Author Topic: Turn Of A Friendly Hand  (Read 13853 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Turn Of A Friendly Hand
« on: June 07, 2008, 01:52:04 PM »
(Continued from \'Watching The Fight On Another Cold Day\')

The walk through the streets of Oberon was unremarkable, apart from the fact that Gallagher and Alithia were both buoyed by their new acquaintance and by the alcohol in their systems.  The blonde teased the girl a little about how difficult it was to hold himself back with someone who owned such short legs but it was all in good fun.  Their steps were slightly unsteady but that could also have been the giggling swaying them.

Once back at the stables themselves, the Manager attempted a more business-like front, but it didn\'t really carry through his broad, dimpled smile.  He started their tour below ground, walking Alithia down into the feed stores in the basement level, discussing how much food was used each day, showing her the different types so she\'d be able to tell what she was looking for when asked to collect some and telling her about deliveries.  Since they were into the harvesting months soon (despite it being particularly chilly the day just passed), their feed stocks would soon more than treble.  The stores below the building were looking quite depleted, but Gallagher assured her that no horse would starve.

Back up to the ground level, he led her down the eastern-most end-to-end corridor first, showing Ali the stalls and introducing her to a few of the horses, watching her reaction carefully.  The eastern corners of the bottom floor held tack rooms, the western corners were for staff.  Gallagher\'s own room was in the north-west corner of the building, on the top floor and he led Ali through one of the crossover walkways on the ground floor to a living area exactly under his.  It was a lot larger than his home upstairs, for it slept twelve people (in single beds with their heads pressed to the walls, six on each side, with curtains suspended from the ceiling, able to be drawn around each living sace for some token privacy).

There was a washroom with a large metal bathtub, washstand and seven towels on rails nailed around the walls of the small room at the northern end and a dining/kitchen room at the southern, both with a door connecting to the sleeping quarters and to the stables themselves.  There were two outhouses fitted in between the stable and the keep\'s inner wall at this end (and one at the southern end of the building), for access at anyone\'s convenience.

When they walked into the staff quarters, it was almost like royalty had entered.  One of the beds had its curtains drawn but when the three people milling about in the bedroom noticed Gallagher and exclaimed his name, the curtains were pulled back by a stocky blonde woman probably a couple of years older than Alithia, and three others came from the kitchens.  Gallagher introduced his newest stablehand to her workmates, explaining that he thought it best she stay at this end of the stable, since there were nine living at the southern end (all of which were male, and there were only two males in seven at this end, both of them boys of fifteen and sixteen years respectively, which his female staff found easier to share their living space with).

After a few work questions about the twin colts\' condition and who was working through the night with them, Gallagher led Alithia out of the room and down to the other end of the stables.  "I know you won\'t remember everyone\'s names immediately, but I want them to know who you are," the Manager informed the teenager as he led her into the remaining staff quarters.  The dizzying round of introductions began again, with eight of the nine men (ranging from seventeen to thirty-five years of age at this end) that lived permanently in the stables meeting Alithia and greeting her with polite curiosity.  The atmosphere in this room was far different to the one with the females housed in it, where she would be living, and Gallagher hoped that it set his newest employee\'s mind to rest that he\'d picked the right place for her to live.  She\'d choose her own living space when she got back.

First, however, he needed to take her up to his storey, show her the fancier stalls and more important horses, as well as get her to sign her employment contract.  There weren\'t any staff quarters on the top storey, apart from his, which was far more compact than downstairs.  There was one tack room, in the southwestern corner, but it wasn\'t nearly as big as the ground floor, since most of the stalls up here held their own tack in little rooms connected to their larger stalls.

After a quick tour of the top storey, Gallagher opened the door to his apartment, gesturing the grubby teenager into the open plan living room.  There was a kitchen to her right, a table just in front of her and a living area beneath a large fireplace to the left.  Ahead of them were two doors, the right one closed and the one on the left open, revealing the footpost of a bed that declared that room was where the blonde laid his curl-covered head every night, though it was difficult to make out details beyond that from where they stood.  A fire had been lit and was casting a cheery glow around the dim room, but it wasn\'t blazing and so didn\'t do too much to help.  Their tour had taken quite a long time, and the sun had long since gone down by now, though there\'d been lanterns illuminating their journey every step of the way through the stables.

