Author Topic: Wandering With Different Eyes  (Read 14400 times)

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • The Relentless Muse Blog
Wandering With Different Eyes
« on: January 26, 2008, 10:11:22 PM »
It had been a breath a fresh air, getting out of the keep for a little while, riding like the winds until he and Atropos were both a bit tired.  That had been a hard-coming feat to accomplish.  After the long trek to Greece, it seemed like nothing wore the restless warhorse out.  Kysis was sure it had been an hour, probably three.  Atropos was already back in the stables, happily groomed and quieted down after the run.  Kysis needed to be groomed, but had yet to get there yet.  The city streets were an interesting place to wander now and then, and despite the grumbles of his empty stomach now and then, Kysis wandered.  It had been a while.

Taking a deep breath, Kysis stretched his arms above him, back arching slightly as the muscles protested, actually a little sore.  He had been practicing with his weaponry in every spare moment he got, sometimes even in the shop while he did duty there.  He felt it too.  Having let up a little on the trip to Kreos really left its impact, and Kysis was having to regain his precision.  Kysis dropped his hands to his side, beige tunic and leather doublet settling back into place.  It felt a lot colder, now that he wasn’t in a constant state of motion.

And despite that, there was a lot going on in the streets.  Throngs of people moved through the market, looking at every sort of ware on display, listening to the songs and cries of venders trying to entice people in.  There was dancer from the Frankish territory to the south, something Kysis smiled at, though he did not pause and watch.  Kysis had to pass through Frankish turf whenever he headed back home, to Greece, so it was just a trigger for better memories, of everything his brain was still overloaded with.

There was a lot going on in his life right now, some good, some bad.  That was how it always was, though the highs seemed a lot higher now, and the lows much lower.  Burying his sister, his only sibling, was among such lows.  It still weighed upon him, though it could only be seen in the sapphire of his eyes.  There was a determination in there as well, set because of the new competition in town, which Kysis learned was coming from multiple sources now.  It was more than just the Gulbrands he had to worry about.  That, in and of itself, was setting him a bit on edge.

Anyone could tell just how jumpy Kysis was by seeing the well crafted sword hanging at his side, right hand always hovering close to the wire-wrapped hilt.  It was not that Kysis thought he would be attacked, and especially not in the bright of day.  He was just cautious.  There were a lot of good things in his life which had not come to a full manifestation yet, including his fiancé’s possible carrying of a child—his child.  That, and the wedding, the exhibition, and many other things he could not think of at the moment, especially not with his stomach grumbling again.

Kysis looked around the market as he walked, graceful but deliberate steps as he wove a path through the crowd.  It was nice to just observe things every so often, step out from behind his merchant’s desk and see everything like the people did.  It was a whole different point of view.  Kysis liked it.  It got his mind off things.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Lord Kysis Liari (Ένας πεσμένος ήρωας.),
Fenwick Baldor (Song, wine, and a bit of trouble),
Calista Liari (Θραύσματα Ομορφιά)

Reaver

Re: Wandering With Different Eyes
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 03:34:36 AM »
The knife slid easily through the soft grain of the wood, a sliver peeling away as Valdis carefully sculpted the shoulder of the carving. She had been up all morning working on this piece, something to pass the time as she waited. Waited for what, she wasn\'t sure, but something was bound to eventually happen in a city this size. It wasn\'t that she was bored. She was restless.

The carving fit comfortably in her hand, just a few inches in length. The horse\'s head was held low. It kind of reminded her of a bull, getting ready to charge. Another fine animal she would have to craft someday. It would be even better after Magnus got that book he had promised her, the one with a bunch of drawings a doctor had made while observing various animals in the wild. It was pricey, but she would find a way to pay him back.

Not many people stopped to watch her carve. Usually, it was larger pieces and she\'d be passing out whispered prices and details about the fine quality of the wood itself as she worked. Today, she just felt like relaxing. She hoped no guards passed by again, she had been considering joining them for awhile, and might yet. She just wasn\'t sure what sort of license she would need for selling her carvings. It wasn\'t often that she worked in the marketplace, anyways. Magnus usually sold the pieces for her and she would carve them outside of the city, where she could enjoy the cleansing air and scenery.

Pausing in her work to admire her efforts, she brushed the pile of slivers from her lap into a leather bag. The wood she was carving was a rich, dark red. Magnus told her it was from Dag\'s collection, something he had imported from the far South. She wasn\'t sure what was out that way, but the wood seemed pretty enough. It had a healthy glow to it when the sun hit it, and the water she had soaked it in was being retained quite well. She was curious about what the piece would look like after she finished and let it dry. She\'d have a few things left to do, finer details, but it would be worth the effort.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 04:05:19 AM »
Kysis saw a glint from the corner of his eye, gaze sliding over before he turned his head.  Flashes of metal normally meant trouble in Kreos, so he was quick to look, spotting the woman with her carving.  Interesting.  Kysis had never seen a woman carving wood.  Perhaps it was the seclusion and social pretenses of Kreos which shielded him from such things before, but it was because of that difference that his interest was peaked.

Turning nonchalantly, Kysis made his way towards the female carver, eyes constantly scanning the wood (very fine product, some of which was imported into Greece every so often for use in the newly rising cathedrals) to figure out what the figure would be.  He could see the arch of a medium-long neck, it looked muscular too.  Bulls had shorter necks than that, though Kysis had only seen one once, so he could never be sure.  That head, as vague as it was without the details yet, made Kysis think of a horse.  Perhaps.  The emerging shoulder reaffirmed his suspicions.

