Author Topic: Terms  (Read 19535 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Terms
« on: March 16, 2009, 06:54:44 PM »
HE WAS BEGINNING TO come to terms with all that he\'d learned from Kerr in the desert.  It didn\'t mean that he felt ready for Kerr to explain any more, far from it.  It meant that he could feel what he\'d learned settling in his head - like it had been lopsided and was now levelling out.

When he\'d arrived at the house after arranging for all of his stuff (what was told to him as his stuff though he didn\'t recognise any of it save for a single pair of shorts and two t-shirts that were looking like they needed replacing, though Ben was unwilling to part with it considering it was like an anchor to a past he remembered - who knew that almost all of his clothes would be replaced in the space of three years?), he\'d been shown around the place by Kerr.  He\'d noticed the way Kerr presented it to him, with a mixture of emotions floating at the surface.  It wasn\'t anything he could read, for he didn\'t know Kerr well enough to read such things about him, but it was something he felt through a blood bond connection that he was very aware of.

When the option to live on his own floor came again, like a last chance offer from Kerr, Ben changed his initial rejection to an acceptance, causing Kerr to look at him for a longer moment with an expression on his face that Ben felt was little less than scrutiny.  Shifting uncomfortably under that stare had Kerr gracefully continuing with the tour as though nothing unusual had happened, though there was a tone in his voice that Ben felt was different.  It could\'ve been his imagination, perhaps he was looking for things that weren\'t there, but he wasn\'t so sure.

He\'d finished packing, the room on the floor that was his and his alone not as quiet as he\'d expected it to be, thanks to the ever-pounding waves of the ocean on the cliffside.  It was an impressive house, and he\'d made the noises to match, which he\'d been sure had pleased his sire.

His sire.  Kerr was his sire.  That had been the most difficult thing to wrap his head around, and once it had started feeling acceptable to him, he began to feel guilty about the way he\'d initially treated Kerr while in the grip of shock.  Sure, he hadn\'t been himself and he\'d been through a lot, but now he felt ashamed by all that he\'d said and done and it was on his list as one of the first real conversations he had with Kerr.  To apologise.

He padded out of the room on feet dressed in socks, a mismatched jumble of clothing as he\'d paired his socks with dark red board shorts and a white long sleeved hoodie.  The hood was over his blonde hair, an unconscious method of hiding himself even while he sought Kerr out.  He was reminded strangely of Risk, of finding a vampire to converse with, of finding one to sire him, he\'d worn a hoodie then but not this one.  Kerr had been found by chance, back then, but now, it was on purpose.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Terms
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 11:29:01 PM »
Despite it being a five storey, sprawling house cut into a cliffside and stacked, layer upon layer like a skewed wedding cake, Kerr was surprisingly easy to find.  He was on the lowest floor; the living floor, in the living room with the panoramic view.  The bifold doors were drawn back so that the breeze constantly ruffled the tips of his hair and filled the circular space with the smell of the moon on moonlit water.

He was sprawled in the couch wearing a knitted charcoal jumper and a pair of jeans, his bare feet arranged so that the left was tucked beneath him, the right was stretchedout towards the coffee table.  He was frowning at his toes prodding mindlessly at the wooden furniture, his left arm tucked beneath him cradling the reason for the frown; he was on the phone.  Cases were stacking up and they anted to know when a Vampire Oligarch would surface.  Kerr was impatient enough to have demanded to know why Declan wasn\'t there to do his share, but Declan hadn\'t been seen for a number of nights.

"For fuck\'s sake, this is ridiculous!  I can\'t have any time off?" he demanded and fell quiet as an answer - nay, a lecture - came at him from the wizened old demon at the other end.

Including the couple of nights spent in the desert with the ritual, he\'d only been absent five nights - this was only the third back in the city and he hardly felt settled.  The first night had been a write-off.  After travelling back on the plane (most of which Ben spent with the pilot in the cockpit because Jack was somewhat overbearing and he\'d looked like he needed an escape.  It had freed Kerr to organise things with Jack, though, so it hadn\'t been an unwelcome choice), he\'d driven Jack and Samuel to the apartment and then brought Ben to the beachouse.

By then, the sun hadn\'t been long away, so there\'d only been the most cursory of introductions before they were settling down in Kerr\'s bed - the only one in the house, unless the coffin was counted.  Although he\'d awoken cuddling Ben, he\'d slept well and had had plenty of time to move away before his fledgling awoke.  That night had involved some blood bag sustenance, followed by a more expansive tour that encompassed the grounds as well as the house.

