Author Topic: Return of the Lost Boy  (Read 12619 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Return of the Lost Boy
« on: December 26, 2009, 07:35:08 AM »
continued from New York, New York

THE APARTMENT WAS SPACIOUS AND nice, with carpeting throughout the combined lounge and dining.  The kitchen was tiny and out of the way, which suited Ben fine.  The only item on the countertop that would prove useful was a microwave that could warm up baggies of blood, if that was how he was going to be fed.

Kerr had explained there was a single bedroom to the left, and the other door led to a large marbled bathroom, with bath and separate shower.  When Ben pulled his suitcase into the bedroom, he found a queen sized bed against the opposite wall from the door, and to the right were two armchairs facing the window (still unshuttered, though it was obvious to see that they would roll down - automatically half an hour before daylight, Kerr explained) and a glass door to enter the balcony.  Kerr also explained that if he was trapped out there when the shutters came down, there was a button on the outer wall he could push to raise them for one minute, allowing him to enter inside.  Ben was impressed with the place he\'d been given.

"Thank you," he said, for the fifth time since they\'d arrived at his new living quarters, looking at Kerr and wondering if he would spend the night with him.  He doubted his sire would attempt anything sexual between them, but Ben would be surprised if he excused himself to leave rather than to offer to stay.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Lost Boy
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »
Kerr rolled his eyes and laughed, rubbing his right hand back and forth across the top of his head as the rest of him stretched.  "I\'ve told you, you don\'t need to thank me!" he exclaimed, finishing his stretch and dropping his hands back to his hips.  His tie was long gone (tucked into his jacket pocket, which he\'d tossed onto the couch when they\'d entered the suite), a few buttons were open at his throat and he was feeling weary - mostly because of how eventful the night had been.

Dawn was rapidly approaching and Kerr had realised that he likely wouldn\'t make it back to the Capital but that was alright - he had his own office and bed here at the Chambers that he could use in an emergency.  He still couldn\'t bring himself to leave Ben just yet, though.  The plane trip had been filled with inane (and repeated) conversation about Kerr\'s plane, how it was used when he wasn\'t using it and introducing Ben to the flight staff.  They remembered him well enough to prompt a few comments but Kerr\'s reluctance to expand on the topic kept everything professional.

Although he\'d offered Ben frequent use of the jet, should he need to fly back to New York to continue his modelling career, nothing had really been said and Kerr wasn\'t sure he should push it.  Everything was still too fresh, had happened too rapidly; both he and his fledgling likely needed some processing time and there was always tomorrow night.  He would be here at the Chambers when he awoke - and stay for work, admittedly, but he\'d make time to show Ben around before his shift began.

"It\'s hardly a palace," the oligarch murmured, surveying the functional bedroom (only becoming aware, at that moment, that they were having this conversation in the bedroom, rather than moving back out to the lounge, and wondering if he could subtly move them), "but it\'s clean and functional.  It will give you somewhere to get everything back in order.  You can call room service for blood twenty-four hours a day, by the way, as well as store some here or just rely on hunting, if you wish. I, uh, won\'t be advertising your presence here," he said, his posture and wording demonstrating that he felt awkward about saying what he was about to say.

"I have many friends here - oddly, asking an arch demon if he\'s the counterpart to an arch angel - except for the pronunciation - amused him so much it endeared me to his entire clan (though I\'m sure they laugh at me, not with me, most of the time) - but I take nothing for granted.  Especially with Declan occasionally deigning to lurk about the halls and pretend he\'s working," Kerr explained scornfully, his light tone changing dramatically when he switched from discussing his friends to those he considered his enemies.  Ben might not really remember his time with the redhead but Kerr certainly did and he wasn\'t interested in having the two reunite if he could help it.

