Author Topic: Misery Loves Company  (Read 19637 times)

Offline Mandy

• VIP
  • Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Misery Loves Company
« on: March 27, 2008, 07:46:41 AM »
She didn`t know why she was doing it, for truly - it made scarcely any sense at all. In fact, Mandy was so bewildered by the unexpected nature of her decision, that all she could do was stare in silence as the phone droned methodically in the palm of her hand. Why? Why was she calling him? Was she really such a glutton for heartache and pain, or was there something seriously wrong with her inside?

Maybe she was broken?

Chewing her bottom lip, she gazed numbly toward a clock on Barry`s wall; judging by the elegant hands that the timing was more than likely fine. 9:26pm. Surely Kerr would be awake by now… and Ben.

Mandy shivered as the force of Ben`s name rolled like a thunderclap through her already tormented mind, completely unaware that the two had parted ways little over a week before, and this – the very night her fragile ties with Ichabod had forever been changed. In truth, it never even occurred to her that the vampires might have parted ways. The very idea just seemed so alien, so… foreign. Especially after hearing Kerr profess his undying love for Ben less than a day before they swept away to Europe. And yet, despite this inescapable fact, she wanted desperatly to hear the Irishman’s voice again - even at the risk of angering his sneaky lover.

With the way her luck was running lately, Ben was sure to answer Kerr`s cell.

Hugging her left arm tightly about her waist (a familiar set of key`s hidden in her grasp), Mandy brought the ringing handset to her ear and took in a settling breath of air; a prepared speech about how she`d neglected to return his property so many weeks before, being the basis for her call. Anything to talk to him again, no matter how pathetic she knew it would seem. She just needed to hear a friendly voice...
Infusco: Mandy Lynn, Heather Sykes, Gabriel "Gabe"
The Savage Islands: Trey Hunt

"Man is the only creature that blushes... or has reason to." (Paraphrase)
- Mark Twain

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Misery Loves Company
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 08:11:40 PM »
Kerr rolled listlessly forward on the couch, picking up the phone ringing on the coffee table in front of him almost fearfully and looking warily at the display window. He expected to see \'Home\' written there, as it usually was, whenever it had rung over the past week. Thankfully, Ben wasn\'t ringing every half an hour like he had been at first - because it hurt him every time he had to push the red button and hang up without speaking to him at all - but he was still calling.

With a vague stirring of emotion that was akin to surprise (if it could be bothered working itself up to that level), he noticed that the phone wasn\'t being rung by Ben at all, but by \'Unknown\' instead. Someone he didn\'t know was calling him, which meant it could be an auction house, an independent agent or even the real estate agent he\'d bought his new house from. Unless Ben was just getting smart and not calling from home now.

The vampire mulled it over for a few moments, staring at the ringing, vibrating machine as if it was an alien recently arrived from its home planet. It was very hard for him to think beyond his current situation to actually care who might be calling, but he debated it nevertheless.

It was funny what the difference a broken heart could make to things, such as making simple decisions. It impaired judgment, too. The first place Kerr had turned the night he\'d left Ben in a fury of confusion and melting emotions had been his sire. Given that the prior two times he\'d intereacted with Sawyl, he\'d ended up with his brains scrambled and his head almost cut off, it could be stated that this was a really stupid decision.

Surprisingly, Sawyl had welcomed him and not pushed him too hard to talk when he\'d crumpled into a sobbing ball upon his old bed. The entire family had come to listen to what had happened - they hadn\'t even ripped it out of his head without invitation - and offered hugs of soothing. The twins had retreated but Wyl had stayed with him through the remainder of the night and the day, holding him as best his pudgy little hands and arms could.

It was only during the second night it got awkward, when Sawyl allowed Kerr\'s leaving Ben to go to his head and started telling Kerr what a good thing it was and how they could all go back to Europe together, to reclaim the way they had been. It was too much for the Irishman to handle; he kissed his sire\'s forehead, hugged his fledglings and went off to find somewhere to be by himself. His heart hurt too much to contemplate leaving the city Ben was in immediately (plus, there was a sick comfort in knowing that his love wished to make amends with him and was still calling) and he knew it was a mistake to walk down that road with Sawyl and the twins again.