Halfway through the tour, Ben\'s car, the furniture and all the clothing from the apartment had arrived, so there\'d been some time taken to position the bed and dresser in the chosen bedroom Ben had nominated on the third floor.  Kerr lamented that it was two floors below him... but was also strangely glad of it.  Another delivery had arrived within the hour, of very similar items of furniture, but these were brand new and taken to the room next door to Kerr\'s.  He was confident that Jack would want to be as close to him as possible, when he arrived, but the Irishman was still keen to maintain a semblance of separation from the mortal - even if he forced it to become little more than an illusion.

Jack was still sorting things out with Hannah and Samuel as far as Kerr knew, though the vampire expected him to arrive at some point tonight.  He knew exactly how to get a cab out to the beach house and Kerr doubted it would take more than two nights to sort out one\'s worshippers... he could be wrong, of course, and he wasn\'t chasing Jack in the meantime.  He would turn up when he did - hopefully with all his own clothes and some food, for Kerr hadn\'t shopped beyond purchasing him a beautiful bed, dresser of drawers and an old fashioned sit-down dressing table.  He had his own bathroom attached to his bedroom and Kerr had had just enough manchester to cover the three bedrooms and ensuites thus far, but he would prefer more be purchased.

Kerr glanced up when Ben entered the room and though he didn\'t sit up from his reclining position on the mini mountain of cushions he was inhabiting, he stiffened.  Ben didn\'t know yet that he was employed by the Oligarchy and the sire wasn\'t keen for his fledgling to find out this way.  "I need two more nights, in all likelihood," he told the person on the other end of the phone tersely, trying to stop his gaze from following Ben\'s progress and stare instead at the black fireplace across the room.  "Well make it work," he snapped and lifted himself up on his elbow enough to look down at the cordless handset he was holding.  He hung up, despite the noise of agitated arguments rising out of the speaker from the other party, then hit the button again so that the line would be open and he couldn\'t be called again.

He mustered a smile and looked innocently at Ben.  "Sleep well?" he enquired pleasantly, partly wondering if his fledgling had been able to smell the scent of the two of them (somehow) in a bed that hadn\'t held them as a couple for many months, part of him hoping he wouldn\'t be asked about the phone call.  The good thing about his mistakes with Ben early on was that he\'d learned to pick his information and questions very selectively; he didn\'t think it likely Ben would ask something potentially overwhelming.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 07:37:05 AM »
Ben had walked in on a phone call but hadn\'t wanted to listen in or even appear that way, so he\'d wandered about the room, looking at things in closer detail.  He liked his supernatural sight; he liked seeing minute air bubbles in the metal second hand rod that ticked around the clock, something he knew he couldn\'t have seen in his mortal years.  Everything was crisper, finer, more colourful.  There were shades of colours he hadn\'t even noticed before - many degrees of blue or green or red.  There wasn\'t just lime green, there were about twenty shades of lime green.  It was fantastic.  Smiling to himself at around the same time as Kerr barked down the phone at someone (and it was something Ben couldn\'t help but overhear), he turned around to look at Kerr when the phone was hung up and then approached where Kerr sat, sitting on the sofa with his back to the edge and one of his knees scraping the back of the furniture while his other foot still touched the floor.

"Yes, thank you," he said, shuffling to get comfortable and throwing his secret smile Kerr\'s way.  "I\'m starting to... uh, appreciate what I have now.  I guess I was surprised at first and I... I wanted, I mean I want to apologise.  I want you to know that I didn\'t mean to turn on you, that I should\'ve been thanking you for looking after me in the desert."  He pressed his lips together, not liking the stilted way his apology had come out because when he\'d run it in his head it had been smooth and flowing.  There was more, but he didn\'t know how to continue without a brief pause.  Luckily, Kerr didn\'t fill it in the meantime and he thought of how best to finish his talk off.  "Sorry."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 11:23:14 AM »
Kerr\'s head was lolled back on his shoulders as he watched Ben through hooded eyes, smiling gently and immensely pleased that his fledgling was beginning to settle. It had frustrated and angered him greatly when Ben\'s behaviour had sidled towards immaturity over rationality, but he\'d always been able to understand it. Thinking that extreme delicacy was past and a more open stage of cautious acceptance was being heralded left Kerr just about giddy by comparison.

"It\'s alright, you\'re forgiven," he told Ben quietly. "It was a shock for both of us; I could certainly relate." His smile broadened cheekily. "I\'m sorry I was impatient with you and upset you so much. I was... unaware of my boundaries. I know where they are now... I think." He chuckled, thinking that he wasn\'t allowed to blindside Ben with any extra information but that there was so much... he was boggled by the thought of avoiding it all successfully - especially the discussion of his work; that was certainly looming (but not tonight, if he could help it).