"Ah, a fire," the tall blonde man chuckled as he followed Alithia into his home and pulled the door closed behind him.  "Look out, it might well fall to you to be the poor sod that has to come up here and attend to my needs now," he laughed unabashedly.  He liked bathing regularly and his staff groaned about lugging water up for him, so he could only assume that the really disliked jobs would fall to the newest kid in the building (little did he know that it was considered an honour to be the one nominated to serve the Stable Manager, for a view was held tha that person might somehow gain more favour - or a visit to his bed, depending on their goals.  It wasn\'t true, but the rumours persisted; Ali wouldn\'t get anywhere near serving Gallagher personally until she\'d been there a year, at least).

"Please, feel free to sit," Gallagher offered, gesturing at the chairs tucked against the table - or the settee beyond it, in front of the fire, perhaps - as he moved to light the lantern that was hanging from the centre of his ceiling.  He used a stick he dipped in the fire to do this, wanting to give Alithia some time to unwind before he drilled her with paperwork and talk of wages; she likely needed some time to process everything he\'d already told her.

DeathsAngel

Re: Turn Of A Friendly Hand
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 04:08:58 AM »
((EDITED))

Alithia followed Gallagher through the dimming streets, giggling slightly at his jokes about her height, and tried to speed up, but found herself a little too off balanced. Perhaps she had drunken more than she thought, or aught to, or it might have just been the laughter, in any case she slowed down again and good naturedly returned his jokes with her own about his height.

Though she tried to look serious when they arrived at the stables, but she couldn\'t help but to giggle a little as he tried to look business-like manner, but failed. Even so, when he spoke she muttered a repeating of what he said to herself to try and remember what she was supposed to, even though it\'d be a long time before she worked with the horses. But it didn\'t work, for she forgot most of it as she walked back out the door.

When they got to the stables a large smile appeared on her face. Though she had seen horses, pulling cart, carrages or nobles and knights and such riding them, but she had never actually thought that she\'d end up... Being so close to them. She couldn\'t seem to stop smiling, even after the hardship of parting with the animals to work on the rest of tour, starting with the living area below his own.

The tour seemed almost as daze to Ali, and she dragged her fingers along the walls to feel it to remind herself that she wasn\'t dreaming. It\'d be absolutely horrible if she woke up the next morning and none of this had ever happened. So it was no wonder that she had a hard time remembering everything he said.

Alithia introduced herself to her new roommates, after Gallagher had talked about the new colts and didn\'t even bother to try and remember their names this time, knowing she wouldn\'t. She\'d learn them eventually, so it didn\'t matter all that much. She, in the other room, introduced herself to the men politely, glad he had picked the other quarters for her to live in. It\'d be fairly uncomfortable to sleep in here. Though she knew she could have if she had needed to. She had lived in worse conditions than "uncomfortable" before.

Her smiled grew again as he showed her the more important horses and such up in the top storey, though she didn\'t see the differences between them and the one\'s below, except that these had a little bit better items, but not by much. You could tell that they took care of all the horses extremely fine.

She entered his room and looked about, the warmth of the fire, though slightly, made everything seem more real. She stood for a moment as entered and thought about the tour, finding that she remembered more than she thought she would have, but doubted it would last until dawn.
"I\'ll make sure not to splash any water about." She laughed on his joke, once again getting rid of the accent she had re-established when introducing herself to the other workers, knowing he was wrong. Serving the boss was always an honor, not downgrade. But she was let him continue to think that, it seemed to work like that. .

Throughout the tour she felt strangly aware of her dirtiness, and hesitated when he offered her to sit. She didn\'t want him to think of her as being rude or anything, so she sat, and watched him as he lit the candle. She knew she was there to sign employment paperwork, after all, she had grown up a merchants daughter, she knew how businesses worked.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 03:37:05 PM »
"You\'re very quiet," Gallagher hinted with a smile, as he lowered the glass on the lantern hanging from the centre of the ceiling and turned the knob on the side, so that there was a more pronounced glow coming from it.  He collected a bound ledger from the bookcase by the door, as well as an ink well and a pen, then moved to the table where she\'d sat, positioning himself opposite her.  It was reminiscent of their time in the tavern, looing at one another with a wooden table in between.