It seemed that every door had shut and he needed to do some serious reassessing.

That second night, he\'d walked into a real estate agent that was closer to the coastal side of the city and told them that he wanted to buy a house near the ocean and he didn\'t have a limited budget. He was given exclusive treatment and shown everything he didn\'t want. In desperation, he was taken to a property they hadn\'t been able to move for months, at around midnight, and that was the one he\'d bought on the spot.

It wasn\'t the prettiest house any more, he had to admit it. Access to it was limited - you had to drive down a long, steep road that had rock wall edges and would barely allow two cars to pass one another - and it couldn\'t be seen from the road due to the overgrown forest that surrounded it. It was four levels but a sprawling beast of an abode, because it was actually cut into a steep cliff face that presided over a restles bit of ocean (restless because of the rocks the waves were constantly shattering on, below). There was a small, secluded beach that was also part of the property, a short distance away, but the stairs that led down to it were unsafe at best.

No-one in their right mind would\'ve paid the two million dollars they were asking for it... but Kerr wasn\'t in his right mind at the time. He bought it, knowing that its delapidated condition could easily be fixed by his skilled hands and that that would give him something to occupy himself with. He\'d had brand new furniture delivered - including new, thick curtains to block the enormous windows that surrounded the place, affording it a two hundred degree panoramic view - and the electricity and phone connected... but that was pretty much it. The past two nights had seen him slothing about on the couch or in the bed (he\'d bought a coffin too, for he didn\'t trust the curtains and the winds and he certainly wasnt going to board up such enormous windows) and the days in his coffin, not really sleeping.

He was closer to a zombie than a vampire, listless and floating in a netherworld of hurt and betrayal. Without thinking about it any longer, he clicked the \'Answer call\' button on the singing phone and lifted it to his ear. "Hello?" he asked, his voice an empty, dead thing.

Offline Mandy

• VIP
  • Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 06:54:24 AM »
Mandy straightened as a distinct ‘click’ echoed over the cordless handset in her grasp and Kerr`s unusually detached voice entered her ear, prompting a furious collection of butterflies to take wing throughout the whole of her nervous stomach. Or was that relieved stomach? Ben had not answered the phone, after all. If anything, she should be overjoyed.

"Hello?"

“H… hello,” She answered timidly; her mind going blank now that she`d managed to get the object of her desires on the line, much to her lingering dismay.

Oh my God! Say something more! It might not be obvious by the sound of your voice who you actually are, “It`s – it`s me… Mandy. I…” You what!? Tell him the story you rehearsed earlier!

She faltered – conflicted by the barrage of emotions Kerr`s familiar timber was able to inspire. How did he manage to retain such a powerful hold over her, even now? It was almost criminal in it`s effectiveness. “…that is…”

Behind her, Mandy could hear Barry rifling through a cabinet in his study, prompting her to ‘get to the point’ sooner than later (though this made her sound somewhat rushed in her eventual response), “… I wanted to talk to you.” Good, now finish your thought, “I still have your apartment keys. Forgive me… I should have brought them over the last time that we spoke.”

- Mark Twain

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:37:57 AM »
"Mandy," Kerr repeated into the silence after she\'d identified herself, no real inflection or surprise evident in his voice, though he felt it.  Regret stirred within him; he\'d meant to contact her and see how things had worked out on her end after that night, but he\'d just... forgotten.

Mention of the apartment keys sent a shaft of pain through him that had him closing his eyes to the view across the room; thinking of his old home led to thoughts of the love he\'d had there - and left behind.  He yearned to go back to it, very suddenly, but knew that it was gone and that that would be stupid.  He missed his old life with a pain he could barely fathom, let alone endure.

"I... moved out.  I left Ben after I found out what he did to Ichabod.  Keep the keys or take them back to Ben if you want, he\'s still there," Kerr told her when he felt he could safely speak, believing she\'d have heard the full story by now.  He opened his eyes to see the moon still dancing across the waves in the distance, trying to let the ocean\'s rhythm calm his torment (that had been the plan with the water, anyway).