The urge to hold Ben struck him - as it always did - but he resisted the urge to open his arms. He doubted his fledgling would willingly crawl into them and snuggle with him, that wasn\'t their relationship now. He mourned it, but he was better off not putting himself out there for rejection.  Just because Ben was ready to apologise for his cruel actions didn\'t mean he was ready to accept that they\'d been in a relationship... and Kerr was supposed to be doing his best to forget it.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 05:48:45 PM »
Last they\'d been together, according to Ben, Kerr had been in a relationship with a woman called Mandy.  He\'d met her, at the trial, and his jealousy of her hadn\'t interfered with the bond towards a common enemy they\'d developed.  It had been quick; a simple hand held was enough.  Just like his desire for Kerr had developed quickly, but he thought now it was because Kerr was something he wasn\'t; a vampire.  Now that he was, well, he was looking at Kerr differently.

Kerr had a relationship, yes, his head could figure that out even though his heart couldn\'t.  His head also figured that Kerr had a relationship with someone else while that person had been controlling Ben\'s body.  So even though it was Ben, it wasn\'t.  This was the part he wasn\'t sure would fly with Kerr, though he didn\'t get why, because it wasn\'t like the person that had taken over Ben\'s body had disappeared or anything.  He was named Jack, and he looked like Ben, so it was only natural that now Kerr would be in a relationship with this Jack guy.

Ben didn\'t know what to say after Kerr said his piece.  He looked at Kerr for a lingering moment, then shifted his gaze to the view Kerr was facing.  He could feel the breeze stroking his face and smell the ocean in the air.  It was nice.  He\'d never thought he\'d have a chance to live by the ocean.

"I don\'t think it\'ll take me long," he began, licking his lips before looking back at Kerr.  "I think I\'ll adapt to vampirism pretty quickly."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 06:17:35 PM »
Kerr turned back to look at Ben, smiling languidly and thinking of the extremely accelerated rate at which his fledgling had developed mental powers.  Oh, yes he would take quickly to vampirism - like a duck to water as the saying went - but it was not Kerr\'s place to tell him how quickly it would happen.  Nor did he feel it right to pretend he didn\'t know and re-invigorate a conversation they\'d once had, merely for appearances.  Such an act might one day have a place in their discussions, but not now.

He realised he was merely smiling and thinking while he looked, and sensed his fledgling becoming uneasy beneath the intensity of his gaze.  "You will," he agreed huskily.  "Would you like to practise?  Or would you prefer to do something else - go to Risk to drink, perhaps?  Shop?"  He tilted his head as he watched his young (ex)lover, waiting to see if he had a preference.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 06:45:50 PM »
Ben gave the options some serious consideration.  The last thing offered sat strangely on the option pile; two related to his vampirism and one being entirely social.  Shopping wasn\'t exactly something he felt the necessity of, especially when his entire wardrobe already felt brand new.

"Risk would be different, looking at it from the other side," he replied.  He hadn\'t really chosen, for he was still unsure as to which way to go.  Training his powers or re-discovering a vampire feeding ground?  He wondered if Kerr had become a VIP at the club, seeing it accepted annual memberships.  He\'d noticed the Members Only sign at the bottom of the staircase that took the clubgoer upstairs into something called the Topaz Lounge, but other than a cursory glance, he hadn\'t investigated further.  What went on up there?  "There\'s a lot to it I haven\'t investigated yet," he said, remembering only the club part, the back rooms and the free cafeteria downstairs.  He couldn\'t even properly remember the layout of the place - all he did remember was the cafeteria, mostly.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 11:23:26 PM »
"The club?  Or your powers?" Kerr queried, fairly certain Ben hadn\'t investiated either of them at any length - as far as he remembered - and so needing clarification.  He didn\'t mind whether they would have a cosy night working on powers or not, but he figured Ben would have to feed at some point; they might as well combine the two endeavours.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 06:54:40 AM »
Ben shrugged when Kerr required clarification.  He\'d been talking about the club at the time, but he also realised that his powers hadn\'t been investigated properly either.  It didn\'t matter which he did, he\'d be happy with either.  Because of the expression his shrug caused upon Kerr\'s face, he spoke again.

"Either would suit me fine."

As Ben and Kerr spoke about what they would be doing that night, Jack was already in a taxi and on his way.  Two suitcases of clothing were in the trunk, none of which suited Ben, but Jack was delighted to have in his possession.  Those clothes had been bought for him by Kerr, which made them extra special.