DeathsAngel

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 06:02:04 AM »
Ali laughed slightly as he spoke once again. "I\'m trying to remember everything you\'ve told me about the stables, but I know I won\'t, so I don\'t even know why I\'m bothering... Stubbornness I guess." She shrugged and eyed the ledger in his hands. "What\'s that?" SHe asked with a cocked eye, having a pretty good guess as to what it was, but she though she\'d ask so that she could do whatever it was she was supposed to do, eager to be officially working for the stables, an honest job, and one she was sure she\'d enjoy.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 02:26:08 AM »
"I appreciate your effort at remembering, anyway," he chuckled, glancing up at her as he primarily paid attention to opening the ledger at the correct page.  "It shows you\'re keen to be here - and if there\'s one thing I can never have too many of, it\'s keen workers!"

Finding the page he wanted, Gallagher explained that the book he had before him was his employment record book - where he kept notes on who he employed, when they were hired and when he paid them.  Money was the bane of his existence, but it was necessary to keep track of the ebb and flow of cash around the stables, so that they remained functioning smoothly.

After he\'d explained all this (and complained a little about what a nuisance it was to keep track of which horse owner had paid their stabling fees and decide whether to bank it or use it to pay the employees or suppliers), he got all of Alithia\'s details, including her full name and date of birth.  He was impressed that she could spell it all so flawlessly, he usually got stablehands who blushed and waved his question aside, telling him to spell their name any way he saw fit.  He made a note, after that, which stated that Alithia would be paid a silver a week for her work.  It was a generous amount of money at face value, but the girl would understand, at the end of the first week, that it was well deserved and she would feel she\'d earned her money.

More than likely, she\'d feel she deserved more, in fact, when her body was screaming with aches and twinges and her eyelids were drooping with exhaustion, but one silver was the maximum amount a new employee would earn.  It was a generous rate by most standards, for manual labour.

Once he\'d blown the ink to be sure it was dry, Gallagher closed the ledger and leaned back in his chair, smiling at Ali - gently though, so that his dimples weren\'t flashing.  It was obvious he was becoming more mellow and that the alcohol had seeped rather deeply into his bones, causing him to look at her from beneath low-liddded blue eyes that glistened secretively.  One hand was on the table, fiddling with the binding of the ledger - stroking it unconsciously - while his right hand rested on his thigh beneath the table, softly tapping the muscle in a random pattern.

"So... bit of a change to how you began your evening, hmm?" he prompted in a husky purr.

DeathsAngel

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 02:18:51 AM »
Alithia, being at heart, a merchant, even though it had been several years since anyone in her family had held that title, understand the controlling of cash flow and the organization of it. She signed her name, though not smoothly, seeing as she had a hard time seeing what she was writing. Her letters and the line she was writing on kept moving and blurring up, and she was sincerely glad when it was over.

She knew it was uncommon for a girl of her status to be able to write, but then again, he already knew that she was once a merchant\'s daughter, thoug she doubted it wasn\'t as surprising as hearing a silver a week for manual labour. That was probably close to maximum amount by any standards. She wondered what she would do with the money, seeing as she didn\'t need to buy food or shelter, but her mind didn\'t stay on that subject for long. It didn\'t mean that much to her.

Alithia guess that, at that amount of earnings she would be working hard for, most probably, the rest of her life, or at least for a long while. But she didn\'t mind hard work, especially if it was honest. She, personally, wouldn\'t have given a silver a week, but then again, she was at heart a merchant, he was most certainly not. That didn\'t mean he managed his job poorly, she highly doubted such.

"Silver a week\'s quite a bit." She commented. "I can\'t think of what I\'ll spend it on, seeing and food and bed come with the job. Though, I supposed you never can tell." She shrugged as she watched him close the book and leaned back. Ali\'s eyes kind of wondered around the room absently until they rested on the ledger, but that kept bluring in and out of focus so she blinked her eyes a couple times and looked back at Gallagher. She had obviously had a little more to drink than she had first thought.

"It most certainly has." She smiled up at him and leaned back in her own chair and stretched her arm out on the table in a relaxed position. "All \'cause some feller bumbed into me table!" She joked lightly, as she noted the kind of glazed look in his eyes and started to tap the table rhythmically.