"How is Ichabod?  Recovering from the abuse, I hope?" he enquired flatly, wanting to know that his lover hadn\'t permanently scarred the mortal with his hideous behaviour but not compelled to care enough that he\'d gone out of his way to check personally.  He had no desire to ever see Ichabod again, if he could help it; thoughts of him only fed the pain.

Offline Mandy

• VIP
  • Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
“He`s, well... he`s alright, I suppose. I wouldn`t exactly know…” Mandy began, the entire situation suddenly feeling utterly surreal.

Kerr and Ben were… no more? Broken up? How was that even possible? She approved of the decision, don`t get her wrong but still, it was just so – unexpected. Of all the relationships in the city, she`d been of the disctinct belief that that one may very well stand the test of time, for what did a vampire have, if not time? While Mandy entirely expected that Kerr would be upset by the treachery, she assumed that he would faithfully remain; anticipating that eventually, things between he and Ben would even out.

Assume nothing, was clearly the lesson in this case.

Still mulling over Kerr`s words, Mandy quickly realized that her vague explanation of Ichabod`s state was likely to appear more dodgy than of a serious ignorance to his situation. Clarification was definitely in order.

“… I moved out that very night, so I`m not really sure how he`s been. I just couldn`t stay in that place anymore… and I don`t want the keys.” But she didn`t want to visit Ben to return them either. Perhaps she could send them in the mail. “Kerr… are you okay?”

- Mark Twain

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 04:42:15 PM »
He watched the wind stirring one of the trees on the back paved area, beside the pool, and was taken with how it was like himself.  Rooted to the spot but whipped about by external forces he had no control over, clinging to what solid places he could in the hopes that he would grow somehow.  Become stronger.

"No," he answered quietly.  "I\'m not.  Why did you leave Ichabod?  You know none of it was his fault, don\'t you?  It was all Ben bullying him into complying."  He supposed Ichabod might have enjoyed the feeding itself - and there had been that orgasm to consider, let\'s not overlook that - but he doubted Ben\'s attention was welcomed in any way.  Mandy didn\'t have reason for leaving someone she was close to (especially since it had been her apartment, hadn\'t it?  It didn\'t make much sense to him).

Offline Mandy

• VIP
  • Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 04:57:38 PM »
She felt her stomach wretch - reminded of the real ‘why’ behind her leaving. It may not have initially been Ichabod`s fault, but by saying nothing – he enabled it to continue. And despite the teens best attempt at sugarcoating the events – she knew that he`d definitely enjoyed every second of being fed from.

It was – according to Ichabod – a very sexual thing.

“I left, because I couldn`t bear to look at him anymore.” Mandy began with a horrible shiver, closing her eyes tight, ”When Ichabod first moved in, he admitted to me that feeding for him was – “ How did one put it lightly? “- a very, intimate experience. And when I asked if he`d ever enjoyed what Ben had done, well, he confessed he had.” So, did that make her a horrible person for leaving? Because she`d not given the youth a second chance? Quite unexpectedly, she wondered if Kerr would chastise her decision to abandon her friend.

“You can think me shallow if you like, but I had to get away. We were never lovers, but I can`t escape the feeling that he`d deceived me. It wouldn`t have been very fair to either of us if I had have stayed, only to continuously rub things in his face.”

- Mark Twain

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 05:07:34 PM »
Again, Kerr was quiet as he mulled on her words, at first thinking that she didn\'t have all the facts but then realising that she did.  Ichabod had been honest with her about enjoying the feeding (though he doubted the teenager had mentioned the full scope of the sexual play he and Ben had indulged in) and she had left him because she\'d felt betrayed.  He could understand that.

"There was a lot of deception," he agreed sadly.  "We were both betrayed, you and I."  He fell quiet after that, not having the heart to continue commiserating with her, barely having the energy to keep speaking.  As far as feeding went, he knew he should probably try it - he hadn\'t had anything in a week now - but he was currently operating on the theory that luck of sustenance might help him sleep better.

So far, it hadn\'t worked at all, but he was all for giving it time.

Offline Mandy

• VIP
  • Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 05:17:56 PM »
He was in agony - Mandy could tell. Kerr`s voice was almost literally saturated with heart-wrenching despair. It made her ache for him in a manner the female had not been entirely prepared for. It nearly took her breath away.