“Is it cherry wood or mahogany?” Kysis stopped five feet from her, close enough that his low voice could be heard without shouting, despite the clamor of the crowd.  Until the final polish was put on the piece, Kysis would not be able to tell which of the woods it was, but he was sure it would be one of the two.  Kysis had spent a lot of his youth in churches, while he was being tutored.  He recognized the woods used.  It was a very fine material.

What he wondered was if she had a sketch of a horse with her, or if she was going completely by memory.  If the latter, Kysis would be impressed.  However, he was too busy looking at that knife in her hands, trying to discern if it was from the local forge or elsewhere.  Kysis knew it was not of Liari make, the steel giving it away instantly.  However, it was good enough to do the carving.  Kysis was curious also if she had smaller tools for more precise cuts, precision work.  There were a few wood-workers back in Kreos who Kysis remembered as having a whole assortment of tools for different purposes.  This woman, whoever she was, seemed just as good as any of them with the singular knife he could see.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Reaver

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 04:18:59 AM »
Valdis jumped, eyes flashing widely as she realized the man was talking to her. People usually watched quietly or avoided her. This was certainly different. "I haven\'t t\'slightest clue as t\'what wood it might be, but it works wonderfully." It certainly did, too. With a little water to loosen the grains, the wood was easy to carve and shape.

She smiled disarmingly as she tucked the knife away in her pack, and balanced the carving on the palm of her hand. She still wasn\'t sure what the man was after, but from the distance he stopped at and the calm way he regarded her, he was either a cautious brigand or a smart lad. Either could be a fun way to pursue the afternoon, but she had a feeling he just wasn\'t that sort of person. She hid her frown well as she set the carving aside.

Rising to her feet stiffly, she stretched out a long morning of sitting. Her tone was warm as she continued speaking, "my friend got it fer\' me. \'e says it matched te\' personality of what I was meaning t\'carve. Horses are t\'being a fine thing t\'carve. A lot of spirit." She frowned as she felt one too many knots in her back, and stretched again to loosen it. "I\'ve gone and misplaced my drawin\' though. I suppose I like carvin\' from what I be seein\' anyways." She smiled disarminly again, barely holding back the twinkle in her eye. "Fraid I\'d frighten t\'horses if I tried to work in the stables though." She had certainly tried to, but it had been a difficult task sneaking in.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 05:41:13 AM »
No idea?  Most wood-workers were extremely proud of the material they worked on, or grumbled about it depending.  She was not a professional?  For not being in the field, she sure did a fine job of it.  The little figure was coming to life in her hands.  Kysis tried imagining what it might look like when finished, finding it easy to visualize what the rough figure might look like when done, but not if she added a lot more detail, like he at first thought she might.  Would she?  Kysis had no idea.

For jumping, she sure did cheer up fast.  Kysis did not even have a chance to apologize for scaring her.  He was quiet on his feet, as many people had complained about, though with her concentration on the wood, Kysis figured a fully armored guard could have walked up and scared her.  At least she seemed devoted to the subject.

“Horses are proud creatures.” Kysis nodded when she noted their spirit.  Among spirited horses was his own, Atropos, who had been a pain in the stable’s neck since he moved to Oberon.  From what he heard, making new recruits feed Atropos had become a real initiation rite in the stables, as well as a good prank.  It was humoring.  All the more because Kysis knew just how much Atropos would be irritated if the war horse could know.

Carving from what she sees: a lot of artists preferred it that way.  They believed the subject came out more true rather than distorted by memory or fantasy.  Kysis had to agree in some cases.  Others… the distortions could be quite humoring.

A blond brow cocked up in question, curiosity sparking in his mind.  Lost the drawing?  Well, how clumsy.  Her way of speaking reminded him of Ryanna in a way.  That had him not as stand-offish as he normally would be, more willing to offer a helping hand where he could.  There was absolutely no interest in the woman for more than her talent carving, of which Kysis was intrigued with.  Alia would have liked one of those carvings.  Or his mother, for that matter.  Her birthday was coming up, and he had yet to send something off to her.  Perhaps he could commission something?  If the girl proved good, though.  Kysis would have to see a finished piece before he decided on that.

“Scare the horses?  Maybe some of them.  Not all though.  My own horse is rather used to strange noises and weaponry.”  Kysis made a motion to the sword hanging at his side, his pride lately.  Well, one of them, the one he could show off.  Lam might get a bit… flustered (he wasn’t sure if that would be the word, but it sounded similar to what the Greek one would line up to) if he was going all pride and joy in public, after presenting himself so cool and calm that whole time.  Kysis normally was aloof, level headed, rather cold.  It was easy enough for him to keep it up (unless he kept thinking about Lam).

“I’m Kysis Liari.” Kysis took a cautious step forward, extending a hand to shake as was the custom in Oberon.  He could at least try to be nice, rather than completely detached.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Reaver

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 05:57:18 AM »
"Well, perhaps y\'could show me your horse sometime. That I might try to craft him." Smiling mischievously, she cocked her head to one side and blinked. "Although, if y\'horse is any near as mysterious as yourself, I might not be t\'havin\' t\'skill enough to craft \'is spirit."

Her eyes widened as she finally let her eyes settle on the sword, having ignored it up to this point. She had noticed that he was armed, but she had been too intent on the man himself to really note the quality of his finement. Liari. Magnus had mentioned this man.

Blinking again, her lips pursed together in a condensating frown. "A mysterious man with a fine\' crafted blade and business, who is t\'freely offerin\' \'is name. If only e\'eryone in this city crawled with as much personality as yourself. That would t\'being a fine time indeed." She chuckled, and picked a troublesome sliver of wood from her hair. "I hear your business produces t\'finest arms. I might t\'bein\' interested."