Jack had missed Kerr, even while Samuel had been in his ear about gathering followers.  He\'d missed Kerr even while Hannah had fawned all over him.  He\'d liked the attention she\'d given him, but when his heart belonged to someone else he didn\'t particularly have anything to give back to her.  Still, he\'d led her on with words in order to not give her any action.  There were more important things in store for her.

She\'d been told the whole story by Samuel.  The acolyte turned out to be a fabulous story teller when on his favourite subject - one he\'d dedicated his whole life to.  They\'d both told Hannah she belonged in a position of power as they recruited for their cause.  Initially dubious, the soft caresses upon her face and hair from Jack as he pleaded with her that he needed her had won her over, and soon enough she was regarding Samuel with awe also.  This was a man who helped make Jack immortal, whose faith hadn\'t wavered even though thousands had, who\'d brought Jack back to her.  Samuel was charming, Hannah was taken in, and she would help the cause.

It had only taken one night to recruit her, but Samuel had explained to Jack, as she slept, that her circumstances were vastly different to those that would follow.

So now Jack was coming to live with Kerr.  He\'d wanted to wait until Kerr was up and dressed, anticipating him, expecting him, wanting him.  Hopefully Ben had been just as distant now as he\'d been in the hotel and on the plane.  If he wasn\'t, Jack would have to deal with him.  Nothing would come between him and Kerr, not after all they\'d been through.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 07:51:09 AM »
Kerr debated, shifting the stud around inside his mouth in a ruminative manner.  His eyes were shining when he finally grinned at Ben.  "Then I say we might as well do both at the same time - Risk will offer us both sustenance and help you learn to block your thoughts from those perceptive enough to be annoyed by them.  Force you to practise, if you will.  Shall we change?" he proposed, straightening off his cushion pile at last, ready to exit the couch at Ben\'s agreement.  He was already planning what he would change into, even though he waited politely.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 08:03:49 AM »
Ben nodded, thinking that Kerr had a salient point.  Why not visit Risk, investigate it further, practise his mental skills (of which he had power in reserve considering he\'d been a vampire for some time already, just lacked the training) and practise his bite as well?  It was a good idea, and now he was smiling about it, looking forward to it.

He\'d already showered, his clothes were clean, he only had to change out of his shorts to a pair of jeans and he\'d be ready to go.

Even though he was quick with getting changed and even slapped on some cologne - a new smell but one he really quite liked - Jack\'s taxi had pulled up on the driveway, and Ben\'s lookalike was helping get the suitcases out with the cabbie.

The moment Ben laid eyes on Kerr, the bell for the front door rang.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »
Kerr hadn\'t taken too much longer than Ben but he\'d switched jeans to a nicer, darker blue pair and had to get socks and boots on as well.  He was wearing a teal coloured cotton shirt when he came back downstairs, with the top three buttons undone to reveal the tight leather necklace entwined about the column of his throat.  It had a silver arrow head that rested in the hollow between his collar bones, pointing towards his toes.  He\'d rolled the sleeves of his shirt up to his elbow and added a couple of leather straps to his left wrist - around his watch - to complete his \'grungier\' look.

A number of visits to Risk (especially since his night with Jack) had seen him pondering the phenomenon of boys wearing eyeliner - he rather liked the way it made dark eyes even darker and light eyes look positively eerie (a la Jack) - but he had yet to take that step with regard to his attire.  Mandy had left quite a bit of her stuff when she\'d disappeared, including makeup, but... it he hadn\'t been game to experiment (plus it seemed sacrilegious).  Kerr settled for pulling his hair back into a ponytail - securing it with a leather thong, of course - and headed downstairs.

The doorbell caused him to veer off his path to Ben and head for the front door, a frown upon his face.  He knew it was, who it had to be, and began to hastily think about what they would do now.  It would hardly seem polite for Jack to arrive and he and Ben to leave immediately, but he also didn\'t wish to expose Jack to Risk, nor have him present to distract from Ben\'s instruction.  Nothing came to him beyond not being out too long, or encouraging Jack to go out and spend more money to decorate his room and buy mortal food.  The newling had never turned down a shopping trip in Kerr\'s experience.

When he opened the door, his expression was likely more curious than upset, his mouth twisted cautiously and an eyebrow lifted.  "Hey Jack," he greeted casually, eyeing the bulging suitcases.  He reached forward to take the cabbie\'s, mentally dominating him to wait at the same time (so that transport would be on hand in case he was able to convince Jack to amuse himself with that shopping trip after all); the driver did so, letting go of his burden willingly and then merely standing there placidly as Kerr turned to face Jack, his latest... roommate.  "We were just about to go out," he informed the beautiful mortal apologetically.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 04:41:44 PM »
Jack took such information in stride.