“Kerr, where are you?” She asked, desperately needing to ensure that the vampire would be all right, “Do you want to meet up? Talk... I mean - face to face? You aren`t sounding very good.” Granted she didn`t feel so hot herself, but with Kerr, the hurt was rooted decidedly deeper. She and Ichabod had always been more friends than lovers but in Ben and Kerr`s situation, well… that arrangement was supposed to be for forever.

- Mark Twain

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 05:29:34 PM »
"I bought a new house.  In a cliff," he said with a modicum of inflection in his voice at last.  He was surprised that he was pleased to share this news with someone.  He\'d bought it for the isolation and the potential mental distraction but the thought of seeing Mandy again had a mildly comforting feeling accompanying it.

"It\'s hard to find and it needs a lot of work but you can visit if you want.  1710 Patterson Cove Lane.  Catch a cab and I\'ll pay for it whenever you get here," he offered with a slightly faster rate of speech than he\'d previously employed.  It might almost be interpreted as interest, even though his words were completely devoid of warmth.  "Doesn\'t have to be tonight.  Just.... whenever."

Offline Mandy

• VIP
  • Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
“No, I`ll come tonight!” She exclaimed with slightly more enthusiasm than was initially intended.

It was the strangest thing.

No matter how shitty, or crapped on Mandy happened to feel, whenever Kerr was around (or the opportunity to see him presented itself), she instantly felt like her \'old self\' again – a strange sort of giddiness filling the cavity of her tiny chest at the mere thought of being with him again. Had she known a week ago that a simple phone call would lead to them meeting, she might have (in all probability) contacted him sooner.

“1710 Patterson Cove Lane…” Mandy repeated out loud, writing the address on the scrap of paper Kerr`s cellular number was jotted along, “… I`ll be there in a minute.” Minute, being a very figurative suggestion.

Once the pleasantries of farewell were politely observed, she would hurry to Barry`s guest bedroom (where her few possessions were currently being stored) and change into something a little nicer than the sweat pants and faded hoodie she`d sported all afternoon. From there, it was nothing a quick taxi ride couldn`t remedy.

- Mark Twain

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 06:04:14 PM »
"No problem," Kerr told her indifferently, hanging up the phone and tossing it irreverantly back onto the coffee table before him, unwilling to shift out of his sprawled position on the expansive four seater couch (which was not leather this time, as he hadn\'t wanted reminders of lounging around with Ben and had chosen to go with normal dark blue cotton of a very high thread count instead), even though the phone clattered alarmingly on the rich wooden table.

He promptly fell back into his thoughts.

What seemed like seconds later though, he was rudely pulled back out of them when there was a knock on the front door.  It was down a hall and across the large, open room he was in, but he was still a vampire and able to detect such things.  He was surprised at first, having entirely forgotten that Mandy was coming, and then he remembered.  Of course, he also believed it wasn\'t enough time for her to be there already because he\'d entirely lost track of time, so he doubted himself in the next breath, but he got up and shuffled towards the door anyway.

He opened the door with a vague frown, wearing only jeans that were slung so low on his hips, the legs of them dragged under his heels.  It showed more than a bit of the \'Benjamen\' tattoo on his groin but he didn\'t think about that (nor about the large, flowery \'Ben\' over his heart) as he caught sight of Mandy waiting on his doorstep.

"Oh... fuck," he muttered, one hand going to smooth down his tousled hair and the other going to his back pocket, in a vain attempt to find his wallet so that he could pay the cab driver, as he\'d promised he would.  "I\'ll just... um... I should have some money around here somewhere," he murmured, turning promptly on the spot and heading for the kitchen, where he thought he\'d last seen his wallet.  Artistic eyes such as Mandy\'s would likely pick up the new tattoos on his lower back, too; Meinwen, Dei and Sawyl featuring there now.

He didn\'t even realise he hadn\'t invited Mandy in.