"I\'m Valdis Ragnhild." She gripped Kysis\' hand tightly, giving it a firm shake. It was a custom she wasn\'t quite used to. She prefered patting someone on the back and comparing blades, trading stories and clinking tankards of ale. Oberon was simply too refined for her.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 06:09:34 AM »
Ahhh, so she recognized who he was.  Kysis was missing the anonymity he had gotten when he first moved to Oberon.  Of course, with how well his business was doing in the city, and with who he was engaged to, remaining a random stranger would be impossible.  Kysis was now expected to attend noble functions, act and talk like a lord, all these things which still had his head spinning a bit.  He took a deep breath.

The firm handshake was reassuring, and Kysis quickly noticed her hands had the same callouses as one who uses a sword on a regular basis.  Kysis\' own hands were quite rough, his left one rather scarred up as well.  With the next exhibition coming up, Kysis was bound to knick his palm again in the process of practicing (hopefully not in front of the crowd this time).  No matter, at least not now.  This woman, Valdis, knew who he was.  Strange name.  It sounded foreign, not that he would really know, considering.  Kysis was foreign.

"Well, perhaps one day we can exchange a carving for a blade?"  Actually, that sounded like a good idea.  He could commission the piece he wanted, and give her a weapon from the shop as payment... Hmmm.  Perhaps.  Kysis liked keeping his personal funds and business funds separate though, so perhaps not.  They could work something out if it ever came up.

More than one thing was clicking in his head.  Since Kysis had just gotten back from an especially long ride, Atropos would be a lot calmer than if it was before.  Atropos, in such a state, would not mind a visitor.   Perhaps... or not, either way.  Valdis might be a busy woman, and Kysis could just be a gnat to her, in all reality.

He wasn\'t sure what else to say.  Conversations were still a bit awkward.  Kysis had never been a people person anyway.  So, he decided to leave it at that.  He could bring up Atropos\' mood if she decided to continue their discussion?  It must have looked odd, since they broke hands, Kysis standing at a good distance of a few feet again.  It was a bubble, his personal bubble, of which he planned to keep intact.  Shaking hands was still a big stretch for him.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Reaver

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 07:16:12 AM »
Valdis winked and tossed the carving up in the air, catching it deftly as she spoke. "I don\'t think my carvings would be t\'amounting to a sword. A good blade makes t\'craft." Pulling her knife out again, she twirled it and rolled it across the back of her hand, catching it by the handle. "E\'er piece I be makin\' is worked with the care of a sharp mind an\' sharp blade."

She held the blade out a little to show Kysis the tip. It curled back on itself, with a notch in the back side. "Made it special fer\' various work. You be wantin\' coin fer\' your craft lad. I wouldn\'t be lettin\' you walk away with one of my hunks of wood when I could better show you how to be makin\' one." Normally she would have leapt at the opportunity, but she wanted to make a good impression with this Kysis Liari. Building a reputation as a craftsperson would excell if they heard it from him. Building a reputation as the craftsperson you wanted to buy from, took something more. If they saw that she had skill and kindness, they might try to take advantage of her and buy her goods for well-under price. Except, that Magnus and Dag had both taught her a great deal about the merchant business. They\'d walk away with a piece of her work, and a far lighter purse. They\'d do it again, too.

"If y\'aren\'t busy, I\'d like to be seeing those famous blades of yours. I can\'t be buying at t\'moment, but it never hurts t\'look. No?" She purred, smile warming her face affectionately. Her passion for blades outlived carving any day. Of course, she\'d still find the chance to try and sell one of her carvings to Kysis. This was a chance she simply couldn\'t pass up.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 07:29:58 AM »
Well, if she was going to be so modest, Kysis could respect that.  It was a sign of dignity on her part.  That was a rarity, as Kysis had noticed from meeting with fellow merchants.  Very few had the integrity Valdis just showed.  So, definitely not a professional.  That was fine.  Kysis kept a close eye on that blade when she pulled it back up, always weary of a weapon in the area.  He had not been around her anywhere near enough to even be remotely comfortable around her with a blade in her hands.  So, the keen sapphire eyes kept locked on that blade, taking note of it when she held it towards him.

The design of the blade looked like it would be great for skinning a catch after the hunt, but he supposed it could have various uses.  Kysis was not familiar with all types of knives.  Swords were more his type.  Kysis could tell most swords blindfolded by just holding them and feeling the distribution of weight.  It was a honed skill he had.  Very honed.

Rather than telling her how he would never have the time to make something like that, much less learn, he just listened quietly, one hand hanging comfortably at his side, the other resting lightly on the quillion and the bottom of his sword’s hilt.  It was a habit, not a feeling of threat.  Kysis was always ready.  His gait alone could alert someone of that (if they had a trained eye, like a guard would).

“Of course, the shop.”  Kysis had really not wanted to go in the shop today, but that was life.  He would have to stop in some time anyway, so why not?  Motioning for her to follow, Kysis led the way, weaving through the crowd and to the store front.  He opened the door and allowed her to pass through first, before entering himself.  Rico was sitting behind the counter, and perked up for a moment before sighing and slumping over the ledger again.  Ryanna was gone again?  Strange. “Any weapon preference?”  There were all sorts of morsels up for display, and if Kysis was walking in a store like it, he would be like a kid in a candy shop.  There were exotics and normal swords and spears and maces and flails alike, including the arc-bladed flail that was another of his prides.  Kysis was planning quite the exhibition, ending with it again.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Reaver

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 07:49:39 AM »
Valdis had slung her pack over her shoulder as soon as he said it, and the carving and knife dissapeared again. She kept a respectful distance, mindful of how far he had put himself when they were speaking before. He hadn\'t seemed very interested in the knife, so she wondered if he was very familiar with wood carving or not. She assumed not. If anything, that could help her out with selling him a piece.

