Author Topic: Training Truths  (Read 14041 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Training Truths
« on: April 02, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
The new Captain of the Guard was somewhat surprised when he was informed by Prince Mayhew\'s personal aide that he could commence training with the newlywed at any time - the insinuation being that sooner would be better than later.  Disappointed was likely closer to the truth, really, because he was well aware that Mayhew wouldn\'t be interested in spending time with his new wife after losing his lover, but she was so lovely that Freddy had rather hoped the boy would be charmed enough to... move on.  Apparently, that was not to be.

A week after the wedding (which was the captain\'s own imposition, for he\'d held out that long in the hope Hew\'s attitude might be changed - only to receive a second visit from the miffed aide, that had him obediently turning up the next day), Captain Frederickson arrived at the palace for his first official training session with Prince Mayhew.  They\'d got on alright while Captain Wilson was away in Greece, taking a while to find a comfortable groove together but had got there in the end.

Somehow, he didn\'t think that that tone would be present today, and it made him nervous.  He stood in the training hall, in light leather armour, slapping his sword thoughtfully against his right leg (and staring down at his lifted boot while he did) as he waited for the appointed messengers to reach the prince and alert him to his visitor\'s presence.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Training Truths
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
He didn\'t have to wait long for Hew had asked to be alerted of the new Captain\'s presence as soon as he\'d arrived, so he\'d received message before his aide could officially tell him.  Dressing into his training armour it wasn\'t long before he approached Frederickson and bid him good day without a smile, not slowing his pace while they travelled to the armoury which was very near the dirt covered arena where he always trained.  It was a courtyard within the palace itself, a few strategically placed objects were sometimes within it.  At the moment it was empty, nothing had been organised to be set up within it.  Hew preferred training outdoors in the forest mostly, but didn\'t think Frederickson would allow that just yet.  Everybody seemed cautious about sending him out of the Palace lately, even with an usher.

"What weapons did you wish me to learn?" he asked as he entered the armoury, the palace guard standing near the door opening it for them as they approached.  Within were rows of weapon holders with various types and styles of weaponry.  Hew immediately went to the wall rack holding swords and placed his hand on his favourite lighter piece.  He was a nimble swordsman, Wilson kept telling him, so it was in his favour to choose weapons he could move around quickly with.  Usually, when he went to a weapon he would be allowed to use it but wasn\'t sure if Frederickson would offer him the same option.

The expression on his face had been consistently bland.  He didn\'t look excited or happy about what was going to take place.  Usually he looked forward to these sessions and figured if he went back into routine he\'d be happier.  He preferred to spend the time training rather than with his new wife so at least that was better, but there was little shine to his eyes as he looked Frederickson\'s way and awaited his answer.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 10:01:52 AM »
Freddy frowned, thinking back on their previous training sessions together.  They hadn\'t had too many but he\'d been trying to take a look at the prince using every weapon available to them, just so he could gauge potential weaknesses.  Of course, he\'d also allowed the boy to dictate where they\'d started and it had been with swords, so he\'d seen his ability with those - even the exotic ones.  Now, he\'d like to see something else brandished by the young royal, but he felt awkward about ordering it, so he explained his reasoning instead.

"Well... I didn\'t get to see you wield everything when I trained you while Lam was away, so I thought we should continue with you showing me how you go with some of the other weapons.  How about a mace instead?  Or an axe?  A spear?" Freddy offered, his hand sweeping towards the myriad of weapons still to be touched on the other racks, which included a ball and chain, nets, bola and daggers.  He didn\'t even discuss the choices of shields and bucklers he\'d like to see Hew touch, not until the prince picked something other than a sword.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 10:09:40 AM »
Hew was feeling argumentative and he struggled to contain it before he decided to unleash it.  Why should he make things easy for everyone when he was suffering?

"I won\'t be walking around with a mace or an axe or a spear," he said by way of his own explanation.  "I\'ll be equipped with a sword.  Perhaps I should learn how to master one weapon before learning others.  That makes sense, does it not?" he queried, being polite in his questioning while his eyes challenged Fredricksen in the contrary.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 10:15:43 AM »
"To a degree," Freddy conceded, "but versatility is also valued and if you hope to enter more than one competition at the Tournament of the Corn this year, you\'ll want a few tricks up your sleeve.  I\'d feel better knowing you could use any weapon that fell by your hand, should there ever be an emergency, rather than leaving you with one specialty that will effectively strand you if you were ever stranded and in danger."

