  "I would be honoured to see your trade, Lord Liari.  The Palace is all abuzz with rumours about the fine quality of your steel, though I wouldn\'t trust anyone\'s opinion except for the Captain\'s here - for she knows what she\'s talking about."  He poked his tongue out at her and added.  Some of the time."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2007, 10:29:53 PM »
Lam\'s slighty sheepish roll of the eyes at being asked if Hew could speak for himself (she should have known better) turned into an approving look as he invited Kysis up to the castle anyway... then she raised her eyebrows haughtily at his final comment.

"Some of the time?" she interrupted, rising to the bait - as he likely knew she would - instantly, her voice jumping an octave as well.  "How very generous of you to say so, Highness!  You must be referring to that singular time I advised a change of grip on your sword.  Ooh, no, more likely that day I realised you were broadcasting in your fighting stance and suggested a loosening of your shoulders," she nodded sarcastically, unable to count the number of things she\'d corrected in the way he moved and battled over the years but satisfied that that was exactly the point she was making... in her own gregarious way.

"Yes, I see what you\'re saying.  I am right only some of the time, and was lucky to have informed you correctly about the Liari weapons," she finished in a mock subdued way, appearing as if she\'d been properly chastened - except for the sly grin and look out the corner of her eye that she directed at Kysis as she lowered her had submissively.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2007, 01:02:47 AM »
Kysis had a nervous smile.  He might have laughed at the Prince\'s comments had it not been for Lam\'s responce to it.  Because of that fact, he was feeling a bit uncomfortable, too, deciding that he should excuse himself from this little conversation for at least a few moments.  Offering a bow to the both of them (just to make sure that if the Prince knew nothing of he and Lam, such depth of knowledge would not change or be questioned), Kysis offered the excuse of getting a drink before heading away.

Now was a good opportunity for an appology on his part.  Kysis found it easy to spot Lord Dagger; he stood out from the normal people milling about.  Either that or his eyes automatically picked the lord out, merely by mental association.  Kysis knew he had offended at least two of the five people Lam considered in her inner circle, and he actually intended to "make nice" (somewhat) with this one.  He seemed the most important, anyhow.

"Lord Dagger, if I may request your ear for a moment."

He tried keeping his voice cool, collected, respectful, but there was still a slight tremor to his words as he spoke the name.  Kysis had no doubt misread Dagger\'s statement about lordship, taken quick offense because of all that Lam told him.  The young lord would not give excuses.  He planned on giving some sort of \'started on the wrong foot\' style speech, if Lord Dagger allowed, not ask for forgiveness, just request that a grudge not be held.  In Kreos, a grudge could be the downfall of an entire family, and Kysis did not want to lose what little foothold he had here in Oberon.  Dagger seemed to have the influence for such things, so he was a good place to make amends without the presence of Lam.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2007, 08:32:26 AM »
Hew grinned at the Captain\'s sarcasm, having been used to it in all the time he\'d known her, and wasn\'t surprised or bothered by Lord Liari taking leave. Most of the time, when Hew and the Captain spoke together, people took their leave. It was perhaps one of the things he liked about his relationship with Lam the best, that nobody else really understood their vibe and they were often left to their own conversation. He quickly began by telling her the gossip he\'d picked up at the party; it was something he would not pass on nor be interested in usually, but sometimes, when he was with Lam, it could be fun just saying whatever he felt like at the top of his head without worrying who it would offend.

"Lord Liari," Dagger repeated in kind, not using the title in a manner other than politeness. His minor jab at the other man earlier was also a truth, he had been led to believe the man was a merchant. Of course he knew his words would offend somewhat, but he\'d felt the bristled response was exaggerated - perhaps because Dagger had said it in front of the Captain and the other had thought it best to save face. Whatever the case was, he hadn\'t really cared too much. It was her comment that had made him leave them. "I would not stop a man from speaking his mind."  He made this statement warily, however.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2007, 05:04:44 AM »
That caught him off guard.  For a moment Kysis had no clue what to say, mind trying to decide whether that was sincere or on the offensive again.  The young lord decided to play it on the safe side, give a few quick and pointed explanations.  Perhaps Kysis could manage removing a slight bit of grudge there must have been, had to have been.  Of course, having Lam in common as they did, it might be a bit harder but... Kysis would try anyhow.

"I feel the need to appologize for my earlier.... brashness.  I understand why you might have thought such things.  Yes, I am a merchant, but my family has a large area of northern Greece in possession.  I have only just come to my title..."

Taking a deep breath, Kysis tried forcing back his nervousness, wondering all the while over whether or not that was enough information, if Dagger had even been listening, all things of the sort.  Kysis hoped so.  Admitting he was so new to this game was not something he was very keen on, to say the least, but it seemed a neccissary sacrifice for what was at stake.  Kysis did not want to be on Dagger\'s bad side.  Of all the people not to get under the skin of, Kysis had heard he should be number one.  It could have just been the name, but Kysis wanted to take no chances.

"I am not asking for forgiveness.  I just... wanted that to be clear."
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2007, 11:05:04 AM »
Dagger\'s expression changed from wariness to interest as he mused on Kysis\' words while the other apologised and then clarified that he was worthy of his title and he\'d only recently come into it. His brow lifted slightly when the other pointed out that he wasn\'t seeking forgiveness for his apology, and Dagger wasn\'t sure what to make of it. After a moment longer of looking at the subdued young lord before him, he made comment.

"I\'m one of few here who doesn\'t judge a man by their title, Lord Liari. Half the fops here wither around making airs because they were lucky enough to have popped out of their mother\'s crotch," Dagger described impolitely but with a hint of amusement in his eyes. "I wouldn\'t let anyone speak for me, either, regardless of whether she is a beautiful accessory of the captain of the guard."

He was about to say \'good eve\' and leave the other man to his own devices, but it was his nature to see how this new Lord would handle Dagger\'s comments, for they were brash in the truest nature of the words, despite the other\'s previous use of the descriptor.