She only had a few finished works with her, the smallest the size of a ring, and the largest the size of her two fists held together. They weren\'t her best work, but they had both been time consuming. Considering that he owned a horse and seemed to respect them, he might be interested in the larger piece. It was a pair of horses, side by side, obviously wild and charging. Crafted from a wood that was nearly black, she was surprised she hadn\'t sold the piece yet. Exotic woods seemed popular here.

That would wait, though. She\'d spring that surprise on him when she could. Magnus told her time after time that the perfect sale was struct at just the right moment.

Following him into his shop, she paused in the doorway and felt her jaw drop a little. The selection was stunning. The quality looked magnificant. "Truth told lad, I\'m t\'best being interested in slender swords. I\'ve a good long one, that yearns for a smaller, balancing mate." A short sword would suit her well, and wouldn\'t be as expensive as some of the heavier pieces. At least, that was what she hoped. She wondered if any of the other mercenaries had been through to make purchases. Magnus for sure, it was how he had met this man. Sigvald wouldn\'t buy a blade for his life. He hated the idea of killing.

"Like I said, I can\'t be t\'buying right now." She shuffled her feet a little, doing her best not to pout. She had to look somewhat profesional, and she knew she was failing miserably. Her eyes did lock on the arc-bladed flail for sometime. Her opinion of the man was rising alarmingly. A pity he wasn\'t more friendly, and the rumors about the captain... Again, she went through a fit of wanting to pout, but hid it behind a wide smile that showed the whites of her teeth.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 07:59:11 AM »
A short sword?  Not too heavy?  There were a few like it, some with thinner blades, some made in like with a Roman sword, a spatha.  Perhaps she would be interested in looking at it, at least?  The spatha had cost no more for the forge in Kreos to make, though the price was higher because it was considered as exotic.  Kysis could lower the price considerably without any problems, if she was at all interested.

“That is perfectly fine.  It is always good to look before buying.”  Kysis walked swiftly over to the racks that held swords, pulling out one with a tapering blade that ended in a sharp point, great for thrusting, though not too much for cutting.  The taper of the blade made it so the harder one thrusted, the bigger the wound would be.  Valdis did not seem like a rapier type, so he did not bother pointing them out.  Only nobles seemed interested in them.

“Here is one.  Do you prefer slashing or thrusting?” Kysis tested the weighting of the sword in his left hand, nodding to himself before flipping it over and offering the hilt to Valdis, hand careful on the blade.  All the pieces (that were bladed) were very, very sharp, as Kysis had noticed the hard way more than once.  He had tried catching a sword Ryanna dropped once, slicing his hand up good.  It was the already scarred up side as well, so it did not help any.

“There is also a Roman spatha over by the case.  It is a touch heavier, but small and good for both slash and thrust.”  Kysis was thinking, trying to figure out what would be best.  He could not tell much about Valdis’ fighting style yet, a pity.  Was she a mercenary?  Hmmm, maybe…

He would ask that question later.  For now, he would concentrate on being a good businessman than paranoid.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Reaver

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 08:10:30 AM »
"I be t\'prefering t\'let my longsword do the slashing lad. A good stab with an offhand weapon \'as always served me well, but I\'ve never been \'aving a fine weapon to keep for that role." She took the sword gently, making sure to keep her eyes locked on the man\'s. He was definitely seasoned. Paranoia like that served every soldier well. Now was he a soldier, or some sort of guard? The question churned her gut, as dark memories stirred. Best to not find out.

The craftsmanship was fine, and the design would serve her well. She had heard of the spatha though, and was curious about that piece. Multi-use weapons were of far more use in battle than a single-use weapon. This one seemed sharp enough for a slash, but the design seemed too rigid. It really depended on price. She didn\'t need an offhand weapon. Want was more the key word there.

"I would love t\'see te\' spatha. I\'ve heard good things about it." She did her best not to giggle with delight, and repremanded herself for not greeting the person behind the counter. Hopefully no one noticed her slip of manners. Magnus\'s mother Carina always did have trouble teaching her those. The lessons simply never stuck. Not when Magnus had been studying weapontry and sharing the knowledge with her.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 01:13:40 PM »
“This one can slash at very close range, but does not have the thickness of blade to withstand a slash from more distance, or if there is armor.” Kysis took the short sword back from her, putting it back on its velvet lined holder.  Then, he lead the way to the counter, glad to see Rico was already pulling out a spatha, doing a final polish on it with a cloth as they approached.  Kysis flashed Rico a smile, one that showed a bit deeper in the eyes.  To the general observer, it might seem a bit odd, though it was completely explainable to anyone that knew them.  They had been friends since childhood, after all.

This is the spatha.” Kysis took the sword, short with curves wider at the end and thinner close to the quillion, and a fat but effective point.  The hilt was wrapped in fine leather, an intricate weave.  Kysis offered this one forward as well, flat of the blade resting across his arm, hilt jutted forward to Valdis.  It was exciting, being able to show weaponry to someone who would actually know what they were doing.  That did not happen very often.

That, and Kysis had been aching for a spar all day, having done his morning warm-up routine without actual one-on-one practice, which lead to such a long ride with Atropos.  Of course, Kysis could get in his spar later that day.  Rico was always ready, and seemed even more eager to please than usual.