"That said," he continued more brightly changing the subject to a more positive topic as he turned on the spot and headed towards the doorway, dawdling so as to give Ben time to take a step to follow him to the lounge or stay put and have him stop moving, "I wouldn\'t have you locked in your room while you\'re here.  Tomorrow night, before work, I\'ll show you around so you know where everything is - I\'m sure you\'ll enjoy the library we have here, it\'s phenomenal," he grinned.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 09:09:44 AM »
Kerr talked and Ben listened, giving light smiles in the appropriate places, and then following Kerr when he made to move into the lounge.  It sounded much like a wrapping up, even as the pair of them walked into the lounge, and so Ben came to a stop only a few steps after leaving the bedroom, his expression of interest changing to one of a light frown.

"You\'re not staying here with me?" he asked, unable to hide the disappointment in his voice.  It would be the first time he\'d slept alone in a long time and the thought of it made him feel unprotected.  He\'d been told many a time that Themba kept him safe being with him all the time, it only made sense to transfer that safety zone to Kerr.  If Kerr left him in this room alone - even with all the demons and the Oligarchy around - he wouldn\'t feel right.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 04:05:14 PM »
Kerr opened his mouth, about to give a smooth response in the affirmative, when he stopped, realising that this was no ordinary request.  Ben wasn\'t just back here because he missed the city, he\'d run away from horror and he was likely traumatised, even if he was hiding it well.  His query about Kerr staying was therefore a plea he hadn\'t given enough consideration to - or any at all, for that matter.

Ben needed him.

"Well, no, I don\'t have to, I was just assuming you might want some time and space on your own, that\'s all, and was going to go to my suite upstairs for the day.  I can easily go up and get a change of clothes and come back, though, if I wouldn\'t be an inconvenience," he smiled gently, reaching up to pinch Ben\'s chin softly between his thumb and forefinger.

There was also the fact that Jenna was likely to ring Kerr any moment, as generally happened when she was about to begin her day and he was laying down for his night.  Of course, she assumed he was still in New York but she would be keen to know how everything was going with Ben - he didn\'t want to have the conversation with her in front of his fledgling, though.  The longer he went without knowing about her the better, considering how Ben always felt he never got enough attention from Kerr.

He was sure Jenna would understand that he needed to give his fledgling some focus for a little while... he didn\'t trust Ben to be so forgiving, even if they were no longer a couple, so as soon as Ben affirmed that he wanted Kerr to spend the day with him, he\'d slip out and make the phone call while he walked, explaining the situation to his girlfriend.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 06:54:16 PM »
"I\'d like you to be with me," Ben confirmed, looking at Kerr steadily and glad that the offer to stay had been made.  He\'d feel lost if left alone, he knew it in his gut already.  The thought terrified him in fact, after being cossetted and manipulated by Themba he was used to having someone with him all the time.  Whenever he wasn\'t, he was either in danger (mostly from Anu) or

whoring

rebelling.  There was nobody who recognised him here.  He wouldn\'t walk down the street here and have fans come up to him because his face was plastered on a billboard or on buses.  New York had embraced him with a double-edged sword, while this city forgot about him.  Kerr was his only connection to this place, to his home, and he wouldn\'t let that go lightly.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 07:59:55 PM »
"Then you shall have it," he smiled, grasping Ben\'s neck lightly and holding him in place while he leaned forward to kiss his forehead.  "I\'ll be right back," he promised, scooping up his jacket and closing the door of the apartment with a quiet snick.  Heading for the elevator, he dialled Jenna\'s number but waited for the doors to close behind him and the small box to begin its ascent before he hit the call button.

They laughed over the fact that she\'d been about to call him, exchanging loving, \'I miss you,\'s and stirring his feeling of guilt very quickly.  He told her immediately that he was back in the city, that a horrible surprise had met him in New York and she was understandably sympathetic and gasped in all the right places when he described Ben\'s emotional trauma.  He explained that his treatment meant he didn\'t want to be left alone, so he was spending the night with him at the Chambers and keeping him living there until he felt safe that the African ancient wouldn\'t come after him.

He wasn\'t sure whether Jenna\'s somewhat reserved comments after his explanation were genuine or the product of his overactive guilt, but he finished the conversation with a promise to see her after work the next night and a brief, lurid description of what he couldn\'t wait to do to her that made her laugh.  It felt surreal, though, and he couldn\'t understand the dissonance, so he ended the conversation quickly afterward.