Of course, the thought of war coming to Oberon was almost laughable, as was the notion Prince Mayhew would ever be caught in the midst of things with absolutely no guards about to protect him, but Freddy liked to be sure.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 10:39:52 AM »
"Nobody will beat me at the Tournament no matter how badly I fare," Hew said, cynicism at the battles he\'d won being deserving.  There were a few times he was doubtful that his win had been true and now that small degree of doubt in his angry soul was coming to the surface.

Even though he still opposed Frederickson\'s words with his own, he moved away from the swords and towards the rack of flails.  Essentially a stick with a chained ball, he knew his choice would have his trainer reaching for a shield.  They would both have to carry shields but Hew would choose something smaller and light, and if the captain knew what was good for him, he\'d choose something big and heavy.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 11:04:11 AM »
Freddy raised his eyebrows at Hew\'s snide comment about no-one beating him but he didn\'t say anything.  He had an inkling that the prince was right, for he\'d done remarkably well during his first tournament foray the summer before, but all the boy\'s opponents had made their own decisions on the matter, it hadn\'t been influenced by anyone else.

Seeing Hew grab a flail, Freddy chose a mace, anticipating he\'d be able to get Hew\'s chain wrapped around his handle so he could disarm the boy at some point - until then, he\'d need a hefty shield and so he grabbed a kite shield from the appropriate storage place.  He frowned at Hew\'s choice of shield but said nothing, believing this lesson would mostly be about him striking that shield in its crossbar so that it caused Hew\'s arm to vibrate with pain and him to drop it.  He needed to build up a shield arm.

Once they\'d chosen their equipment, the pair walked out to the fighting area.  It had been so long since there was any training done, there was actually a light covering of grass amongst the dirt.  Freddy knew it would be gone by the end of the training session.  After a brief warm up, the two of them shaped up to each other and then began the steady trading of blows.  Freddy wasn\'t as lithe at dodging out of the reach of Hew\'s flail, but he was experienced enough with his shield to be able to take repeated blows upon his shield.  By the same token, Hew was incredibly light on his feet and could avoid Freddy\'s advances, but one good blow was likely to undo him.

Freddy saw his opportunity about twenty minutes in.  They\'d been dancing about each other and were beginning to breathe harder now, sweat glistening on their brows as they stared intently at their opponent, trying to judge moves (the captain was secretly impressed that Hew did know the flail and was happy there didn\'t need to be too much instruction, for it felt like they were bonding more).  Hew made a swing with his weapon that was slightly too high and Freddy shoved his shield into the blow, hoping the spiked ball would grab into the wood a little.  That was when he would smack his mace hard against Hew\'s shield arm, before ripping his weapon upward, catching the flail\'s chain and swinging wide, hopefully disarming the boy in the process.

Of course, Hew might have other plans, he was a resourceful boy, but Freddy could see his victory clearly in his mind\'s eye.  The flail landed against his shield and he attempted to follow through immediately.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 11:11:22 AM »
Freddy got his victory exactly as he\'d planned for Hew had been putting a lot of effort into each blow in order to have some impact.  When the flail left his hands he was taken aback, not realising that this was his trainer\'s objective.  Wilson had always told him her objective as well as Hew\'s own, disarming without proper warning, well, it simply wasn\'t fair.

"You cheated!" Hew accused, stepping back and lowering his defensive posture to adopt an entirely different kind of defensive posture.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 11:15:58 AM »
The captain blinked, his mouth falling open as he was momentarily lost for words.  "I... uh... no, I didn\'t," he said slowly, his brows lowering at the accusation.  "That was a perfectly fair move, I disarmed you cleanly.  If you don\'t want to leave yourself vulnerable, stop throwing yourself out there."

He supposed it would take some time getting used to fighting someone even bigger and stronger than Lam had been, but Freddy believed that that would be good for the prince.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 11:28:16 AM »
"You\'re supposed to tell me the point of this lesson in order to train me.  How am I supposed to learn anything if I don\'t know what you did?"