“You haven’t introduced me yet?” Rico leaned over the counter a little, giving Valdis an inquisitive look.  She was an attractive woman, though not Rico’s type.  If Kysis was not already taken, Rico was sure the lord would have been interested in the blond.  Warrior women were non-existent in Kreos, after all. “Rico Licosa, Retainer to the Lord Liari.  It is a pleasure to meet you, Miss.”
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Reaver

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 01:58:22 PM »
Valdis nodded as she accepted Kysis\' explanation, and idly watched Rico hand off the Spatha. It took her sometime to realize that he had introduced himself, and wide-eyed once again she held out her hand to shake, disdaining the proffered sword in Kysis\' grasp. "I\'m Valdis Ragnhild. I\'m surprised Kysis was not t\'introducing you. Shame on him." She winked up at Kysis before giving up on the handshake, too eager to examine the spatha. "My apolagies Rico, but the blades calls t\'me." She managed another wink for his sake, even idly resting her weight on one leg to let her hip rest a moment.

She took the spatha slowly and once again kept her eyes on Kysis\' own. No sense in exciting the poor boy. He seemed to be having a fine time with this though. She wondered how long he had been selling weapons. "Isn\'t to bein\' too heavy. Not t\'prettiest thing I\'ve seen, all the more reason t\'be lovin\' it." She flashed her teeth in a grin, and nodded her approval. "After I go t\'find out if I can charm and fight my way into t\'guards, then I might be t\'having the coin to buy something from you Kysis." She made sure to use his name, to draw in his full attention.

If she was going to set the hook, now was the best chance. Before she started drooling over the blades. "An\' if I don\'t get in, my carvings fetch me a pretty." She hefted her bag as she returned the sword to Kysis\' grip carefully. She made sure the weight of the carvings could present itself without letting the pieces escape their rolls of cloth and harm each other.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 03:10:58 AM »
A slight dusting of pink showed on Kysis\' cheeks, but nothing more of a blush was visible, the young lord concentrating on watching the spatha and being sure it remained safe.  If a noble ended up buying one of the three spathas (all unique) they had, Kysis knew they would more than make up for any discount they could give Valdis.  Of course, if Valdis was waiting on an opportunity with the guard, it might take a bit.  From what he had heard, they were not inducting new guards at the moment.  Kysis hoped that worked out for her.

It was interesting that she kept saying his name, if a bit odd.  Most people only said it when they had to, since it was a bit out of their usual range of sounds.  Of course, Kysis was already certain of Valdis being new to Oberon, from somewhere other than the keep city.  That constant use of his name made his earlier question come up again, and this time he really had to ask it.

"You wouldn\'t have happened to come to Oberon with the Gulbrand mercenary group, perhaps?"  Kysis took back the spatha, handing it swiftly over to Rico who put it back to place.  Rico had a smirk on his face and was watching Valdis like there was nothing else in the world.  If he knew Rico at all, Kysis knew what he was thinking, and it wasn\'t happening.  Kysis made a mental note to let Rico have it later, in sparring form, that is.  It would be fun to wail on him with a sword for an hour or so.  Very fun.  Especially if he was getting ideas like Kysis thought the sneaky Retainer was.

"Captain Wilson is going to flay your hide."  Rico kept his smirk, darting a glance towards Kysis before looking back to Valdis again, dropping her a wink back.

"What?  I can\'t talk to females anymore?"  Kysis shot the Retainer a glare, rolling his eyes. "I could just send you back to Greece."

"I didn\'t say a word, Lord Liari."  Rico gave a mocking part-bow on his stool, flipping through the ledger before him and pretending to be interested in it.  The glances he kept darting back up at Valdis showed he was not even paying any attention to the ledger.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Reaver

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 06:03:11 AM »
Valdis smiled sweetly, lips pursing together as she purred, "What e\'er was to givin\' that away?" She winked at Rico again, her suspicions about the captain and one Lord Liari confirmed. Not surprising, but a dissapointment for her. This Rico seemed too, happy?

"I\'m pretty much t\'being Magnus\' sister." Valdis blinked. "Y\'don\'t go worrin\' that he\'s after your business. Magnus is t\'being a good man. Nothing like that vile brother of \'is." Pouting, she planted her hands on her lips and did her best puppy-dog eye impression. "I\'ve been to hearin\' all sorts of paranoid stories, and don\'t you go not speakin\' te\' a fine lady like myself o\'er it."

She did finally nod and give up the cute act, however. "One of Magnus\' top officers. An\' not just for bein\' his near sister. I carved myself my rank lad." She smiled sweetly again, but with out as much flair. She also couldn\'t help but itch for a fight around so many fine weapons.

"I\'d like t\'be meetin\' this captain Wilson of yours." Valdis murmered, admiration dripping from her tone. "Any gal who can be threatenin\' a lad like yourself must be somethin\'. A drinkin\' partner if she\'s able and willin\'."

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 12:17:51 PM »
Kysis sighed, wishing Rico would just be a good little Retainer and stay out of it.  That would likely not happen, ever, especially with their past history.  Which was entirely his own fault.  Damn.  Kysis could not hold back a smile when Valdis mentioned wanting to meet the Captain, a little twinkle sparking in his eyes as well.  Whatever rumors Valdis had heard about Lam and Kysis, they were probably true (well, except for the one Lady Blake was spreading about Kysis being no more than a bed ornament and a screwtoy).  The King knew about the engagement, so Kysis was sure word of it had spread rather quickly.

However, Kysis had to hold back his excitement and keep his mind on track.  Nothing about the wedding was set in stone yet, not even the date.  He had to keep calm until then.  So, taking a deep breath, Kysis tried removing his smile but failed miserably, its still tugging up the sides of his lips.

"Well, if you are around the Guardhouse much, you will be bound to see her sometime.  Have you met anyone around there yet?"  Some interesting characters.  That last part went unsaid, as Kysis did not want to be rude.  Lieutenant Frederickson was one of those interesting characters, who could be a pain in the ass at times and very helpful at others.  Getting the permit for the sword at his side had been like pulling teeth.  Kysis would rather not recall the event.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Reaver

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 12:32:29 PM »
Valdis smiled innocently. "Y\'two boys are t\'being the first two interestin\' people I\'ve met in Oberon. Sort of." She certainly wasn\'t going to mention Ryanna to Lord Liari. If Ryanna ever mentioned meeting Valdis, grand. Otherwise, she wanted nothing linking her to Ryanna\'s ongoing plans. Just another coincidence, right?