After hurriedly gathering a suit for tomorrow night, a pair of boxer briefs that he could wear to bed with Ben (and wasn\'t that something he wasn\'t thinking too hard about, especially after being on the phone with

Mandy

Jenna) and his toiletries bag, Kerr went back down to Ben\'s room, knocking to request entry.  He smiled sheepishly as he walked in with his armload of supplies and apologised for bringing so much stuff, bustling in and placing it in the bedroom, where he\'d dress when he awoke.

Asking if Ben minded if he showered - there seemed to be a lot of grime to wash off, after their dealings in New York, though he knew it was all psychological - Kerr took his toiletries into the bathroom and set about doing that.  When he was finished, he emerged into the bedroom in his underwear, his hair finger combed and only slightly damp.  "That feels much better," he smiled, heading for the bed to turn down his usual side, "I think that city left grease marks on me.  Perhaps it was that... group, though," he muttered, describing vague circles in the air as he sought a name for the Nemesis group.

His mouth seemed ready to carry him away, now that the time where he\'d lay down beside Ben again, after so long, was fast approaching.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 08:56:33 PM »
Ben didn\'t do anything much except stop and stare around the Oligarchy room while Kerr was on the phone and away from him.  It felt peculiar, to be in a familiar city in unfamiliar surroundings.  He thought he would\'ve felt better being in Kerr\'s home (though he knew that there was a split from Sawyl and that was for the best for Kerr), or even the ocean house that he\'d stayed in for a short time before running away.  Something familiar would\'ve been more grounding.  When Kerr returned and he answered the door to let his sire in, he realised Kerr was all the grounding he needed.

He didn\'t say much to Kerr\'s armload of supplies, other than a short comment that it was alright for Kerr to bring them if they were needed.  At the request for a shower Ben nodded, removing his shirt and shoes, waiting for his turn in the bathroom.  He hadn\'t gone in because he\'d not known how long Kerr was going to be after going to his room and getting things - figuring he would only be a short while.  Kerr took longer than expected, but it still wouldn\'t have been time to shower, he thought.

Once Kerr was out, breezing towards the bed and dressed in his underwear, blaming how dirty he felt from contact with the Nemeses, Ben excused himself to shower also, thinking the same thing - that he wanted to get the scent of Themba off him, and the city in its entirety as well.

In the bathroom he undressed completely, folding his clothes and setting them in a neat pile on the bathroom counter.  The mirror was slightly steamy from Kerr\'s shower, but he was okay with not seeing himself.  Stepping under the hot spray, warming his cool body up, he soaped himself efficiently and rinsed himself off, taking no longer than five minutes and not bothering with his hair other than to wet it.

He towelled himself dry vigorously, not wanting to wet the pillow or sheets, and instead of wrapping the towel around his hips, he hung it over the rail and entered the bedroom naked, unaware of how his nudity would affect his sire.  It was ingrained in him to not care so much about whose eyes saw his body anymore, especially if he was sharing a bed with someone (even if not his body).  He moved to the bed on the side Kerr left for him, and moved under the covers without a word being said by either of them.

Once he shuffled beneath the covers, it was instinctive in him to move towards Kerr, to wrap himself against him.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 09:42:11 PM »
When Kerr noticed Ben coming so nonchalantly out of the bathroom (naked), he did a double take, but did his best to settle down on his pillow and ignore it.  He expected his fledgling had just forgotten to take a change of clothes into the bathroom and he would walk to his suitcase... when he didn\'t and got intro the bed, Kerr tensed.  When the blonde then moved towards him, Kerr actually sat upright, a hand held out between them as if to ward Ben off.

"Hang on a minute... what are you doing?" he asked, a nervous laugh coming from him in an attempt to lighten his question.  The warble in his voice declared that he was uncomfortable, though.  "You, uh, seem to have forgotten some pants."  He laughed again, but it was no more convincing than it had been the first time.  The thought of sleeping with Ben naked was extremely disconcerting.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 09:48:04 PM »
When Kerr sat up, Ben froze, confused.  He looked at Kerr, wide-eyed, in the darkness of the bedroom - light enough for anyone with supernatural sight - and when the first question came, he answered it simply.  He\'d been trained to answer everything asked of him promptly and honestly.