It was a rubbish statement.  Hew knew exactly how he\'d been disarmed.  He\'d seen it, he\'d felt it and he even knew his mistake.  Playing dumb wasn\'t exactly something he liked doing or did often but he couldn\'t let Frederickson present himself as a good trainer.  Not when he missed Wilson.  Not only had one person been pulled from his life that he cared about, but two, and Frederickson was the only person available to him at this very moment that he could take it out on.  Also, he was supposed to be Wilson\'s replacement, which was laughable.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 11:36:18 AM »
Freddy couldn\'t help but give the boy a truly bewildered look, honestly flummoxed by what he was saying.  He couldn\'t imagine Lam had trained him by spoonfeeding him, surely... ?  Well, he would have to change that, if it were the case.

"Look," he said grimly, tightening his grip on his mace as he dropped his shield to the ground, holding it against his leg with his left hand, "I don\'t know if that\'s what you\'re used to, but I can tell you it\'s not how it will be from now on.  It\'s stupid to warn you of my intentions before I follow through with them," he spat, summarily dismissing any and all training methods Lam might have chosen to impart upon Hew - without naming names, of course.

"You\'re never going to get into a battle where your opponent is going to declare how he intends to defeat you, are you?" he scoffed.  "So why would I do that now?  It\'s up to you to learn to read your opponent, not be told where your next attack is coming from!"

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 11:48:05 AM »
"So you have no techniques to show me then; no names for steps, no styles of strikes, no plan of attack.  You\'re just going to come at me until I best you?" Hew raised an imperious eyebrow.

He knew Captain Wilson had begun by letting him fight and then correcting him as he went.  She would tell him her intentions sometimes and other times not.  She would tell him what his objective was and other times let him decide his own.  It was unfair to challenge Frederickson before he got started but Hew didn\'t care about fair.  He was lonely, angry and beaten and he wanted to blame everybody else for his current position.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 11:53:36 AM »
"It was a warm up exercise!" Freddy cried, obviously beginning to lose his patience - which was generally legendary (especially when compared to his former captain\'s), but wasn\'t anything close to being under his control at this particular moment.  He didn\'t think he\'d ever met anyone as infuriating as the prince and he failed to see why he\'d been lauded as gifted by Lam.

"I\'ll get to all that other stuff but, as I said, I just want to see you try a few weapons and see where you need the most work first, okay?  I\'m not Wilson alright, I\'ll do things differently and you\'ll get used to it eventually, just give it a chance," he said sternly, glowering at Hew and thinking that it was his bloody fault there\'d been a change in his trainer anyway, so he didn\'t see why he was copping the fallout from it - but he didn\'t say that out loud, it just burned in his blue eyes instead.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 11:58:35 AM »
Hew didn\'t have a sensible enough argument for the captain but was pleased that the other man was losing his patience.  Hew had heard that Frederickson was almost never unsettled by anyone or anything so this was a minor victory to the young prince.

"Fine," he said coldly, moving to where his flail lay on the ground and picked it up, hefting it in one hand before swinging it gently to and fro.  He began to circle Freddy once more, not giving his trainer much chance to collect himself before he began to attack rather ferally.

It would be a losing tactic, to let his rage control his decisions, but there would be no holding back and likely he\'d have Freddy on the defence initially, until he was disarmed again.  It was obvious Hew had no style in his fighting, he was merely going on instinct, pain and wrath.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 12:08:22 PM »
Freddy was surprised by the boy\'s passion and was slightly taken aback by how ferociously he was swinging his weapon.  He also began to realise that he wasn\'t necessarily seeing the boy that Lam always did; he was here to train the prince who\'d love and lost and was now a shadow of his former self.  He didn\'t know why he hadn\'t seen it sooner, but it helped him to be a bit more sympathetic.

He let Hew swing and vent for a while until he saw the boy tiring, and then he swept his mace up and through his flail\'s arc, achieving the ball wrapping around his weapon\'s neck and allowing him to yank it cleanly from the prince\'s grasp once more.  He watched him through far more concerned eyes now, speaking with his usual calmnes once again.

"If you\'re taller than your opponent, you can come in over the top of their upswing with a flail and hook it with very little effort," he explained his move.  "You\'ve still got some growing left in you, so it might be a tactic you\'ll remember in future.  How about we switch weapons now?"