She was planning on stopping by the guardhouse soon, perhaps within the week. She wasn\'t sure about it, though. Guards had rules. Soldiers had orders. Mercenaries just got told who they would be paid to kill. Anything extra was simply business. Sure, she didn\'t want to go around killing everything. Just a few fights would be nice. Guard life, though? She had done that duty several times on their campaigns, even commanding the camp guards at times, and it was dull. Bearable with good company, and if they offered constant training she might be fine. Or drinks.

"O\'course, if y\'d like t\'be goin\' and introducin\' this fine gal to anyone, please do." She winked again just for extra measure, and glanced at the counter. "I\'ll tell y\'know, the spatha is t\'lookin\' fine t\'me. I\'ll be t\'getting one from you one way or another." She murmered warmly. "On one condition."

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 12:40:54 PM »
Rico was interesting?  Perhaps it was just Kysis\' opinion, but he was rather irritated and fed up with Rico.  Yes, they had been friends for forever, and lovers a few times, but that hardly made him interesting.  Bah.  Kysis completely cleared that chain of thoughts from his mind, trying to concentrate on deciphering what Valdis was saying.  If it weren\'t for Ryanna\'s terrible English, Kysis might not have understood a word that came from Valdis\' mouth.  He missed Greek.  It was far more straight forward than English, and the slang was all the same, from Kreos to Athens to Crete.

One way or another?  Today was getting stranger and stranger, moment by moment.  Every time Valdis said something.  It was nice to know Valdis did not work with that wretch, Dag, but still.  She was a mercenary.  Was she hinting at something?

"Condition?  Like what?"

A condition to her getting a sword made Kysis worry.  What kind of condition?  Why was she making conditions to purchases?  What was even going on for that matter?  Kysis was not all that sure, but he asked anyway.  Better know than be blindsided later, right?  Right.  That Kysis was sure of.  Rico was watching Valdis again, seeming to be intrigued by the statement of a condition.  Rico was always looking for a way to get Kysis away from Lam, so it was no surprise the ingrate was taking such a particular interest in Valdis.  But it wouldn\'t work.  Rico should just give up already.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Reaver

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 12:49:29 PM »
Valdis wagged a finger at Kysis, pursing her lips again. "Hasty \'asty." Tugging her pack off her shoulder, she reached in and pulled out one of the bundles, thick cloth masking the twin-horse carving within. It balanced precariously on her palm, easily twice the size. "The condition is t\'being this." Tilting her head to one side slightly, she paused to make sure he was listening. "Y\'must look at one of my carvins\', an\' be tellin\' me what y\'are to b\'thinking of it."

It was her last chance to bait him into a purchase. Perhaps even spark his interest for a future sale. After this she had, perhaps a small chance with Rico, and after that, she would have to find a price for her piece in the market. Perhaps the next day. A pity she couldn\'t spend the night convincing the pair. Chuckling, she held the carving out for Kysis to take, eyes wide an expectant. It was one of her finer pieces, but she wasn\'t sure what sort of quality Oberon boasted. She hadn\'t been here long enough, even with some of her sales done with.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 12:09:08 AM »
Immediately Kysis was curious when she started pulling something out, watching carefully as the piece was balanced on her hand.  Wow.  Kysis blinked a few times, turning his head just slightly to the right as he looked at it.  It was great carving, and lovely wood.  In fact, Kysis could not place what kind of wood it was, peeking his interest even more.

“It’s amazing.  How much would such a piece cost?”

He was asking because he really wanted to know.  The two horses reminded him of Atropos and Captain.  Kysis could remember when those two horses first ended up together, they had been extremely competitive, would not let one get ahead of the other.  It was like a pissing contest, the whole time he and Lam were trying to have a nice, relaxing ride.  It really reminded him of those two horses, and Kysis wondered if Lam might like something like that.  Kysis knew his mother would hate it, so he would have to figure something else for her, but that was not a problem.  There was a good glass-blower in Oberon who might have some delicate piece his mother like find more to her taste.

Kysis was calculating how much he thought, but was still clueless about the trade, so he stopped pondering that which he had no idea of.  Well, Lam had liked that glass prism he gave her, so perhaps… Or he could just get it as a decoration to replace some of what Alia had put up.  Seeing her glass flower arrangements now was still a touch too painful, that wound still sensitive.  She had been buried not long ago.  Yes, it would do, for either purpose he decided.  Just how much?
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Reaver

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 07:48:42 AM »
Valdis struggled between frowning and smiling. She was proud of her work and Kysis\' interest, but wasn\'t really sure of the price. She hadn\'t expected him to leap to that. "Piece like this is usually t\'feedin\' me a week." She let her shoulders droop a bit, relaxing her back and trying to work the tension out of her body. It was fustrating to not have an exact idea on the Oberon economy. Was that the right word? Magnus used it all the time.

"I wouldn\'t be t\'asking much though. I\'ve plenty coin, and I like you. Men like yourself are t\'being rare, hard to catch too." Valdis winked at Kysis, although the sentiment was obviously just a compliment. She had lost interest in him the moment Rico confirmed the stories about the captain. That line of thought sparked another idea, and she nearly dropped the carving. "Your gettin\' married."