"I want you to hold me," he said innocently, seeking protection rather than sex because Kerr had already told him that he hadn\'t wanted that from him.  At the second question Ben frowned and thought for a moment before guessing what Kerr wanted of him.  "Do you want me to put some on?" he asked, figuring Kerr might\'ve meant underwear instead of full pants, but he would prompt for what Kerr wanted once he pulled the appropriate clothes out of his suitcase.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 09:56:32 PM »
Kerr frowned, feeling very... misplaced.  It was like... like it wasn\'t Ben at all, to be so immodest - even when they\'d been sexually active he\'d always had a modicum of shyness and decorum about him.

"Uh... you don\'t think it\'s a little... odd?  For, uh, us to sleep here with, uh, you naked?" he stammered, his mind a jumble of all the things he wanted to say but couldn\'t get out properly.

I\'m still attracted to you
want you
love you
find you beautiful
I won\'t
might not
keep my hands to myself and
I\'m seeing someone and
it wouldn\'t be right
not at all
At all.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 10:01:35 PM »
Odd?  He was confused by Kerr\'s question, much like some of Themba\'s questions confused him.  The confusion made him wary and uncomfortable, and so he explained himself as best he could, like he\'d done so to an Ancient that constantly challenged his motives.

"We used to sleep together, you said.  I thought you\'d like me naked," he replied, but that wasn\'t all that was driving him, he knew, and so he added the rest.  "I always sleep naked," he explained, having grown used to it.  He wondered if he should ask Kerr again if he should put some pants on, but figured Kerr would tell him to anyway, if that was what he wanted.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 10:15:21 PM »
Kerr blinked, his face jerking a little like he\'d been slapped, to fully communicate his surprise.  "What?  You always sleep naked?  Since when?!  You never used to climb into bed naked!" he exclaimed, feeling somewhat embarrassed by this conversation - if he\'d been human, his cheeks would\'ve been burning - not that he knew why, exactly.

Belatedly, he realised that Ben didn\'t know what he used to do and he\'d obviously changed since being with Themba.  Awkwardly, he looked down at the covers pooled around his lap, straightening and smoothing them reflexively as he cleared his throat.  "I\'m sorry.  I\'m probably overreacting," he confessed, "it\'s just... I\'m still, uh... you\'re still... I think it would be difficult for me to keep my hands to myself, knowing you were, uh, naked," he finished in a flustered rush, not finding it easy to meet Ben\'s eye.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 10:20:54 PM »
When told he\'d never climbed into bed naked before, Ben understood that it was a Themba thing.  He remembered in his apartment he\'d dressed himself in underwear before crawling into the covers, which felt like a strange thing to do now, because there was nobody watching.

The admission afterward had him feeling a little better about his habit to join Kerr while nude.  It felt like he wasn\'t being rejected after all.

"You don\'t have to keep your hands to yourself," Ben told him, propping himself up on his elbows so he could look up at Kerr sincerely, while also prone for Kerr to claim him if he so wished.  "If you want me you can have me.  I\'ll do whatever you like," he promised, without shame.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 10:24:41 PM »
The sense of surreality only increased as Kerr blinked slowly at Ben.  Obviously, it was time for him to confess, to put a stop to this weirdness.  "I\'m... seeing someone.  Fairly regularly.  It... wouldn\'t be appropriate," he said weakly, not sounding convinced.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Ben wasn\'t one to push the issue, though he\'d thought Kerr telling him that he wanted to touch him while he was naked was a way of saying that he wanted Ben\'s permission to do so.  To get Ben\'s offer and then admit that there was someone else he preferred to be with was another source of confusion.  Ben didn\'t take the rejection harshly, as he might\'ve in his past with Kerr, but after a quiet pause he repeated his earlier question, though with a slight change.

"So if I put underwear on, will you hold me?" he asked, hoping it didn\'t mean that Kerr would make him sleep in his own space, without the security of feeling someone at his side.