"When do I start work in the morning?" Ali asked. "I was thinking about picking up a few belongings and maybe a small trip to the bathhouse before I start work tomorrow. "I know I won\'t stay clean for long, but it\'s a good idea to start your first day of work clean, my father used to say." She shrugged lightly and slouched down a little more in her chair to rest her head on her shoulder.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 01:17:15 AM »
Gallagher watched her through hooded eyes, liking that she was looking relaxed and feeling much the same sort of impulses.  There was a very satisfied feeling permeating his being; he was very pleased with having found such a keen and intelligent new employee.  He found himself curious about how different she\'d look clean... he supposed she was rather grubby.

"That\'s a good policy to have," he commended with a lazy smile, yawning and running a hand through his tumble of golden curls.  "Normally you\'d start work an hour or so before sunup and continue to an after after sundown, but I believe you\'ll have time to do those things in the morning.  You\'ll be easd into things, don\'t worry - though you will have some night time shifts fairly soon, as I believe they usually go to the newer employees as much as possible," he explained, chuckling at her as his right hand stayed up, playing with his hair.

DeathsAngel

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 07:55:43 AM »
((OOC: I\'m so sorry it\'s taken such a long time for me to reply, but life been, well, life! Not to mention writer\'s block and Excuses excuses excuses, blah blah blah lol))

Ali felt her own weariness when yawned, and knew she probably should get to bed soon, but she was just so relaxed, the thought of getting up to go to bed wasn\'t exsiting.
"Don\'t you be worrying, I\'ll be back before dawn." She said, though she wasn\'t too sure she would get up that early, she wasn\'t really looking forward to getting up in the morning at all, as a matter of fact. But, she had born through worse, she could bare through a hangover.
"Night shift doesn\'t make much of a difference to me, I worked any time I could, no matter the hour." Though mostly it had been at night, but those were almost always shadey jobs, and one doesn\'t just talk about jobs that was most certainly illegal.

She absently looked around, knowing she would have to leave soon, but not wanting to move, but after a couple of moments she slid up in the chair planning on standing up, but that little move made the room spin, so she stopped for a second before actually standing.
Alithia wondered how she had made it up the stairs so easily.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 04:04:26 PM »
Her companion giggled as he watched her sit up straight and have to take a moment to right herself, realising the alcohol they\'d consumed was getting the better of her.  It had infiltrated his body more soundly now, too, making him lethargic and happy in a groggy, chuckly sort of way.

He knew that the next thing he should do was stand up, walk over and help her, as any gentleman would, but he also knew that he had a tendency to get overly friendy in his current state of inebriation and he was just as likely to hug her as help her up.  It was best he remained professional and kept his distance, that was for sure.

"You okay?" he murmured, dimples showing as he grinned across the table at her.  "Going to be a\'right to get downstairs to your new bed?"  His tone was teasing and altogether too cheerful to entertain the fact that she\'d tell him no, and request his assistance; he\'d decided he\'d be keeping his hands to himself so that possibility was no longer to be entertained by him.  His dancing blue eyes declared that he was ready to watch her stagger her way out of the room and downstairs now, though.

DeathsAngel

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 01:43:11 AM »
As the dizziness cleared, Alithia forced herself not to shake her head, that wouldn\'t have been a good idea. She glared lightly as he giggled, stifling on of her own. She silently debated between giving up and leaning back into her chair or finishing the task she started, and standing up. She decided that if she were to lean back, she might not get up again, so it was best if she continued to try and stand up, hoping she didn\'t fall down.

"I am perfec\'ly fine!" She replied, her voice slightly slurred. "Bed", she thought absently. That sounds nice. My bed. That\'s even nicer. Sleep would be good. Waking up bad, but sleep good. She mentally shook her head, to clear her thoughts. "I will be able to make it down the stairs, af\'er all, I made it up here didn\'t I?" She shrugged lightly, bracing the table.