Looking intently at the piece, she leaned on one leg again. "Be naming a price. Y\'get a discount (again, she wondered if it was the right word), I won\'t steal coins from a man who\'ll be t\'needin\' them." She wagged a finger at Kysis, condensating frown barely holding back a grin. "An don\'t be goin\' and saying you can\'t be doing that. I\'ve more than enough coin to be filling my stomach this week and that piece has gone unsold awhile."

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 10:50:33 PM »
Was she suggesting--- Kysis decided to ignore her saying he would need the coin more than her.  He doubted it.  Especially with how much she said the piece would normally cost.  Either way, he decided not to take offense.  Valdis was just trying to be nice.  If it was a noble of Oberon, or a full out merchant who said such a thing, Kysis definitely would be offended.  Name a price though?

And what the hell was that about rare and hard to catch?  Was he that strange looking?  Kysis glanced over at Rico, seeing that the Retainer was having trouble holding back laughter.  Rico was biting his lip and straining a little not to burst out laughing.  Ass.  Kysis looked back at the piece, eyes scanning over the details.

It would be nice.  Kysis tried figuring out how much food for a week would be.  Being that he did not buy his own food, it would be a hard calculation, and he refused to even talk to Rico at the moment.  Would five gold make him sound desperate for a gift?  Oh, Kysis did not care.

“You are an artist.  Take some pride in your talent, which others do not have.  I would say… five gold.” Kysis glanced to Rico again, who was blinking.  Alright, maybe it was a bit high, but Kysis could definitely afford it.  He did own a city in Greece, after all.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Reaver

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 05:22:44 AM »
Valdis blinked, mentally noting that she had preserved her dignity and kept her jaw in check. Did he say five gold? The most she had recieved on any piece was two, and it was twice as large as this one. A gold coin could keep her fed a week, two could keep her fed and drunk. A third might get her a new book, maybe she could even pay for that one Magnus was going to pick up. What would she even do with the last two? Wood was easy enough to get when Magnus simply had people back at the estate search their stock or get it from his network of previous employers. Even if that failed, she could make a plea case to Dag and get something from his merchants for cheap, simply to shut her up.

Realizing that she had to say something, and before she did lose control of her jaw, she blinked again and took a deep breath. "That\'s t\'being too much m\'lord. Call it three (the most she figured she could bring herself to spend, anyways) and ye\'d be t\'having yourself a new carving." It was still more than she would normally accept, but she couldn\'t use the marriage plea twice, it would seem like she was calling him on being more in need of coin (which she doubted, the man had his own shop, after all) and he did make the offer.

Didn\'t merchants try to get their prices as high as possible? She had to hold her breath to keep from laughing at the irony of it all.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 12:46:47 PM »
A platinum brow arched up, Kysis glancing from the carving back to Valdis. "One merchant to another, you never haggle down your own price." A laugh followed his rather serious words. "If you do, the customer might think you know of a flaw they cannot see, and not want to buy at all.  Lucky for you, I am as new at this as you are, and will overlook that slip."

Kysis went back to staring at the carving, smiling quietly to himself.  His mind was not on the piece, in all reality, not that anyone outside his brain would be able to tell.  Kysis was thinking of Lam, of the baby, happy things of that sort.  Lately his mind had not been straying to Alia\'s death so much.  It still hurt when he thought of it, but the pain was starting to dull.

Two horses, like Atropos and Captain... Kysis nodded. "Take my damn gold and stop bitching.  Seriously." Kysis loosened the stings on his purse, opening it up, tips of his left hand fingers brushing against the gold pieces in there.  No silver found its way into his purse, or copper (ever).  On a few occasions he ended up with a gem or two, Kysis having no clue how he got them, but it worked well as currency as well.  The fan Kysis had purchased from Lady Maracatte for Alia\'s birthday was paid for in gems.  She didn\'t mind.

But it was just gold today, Kysis picking out the five coins of it, offering them out in his hand.  Rico sighed from behind the counter, staring at Kysis.  The young lord had always been stubborn.  Anyone who had been around the Liari family knew that fact well.  Very stubborn.  That, and Kysis was used to getting his way.  Being noble (and owning a town) had that effect.  Rico tried ignoring it, as the thought only irritated him more.

"She doesn\'t seem like the type to like pretty things."

"I\'m the one who\'s marrying her, not you Rico.  I would know." Kysis snapped back immediately, not even looking at Rico.  As far as Kysis was concerned, Rico could go to Hades in a hand-basket.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Reaver

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 01:31:38 PM »
Valdis laughed, slipping the five coins into a concealed pouch. She had no trouble taking money if that was the way Kysis wanted things. After all, he gesture at reducing the offered price was one of respect, and it would be disrespectful to return any of the coins at this point. She\'d just have to be sure to purchase a sword from him sometime.

Speaking with a wink, she passed the carving over, along with the soft cloth it had been wrapped in. "A man who\'s t\'having his way, ought to be careful that he knows where he\'s going. You seem t\'being a man with both well taken care of." Gaze slipping along the walls to gather in all the points and edges, she let a whistle out between her teeth and shrugged. "I\'ll definitely be t\'buying a piece from you sometime, I just need t\'be finding my own path first lad."

Nodding to the carving, and ignoring the tension between Kysis and Rico, "Just be sure t\'be telling people who made that. A gal always likes pretty things, whether she admits it or not, and a guy always likes a pretty girl. Lucky for my customers, I\'m t\'being a pretty gal they can gawk at as they lose their jaws and coins to get pretty things for their darlins\'."

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 11:38:57 AM »
The winking was throwing him off.  Kysis was confused by it, but he probably shouldn’t have been.  Lam had opened his eyes to a lot of things, and once he remembered that, it did not seem so strange.  People winked and were friendly.  Some people were just naturally flirty, like Rico, for instance.  Rico flirted with people without even realizing he was, but Kysis had written it off as part of his charismatic personality.