Offline Mandy

• VIP
  • Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 06:26:16 PM »
She waved back at the driver as Kerr abandoned her at the door; apparently searching for is billfold in order to satisfy his promise to pay for her ride. It was all very unnecessary however, as Mandy had already paid the man in full. The total hadn`t come to very much anyway. Taking her gesture to mean that all was well (the cabbie somewhat leery of leaving a young woman in such a desolate area), the yellow vehicle lumbered slowly back up the path from which it came, permitting a quiet still to resume in it`s place…

Well, aside for Kerr digging about inside.

Letting herself in, Mandy gently pulled the door closed behind her – her observant, hazel eyes soaking up all of Kerr`s newly acquired abode with relative interest. His ‘Ben’ tattoo`s had not gone unnoticed either (though she was choosing not to focus on them for now), nor did the ones featuring his estranged family. All were to be expected, she supposed. As it was, she had a place on Kerr`s person also - his attire clearly displayed that. At least he appeared even less \'dressed up\' for the occasion than her.

She wore a low rising pair of torn and faded denim slacks (which flared slightly in the legs), a plain white, long-sleeved shirt - shrouded by a khaki spring jacket - and a set of comfortable runners. It was all quite casual, considering the getup she`d initially considered wearing, but in the end, functionality reigned supreme over presentation. Kerr wasn`t likely to notice anyway.

“It`s big,” She commented in a distracted tone, craning her neck to stare up at the ceiling, “Don`t worry about the fare, I took care of it.” Had Kerr not rushed away so unexpectedly, Mandy would have surely offered the vampire a hug.

- Mark Twain

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 07:03:39 PM »
Her words registered belatedly with Kerr - he was on his way from the kitchen to the bedroom when they finally did, and then he felt bad for having missed out on paying for her.  He trotted back to the hall where she was still waiting and looking around.

"Sorry about that," he mumbled, combing the fingers of his right hand methodically through his hair.  "I lost track of time... come this way," he invited, backing down the polished wood floor (though the varnish was certainly lacking lustre) towards the sitting room he\'d been in.  It had a flat back wall with a rounded glass door front, making the general shape of the room an enormous half circle.  The view was spectacular, even from the couch he\'d set up against the flat wall (for the time being).

He sat down and gestured for her to do the same on the soft, roomy sofa, sitting in the corner and hooking his left leg up so that he could mostly face her.  It only occurred to him then that he likely didn\'t look very well but he didn\'t suppose it mattered much.  He did his best to focus on her then, frowning slightly because his lack of food was suddenly very apparent.  All he could easily focus on was the beating of her heart.

"So you found the place okay?"

Offline Mandy

• VIP
  • Dearly Missed
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 07:28:43 PM »
Smiling (and rather effortlessly at that) Mandy seized Kerr`s invitation to join him on the massive sofa, scooting in as closely to his body as his present arrangement would allow. God, it felt good to be at his side again. She glanced briefly toward the amazing view his living area employed as she got situated, though only for a moment.

All she really cared about right now, was Kerr.

"So you found the place okay?"

“Well, the driver didn`t seem to have a problem,” She replied, realizing too late that he was simply attempting to strike up conversation, “But I`m sure I`ll be able to find it again on my own. There’s a bus stop about a block or so away, so that`ll be helpful.” It may have been hidden, but the implication of seeing Kerr again beyond this evening was there, and Mandy hoped he would not take offense in that. Obviously, if he didn`t wish to make a habit of her showing up at his door, he would be only too justified in his resolve. She was a tie to Ichabod… to his past. All the female could do, was hope he wouldn`t choose deny her attentions.

Now what?

Cupping her hands in her lap (to keep from reaching out and touching Kerr`s leg), she searched the air before her as though hoping to snatch invisible wisdom from it. She wanted to talk to him, but ‘I`m sorry’ hardly seemed appropriate. All the ‘I`m sorry`s’ in the world would never be enough to heal the wound in Kerr`s heart. Maybe distraction would be a better form of comfort for now? And Mandy was a master at the art of disctraction.

“I learned a new song on my violin a couple of weeks ago,” She suddenly declared, the diversion obvious, but better than any uncomfortable silence that may have developed, “I could show it to you some time, though I`m not entirely sure I`m playing the instrument right. Maybe I should find a real teacher?”

- Mark Twain