Ali slowly stood up, using the table to keep herself from falling, and looking drunkenly proud at Gallagher. "See? If I stood up so easily," she hadn\'t, but she had tried not to let that show. "Than I can get down the stairs just as easily." Again, not necessarily true, but she had to reassure herself if she was even going to try. She had not desire to fall down the stairs. She decided to wait a few seconds for the room to stop spinning again before she headed towards the door.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 06:57:37 AM »
He stood when she did, despite his intention to keep a professional distance.  The girl looked ready to topple over at any second!  The thought only broadened his grin - though he was, of course, standing bevcause he was ready to catch her should she fail to use her own two legs properly.

"Easily, mmm?" he queried, tongue in cheek as he stepped away from the table and headed for the door to open it for her.  It might give her a goal to stagger towards.  "If you say so," he murmured disbelievingly, the notion that he should probably feel bad for helping her get into this state finally leaking into his soggy brain.

She would start her first day of work with an entirely different perspective than he\'d intended, if she was this under the influence now.  He should be sorry about that... shouldn\'t he?

DeathsAngel

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 11:04:11 AM »
Ali walked a couple of steps, still not letting go of the table, which was probably a good thing since she stumbled once, but only once. She was beginning to look with dread at her upcoming task, but first, she let go of she support and walked across the room, without falling.

"I do say so!" She confirmed with a friendly glare as he held open the door. "Quite easily!" She giggled at that, though she didn\'t really know why. Which caused her to loose her balance, making her grab the door for support. "Well, almost." She added, stilling giggling.

"Tomorrow," She concluded. "Will not be a very pleasant day, I believe." Her face took on an overly dramatic sense of gloom. "Well, my own folly for getting bloody drunk!" She started to giggle again, causing herself to loose balance once more. The door swayed slightly as she staggered, but somehow, she managed to stay upright, and tried to compose her gace once more.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 08:50:34 AM »
"I think I\'d better help you down the stairs," Gallagher told her wryly, his hands having gone to her elbows when she staggered that final time, in an attempt to hold her up.  "Especially since it\'s mostly my fault you got so bloody drunk!"  He giggled as he helped her move back from the door and take more weight on her own feet.

"Take my arm, m\'lady," he encouraged playfully, "an\' I shall help you down the back steps.  Talon knows we won\'t make it down the ramp without falling off!"  The stairs at the end of the building had a railing where the ramp did not.  Although the ramp was wider, he didn\'t have any doubt that Alithia could hurl herself off it in the condition she suddenly seemed to be in (now that the alcohol had fully infused her blood, no doubt).

DeathsAngel

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 10:05:17 AM »
"I-" Ali was about to protest, but thought better of it. "Would appr\'ciate it." She giggled again, but stopped and grabbed on to his arm as the room began to spin again. "Stop making me laugh!" she said and forced herself not to laugh. She wondered how in Talon\'s name she would get down the stairs, but didn\'t wonder on it long.

Giggling once more, she wrapped her arm around his, losing balance a little and leaning against his arm, causing her to laugh some more. Eventually, she pulled herself straight and nodded. "That\'s awfully kind of you," she said through her giggling fits.

Why, in both of the gods\' names, can\'t I stop bloody laughing? she wondered to herself, as she started to stagger forward, half leaning against Gallagher\'s shoulder, half falling, and not knowing where she was supposed to go.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 04:02:06 PM »
It was quite an exercise, in the end, and they both ended up laughing quite a bit more than was warranted.  He wasn\'t sure whether to go down the stairs first and be ready to catch her, should she fall, or insist she go first so she could make out the steps for herself - via the light of the lantern he held aloft for such a task (he\'d grabbed it from inside his apartment before they set off in earnest).

In the end, he alternated between the two methods as they went, doing a lot of gripping of the petite girl\'s arm no matter what side he was on, because she really was terribly unsteady on her feet.

When they got to the bottom, Gallagher paused to allow them both a breath of relief and offered a silent prayer of thanks to Talon for helping them get down unharmed.  There had been a few dicey moments where he\'d thought even he wouldn\'t be able to stop someone so vertically challenged overcome the handicap of inebriation, no matter how much bigger and stronger than her he was.  They\'d got there, though.

He guided her into the shuffling darkness of the lower level of the stables, where the horses were housed in smaller stalls and were therefore much closer to the walkway that they had to tread.  Lanterns burned low along the passageways, giving off light enough for those on night shift to go about their business and for the curious faces that poked over stall doors to eyeball the drunken pair passing their bedroom good and proper.  Gallagher murmured to a few of them, receiving a nicker or two in response as he and Ali passed by.