However, Valdis did have a good shred of wisdom there, Kysis cracking a smile at that.  He did know where he was going, and was sure of his footing in going there.  Nothing had come up to jar him from his path yet, so Kysis remained confident that nothing would.  It was that confidence which allowed him to keep his head up during his whole conversation, hair out of his face, eyes determined and sure, voice measured and clear.  A few months prior Kysis had just seemed aloof, closed off, quiet.  Now there was a completely different presentation.

And that last part drew a laugh, short but real.  Kysis could not help it.  It seemed Valdis had had a little confidence boost of her own, which would be good for her business.  So, Kysis decided to deliver a bit more of his recently gained mercantile knowledge to her, for her own betterment in business.  However, he could not get his eyes off the carving, now in his hands, as he spoke. “The market you are looking at in Oberon is the nobles, as they are the ones looking for decorations for their manors.  A high price can draw their interest just as keenly as a pretty piece.” Kysis nodded at this.  It was stupid, the local nobles confused him, but that was how it went. “Nobles like to brag about how expensive their décor is, so definitely set the prices high.  You won’t scare their coin away.”

That was the most he could really give, in the business sense.  Kysis was interested in some day selling her a sword, if she was still interested.  If her business caught on, she would definitely be well financed enough to afford one of the nicer blades.

“I suggest you seek out a woman named Lystra Maracatte.  She is a noble and might be interested in commissioning a piece.  She actually ordered a metal sculpture from me, despite the fact my forge does not specialize in those things.”
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Reaver

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 06:49:18 AM »
Valdis nodded, slowly. Nobles tended to be foolish like that. The lord residing over them in Norway had spent his entire fortune on his mansion. When it burned down the next year, nobody could tell him. He had died of starvation.

At least some nobles were intelligent enough to save some coin for the necessities. Considering the prices she had seen on some of the wines and other products about, the nobles were both rich and in the very least, of some intelligence.

"Thankin\' you for that bit of information then lad." Valdis said with a purr, ideas bubbling behind her glittering eyes. "I might be t\'having a bit of fun with these nobles." She had no clue what she would do if she actually sold a piece for that much; she had little use for coin. Considering Kysis was giving her the advice, she figured he wanted her to buy a sword. That she would do. Perhaps more. Would he have shields? She shrugged the idea off, something to worry about later when she actually had the coins.

Valdis perked up at that name. It wasn\'t familiar to her, so she\'d have to run it by Magnus to see if he or his network could find anything about her. If Kysis knew her, she could be someone to use against Dag. Possibly. Or perhaps entice Weiss to keep him occupied once he arrived.

Commission? another word she\'d have to have Magnus define for her.

She kept the grin off of her face and chose a simple, sweet smile as she spoke, "Exactly the kind of noble I should be t\'looking for, I suppose. Purchasing goods I don\'t even make, could get me a pretty coin on specialty." Simply tell Lystra that what she wanted was special (especially if Valdis had no clue how to make it, or simply never tried to before) and that she needed to invest in the best tools and supplies for the purchase. "Would be nice to b\'seeing my carvings sell more."

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2008, 10:28:36 PM »
Kysis returned what smile he could, considering how Rico was looking at him, that was rather hard.  The young Retainer\'s lips were pulled into a mock frown, his leaning over the counter with elbow planted, chin in his hand.  Rico\'s eyes were laughing, which was what bothered Kysis.  What the hell was so funny?  Kysis tried ignoring the Retainer, otherwise it would sour his mood.  He had been in a good mood lately, so no need to make it ill all of a sudden.  Damn Rico.

"I am glad I could help." With that statement Kysis nodded, glancing down at the carving again, wondering.   Perhaps...  Hmm, yes, that sounded like a very interesting idea. "If ever you want, you can set up your carving in front of my shop.  I know some merchants get angry if someone does business in front of them, of if someone is doing business without a permit for the spot they are using, but honestly, any more eyes drawn to this place is welcome."

That was not the only reason Kysis offered her the ability to use the rather large space Kysis had permit to in front of his shop.  Kysis\' shop was already rather well known, and with the exhibition soon to come, it would become even better known.  If Valdis had any intentions of staying in Oberon for an extended period of time, she would definitely be needing the coin that setting up there, where people looking for odd things already went, would give her a fighting chance at that coin.

However, Kysis kept that reasoning to himself.  He had noticed the momentary blankness at the mention of commission, a word he, himself, had learned not too long ago (the English version at least.  He had known the Greek one for a while).  Enough business talk though.  Kysis was sure she could get a good tutoring from Magnus (or Dag) anyway.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Reaver

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 11:51:18 AM »
Valdis grinned and did her best to restain from leaping onto Kysis. Neither he or his retainer would likely... well, actually. His retained might find that amusing. Her spot in the markets at the moment, was only available when it\'s rightful owner wasn\'t about. "I would be t\'loving to set up there. Thank you Kysis." Valdis said with a short, polite bow. She wasn\'t sure how else to thank him.

Quickly moving on with a renewed grin, "I\'ll t\'being sure the space is kept tidy and doesn\'t disturb your shop any." Considering how famous Lord Liari was, it would certainly be of benefit to her to have her wares available nearby, and her efforts displayed as well. She wondered if she could even slip a carving into Kysis\' actual shop... for... display purposes.

Holding back a giggle, something she rarely did and couldn\'t quite understand why she was so ready to, she clasped her hands behind her and shifted her weight, leaning on her other leg. "So master Gulbrand," sarcasm barely held in restraint, "hasn\'t been t\'giving you much trouble, has he?" A mischievous grin split her lips to bare teeth. Dag had crafted the fine sword she had packed away with her stuff, but the man himself was a egotist with little to have an ego for.