"Where are we going?" he asked, hearing the plural and inviting himself without realising.  He\'d believed he\'d been offered to join and he heard no apology in the tone.  He\'d accepted the comment as an invitation so completely that any denial on Kerr\'s part would feel like a withdrawal of his initial offer.  Backpedalling, as it was sometimes called.

He was certainly dressed to go out clubbing more so than his identical counterpart, with a silvery shimmering shirt buttoned up and loose over tight black jeans and heavy black boots with silver buckles.  The eyeliner Kerr had been considering was also thick around his eyes; he knew the vampire liked it, thought it was sexy, and he wanted to appeal to him.  His skin was warm and already tanning from the daylight hours he\'d spent earlier that day - it didn\'t take long for the young man to soak up the sun and relish it.  He knew it would eventually be gone from him, but he was prepared to sacrifice sunlight for an opportunity to walk upon the land instead of sleeping within it.  Fair swap.

Ben followed Kerr to the door, curious about the visitor and seeing glimpses of him as he stood feeling like a third wheel behind his sire.  He saw the outfit Jack had and immediately felt ridiculously underdressed - especially since Kerr had achieved such a hot look with a few simple items.  Very suddenly he wished he\'d put on a nice button-up shirt and some dressier shoes.  He\'d never thought of Risk as a place to dress up for, but he supposed he\'d been immature to think of it that way.  Socially inept, even.

His gaze was caught by Jack\'s, who looked over Kerr\'s shoulder at him.  There was something about the smile that surfaced that Ben wasn\'t too keen on.  It looked superior, to him.  Maybe it was just his head messing with him, maybe Jack\'s smile was a regular smile and it was only because Ben was feeling inferior to him that made it seem that way.  Only Kerr would know, he figured.  Seeing as the two of them were... connected.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 04:52:13 PM »
Deception came more easily to Kerr these days; the realisation was mildly startling in an absent sort of way.  His response to Jack was smooth and well acted.  "Ben and I are going to Risk," he said sternly, reaching out and cupping Jack\'s cheek possessively, staring hard into his eyes, "you are going nowhere near such a place while you\'ve got a beating heart that will sing to any old blood drinker with a yen for something sweet and fresh."

He scanned Jack\'s face and he also found that his possessiveness wasn\'t an act.  Jack was his and if anyone was going to drink from him, it would be Kerr, not some older and/or mentally superior vampire who could easily best him... then do as they wished with such a pretty bauble like Jack.  His next words were also spoken in the manner of a domineering lover, rather than a casual acquaintance.

"Why don\'t you go and settle your things into your room - I put you in the one beside mine - and see what sort of other things you\'d like to have in there.  Then you can go shopping and buy whatever you want, hrmm?"  He swiped a thumb gently across Jack\'s lower lip (part of him still amazed that he could act this part so flawlessly, like there was something in the mortal that triggered it) as he asked his question... though they both knew it wasn\'t so much a question as a command.  "We\'ll be back in a few hours."

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 05:02:33 PM »
At first there was a growing disappointment as Kerr corrected himself, though it faded quickly enough as Kerr explained his hesitation for bringing Jack along with him and his fledgling to a place such as Risk.  Jack absorbed Kerr\'s words completely, smiling first at Ben and then at Kerr when he made eye contact with one and then the other.  Ben\'s perceptions were unwarranted, for there was nothing in Jack\'s gaze that belied smugness, for he was simply pleased to find Kerr was thinking of him - was protecting him.

The smile only broadened when he was told his room lay near Kerr\'s.  This meant that Ben wasn\'t, and it relieved Jack a great deal.  He couldn\'t stop himself from his tongue meeting Kerr\'s swiping thumb, peeking it out and taking a taste of the vampire\'s cool digit, the obvious sexuality in the maneouvre lost on both Ben and the cabbie, neither of whom noticed for it had been a subtle swipe.  Jack and Kerr, however, would know.

"I\'d love to shop," he said, then turned to the cabbie.  "You\'ll wait for me?" he asked, not realising that the mute nod of the driver was more because of Kerr\'s mental hold on him rather than any natural acquiesence on his part.  "I\'ll just drop these off," he said, struggling with the heavy suitcase and being followed by the cabbie who held two of them easily, thanks to his hefty size and strength.  The pair disappeared into the house, even while Ben looked after them, turning back to Kerr after a moment.

"Should I change?" he asked, still feeling inadequately dressed.