When they got to the door that led to her staff quarters he paused, still holding his lantern, and gave her a warning.  "I\'m going to let you go now, so you can go in and find your bed of your own accord, alright?"  That said, he began the release process, wondering if he should accompany her through the door because she might not remember where her bed was and he doubted there would be a lantern or candle burning inside just for her sake.  It might be possible, though, for his workers were considerate people and they knew how long he and Alithia would take to organise her so that she would be ready to start work in the morning.

DeathsAngel

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 02:26:02 AM »
Ali couldn\'t seem to stop laughing for more than a few minutes, then she\'d loose her balance again and a giggle would appear. She spent half of the time going down the stairs falling against his shoulder, sometimes during such falls she would give up on balance completely and allow him to right her. Each time she fell she would apologize through her giggles.

When they stopped and sense of gratitude came over her, and thanked Talon for chance to allow herself to get at least some sense of balance before the set on again, though still, she had to hold on to his arm to make sure she got it, and even though, when standing still, she didn\'t really need to, she was afraid if she let go she would fall right on her face, so she didn\'t let go. But she\'d made it, and felt extremely proud of herself and Gallagher.

"shee! I told you we\'d make it down without a scratch!" She smiled and giggled a little more, causing her to fall against his shoulder once more. Straightening herself she tried to stop giggling so that she\'d keep her balance. "It wasn\'t that hard, was it?" She forced herself not to giggle again, knowing it probably was.

As they walked through the stables, Ali found a little more of her balance, at least enough so that she didn\'t fall every second. She\'d happily wave at the curious faces and giggle after they\'d pass them, causing the occasional loss of balance, making her grip Gallagher\'s arm a little tighter to steady herself.

She looked around when they stopped to find out why, and, truth be told, was slightly disappointed when she saw the door to her quarters. Ali couldn\'t remember a better night, but then again, she was extremely drunk.

"I can do that." She said with a smile, though she no longer giggled. "It shoul\' be easier \'an gettin\' down them stairs, eh?" She replied as he let go, and she too let go of the steady arm. She felt a little off centered, but had expected that, still she didn\'t fall. "Thank you for you help." She said sincerely, her lips turned in a small, grateful smile.

She turned and grabbed the door handle, using it for balance she turned it and opened the door and looked in with a sense of dread coming over her; as she looked into a completely dark room. "Well, maybe not as easy as the stairs." She muttered, though in truth, it was probably a little more than a mutter. With a sigh, she turned back to Gallagher to say goodnight before treading on into the dark.
"Well, I believe this is goodnight." She smiled once more. "Thank you again, for everything."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 07:44:24 PM »
"You\'re welcome," he told her warmly, dimples flashing as he grinned at her.  He didn\'t envy her having to find her way through a strange place in the darkness - and in her condition - but that was all part of the initiation process, wasn\'t it?  She\'d have to figure it out sooner or later and he was a big fan of sooner... not later.

"I\'ll see you in the morning.  Sometime," he added with a cryptic chuckle before he turned and strolled off through his dimly-lit domain.  He would be very interested in seeing how his latest recruit coped with the morning sun... given her current situation and the potential for pain she had.  His smile broadened at the very thought as he carried himself casually back upstairs, to his own comfortable bed.

DeathsAngel

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 03:36:44 AM »
Ali smiled back and was tempted to give him a hug, but she decided against it, seeing as how easy it was for her to lose her balance, plus, under her condition it might be taken the wrong way, and it was easier if she just smiled, so that was what she did, smiled, even though she hated that the day was finally ending.

She giggled a little at his cryptic chuckle and held on to the door frame to keep from losing her balance again. She hated to see him go, for it meant that this wonderful evening really was at an end, and tomorrow was going to be hell. But, after he had left her sight, she reluctantly turned and entered the dark room.

Bumping into several things - what she wasn\'t sure - someone finally lit a candle and helped her to her bed. "Poor thing, must be tired." One lady said, which caused Ali to laugh, but her laugh didn\'t last long, for she was out cold even before her head hit the pillow, dreaming of horses, alcohol and the warmth of a home.